shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love your opinion with the following GIA certificate

np0001

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and am looking at proposing to my partner in the coming months. I would also like to apologise in advance if I am posting the following question(s) in the wrong section of the forum. If I have and if another member could guide me in the right direction, would really appreciate this.

I have attached a GIA grading report for your perusal and would love to welcome any input you may have on the following diamond. I was offered the option to spend another $500AUD for a 1.01 ct diamond with no fluorescence, but not sure if it is worth the extra money? I have placed a deposit with the provision to change my mind upon inspection of the diamond (which will arrive in one weeks time).

Please note that I am really new to all of this and have only really begun educating myself these past couple of weeks by reading threads on this wonderful site - so thank you to all who frequent pricescope :).

Look forward to your responses.

Regards,
Nic

Attachments

• GIA Report.pdf
    95.4 KB · Views: 138

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely DO NOT buy this stone! It's cut much deeper than we would like to see, and the proportions are off. You are paying more than you should because the carat weight is 1ct (which "should" be 6.5mm), but this stone is only 6.2/6.3mm because of the deep cut.

What is your budget/preferred specs? We can definitely find you something better within your budget!

np0001

Rough_Rock
Hi - thank you for your prompt reply. My budget is $9,000-$9,500 AUD for the diamond.

Preferred specs are D VS2, with fluorescence none - faint, but would settle with medium.

Thx,
Nick

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to add: if you want to look yourself at the various online vendors we recommend, stick within these proportions:

54-57 table
60-62.4 depth
34-35 crown
40.6-40.9 pavilion
75-80 LGF

Alternatively, if you want to take out all the guesswork and checking of numbers, you can buy a "branded" super ideal stone from one of the recommended vendors (e.g. Whiteflash "a cut above", high performance diamonds "crafted by infinity", or one of the Brian Gavin signature ideals). Those will come at a bit of a premium, but all have good return/upgrade policies and it means you can buy without worrying about "perfect" numbers, since all of that is done for you.

Mostly depends on your budget and preferred specs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi - thank you for your prompt reply. My budget is $9,000-$9,500 AUD for the diamond.

Preferred specs are D VS2, with fluorescence none - faint, but would settle with medium.

Thx,
Nick

Thanks! Is there a specific reason for needing a D color? D colored stones will come at an (unnecessary, IMHO) cost, as most people can't tell the difference between a D/E/F stone (all look colorless). When you get to G/H there are people who can see a "tint", but I am not sure even the most discerning PSer could tell a D from an E. Just something to consider in terms of getting the most for your budget!

np0001

Rough_Rock
Well my partner has really small fingers and my philosophy is Cut, Colour, Clarity, Carrot. I would gladly sacrifice the carrot size given the size of her fingers (I think they're size 4 or thereabouts). Having tried a 1ct diamond on her finger, this fits ideally.

Again, I could be very wrong for thinking like this and would definitely take all feedback on board!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes sense--definitely cut is most important! Did she try on GIA graded stones that were D/E/F/G and say she wanted a high color? Again, just trying to gauge, since color-sensitivity is so personal. In most cases, anything G and above is safely "white" enough, except if you happen to know that she is color sensitive.

I'm sure more experienced posters will help as well, but I'll take a quick look to see what I can find.

Only issue is I have no clue how much $ to allocate for shipping/VAT charges. Looks like your budget is around 6800 USD, so I'll try to stick with stones 6500 and under, but please let me know if I'm underestimating!

np0001

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much lovedogs - yes, she did try on the GIA graded stones that were D/E/F and advised that she would settle for D/E colour, however I believe if it were an E that I would need increase on the carrot size to compensate for the money I saved dropping from D to E?

Either way, happy for you to come back with what you can find :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much lovedogs - yes, she did try on the GIA graded stones that were D/E/F and advised that she would settle for D/E colour, however I believe if it were an E that I would need increase on the carrot size to compensate for the money I saved dropping from D to E?

Either way, happy for you to come back with what you can find :)

I'm not loving what they have at James Allen right now in your price/color range, and it's getting late here, but I'll re-start searching tomorrow!

In terms of a "super-ideal" that you wouldn't have to fuss about angles or anything else, here's a great one from whiteflash:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3929359.htm

I'm 98% sure this would be "eye-clean", and WF says it is, but you could have them check if you are interested in it. It's good size for your budget, and keeps you in "E" color range.

