shape
carat
color
clarity

With the help of everyone here, final choice between these 2!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UMMM WTF. I just went to JM for a quote and my quote is $1050/annually. I think this is over 3%.
I was thinking maybe it was because of crime, but I live in a really nice area??

What size stone?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That does seem high. For grins I went to their website for a quote. Entered my zip, $40k value and item type of ring.

Premium for zero deductible was $760/year.

Judging by your screen name in going to assume you live in a larger metroplex with more claims, etc despite living in a good neighborhood.

I'm currently outside a medium metroplex by about 15 minutes. Kind of a ritzy area and THE place to be. So they say, lol. I moved here about a year ago and it's just a nice little town. There is money here though, although I find the people kind of snobbish for my tastes. Lots Porsches, Benz, Land Rovers, etc.

I'm actually relocating this weekend. Yes haw.

Screenshot_20180720-003650_Chrome.jpg

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
That does seem high. For grins I went to their website for a quote. Entered my zip, $40k value and item type of ring.

Premium for zero deductible was $760/year.

Judging by your screen name in going to assume you live in a larger metroplex with more claims, etc despite living in a good neighborhood.

I'm currently outside a medium metroplex by about 15 minutes. Kind of a ritzy area and THE place to be. So they say, lol. I moved here about a year ago and it's just a nice little town. There is money here though, although I find the people kind of snobbish for my tastes. Lots Porsches, Benz, Land Rovers, etc.

I'm actually relocating this weekend. Yes haw.

Screenshot_20180720-003650_Chrome.jpg

Sooo weird! Its definitely not worth it for the quote they are giving me. No wonder none of my friends have insurance on their rings (and some of them have $$$$ ones). I’ve alwyss heard insurance is too expensive and not worth it. Maybe it’s a California thing? I punched in my parents zip code (they live in a middle sized beach city / really nice but not high incomes) the quote is $200 less( which is still a lot). However, I’m going to be traveling to some shady countries in the next year so I shoukd definity insure no matter the price.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo weird! Its definitely not worth it for the quote they are giving me. No wonder none of my friends have insurance on their rings (and some of them have $$$$ ones). I’ve alwyss heard insurance is too expensive and not worth it. Maybe it’s a California thing? I punched in my parents zip code (they live in a middle sized beach city / really nice but not high incomes) the quote is $200 less( which is still a lot). However, I’m going to be traveling to some shady countries in the next year so I shoukd definity insure no matter the price.

Are you or the fiancee current or ex military? If so check out USAA, especially if traveling to foreign countries of hostility. If not military check with Libery Mutual, Chubb and Travelers. On other posts you kind of eluded fiancee might own his own business. He may have insurance providers that will write him a personal line of coverage as well if he asks.

As far as insuring or not it's just a matter of risk and your tolerance and ability to cover the risk. If you guys don't have cars reserves available that would allow you.to comfortably go out and replace a 3 carat ring you should insure. If you have the reserves but don't wish to spend your money that way because of other investment opportunities or just because you like the security of a fat savings account then insure. If you have the reserves, you are comfortable with repurchasing and have an investment portfolio that allows your $1,000/year to somehow grow at a rate that justifies the risk then don't insure with a company. Instead use your money as you wish and "self insure".

In my case I understand the risks, have the tolerance and means to cover a loss and quality high performing investment vehicles but cannot justify as the rewards of saving $100/year do not outweigh the security and freedom of having those cash reserves available for my disposal, or quite frankly more profitable investment opportunities.

In regard to travel to foreign countries, I typically carry and have the ability to hurt people, and have friends across the globe. I would put your 3 carat rock in a safe and buy you a nice plain wedding band. No need to attract attention. Even if you are traveling with security details, IMO little things like that aren't worth the risk.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Wow those quotes do seem pretty high. I just did a quick quote and I got $230 for the year for the price of my ring!

Also, a little off topic. Yadav gave me an estimated shipping date of next Thursday and I haven't received any e-mailed updates of the purchase. Do I just wait to hear from them after they ship it out or do they usually update you step by step? Getting a little antsy since this is such a big purchase haha

Trying my best not to be a worry wart

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure with Yadav. When I bought from BGD, Lesley held my hand through it all, lol.

My thoughts are who cares their policy. If you want confirmation, call and ask. You just dropped 10 large ones and deserve to know.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Not sure with Yadav. When I bought from BGD, Lesley held my hand through it all, lol.

My thoughts are who cares their policy. If you want confirmation, call and ask. You just dropped 10 large ones and deserve to know.
Are you or the fiancee current or ex military? If so check out USAA, especially if traveling to foreign countries of hostility. If not military check with Libery Mutual, Chubb and Travelers. On other posts you kind of eluded fiancee might own his own business. He may have insurance providers that will write him a personal line of coverage as well if he asks.

