shape
carat
color
clarity

Women Only! Poll: Perfect Size for an Engagement Ring?

Money not hindering your choice...What is your idea of the PERFECT sized engagement ring (CTW)??

• under .50c

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • .50c - 1c

• 1c - 1.5c

• 1.5c - 2c

• 2c - 2.5c

• 2.5c - 3c

• over 3c (a whopper!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara,

From my recent posts, you know that I am the 3 ct. and over type of gal. I had a 2 ct. for a brief time 20 years ago ( a whole different story) and at that age, I was thrilled with it. When the love of my life proposed 14 years ago, I got a 3carat and have never looked back. I am only 5'3" and fairly petite but it did not overwhelm me. Since my ring was stolen this summer, I have only looked for 3 carat or more. I did take a 3.38 stone for a brief test drive and loved the bigger size (alot!!) but returned it because the (I) color seemed too yellow to me. So there you have it. I will say that I also tried on a 4 carat stone and thought that was a tad large. If money was no object, I would have a D/E/F color 3.5 ct perfectly cut ring set in platinum.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Fire and Ice,

We think alike. Regards,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bump!
1.gif
Women, please vote if you have not already!
1.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
well having physically tried on a 1ct recently (it was huge on my 4.75 finger!), i voted for a 1-1.5 ct for now. but if i really had it, i dont think i'd dare wear it out of the house! i'm 25, look about 21, wear casual clothes local (not american) size 8-10, work in an informal environment and where i come from only the 'richer' people have diamonds that size. people will most prolly assume the diamond i am wearing was fake!
6.gif

in 10-15 years time, when i am older and less 'kiddish', i'd want a 2ct or bigger! woohooo
10.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I said 1-1.5. My fingers are small (4.5) and I'm tiny (less than 110 lbs), so I would look ridiculous in a three carat! I'd love a diamond around 1.2, but not much bigger. Aside from how the stone would look on me, my other main consideration is that the majority of women in my area DO NOT have large stones and I get enough looks as it is w/my diamond earrings being the size they are, and they're not big!

Since money is an issue, I'll be hunting out a diamond upgrad ranging from .8-.99, and this will be plenty big for me.

Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the 1-1.5. I think it completely depends on age, lifestyle and location. My original was 1.25, and I think up to a 1.5 would have been great with no financial constraints, but beyond that, way too much at the time. Now I've upgraded to 2.5, and LOVE it. Bigger than that looks crazy on me. (2.5 is on the almost too large size...but I'd never admit that!
9.gif
). My social crowd has women with bigger stones and those with simple bands, so we picked this out purely based on what I/we wanted and liked. (hubby likes to vote on these things -- he likes my jewelry.) He told me this is my last upgrade, so to get it right, and not scrimp and then want to upgrade again. (pretty cool marching orders
11.gif
). so 2.5 is it for me.

Now I'm moving on to studs...size is a whole 'nother issue there.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the 1-1.50 ct range. Mine's a 1.18 RB, and it looks big enough to me. I would have been just as happy if it were even a bit smaller. *ducks Mara's kickbox to the head*
9.gif

Size preference depends in large part on personal style, aspirations, and lifestyle. I'm a boring Banana Republic girl when I'm not working at home, and a jeans or shorts & tank top person the rest of the time. My finger's a 5.25, which isn't particularly tiny, but I'm fairly tall and kinda waifish. A big stone just looks ludicrous on me at this point in the game.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/30/2003 5:18:07 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

I would have been just as happy if it were even a bit smaller

----------------
I know you don't really mean that!!
9.gif

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
2.5-3 cts ... that's my vote!
1.gif

I tried on 1.7cts recently and it looked HUGE, so while that would be fine for a few years, I'm sure that shrinkage would eventually set in, and I'd have to go larger.
2.gif

My hubby, knowing my love for larger stones, came up with the idea of upgrading every 5 years or so until I reach my "dream" size of 3 cts. Who am I to turn down an offer like that? (hee hee)
3.gif

I'm targeting 1.7-1.8 for my next stone, and plan to continue onward and "outward" from there.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Roxy I'm so jealous!! My guy has gotten attached to my little e-ring and wants me to keep it FOREVER....I can get other stones but not like the e-ring. DAMN! Be sure to get your hubby's claims in *writing* because my guy was saying a different story until recently! Foiled again.
14.gif

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 11/30/2003 6:59:40 PM Mara wrote:

My guy has gotten attached to my little e-ring and wants me to keep it FOREVER....
14.gif

----------------

Mara, I hear you! My hubby and I are both attached to my current e-ring (center stone), so he suggested that for our 5th anniv, I get a larger center stone, and keep the original!

