shape
carat
color
clarity

Would A Halo Be Overkill 3+ Carat Pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Floriday, I only have one caution about an emerald cut. They have to be kept spotless, and since she's kind of a no fuss woman, the pear may be the better option. Although there's really nothing more elegant than a beautiful emerald cut.

Edited to add: The reason they need to be kept spotless is that they show every little bit of oil or spec of dirt or water spot. It's just inherent in that type of cut that to really sparkle, they have to be really clean.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Florida. Here are a few photos of a 2.8-carat pear, no halo, on a size 5 finger, just for reference. This setting is pretty simple - the side baguettes total just under 0.5-carat. The most important thing with setting a pear is making sure the tip is protected. Hope this helps.

PearRingLight5a.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
One more. I had on a bright pink sweater when I took the pictures...

PearRingLight6a.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hubba hubba!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 2:10:56 PM
Author: Florida
Thanks everyone,
I really appreciate the help. I am sure you can see I don''t know what the heck I am doing.

She doesn''t know that I am plannning to propose. We have been together for a long time and I want to marry her. If I try to casually get her to look at jewelry, she will probably try to have me commited.

She wears designer clothes and shoes. I hear other women say she has good taste, that is why I don''t want to give her something that will be out of line for her. In all the years we have been together, I don''t think she has ever worn a ring or a necklace. I don''t care how fancy the function, it is simple earrings or no jewelry at all. I knew I had my work cut out for me, but this thread has made me realize how hard this will be.

I haven''t gotten the ring yet. From looking at the rings of our friends'' wives and fiancees, I think that 2-3+ would be in the range of what they have. All of them have rounds, but they look big. I don''t want to short her, so I am trying to get something in the range of the other women.

I was originally looking at the emerald cuts, but I began to like the look of the pears and I think she would too. Knowing her style, I don''t think she would like the halo though. I am also going to take a 2nd look at emerald cuts.

Maybe a temporary setting is the way to go. I hadn''t thought of that. I wanted to give her a ring that shows I put some thought into it.

I like the Etinne Peret ring.
As a fellow pricescoper, I know you know this but I do feel I have to write it out so that it is in the thread somewhere...

Just because a ring is big doesn''t mean its nice or expensive or even attractive. I think a proportional ring of exceptional cut, nice clarity, and a color that you like is really the key to creating a beautiful ring. Look at Ellen''s ring, is absolutely stunning and its ~1.5 carats. There are countless diamond engagement rings on this site that are .75 carats and are wonderful! I know what you mean about trying to ''keep up with the joneses'' but really, I would humbly suggest you try to focus on the symbolism, and focus on what will look good on your girl''s hand, and suit her style... not the style of your current social scene. I am a guy in a similar situation I think -- my girlfriend has friends who are engaged and in her work/social circle who have $30,000.00 engagement rings that I could never hope to match with my modest income, but the fact is that when I do propose to her, she is going to be happy no matter what! (I hope!)

That being said, I would vote for the emerald cut with some bullets or baguettes!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 3:15:06 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Date: 2/13/2007 2:55:44 PM
Author: lumpkin
Hubba hubba!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I second that!!
3.gif
Thanks lumpkin, thanks FireGoddess.

This is an estate find - I''ve had it for 2 appraisals, since it didn''t come with a cert. Both have said "Excellent" for cut, one says H SI-1, the other says G VS2. I''m planning to make a pendant with it, but haven''t gotten around to it yet.

For Florida''s sake, he can probably see that a 3+ carat will look even bigger. I just wanted to give him some reference.

Kev800, I totally agree with you! The diamond is really just a symbol - what matters most is having a wonderful partner and lots of love and respect in your relationship. Yes, a girl should be totally happy with whatever the guy can afford to give, because the diamond is not the most important part - the commitment is.

That said, I give Florida a lot of credit for wanting his GF to feel secure about the ring/diamond in front of her friends, neighbors, and/or colleagues. He sounds like a sensitive, considerate guy.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Obviously we don''t know your gf, but I have to agree that a 3 ct asscher solitaire sounds like it would fit her perfectly!

