shape
carat
color
clarity

Would a MRB look bad in an Art Deco setting?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_908.jpg
Assuming my diamond fits, bc this green stone looks too big for this setting, would my MRB look good? I have always adored Art Deco setting, esp the way the baguette seem to stem from the center stone. My fear is that this setting looks best with an oec or cs. Opinions welcomed! The melee is single cuts and not as blingy as full cuts. In the picture they look rather dull but the ring is very dirty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps it is the angle but it looks like the setting is meant to take an oval stone and that the current green stone fits it perfectly.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A mixture of old and new can be lovely and interesting! Where do you find all these great settings? I'm looking for something art deco myself but am having trouble finding something.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I took it to my estate jeweler and she took the stone out. She confirmed that my stone will fit bc the opening is for a round. The green stone is a synthetic and was crammed in there. However, the halo that will surround the stone will still produce an oval effect. Trying to see how a round would look inside an oval halo

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138 said:
A mixture of old and new can be lovely and interesting! Where do you find all these great settings? I'm looking for something art deco myself but am having trouble finding something.
Thank you! I was on vacation this past week in Nashville and stopped by a pawn shop and fell in love! They practically gave it to me!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
ooh dying to see!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally no. I do not like large modern cuts in antique settings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to agree with Niel that I am not fond of modern rounds in a deco setting. But I really and truly have a hard time believing that setting was originally for a round stone.

If you are interested in antique rings, I'd get one that has an antique diamond in it or a colored stone.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look fine, the setting really isn't that elaborate or extremely antique looking. The only thing is if you'd be ok with the oval shape.

edited to add I agree with AdaBeta.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
???
There are MRBs in deco settings all over the place. Probably boxcar loads of them have been done since 2004 or so, when deco style reproductions became popular. Pick up any bridal magazine and you'll see them. There are also OECs and OMCs set in contemporary settings, too. None of this offends me. :lol: :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very true about there being millions of Tacori, Simon G, Beverley K and other antique style settings sold with modern rounds and other modern stones!!! Not a thing wrong with it. I will just say that after having both styles of diamonds, I think antique style diamonds compliment the antique style settings the most! I am kind of a purist as I don't love antique stones in modern settings, either! But there are no rules! ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1467462014|4050764 said:
???
There are MRBs in deco settings all over the place. Probably boxcar loads of them have been done since 2004 or so, when deco style reproductions became popular. Pick up any bridal magazine and you'll see them. There are also OECs and OMCs set in contemporary settings, too. None of this offends me. :lol: :lol:

Yes, you certainly can do it. I'm just voicing my opinion, which is, true antique settings in my opinion look odd with modern stones with stones large enough to distinguish a faceting pattern on the hand. Modern rings like Tacori isn't the same as a true antique so in my mind not he same.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1467406459|4050567 said:
ihy138 said:
Thank you! I was on vacation this past week in Nashville and stopped by a pawn shop and fell in love! They practically gave it to me!

Where in Nashville? Taking DD to look at Belmont college. Might have to cruise by :Up_to_something:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered ring guards/wraps/custom "jackets" of some sort that would fit around a plain, delicate solitaire head to give you more options?

I ask because I believe you've reset this stone six or seven times in the past year and change. Cutting, unsetting, and setting are the most dangerous times in a diamond's life - that's when diamonds are most likely to be damaged. You clearly enjoy a multitude of looks - I would strongly recommend considering alternate ways of satiating your desires for variety that don't carry the risk associated with multiple resets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results