As far as insuring or not it's just a matter of risk and your tolerance and ability to cover the risk. If you guys don't have cars reserves available that would allow you.to comfortably go out and replace a 3 carat ring you should insure. If you have the reserves but don't wish to spend your money that way because of other investment opportunities or just because you like the security of a fat savings account then insure. If you have the reserves, you are comfortable with repurchasing and have an investment portfolio that allows your $1,000/year to somehow grow at a rate that justifies the risk then don't insure with a company. Instead use your money as you wish and "self insure".

In my case I understand the risks, have the tolerance and means to cover a loss and quality high performing investment vehicles but cannot justify as the rewards of saving $100/year do not outweigh the security and freedom of having those cash reserves available for my disposal, or quite frankly more profitable investment opportunities.

In regard to travel to foreign countries, I typically carry and have the ability to hurt people, and have friends across the globe. I would put your 3 carat rock in a safe and buy you a nice plain wedding band. No need to attract attention. Even if you are traveling with security details, IMO little things like that aren't worth the risk.

Thank you for the food for thought! The only reason I want to wear my ring while traveling this year is so we can take engagement photos lol. We are going to Cuba in 2 weeks (It's probably safe - I was just thinking the worst). Then Mexico end of the year (which will probably be ok too??)

As for savings, we pretty much have none. lol. Really bad since we are mid 30s. This is the first thing we are trying to work on as a married couple. We make decent money, but really live outside our means. I've gotten rid of alot of expensive costs this year and using all the surplus towards our wedding as I'm not sure how much of it our parents are really covering (as my parents are full of shit and never pay up).

Thank you for all the help once again! Will be getting insurance as soon as I received the finished product! :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strange things happen in foreign countries. My philosophy is why attract attention to yourself. I'd still consider a plain wedding band option. Maybe a cheap one off Amazon or if you will be entering water one of the rubber bands. I'd take your actual e-ring for the photo shoot only, not on the way there or the way back or for dinner, etc. Otherwise keep it in a safe. Again, no need for unwanted attention.

As for insurance, you need it IMO. While the premiums are expensive, the replacement cost is much greater that will cause more harm to you then the $100/mo premium. I would shop for a better rate FYI.

Lastly please talk with DK and ask about their limits of liability should something happen to your stone in their possession. I never did this but if it were a more expensive stone and my savings was different I would have visited with them and then taken a policy if I didn't get the warm fuzzies DK would cover the loss while under their possession.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lagirlie Do you have a home? If so, might be worth while to look into insuring it through your home insurance. I have State Farm and I recently added a Personal Articles Policy and for my almost 3ct ring I'm paying about $250 a year with $1000 deductible. I'm in NY area, although not in the city.

As someone who's lost an UNINSURED engagement ring before, I would say this is a small price to pay for a peace of mind. And sometimes it's not even a matter of having money to replace it if lost, because over the years we certainly could've financially replaced my ring if we really wanted to, but as is in life other things just take priority and things like replacing a ring takes a backseat. We needed a big reason to actually make it happen (10 year anniversary + birthday + birth of my son) after many years.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for taking time out of your day to give me great advice! @sledge @Babyblue033

I will definitely look into adding it to home insurance. (I sorta own a home so I'll have to look into into insuring it with them - I also have State Farm! :)

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Steve88 Congratulations on your purchase and upcoming nuptials! I read this entire thread with great interest! PSers are a knowledgeable bunch (@sledge,@lagirlie,@yssie,@icy_jade) and I just want to say kudos to everyone! BTW, Yadav should be providing you with a Fed X or USPS Tracking number so you can see where your package is being shipped to and you can follow it. When I order high priced items, I make sure it was delivered to a secured USPS pick up location. I did not have it delivered to my home or workplace, too many eyeballs may want to know what I received. Then when you open the package, video tape as you open and record your information. Do not get rid of any packing material until after the return period, just in case. You should receive the following:
- invoice, AGS or GIA certification, beautifully wrapped box with ring inside. Maybe also other special vendor gift like pen, cleaning kit.
So record/video so we can see what it looks like and what kind of service Yadav provides.

Hope these tips helps!
-C4C

Gav

Rough_Rock
Hi all
Wow this thread piqued my interest as I’m also looking for a stone similar to Steve’s.
Did he end up getting a 1.4 D vS1 35.5 crown 40.6 pavilion 56T for 10,760UsD? If so That sounds like an amazing price... would be curious where he got it from and if there are still any similar ones out there!

Thanks

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Hi all
Wow this thread piqued my interest as I’m also looking for a stone similar to Steve’s.
Did he end up getting a 1.4 D vS1 35.5 crown 40.6 pavilion 56T for 10,760UsD? If so That sounds like an amazing price... would be curious where he got it from and if there are still any similar ones out there!

Thanks

Yes I did order it last week and its expected to deliver by this week! Not sure if its an amazing price yet, still have to inspect the diamond once I receive it.

