shape
carat
color
clarity

With the help of everyone here, final choice between these 2!

appl3

Rough_Rock
Steve, did you get your appraisal yet?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the engagement!!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! So very happy for you and your fiancee!

appl3

Rough_Rock
What size is your gf’s finger? The ring looks huge!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks beautiful, as does the stone! Great job. Congrats on your engagement!!

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
So I got the appraisal today and they appraised it wayyy higher than what I bought it for. Is this usually normal?! Seems like my insurance is going to be twice more expensive because of that :confused:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got the appraisal today and they appraised it wayyy higher than what I bought it for. Is this usually normal?! Seems like my insurance is going to be twice more expensive because of that :confused:

I hate when that happens. Find an independent appraiser and get a new realistic appraisal.
Is yours like 2-3 times what you paid?

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
congrats steve!!!!!!! its sooo perfect on her finger!!!! n

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
I hate when that happens. Find an independent appraiser and get a new realistic appraisal.
Is yours like 2-3 times what you paid?

They quoted me almost double... :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!

@Steve88 I wish I had seen your appraisal question because I could have saved you some money. I would have asked the vendor you bought the ring from to do an appraisal with the EXACT value of what you paid. That is what it is worth and what it would cost to replace it. I'd just file the inflated appraisal and consider it a lesson learned. Never use an inflated appraisal because as you realize, your premiums will be way too high and if there was a loss, the insurance is NOT going to replace at the value of your appraisal, they'll try to match up the diamond specs. I don't worry about honesty with known Pricescope vendors. But if I did have an independent appraisal, I would tell them please to give me their opinion of value verbally before finishing the report, and that I only want what I paid (which is retail value if bought from a jeweler/diamond vendor) to be the actual value on the report. If they won't do that, then I wouldn't use them.

Last edited:

appl3

Rough_Rock
Steve, who did you use? There is only a limited number in nyc area

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

@Steve88 I wish I had seen your appraisal question because I could have saved you some money. I would have asked the vendor you bought the ring from to do an appraisal with the EXACT value of what you paid. That is what it is worth and what it would cost to replace it. I'd just file the inflated appraisal and consider it a lesson learned. Never use an inflated appraisal because as you realize, your premiums will be way too high and if there was a loss, the insurance is NOT going to replace at the value of your appraisal, they'll try to match up the diamond specs. I don't worry about honesty with known Pricescope vendors. But if I did have an independent appraisal, I would tell them please to give me their opinion of value verbally before finishing the report, and that I only want what I paid (which is retail value if bought from a jeweler/diamond vendor) to be the actual value on the report. If they won't do that, then I wouldn't use them.

Thinking back, they did offer an appraisal for an extra $60 dollars. I should've went with it from the vendor I bought it from but it definitely is too late now.

Steve, who did you use? There is only a limited number in nyc area

I went to a place called ID jewelry in the diamond district that I found through Yelp.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, we know ID Jewelry!!! Just call the person back who did the appraisal and tell them that you didn't realize the appraisal would be so much higher than the retail price you paid, and you absolutely only want the amount you paid (for ring and diamond) as the value since that is the amount you need to insure.

You can always tell them you are a Pricescope member and people here like them a lot and were sure they'd be willing to fix this problem for you!

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Oh, we know ID Jewelry!!! Just call the person back who did the appraisal and tell them that you didn't realize the appraisal would be so much higher than the retail price you paid, and you absolutely only want the amount you paid (for ring and diamond) as the value since that is the amount you need to insure.

You can always tell them you are a Pricescope member and people here like them a lot and were sure they'd be willing to fix this problem for you!

Oh i had no clue! I might call tomorrow and do that :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results