And I think it''s sweet of you too to consider what her friends have, especially if you can afford to get her something similar. Actually, hers will probably be better now that you''ve found pricescope!

Florida

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 3:37:49 PM
Author: kev_800

Thanks everyone,
I really appreciate the help. I am sure you can see I don''t know what the heck I am doing.

She doesn''t know that I am plannning to propose. We have been together for a long time and I want to marry her. If I try to casually get her to look at jewelry, she will probably try to have me commited.

She wears designer clothes and shoes. I hear other women say she has good taste, that is why I don''t want to give her something that will be out of line for her. In all the years we have been together, I don''t think she has ever worn a ring or a necklace. I don''t care how fancy the function, it is simple earrings or no jewelry at all. I knew I had my work cut out for me, but this thread has made me realize how hard this will be.

I haven''t gotten the ring yet. From looking at the rings of our friends'' wives and fiancees, I think that 2-3+ would be in the range of what they have. All of them have rounds, but they look big. I don''t want to short her, so I am trying to get something in the range of the other women.

I was originally looking at the emerald cuts, but I began to like the look of the pears and I think she would too. Knowing her style, I don''t think she would like the halo though. I am also going to take a 2nd look at emerald cuts.

Maybe a temporary setting is the way to go. I hadn''t thought of that. I wanted to give her a ring that shows I put some thought into it.

As a fellow pricescoper, I know you know this but I do feel I have to write it out so that it is in the thread somewhere...

Just because a ring is big doesn''t mean its nice or expensive or even attractive. I think a proportional ring of exceptional cut, nice clarity, and a color that you like is really the key to creating a beautiful ring. Look at Ellen''s ring, is absolutely stunning and its ~1.5 carats. There are countless diamond engagement rings on this site that are .75 carats and are wonderful! I know what you mean about trying to ''keep up with the joneses'' but really, I would humbly suggest you try to focus on the symbolism, and focus on what will look good on your girl''s hand, and suit her style... not the style of your current social scene. I am a guy in a similar situation I think -- my girlfriend has friends who are engaged and in her work/social circle who have $30,000.00 engagement rings that I could never hope to match with my modest income, but the fact is that when I do propose to her, she is going to be happy no matter what! (I hope!)

That being said, I would vote for the emerald cut with some bullets or baguettes!

Our current social scene consists mainly of people that either she or I have known since elementary school and some newbies we picked up as friends in high school or college. I am not trying to keep up with the Joneses. I don''t see any reason (other than her not liking it) that I should not buy a nice big ring, if I can afford it.

I appreciate that not all big rings look attractive or are expensive. I got my first inkling on ring colors and clarity from listening to some of our friends'' conversations. These are not people that went for big over other important factors. From listening most of their rings are in the D-F range and VS1 plus, with good cuts. Most of them purchased in their local area or from Blue Nile. As you can see, I don''t know much about this, but some of those rings shine and sparkle, so much they are almost distracting.

If I were to suit her style, I have a feeling I should be buying her a pair of engagement shoes.
emteeth.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone,

I just wanted to add that it is so wonderful to hear that you are so concerned about what would be right for her rather than just buying what you like. Many men are not as thoughful. Have you tried asking her about which shapes she likes? Or whose engagement rings she likes?

I think a step cut may be a good idea, too. They are very elegant and not as flashy. Just get her a jug of windex and a baby toothbrush for a daily scrub!

Sometimes a temp setting does show a great deal of thought. It shows that you want her to be very happy and choose a setting that she will love...Or maybe she will just want to keep the solitaire...Good luck!

Florida

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 2:44:20 PM
Author: starryeyed
Hi Florida. Here are a few photos of a 2.8-carat pear, no halo, on a size 5 finger, just for reference. This setting is pretty simple - the side baguettes total just under 0.5-carat. The most important thing with setting a pear is making sure the tip is protected. Hope this helps.
I really like that. It is simple and elegant. After reading the responses here, that is probably more along the lines of the look I should get for her.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 11:18:25 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/13/2007 10:56:08 AM
Author: Mara

I wouldn''t want to wear a 3c with a halo...that would be overkill for me and my style.
Trust me. If this one says it''s too big, it''s too big!
9.gif
2.gif
ROFLMAO!!!! SNORT! RIP! HOWL!!!

shay

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 3:53:07 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 2/13/2007 3:15:06 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 2/13/2007 2:55:44 PM
Author: lumpkin
Hubba hubba!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I second that!!
3.gif
Thanks lumpkin, thanks FireGoddess.