I ordered it from Yadav Jewelry online and I tried looking for one with similar cuts but it's all slightly more expensive.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Yes I did order it last week and its expected to deliver by this week! Not sure if its an amazing price yet, still have to inspect the diamond once I receive it.

I ordered it from Yadav Jewelry online and I tried looking for one with similar cuts but it's all slightly more expensive.

Damn, that's a long time to wait! Can't wait to see it!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @lagirlie, if you decide to add a rider onto your homeowner's policy you might do a few searches here first. While that coverage is better than none, many here believe it's not as good and most don't like the fact if you need to file a claim it's related to your home.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Hey @lagirlie, if you decide to add a rider onto your homeowner's policy you might do a few searches here first. While that coverage is better than none, many here believe it's not as good and most don't like the fact if you need to file a claim it's related to your home.

When I said I sorta own a home - it's because my parents bought a new home a few years back and put it in my name. So I technically own a home, but not really. I do have homeowner's insurance (but I don't make any of the payments nor handle any of the house payments) so I really would rather go independently so it doesn't get messy or it might even be fraudulent (as I don't really reside there?)

I'll probably go with JM for the time being as I get the ring this weeeekkkk! I can always just change it in the future and shop for better rates.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Damn, that's a long time to wait! Can't wait to see it!!

It was supposed to ship out yesterday but it is delayed until today or tomorrow. Spoke to them over the phone and the rep told me that if I don't receive a tracking number by Friday morning, I can call them back and they'll ship it out overnight so I can have it by Monday. Wait is killing me!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 carat but the price is not 10x the cost ( more like 2-3x) so it’s weird the premium is so high :(

Did you choose a deductible? I’d go for a 1k or even 2k deductible on a ring that size. That should knock the pemium down a bit.

appl3

Rough_Rock
Hi Steve, are you getting an independent appraiser to look at the diamond once you receive it?

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Hi Steve, are you getting an independent appraiser to look at the diamond once you receive it?

Yes most likely I'll take it to an independent appraiser just to make sure I received what I paid for. Can anyone tell me how much an independent appraiser usually charges?

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Yes most likely I'll take it to an independent appraiser just to make sure I received what I paid for. Can anyone tell me how much an independent appraiser usually charges?

I would also like to know this. I would like to get my stone appraised for Less than it was so it gets my premium down. do you think i could just ask the appraiser to appraise realistically? Not add any padding as most do? In all honesty, If i didn't have insurance and my ring was stolen. I'd probably get a moisinatte and call it a day. I would not pay to replace it.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Did you choose a deductible? I’d go for a 1k or even 2k deductible on a ring that size. That should knock the pemium down a bit.

I will for sure get a deductible. I'll probably even go as far as the 5K deductible.

It's funny we are talking about deductibles because I had a shit situation this morning. I have an iphone and for the FIRST time in my life, I went with the AT&T insurance instead of apple-care (ATT covers theft and apple care does not). I cracked my screen last week... the deductible for apple care is 29 bucks, the deductible from ATT insurance is $250. I had NO idea because i didn't do my homework. So, I've wasted $250 this morning to just replace a cracked screen.

appl3

Rough_Rock
I called some in NYC. About $75/carat. Some have minimum Charges on top of that. There’s only a few in nyc that’s listed on PS.

I read somewhere in PS that maybe should wait until the wedding band is purchased (if there are diamonds) and then do the appraisal together with the E ring? Or do them separately as they come?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called some in NYC. About $75/carat. Some have minimum Charges on top of that. There’s only a few in nyc that’s listed on PS.

I read somewhere in PS that maybe should wait until the wedding band is purchased (if there are diamonds) and then do the appraisal together with the E ring? Or do them separately as they come?

With JM, and probably others too, you can declare an insured value and then provide receipts, etc. in stages as you get the diamond, then the completed e-ring and finally the wedding band.

Myself, I would do that method so you are insured during the time frame to make all that happen. Then once you have all the pieces, i would pay one appraisal fee and have them evaluated together. Then submit that to your insurance company and adjust the declared value appropriately.

FYI, deductible amounts should be determined by your own cash reserves (savings) and what you feel comfortable spending for a replacement. Also, IMO, you should see the premium cost difference between $0 and whatever deductible amount you choose. It depends on the insured value but typically there isn't a massive savings unless you start doing extreme deductibles.

For instance if you do $5,000 deduct on a $20,000 ring then they only have to pay 75% of the insured value. That should be a decent discount and theoretically should be the same as a $15k policy with no deductible. Doubt it is though.

Just make sure if you are paying 25% of the replacement cost you are saving 3nough to justify the risk.

Again, insurance is nothing more than a game of risk.

Steve88

Shiny_Rock
Feel like I see a bit of blue. Might be from the fluoro?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really pretty!! :love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel like I see a bit of blue. Might be from the fluoro?

What color shirt are you wearing? What color is interior of car/roof?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful! I am sure she will love it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results