He wants to set the original in a 3 stone anniv ring (for a future anniv), and that way I'd truly have stones that signify past, present, & future.
1.gif

I was floored when he told me this, but he insisted that the original diamond means more than just a "rock" to him, and he couldn't imagine parting with it.

So you never know - get married, let a few years pass, and your "hubby to be" might be agreeable to something similar. You think?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Our significant others must be related.
1.gif

Mr. Canadiangrrl is horrified by the thought of upgrading. You don't want to hear his rather vituperative thoughts on the matter. Suffice to say that his words were in keeping with my overall philosophy about men - they are more sentimental than we think they are.
1.gif

I don't want to give up my e-ring stone, ever.
1.gif
I love it very much. Having said that, I would someday (maybe for a 20th anniversary?) like a three stone, emerald cut ring for my right hand. According to Mr. Canadiangrrl, this is doable.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It will be interesting to see if time changes their perspective.
10.gif
My hubby didn't mind the thought of upgrading now -- it's 18 years since he gave me the original ring, and we set the original stone into a pendant. I don't think he would have liked the idea at all after 5 years or so. And, he does like to remind me that his ring is the original and ONLY ring he will ever want. I tell him that is why we get along so well. Opposites attract!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,

My husband is the same way and wants me to keep my eng. ring forever. Of course I DO want to keep it, but want an upgrade too
1.gif
I'm hoping to get a match for my current diamond and make them into earrings. My husband's eyes just glazed over when I told him my plans. . .

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehehe yes these poor men!!! If only they knew...
2.gif

Actually my guy would be okay with me turning my ring into a 3 stone or something as long as I kept the original stone and we try to keep the original e-ring setting. That may be a fun option a few years into it...just for a change, and I can use my original earrings and get new ones
2.gif
He's not attached to the earrings--thank goodness!
9.gif

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock

Interesting comments:

Maybe there is a relationship between ring size and desired diamond size; between age and desired diamond size; between socioeconomic status and desired diamond size, between location and desired diamond size.With all of the variables (and more), I could also generate a model to predict the desired diamond size.

If I had the data, I could run the appropriate statistical analyses.

It is just a thought.

Let me know if you want me to generate a preliminary online survey of variables that are probably relevant.The keys to producing meaningful data would be to have as many people as possible fill out the survey (only once) and that each survey should be filled out entirely (no missing data).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great idea Kevin!! I would love to see something like that done...taking into account all the possible relative variables and how they equate to the final answer
1.gif
Are you volunteering?
1.gif

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock

Yes Mara.Keep bumping up the thread.At the end of the week I will begin to look how frequently certain comments (key words) are made (e.g., "based on my age I would get 1.0ct").I will then compile a list and have certain experts voluntarily review the list and provide feedback.They may feel that there are a few more variables that have yet to be identified.Furthermore, I may delete certain variables if they are redundant of one another.Under ideal circumstance, all of the variables have to be quantifiable of quantitative in nature.That is, ideally each variable will be a meaning full number or can be transformed into a meaningful number.Living in the northeast may be different than living in the southeast with respect to the desired diamond size, however, when you throw in several other regions (Midwest, Pacific west, north central) interpretation starts to get a bit hairy because you must quantify location (which has no intrinsic value).I will probably ask such questions anyway for supplemental and exploratory analyses.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds great!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/1/2003 2:26:23 AM Mara wrote:

Great idea Kevin!! I would love to see something like that done...Are you volunteering?
----------------

Sounds great! Could I join the project?