But I'll try to find other options as well!

np0001

Rough_Rock
Thanks lovedogs - get some rest and we can touch base again :). Appreciate your hard work on this.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Nick,

Congratulations on your coming engagement! I second what lovedogs said about the cut. As a minimum you should stick to Excellent Cut/Polish/Symmetry (referred to as GIA XXX) and also try to stay as close to the proportions range as possible. Although you could also consider a so called 60/60 cut, when both table and depth % are close to 60%. It would give a diamond a different look (more brightness vs more fire) but with the right crown and pavilion angles those diamonds can be really beautiful.
I also think it might be difficult to find an excellent cut 1ct D/VS2 that would fit your budget. I’d suggest not to disregard SI1 clarity and/or go just under one carat, which would yield a similar spread but cost significantly less. Just like what lovedogs found from WF, and I really like the F/VS2 option she suggested, too.

np0001

Rough_Rock
F855DD32-8568-4E72-8262-AE9FD862F97B.jpeg You all are legends!! Thanks so much for your input, it’s invaluable! I was also presented with this option here. Now that I’ve learnt a thing or two about the “spread/surface area” — I’m guessing that I probably should have gone with this option instead?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F855DD32-8568-4E72-8262-AE9FD862F97B.jpeg You all are legends!! Thanks so much for your input, it’s invaluable! I was also presented with this option here. Now that I’ve learnt a thing or two about the “spread/surface area” — I’m guessing that I probably should have gone with this option instead?
What are all the measurements on the graphic of the diamond?

np0001

Rough_Rock
I will have to go back into the boutique to take another photo of the certificate ... this was taken a week ago and looks like I didn’t capture the entire certificate! Sorry.

Lazare000EX

Rough_Rock
Here u go.. not necessary to go back to the stall to capture the entire certificate.

Attachments

• 1289098434.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 55

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, you can utilize this calculator to identify taxes and duties for Australia. Please note that using a loose stone vs e-ring will sometimes produce different results. Less tax is collected on loose stones in some locations.

https://www.jamesallen.com/tax-calculator/

Regarding the first stone. Absolutely not. Too deep @ 64.7%. 36 crown & 41.8 pavilion angle combo is atrocious. If you were to stick with a 60/60 stone (table = 60% and depth = 60%) then a 33/41 angle combo could work beautifully for you.

As it stands, here is the existing GIA cert and also the proposed cut grade. G = good, which means very, very bad in reality.

Please, do NOT buy this stone.

GIA Report.png

Capture.PNG

Your last stone is better, but still not where you need or want to be. While not technically a 60/60 stone, you are getting a 58% table and 59.5% depth. As such you are seeing this fall into EX, or excellent, territory as it's nearing ideal proportions for a 60/60 style stone.

I still would not buy this stone, or recommend that you buy either.

1289098434.png

Capture2.PNG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one is better (from looking at the measurements via the gia number), but still not great, especially if you haven't seen / know you prefer 60/60 style stones.

Edit. @sledge thanks for the VAT calculator! Looks like 6500 stone means 670 in VAT, so I was being overly optimistic in terms of budget. Probably safer to stick with 6400 USD and under.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree it’s good idea to check if you like the look of a 60/60 stone before you go for one. But if you do, I think the option you posted looks very good, even if the crown angle could be a bit closer to 33 like sledge suggested. Still, it will be very bright with good light return and great spread. Are you familiar with the HCA tool?
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the exchange rate today, I calculate your budget as follows.
  • 9,500$ AUD = approx $6,800 USD
  • Aussie Tax (on stone only) = 10%, or $680 USD
  • Actual budget = $6,180 USD
Question -- does this budget include your setting, or is this for the stone only? If setting too, we need to adjust parameters and need to know your location in Australia so we can get the correct tax & duty rate.

If you don't mind staying under 1 carat.....

0.90ct D VS2, $4,970 USD
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5215273

np0001

Rough_Rock
Good morning from Australia all! I am really thrilled from the amount of support I am receiving on this thread from you all, it's greatly appreciated.

I should have joined this forum long before placing a deposit on the D VS2, which you all have advised not to buy. It's funny, I always had this funny feeling in my gut about it, but I still persisted.

The good news is, I can change my mind about the diamond, which is reassuring. The not so good news is (and wouldn't really call it "not so good"), after speaking with the diamond dealer, I don't get a full refund, which means that I need to purchase the diamond through them.

The reassuring aspect of all this is that their customer service is exceptional and the sales rep is certainly not pushy towards a particular piece. Even though I kept pushing for a "D" colour diamond, the sales rep even questioned me on "why" it needs to be a "D". After reading all the above responses, why? I don't even know anymore to tell you all the truth. I guess it's my OCD and me knowing that "D" is as clear a diamond can be on the colour scale. However, being so naive/ignorant (call it what you want) - it's up to me to muster all I can to purchase the perfect ring given my current position.

