shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love some help picking a diamond for the fiancé

tk416

Rough_Rock
Hey folks,

Just looking into getting an engagement ring and wow this forum has been awesome.

I'm in Canada and have been looking at a few stones on Blue Nile.

Hoping that someone could chime in and let me know your thoughts on the few stones I have linked. I'm OK with an I stone I think... lol.. tbh, they all look the same

Also opened to some other recommendations. I'd like around a 1.5ct stone and it will be set into pave band.

Appreciate all the help.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

To be honest, I don't really like any of those options. The first 2 are too deep (so you are paying for weight that can't be seen) and the crown angles are too steep. The third one has a flatter crown than you want.

What are the specs you want and your budget?

tk416

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the response... I'm looking for around 1.5ct could be more or less, H-I coloured, and eye clean SI1 at the one end to VS1 or better I guess?

Budget for the stone would be around $12-13k CAD or around $10kUSD.

Am I dreaming of getting what I want in my budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate the response... I'm looking for around 1.5ct could be more or less, H-I coloured, and eye clean SI1 at the one end to VS1 or better I guess?

Budget for the stone would be around $12-13k CAD or around $10kUSD.

Am I dreaming of getting what I want in my budget?

Stay within the following parameters:

Table: 54-58 or 59
Depth: 60-62.4
pavillion angle: 40.6-40.8 (up to 41 if the crown angle is 34)
Crown angle: 34-35 (up to 35.5 if pavillion angle is 40.6)

This will help you get a stone that is likely to fall into ideal cut parameters (or close to it)

tk416

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation.

I actually saw this one there on the site as well but not sure the difference between expert selection and a cut above

Wondering if you'll be able to see any color or inclusions. My eyes aren't the same as they used to be. 47 yrs old and going the 2nd time around here. :) I could also stretch my budget if required by a little...

tk416

Rough_Rock
You guys are awesome by the way... really appreciate the quick feedback

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation.

I actually saw this one there on the site as well but not sure the difference between expert selection and a cut above

Wondering if you'll be able to see any color or inclusions. My eyes aren't the same as they used to be. 47 yrs old and going the 2nd time around here. :) I could also stretch my budget if required by a little...

You could ask them if it is eyeclean. I'm not sure it will be, unfortunately. But they would give an honest assessment.

tk416

Rough_Rock
Appreciate all the advice. Actually spoke to WF and they were amazing. Sent me a few options of ACA stone which were beautiful. They were both around the 1.4ct range. To go bigger the pricing jumped up considerably.

I was sent this one on BN and also wanted some opinions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate all the advice. Actually spoke to WF and they were amazing. Sent me a few options of ACA stone which were beautiful. They were both around the 1.4ct range. To go bigger the pricing jumped up considerably.

I was sent this one on BN and also wanted some opinions.

Don't look at ct weight--only look at mm size. Ct weight doesn't really matter if the stone is cut too deep, bc then all of the ct weight is "hidden" to the eye (e.g. it's hidden underneath the stone because it's deeper than it should be, so your eye doesn't "see" the bigger ct size). Does that make sense?

Example: you linked this one from BN: https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD14048407
It's a 1.5ct but it's too deep. It faces up at 7.28 x 7.33 (I"m ignoring the depth measurement because your naked eye doesn't "See" it..you only look at surface face up size). The WF 1.41 one here: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4166420.htm measures face up at 7.18 x 7.22

We tell people that anything less than .2mm difference isn't visible to the naked eye, especially in stones over 1ct. The differences here are .1mm and .2mm. You will NOT see those differences when you see the stone.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try this one.... it looks like it will be eye clean. Get on live chat & have them put it on hold for you so they can get confirmation it is eye clean & no transparency issues. It looks pretty clear to me. If you don't put it on hold, it might get poached. What colour metal are you looking at buying?

The HPD stone is going to set you back to about $14,500 Can plus tax, you can have them put it on hold. HPD also has a great upgrade program in case you find a smaller stone.

I am a WF customer & although the 1.40 is a bit small for what you want, it might be an option for you. If you want to get to that magic # at some point, it is easy to upgrade with them. You just pay $1 more & can upgrade. With BN you have to pay double what you paid. The WF stone is at a premium. You have to figure out if you want the bonus of being able to upgrade.

tk416

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for that... I'll ask them....

It's going into a platinum pave setting

tk416

Rough_Rock
So I've put this one on hold with BN so they can brig it in and see if its eye clean. I'd love to hera what you think? It falls into the parameters for Ideal cut that were mentioned above I believe.

Thanks for the suggestions. If this one doesn't pan out, I may go with the WF options.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
So I've put this one on hold with BN so they can brig it in and see if its eye clean. I'd love to hera what you think? It falls into the parameters for Ideal cut that were mentioned above I believe.

Thanks for the suggestions. If this one doesn't pan out, I may go with the WF options.

That looks very promising

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The WF stone is a better cut stone but will you notice that? Where have you gone to look at stones? What province are you in (tax rate)? The WF stone is approx $1600 more than BN (based on 13% tax). A good chunk of loonies. Lol. I find with BN I don’t pay wire, grab the points on your CC. With WF, I would pay the wire fee if you can. Ask Blue Nile to provide more images.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple from James Allen. You'll have to contact customer service to get the certs emailed to you. If you like them, maybe put them on hold & ask them if there's a PS discount. I searched up to depth of 62. Next option was 63. They have a horrible system. Ask if there are ASETS for these stones.

SKU 8968221
SKU 9272575

They suck. You'll have to copy & paste the SKU's. Or go through the list.

tk416

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much... I'll look into them as well... they look great at first glance.

tk416

Rough_Rock
I actually put the 1.58 o cert.jpeg n hold as well... I've attached the cert for review and opinions.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bugger took the 1.58 off the page. Usually they put "not available". :rolleyes: Can you put the link to the stone? Others can comment on the stone as well. It looks good. Tell JA you want the gemologist to weigh in on the stone. It might not be stateside in which you might have to buy it 1st. Don't go by what the customer service rep says about the stone. They don't know much. Everything is awesome & wonderful. Do they have a setting you like?

tk416

Rough_Rock
I can't find a link to it anymore.. I just have a hold number... Going through the settings now. I'll definitely ask for the gemologist to weigh in. I like the clarity grade better than the BN one. VS2 vs SI1.

Not crazy about all their settings but looking at :

and

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has she shown you styles she likes? Sent you pics?

If you're in the Toronto area, try Bill Leboeuf Jewellers. Adam has good pricing. There might be a designer you like.

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try this thread.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go with Whiteflash. I have not had great experiences with Blue Nile and their after purchase customer service is horrible!!! Their prices are good but Whiteflash has the whole package; great cut stones, beautiful settings, great upgrade policy and fantastic customer service!

tk416

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the amazing advice...

I think I've narrowed it now down to 2 from James Allen. I'd like to go WF but the cost premium is a little steep right now for me.

Here are the 2 links with their certs. the 1.58 is GIA and the 1.6 is IGI. the 1.58 is $9240 USD and $500USD more than the 1.6 from IGI.

Would love to get some opinions on them? They will be going either in a pave or solitaire setting.

jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.60-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9264096

jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.58-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8968221

cert-2.jpeg cert.jpeg

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for the GIA one. It looks like a nicer stone and GIA is a better lab.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results