I was already working on such a compilation of PS's "consumer profile" with a slightly different approach. I'd love to see it up there. Not that I am selling diamonds for a living, but to this kind of stats I am still addicted... WOW, Mara and Kevin, I'l love to chit chat about this...

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I voted for 1-1.5. I wear a ring size 4, and have in reality a .78. Sometimes it looks big to me, and sometimes it doesn't! I've tried my friend's 2.1, and it was too big for me. I feel like my smaller one protrudes enough as it is, and living in DC, I wouldn't feel as comfortable wearing anything that large. I think I'd be too worried about it to enjoy wearing it.

By the way, for the purpose of the demographics compilation/survey, I'm 27, have a Master's degree, work for the federal government in a mid-level position, and live in the District!

Edited to add: My fiance is 29, also has a Master's and works for the feds in a mid-level position (we met at work! Who knew- love at the Department of Labor!), and lives in Northern Virginia. We both have a motherlode of student loans.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I voted for 2.5 - 3 carats. For the data mavens: my ering is .97 carats, I have a size 6 finger, am in my late 20's and live in the Northeast.

I don't think I'd ever give up my stone either. My mother has her original ering (which was pretty small) and she still wears it sometimes. At other times, she wears one of the new upgraded rings she has. I might do the same. Then again, I've only been married since March, and my husband has three more years of residency and three more years of fellowship, so it will be a long time before this is an issue!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
^bump
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kevin, are you still interested in doing the analysis? PM me and let me know if I can help.
1.gif

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Mara:

Maybe your next poll can address:

What proportion of women who voted have a ring that is smaller/the same/or larger than the the e-ring they actually wear? (your poll would be limited to engagement/married women)

Can you divide (stratify) the results by whether the women had an input into the size of her engagement stone...this would be particulalry telling, I think...

You could also consider taking into account age, ethnicity, income (!), and, even perhaps, the size of one's mother's ring...

I wear a 1.5 c, and, believe it or not, our of respect, I did not want to exceed my mother's 1.8 ish ring....

Goldenringlets

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
So, was the analysis ever completed?

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Well, I got nothing when I was engaged to a law student. Got a .41 at our 15th, and am now finally getting what modern brides get right off the bat a 1ct. I think a little of the size at the beginning has to do with how long you've been married and suffered through the lean years. But you see, I'm looking backwards after 25 years. I am out of the lean years and feel 1ct. good enough for my 25th. As for the engagement part, I see a lot of check out girls with much larger diamonds than me and wonder whats up? I also play my instrument at a lot of big weddings and see money laid out all over, so my opinion is that sometimes good things come to those who wait. There are a lot of other priorities when you're starting out in life.

Boy, do I sound like an old married lady or what. Sorry. Perfect size .50 to .70. But definately not nothing like I had.

Suz

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I'm here to vote!

Seeing as that my ring is "on the way", I definitley have not had time to experience any shrinkage issues. We looked at a whole myriad of stones (Ideal Cut/VS1 - VS2/D-G)and it really came down to what I liked best rather than a tight budget...so I can honestly say what I picked out is perfect for me - my IDEAL. We chose 1.81 ct. round brilliant. We also considered a 2.15, but it was just too much for my hand at age 26. I wear an average size 5.5 ring. Maybe I'll want other stones in the future - I'm sure, but I can't imagine ever parting with my forthcoming stone as my e-ring...ever. It will just hold too much sentimental value - not to mention we think it's just beautiful.
Anyway, it's arriving next week so hopefully I can show it soon! Yipee!

appl.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for 1 to 1.5. I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing anything larger. My stone is 1.12 , pear shaped but physically looks more like 1.5 carats because of it's fancy shape. I love it and don't think I'll ever want anything larger. Most women my age around here have about .75 to 1 carat stones. We live in an middle to upper middle class neighborhood. Most folks around here seem to prefer the flashy expensive car to the flashy expensive diamond.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
What the heck, i'll vote too! I'm in my lower-30s, have long fingers (size 5 3/4), work in NYC.
In Princess cuts, I like 2-2.5 -BUT- in RBs I like 1-1.5. IMHO, every cut has a different favorite size....
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results