I have since re-evaluated the specifications and would be more than happy to purchase a stone with 1. Colour "E",
2. Clarity "VS2" ideally, but will also consider "SI1"
3. Making sure the proportions are within the set boundaries you have all specified to me (i.e. 60/60)
4. Still would love a 1 ct

@sledge - the budget is $9,500AUD for the stone only. The diamond dealer has a fixed price on the setting (if by setting you mean the band LOL) of $4,000 AUD, which my partner absolutely loves. The band is white gold with 0.34 point diamonds on the shoulders. I believe the total weight is 0.32 carrots.

Did I get ripped off? Meh, it is what it is - I guess I'm that type who will pay a little extra for the convenience hehe. But, hopefully knowing all this now, I'm not wasting anybody's time searching for online diamond dealers?

Look forward to anymore information I can gather before I choose the next stone.

Thx all,
Nick

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a few thoughts for you:
  • Yes, by setting I mean the ring the diamond gets mounted in.
  • 4,000$ AUD = approx $2,900 USD
  • I had a custom setting designed and made for my girl for about $700 USD less. It is crafted extremely well and made of a white gold palladium alloy. She had quite a few stones in hers too but center stone was H color so melee (side stones) are also G/H color to match. I'm not sure what color, clarity or cut your jeweler is using but you should ask. I know my jeweler put in better cut melee to match my super ideal center stone. Depending on the stones used, craftsmanship, metal type, etc this price may be fair or a little high. Can you post pics of the setting? Or provide a web link?
  • When we mentioned proportions I dont think anyone recommended a 60/60 stone. It seems you were being shown stones in that style. Most here DO NOT own or like 60/60 style stones as they provide more white light instead of pops of rainbow colors (fire). If you want a 60/60 stone then great but IMO you need to know and see the difference before agreeing to that style.
  • If you decide a 60/60 stone is what you want then some of the info on desired proportions suggested by others will change.
  • Does your dealer have access to D, E, F and G GIA certified stones? If so, have him pull each color in as near size, clarity and cut quality as possible to each other. Then have him randomize the order and NOT tell you which is which. See if you can tell a difference, and where the difference becomes obvious to you.
  • FYI, trained gemologist have a tough time discerning D and E. Most people can't see a difference from D-F. Some people with color sensitivity may see difference around G.
  • There isn't much price break between D and E stones. Dropping to an F provides more value and very white. G color is a sweet spot for good value and no color.
  • Please post specs of your next round of stones so we can help with proportions.
  • Being an Aussie, please contact Garry at Holloway Diamonds and get you an ASET scope to help further analyze cut quality.
DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

DKJPV_0629_WR-8.jpg

DKJPV_0629_WR-6.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@np001 My questions for you are how did you end up at D/E color, did your partner actually look at lower color stones, and does she understand the trade off between color and size?

FYI for every reduction in color grade there is a huge reduction in price. If you want to get close to 1.0 ct, then the only way for you to do this is to drop below an E grade. I suspect most of the ladies on this forum would be very happy to go down to G/H color to get a bigger stone, and the ladies here are very picky!!! Many here would even go I/J if set in yellow gold because the yellow metal obscures any color in the stone.

Also, please read this thread https://www.pricescope.com/communit...u-willing-to-compromise-for-a-bargain.243394/

Last edited:

np0001

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Please find attached most recent GIA certificate for another stone. Running it through the HCA calculator, I think it seems to fall in the criteria for a well balanced stone?

Attachments

• 1.01ct RBC E SI1 5191569800.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 48

np0001

Rough_Rock
@sledge & @prs - I'm currently at work and will reply to your questions as soon as I can!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

Please find attached most recent GIA certificate for another stone. Running it through the HCA calculator, I think it seems to fall in the criteria for a well balanced stone?

This is definitely better than the others. It still is more of a 60/60 style rather than the typical ideally cut stone. I just want to emphasize that some people love 60/60 stones, and even prefer them. Others, however, much prefer the more traditionally cut stone. I think a majority of people would prefer the colored fire of a traditional "ideally" cut stone, but that doesn't mean that you or your GF is in the majority.

I think it's honestly a safer bet to buy a more traditionally ideal stone, and to go down to F/G color in order to get a larger stone for the money.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

I like the fact that this diamond has a higher crown angle, combined with the 58% table it will have a higher dispersion than a more 'typical' 60/60. I think that in terms of balancing your needs (carat & color at a given budget) such stone could certainly be considered. I would be more concerned about the clarity here though as it probably won't be eye clean, and you should have a good look at that cloud in the center.

np0001

Rough_Rock
Hi Katya - apparently ALL stones are eye clean? But will arrive next week for me to inspect if I do go ahead with it ...

np0001

Rough_Rock
This is what the diamond dealer states of course ..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results