This is an estate find - I''ve had it for 2 appraisals, since it didn''t come with a cert. Both have said ''Excellent'' for cut, one says H SI-1, the other says G VS2. I''m planning to make a pendant with it, but haven''t gotten around to it yet.

For Florida''s sake, he can probably see that a 3+ carat will look even bigger. I just wanted to give him some reference.

Kev800, I totally agree with you! The diamond is really just a symbol - what matters most is having a wonderful partner and lots of love and respect in your relationship. Yes, a girl should be totally happy with whatever the guy can afford to give, because the diamond is not the most important part - the commitment is.

That said, I give Florida a lot of credit for wanting his GF to feel secure about the ring/diamond in front of her friends, neighbors, and/or colleagues. He sounds like a sensitive, considerate guy.
You''re going to take it out of the ring??? Do you hear the sound of breaking glass???? It''s my heart breaking. That exact ring is what I dearly wanted but the setting was more expensive than the diamond, and I had already spent a bunch on another setting before I got the pear diamond. I''ve since traded the diamond. Groooaaannn.

Sorry to hijack, Florida. I just really, really, really love that ring.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Between the pear and the EC, I''d probably go for the EC. I love the look of the smaller pear with the halo, but if your girlfriend isn''t into jewelry that much, I''d stay away from ''flashier'' designs.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 4:11:12 PM
Author: icekid
Obviously we don''t know your gf, but I have to agree that a 3 ct asscher solitaire sounds like it would fit her perfectly!

And I think it''s sweet of you too to consider what her friends have, especially if you can afford to get her something similar. Actually, hers will probably be better now that you''ve found pricescope!

Ditto, I too think it''s great that you''re so concerned about suiting her, and that you''ve fallen for a fancy shape, but it sounds like she just might be a step-cut kinda woman. To me asschers and ECs are so understated, elegant and refined, like "I don''t need to sparkle".

On the other hand, you need to love this ring too, and you obviously are invested in pears, but I think we''re just asking you to take another look at some step cuts, just in case...

Vera Wang E/W EC Laurenthepartier''s asscher Widget''s asscher
VWEC.jpg
LaurensRing1.jpg
0698.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Step cuts are definitely beautiful, but if you guys have decided on a pear, go for it. Step cuts are a whole different kind of animal, and just because she doesn't wear a lot of jewelry doesn't mean that she should get a step cut because they're 'less flashy'!!

ETA: Have you seen Kittenkat's pink halo? linky

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 4:24:05 PM

I really like that. It is simple and elegant. After reading the responses here, that is probably more along the lines of the look I should get for her.
I think that would be a stunning ring. Simple and elegant is right.
2.gif

kev, thanks for the kind words on my ring.
1.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi again Florida. You are getting a lot of endorsements for a 3-carat asscher on this thread.

Widget has a magnificent asscher that is, I believe, 3+ carats. You can probably do a search to find handshots of her ring.

I have an asscher too - smaller though - 2.47 carats. Asschers "face-up" smaller than other shapes, so I''m posting a few images for you, on the same size 5 finger. This should give you an idea of size. This is a temporary setting.

AsscherFIF12a.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Looks MUCH smaller than the pear, right? Smaller than the 0.3-carat weight difference anyway. This may be something to think about.

AsscherFIF3a.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the simple but elegant emerald cut or pear which apparently were your first thoughts are the winners.

also, does anyone have that personality test thing that broke down supposedly personality type by stone cut? perhaps that would be useful....or just fun.....but given she''s a woman of elegant but simple taste and he seems to know her personality very well over the years, well, perhaps it might give him some insight.

nothing says elegant like an ec........but a large pear would be stunning if simply set.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results