shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought a lab OMC--how did I do?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this lab 1.51 E VS1 OMC. Lab OMCs aren't easy to find, and the price was good. I didn't post here beforehand asking for advice (because I was afraid of lurkers snatching it up), but I will have 30 days to return it after it arrives, so please give me your honest opinions.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it from the video. :) Please tell us your impressions when you receive it.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have and ASET or Idealscope? You'll want to check for light leakage, and I feel like it's tough to tell on OMCs with these videos. Maybe @Karl_K can help?

It looks super pretty to me with that high crown, but I know very little about OMC light performance.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
not wonky enough lol.
Might or might not be a bit dark up close under the table in person. If so its more of a pendant stone than a ring.
min. leakage is excellent by modern standards.
Which comes back to the lack of wonk and no old timey vibe.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do you have and ASET or Idealscope? You'll want to check for light leakage, and I feel like it's tough to tell on OMCs with these videos. Maybe @Karl_K can help?

It looks super pretty to me with that high crown, but I know very little about OMC light performance.

I have an Idealscope. The GCAL report says it's excellent for "optical brilliance"--I THINK that means it's not very leaky. I guess I'll see when it arrives.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
not wonky enough lol.
Might or might not be a bit dark up close under the table in person. If so its more of a pendant stone than a ring.
min. leakage is excellent by modern standards.
Which comes back to the lack of wonk and no old timey vibe.

LOL Karl! Yeah, you have a good point--it might not be romantic-looking enough.

Wonkiness aside, what do you think of the quality of the material? And what about the "Good" cut grade from GCAL--is that a concern? It puzzled me why the cut grade was "good" with minimal leakage. Did they ding it for the depth, 62.8% (too shallow/spready for a true OMC, maybe)? Or is the table too big at 54%?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
no one has a scale for a omc so its being graded on another cuts scale so ignore that.
Im not at my pc to check the crystal will try to do it later.
It takes looking at smaller details than overall cut.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have an Idealscope. The GCAL report says it's excellent for "optical brilliance"--I THINK that means it's not very leaky. I guess I'll see when it arrives.
On the report page the white image with the blue center, blue is leakage and grey is very minor leakage.
It just has a few small areas of leakage other than the culet.
An open culet is always leaky.
Overall excellent and will also pass an Ideal Scope test.
To good actually for me. I love old wonky OMCs.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
On the report page the white image with the blue center, blue is leakage and grey is very minor leakage.
It just has a few small areas of leakage other than the culet.
An open culet is always leaky.
Overall excellent and will also pass an Ideal Scope test.
To good actually for me. I love old wonky OMCs.

Thanks, Karl! That's very helpful.

I like wonky old cuts too, but I haven't seen anything romantically wonky in a lab diamond, especially for the price I paid, and my budget for this doesn't stretch to an actual antique. So this is an experiment--I hope I don't dislike the unwonkitude when I see it in person. If I do, back it goes.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Karl on the "lack of wonkiness" just in general on the lab OEC - i have been struggling with that on my 2 old cuts! i wish it wasnt so 'perfect'!

This looks beautiful to me but you'll have to see when it comes if you love it!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Karl on the "lack of wonkiness" just in general on the lab OEC - i have been struggling with that on my 2 old cuts! i wish it wasnt so 'perfect'!

This looks beautiful to me but you'll have to see when it comes if you love it!

Wonk or no wonk, if my stone is a fraction as lovely as your two, Inked, I will not complain!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a great find. Can't wait to see your impression when its in your hand!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's here! Definitely keeping it. It's bright, beautiful, fiery. It doesn't go dark up close. Planes of light and color wink on when you tilt it. I can't find the feathers the certificate reports, even with a loupe. It's not what Karl calls "wonky," but it doesn't look like a robot, either.

Now I have to decide how to set it.

It came in a lucite box held together with magnets:
IMG_1847.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

Side view:
IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

The back:
IMG_1907.jpeg

Here it is with my grandparents' 1.6ish OEC (K/L color) and my 1.45 CBI (S color). The three diamonds are about the same carat weight, and the diameters aren't that far apart either, but the height of the settings is making the OMC look much smaller than the other two.
IMG_1945.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it and it looks right at home with your other diamonds which are also beautiful.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is with my grandparents' 1.6ish OEC (K/L color) and my 1.45 CBI (S color). The three diamonds are about the same carat weight, and the diameters aren't that far apart either, but the height of the settings is making the OMC look much smaller than the other two.
IMG_1945.jpeg
See this right here is my dream collection of cuts! I have embarked on a probably years long process of expanding my fine jewelry collection, and I’ve been thinking a lot of what I want, and for diamonds this trio about sums it up. Round old cut, a super ideal MRB and an antique style cusion. I have a round antique. Need the others. And when I do get a cushion I think I want basically exactly this cushion you have right here!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @dreamer_dachsie. I'm sure you'll find your dream cushion soon--there do seem to be antique cushions like this floating around, and prices of lab diamonds seem to be getting better and better.

Supposedly my rings are coming home on Tuesday. My grandparents' OEC is being set in an elaborate antique deco filigree setting, and the cushion is going into the setting the OEC was in. I'm eager to be able to wear them.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it, amazing fire and beautiful cut.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Sigh. My jeweler is setting this diamond in the repro edwardian setting where my grandparents' OEC lives and is setting the OEC in an antique deco setting I found for it. I was supposed to be picking them up today, but he's not done yet, because he's making a setting for an 11.07 ct exquisitely cut D FL cushion-shaped natural diamond! (I slightly altered some of those details for privacy--the owner of the giant D FL might not like to read about it online, in the unlikely event that they happen to be a PSer.)

I'm not really complaining--I understand that the giant-diamond job is tricky, scary, and well paying, and I totally don't blame him for bumping my rings for it. I'm very lucky he bothers with my little jobs at all. But I wish I could wear my new OMC and my old OEC in their new dresses NOW.

Last edited:

Unusual_Minimum

Rough_Rock
How did it end up looking in the setting? So beautiful on your hand!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Got it back today. I had it set in a repro Edwardian setting I bought 20-some years ago to hold my grandmother's OEC, which she had given me set in a necklace. I moved the OEC to an antique deco setting from the period when my grandfather gave it to her as an engagement ring, leaving the repro setting free for this lab OMC. I'll take better photos tomorrow during daylight.
IMG_3433.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 27

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! This setting really looks great for your lovely OMC. When you placed it in the other setting, it wasn't the star but now it is. I think you choose well for both your diamonds. Nicely done!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stopping by to say this is amazing. What a beautiful ring. You found a really well cut authentic looking stone that looks perfect in that setting.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out gorgeous, glitterata! :love: Wear in the best of health!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks amazing @glitterata !! Looks so authentically original to my eyes. Love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results