shape
carat
color
clarity

Would A Halo Be Overkill 3+ Carat Pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Florida

Rough_Rock
I am still searching, but I keep coming back to pear cuts. I have seen some nice pears with halos, but I don''t think the center stones were as big as what I am considering. I am thinking of a pink diamond halo.

I get the feeling that the halo would be too much and maybe I should stick with a simple solitaire setting.

I would appreciate any opinions. Pictures of large center stone pears with halos, would not be amiss either.
emteeth.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Katherine Heigl doesn''t think the look is too much and her ring looks amazing!! A three carat stone with a halo would be too much for me personally, but I have tiny fingers and a fairly simple lifestyle. If you hang out with a crowd with larger rings I think you would be fine! Go try on some blingy halos to get a better idea.

k-heigl-ering2[1].jpg

Florida

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 3:15:51 AM
Author: kcoursolle
Katherine Heigl doesn't think the look is too much and her ring looks amazing!! A three carat stone with a halo would be too much for me personally, but I have tiny fingers and a fairly simple lifestyle. If you hang out with a crowd with larger rings I think you would be fine! Go try on some blingy halos to get a better idea.
The ring isn't for me. I am trying to pull myself together and propose. She doesn't wear jewelry very often and then it is only simple platinum or silver earrings. The only thing she has really mentioned is that she likes emerald cut and pear cut diamonds. She also likes pink.

I think her fingers are small. They look small to me. Most of our friends' wives have rings that look pretty big to me.

I really want to surprise her and quite frankly, I don't think she would be that interested in looking at or picking out a ring (or any other jewelry).

This is tough. I have been lurking and learning and looking here. I see all of the beautiful ring photos and I still don't know what to get for her.

I can't really ask any of my friends for help, because I am a afraid they will blab to her. You all are my lifeline.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 3:30:14 AM
Author: Florida

She doesn't wear jewelry very often and then it is only simple platinum or silver earrings...I think her fingers are small....
Given this description, I really do think a haloed pear is overkill....and might start looking more like a 'cocktail ring'. Pears have a lot of spread so appear even bigger than their carat weight would suggest. (The pear pictured above might even be under three carats)

This is just my personal opinion, though. What do I know?
1.gif

widget

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 5:09:23 AM
Author: widget

She doesn't wear jewelry very often and then it is only simple platinum or silver earrings...I think her fingers are small....
Given this description, I really do think a haloed pear is overkill....and might start looking more like a 'cocktail ring'. Pears have a lot of spread so appear even bigger than their carat weight would suggest. (The pear pictured above might even be under three carats)

1.gif

widget
Sorry, but a 3 ct pear with a pink halo sounds like the opposite of what she would want. Where did you come up with the idea? Did she say this is what she wanted? Has she ever mentioned what shape she likes? Not all women like pears.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 9:38:52 AM
Author: Pricescope
Hi Florida, that''s what i would get for your girl, the ring is from http://www.etienneperret.com/gallery/engagementrings/ in yellow gold, i made it in Rose.

This setting is modern, simple, easy to ware and it''s pink.

Oh I WISH I would have done this with my original pear rather than trading it in!!! PS, too bad I found you too late... What a cool ring!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 7:38:00 AM
Author: jazmine
Sorry, but a 3 ct pear with a pink halo sounds like the opposite of what she would want. Where did you come up with the idea? Did she say this is what she wanted? Has she ever mentioned what shape she likes? Not all women like pears.
He said earlier she has mentioned liking pear and emerald shapes.

If you want to halo a pear, which I think are beautiful, I''d definitely go smaller, maybe half that size.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a very cool ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you already have the 3+ pear? for someone who seems to be rather disinterested in jewelry, this just doesn''t sound like the way to go. most women who are minimalist with their jewelry would be very uncomfortable with such a large stone.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Florida!
35.gif

Pears and emeralds are both great choices - gorgeous stones! Would you consider presenting her with the stone in a temporary setting and then going to look at final settings together?

Settings are extremely personal and it may be a good idea to understand what she likes first. Some people like simple clean lines, others like pave and filigree. The pink halo is a nice idea if she likes pink, but she might also like smaller pink pear sidestones instead. Unless you really know what kind of setting she likes, you are taking a risk.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 9:47:27 AM
Author: belle
do you already have the 3+ pear? for someone who seems to be rather disinterested in jewelry, this just doesn''t sound like the way to go. most women who are minimalist with their jewelry would be very uncomfortable with such a large stone.

i agree with belle. If she loves pears, the halo setting is one of my favorites but I think a smaller pear would be a better choice.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 5:09:23 AM

1.gif

widget
I agree very much with this...halos can make things look much bigger! I think that FG's pear is 2c with a halo and for me that's probably about as big as I'd go with a halo and a pear...it looks wonderful in that kind of size with a halo though from the pictures we have seen. But 3c would be a bit over the line for me...I also don't really like the look of a more cocktail piece as an e-ring (my own personal tastes) so I would probably not halo anything over 1.5c or 2c for me.

Have you seen a 3c pear in person? It might help give you some idea of what size you are dealing with. I also agree with the others that she may not want something as large as a 3c pear if she is pretty simplistic with jewelry. My e-rings are probably the most blingy thing about me (eternity rings), I always wear white gold hoop earrings or similar and a small diamond pendant and that is almost the only other jewelry I wear with my set. So I kind of like that my set is a little blingy, but I wouldn't want to wear a 3c with a halo...that would be overkill for me and my style.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 10:56:08 AM
Author: Mara

I wouldn''t want to wear a 3c with a halo...that would be overkill for me and my style.
Trust me. If this one says it''s too big, it''s too big!
9.gif
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Katherine Heigl doesn''t think the look is too much and her ring looks amazing!! A three carat stone with a halo would be too much for me personally, but I have tiny fingers and a fairly simple lifestyle. If you hang out with a crowd with larger rings I think you would be fine! Go try on some blingy halos to get a better idea.
The ring isn''t for me. I am trying to pull myself together and propose. She doesn''t wear jewelry very often and then it is only simple platinum or silver earrings. The only thing she has really mentioned is that she likes emerald cut and pear cut diamonds. She also likes pink.

I think her fingers are small. They look small to me. Most of our friends'' wives have rings that look pretty big to me.

I really want to surprise her and quite frankly, I don''t think she would be that interested in looking at or picking out a ring (or any other jewelry).

This is tough. I have been lurking and learning and looking here. I see all of the beautiful ring photos and I still don''t know what to get for her.

I can''t really ask any of my friends for help, because I am a afraid they will blab to her. You all are my lifeline.
It sounds like she''s not that into jewelry. BUT that doesn''t mean she won''t be particular about a ring she''ll wear ever day. So you may want to try to get her to look at rings very casually next time you walk by a window. Or make an open ended comment about a friend''s ring. You might find out she thinks her friends rings are too big or just right or too small. Or that she likes simple settings.

Also just because your friends rings look big to you doesn''t mean they are as large as a 3ct pear would look. Maybe you should check out a few jewelry stores by yourself to fix sizes in your mind. Of course I could be way off base and you already know your sizes.

Do you already have the stone? If not how did you come up with that size?

widget

Ideal_Rock
If she likes ECs....how about a 3 carat asscher??
31.gif

I think even a ''minimalist'' could love that!
30.gif

widget

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 11:35:32 AM
31.gif

30.gif

widget
OH YEAH.....
30.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't put a halo around a large stone - I believe in keeping things simple. Also, if a large stone is well cut, it doesn't need any little helpers.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
31.gif

30.gif

widget
Now that''s a GREAT idea. Really show off that cut.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 11:51:06 AM
Author: Stone Hunter

31.gif

30.gif

widget

Now that''s a GREAT idea. Really show off that cut.

I''ll third or forth widgets idea...I 3 cara asscher would be divine..

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
She doesn''t wear much jewelry and she doesn''t want to go pick it out. Personally, I''d put either tapered baguettes or bullets on either side a la Harry Winston in a platinum setting. Very classic, understated and timeless, and a rock that size is perfect for that type of setting. A 3 ct pear makes it''s own statement.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
for a woman who is minimalist and isn''t into jewelry in the first place and expresses no desire to be in on the e-ring purchase, a 3 carat with halo is way over the top. a ring much like the e/w set pear in a simple gold mounting like posted above would be ideal for a woman like that. she sounds like me! well, except i''m into jewelry but minimalist jewelry!

movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 11:18:25 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/13/2007 10:56:08 AM
Author: Mara

I wouldn''t want to wear a 3c with a halo...that would be overkill for me and my style.
Trust me. If this one says it''s too big, it''s too big!
9.gif
2.gif
LOL!

i like the idea of a 3c asscher, yum!!!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
since you mentioned she likes emerald cuts that would be my suggestion. set in platinum possibly side stones. they are classic and lovely. if you do a search you will find pics of some ps''ers nice emerald cut stones. i would save the pink for something else for a lady such as you have described.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given the description of what she wears, I think I would get her an emerald cut with tapered baguette sidestones "harry winston style" with maybe a pink diamond surprise stone on the side of the ring or something to let her you know where thinking about her.

This look would be very classic and beautiful and shouldn''t be overkill for someone who wears sleek jewelry.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would A Halo Be Overkill 3+ Carat Pear?

NO!! hehehe :D

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe or even if you don''t :D My stone is twice the size of the next largest one of anyone I know and who cares!!?? I don''t - they don''t... just enjoy!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't know Katherine Heigl's pear was 3c?

My pear is 1.5 ct and with the halo it's pretty commanding, even on my size 7.5 finger. I doubt I would halo a 3 ct pear, particularly for someone who doesn't wear a lot of flashy jewelry.

If you are seriously wanting to halo the 3ct, I would do a teeny, itty bitty fringe halo. That could look very pretty.

Here's my 1.5 ct in the halo

fgpear15vc.jpg

Florida

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone,
I really appreciate the help. I am sure you can see I don't know what the heck I am doing.

She doesn't know that I am plannning to propose. We have been together for a long time and I want to marry her. If I try to casually get her to look at jewelry, she will probably try to have me commited.

She wears designer clothes and shoes. I hear other women say she has good taste, that is why I don't want to give her something that will be out of line for her. In all the years we have been together, I don't think she has ever worn a ring or a necklace. I don't care how fancy the function, it is simple earrings or no jewelry at all. I knew I had my work cut out for me, but this thread has made me realize how hard this will be.

I haven't gotten the ring yet. From looking at the rings of our friends' wives and fiancees, I think that 2-3+ would be in the range of what they have. All of them have rounds, but they look big. I don't want to short her, so I am trying to get something in the range of the other women.

I was originally looking at the emerald cuts, but I began to like the look of the pears and I think she would too. Knowing her style, I don't think she would like the halo though. I am also going to take a 2nd look at emerald cuts.

Maybe a temporary setting is the way to go. I hadn't thought of that. I wanted to give her a ring that shows I put some thought into it.

I like the Etinne Peret ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results