shape
carat
color
clarity

Wink to the rescue! A custom setting for my Infinity M SI2!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Last week I posted photos of a halo setting that I thought might work for my 1.0 M SI2 Infinity diamond. I bought my M from Wink about a month ago and I've had a hard time finding a setting I like

I thought I wanted a more modern setting, but I didn't like the way my M looked in them. I was hoping to find a vintage setting on ebay or one of the other sites that sells antique settings (like Glitterata's beauty!). But no luck.

So I was really happy to find this setting:

previous thread with photos of setting

There have been so many lovely halos on PS lately, and more and more halos with whiter diamonds surrounding "lower" color center stones. I really like the look. But even though this was a beautiful setting, it didn't work out for me.

First, I was too nervous about sizing the ring up 2+ sizes (thank you to those of you who posted on my earlier thread about sizing questions) and I didn't like the fact that the ring would be slightly oval rather than round after it was sized.

Second, the ring was not as good a deal as I thought it would be by the time I added the setting fee, the sales tax, and the charge to remove all the rhodium plating.

So I called the jeweler and canceled the job.

I e-mailed Wink about all of this, and he e-mailed back and said that he was sorry the setting didn't work out, but for what I was going to pay for the too-small setting, he could make me a similar setting that would be made to fit my finger size and my stone, with better quality melee and milgraining.

I bought my Vatche setting for my previous ring from Wink, but I didn't realize how much custom work he does. He sent me some links, so I could see the excellent work his bench does.

Right now it's a little tricky to find his custom work on his winkjones.com website, though he told me that he is in the process of transferring photos of his custom work to his High Performance Diamonds website, HPD

In the meantime, he told me to go to his jewelry store's site and look for rings under the "Fancy Solitaires" option that have style numbers starting with "WAP" so I could see examples of his custom work.

He also gave me the site address for some videos of a .72 diamond that was set in one of his custom settings, the Crowning Glory setting, and the Jenny videos in diamond ring folder

Well, I looked at all of this, and I was blown away!! Here I've been toiling away in B&M stores looking for the perfect setting
6.gif
(and hoping against hope to find the perfect vintage setting for a song on ebay!) when I could get a lovely custom design setting from Wink!
36.gif

So I've been e-mailing him all week with ideas, and now that we have tenatively settled on my new ring design, I thought it high time I shared it with all of you.

Thanks to Amethyste for getting the PS trend started of "lower" color stones surrounded in a halo of whiter diamonds. Yummy! You can see oneandahalfrock's new ring with her beautiful L set in a halo over in SMTR if you want to see some photos of this lovely trend.

And thanks beau13, for I have been drooling over your ring for a long time now, and am shamelessly going to model my setting for my M after yours, thanks to Wink! I love the look of a round set in a cushion-shaped halo.

One thing that I didn't like about the setting I found in the store was that it was too "fussy" for my taste (which is more vintage with a modern edge to it).

Wink asked me what I meant by "too fussy" and I told him that the ring in the store was too delicate for me and that I wanted a "modern halo" which to me means a bolder looking setting, mixing YG and unplated WG, using a bit less melee, and a more modern-looking gallery under the stone.

I sent him this photo from J. Albrecht's site as a place to start:

modernhalo.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wink responded that he liked the mixed metals, and asked me if I wanted milgrain added. I'm thinking I do, but I'm not quite sure yet.

I found these settings on his site:
The first one is an example of a ring with beautiful double-claw prongs, which I'd like in yellow gold (thanks Amethyste for that idea).

I also like the shape/angle of the shoulders of the setting.

I wanted to enlarge these, but when I did, they got all distorted. Sorry they're so small.

dblclaw.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
And finally, these last two photos are from Wink''s site, and are two halo styles I''m considering. I don''t think I want the surprise diamond, because I have short fingers and want my rings to fit flush.

I also need to find some photos of modern-looking galleries to show Wink what I''d like the ring to look like under the stone.

The Tiffany Legacy gallery is lovely, but too elaborate for me. Does anyone have any other ideas/photos of interesting galleries that have a modern twist to them?

Thanks!!!

And I''ll keep you posted as the custom process proceeds.

lowhal.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Second halo photo.

leghalo.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara! Great choices. Lovely, I''m super excited to see your new lovely stone set.
36.gif

here are just a couple that I like, simple, but sleek contemporary, though not so sure how this can be incorporated....lol thought I just throw this in the mix anyways
3.gif

gallery0809dt.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kicken!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Gee, you PS''ers work fast!

D&T, that is a gorgeous criss-cross gallery on that ring. Thanks!

Storm, thanks -- kickin'' is high praise coming from you
1.gif

QueenMum, I know, I know, I didn''t think I was a halo person either, until I saw the M in a cushion-shaped halo. It looked great on my hand!

And PS is all about getting us to stretch our boundaries (and our budgets!), right?

Thanks for the halos thread -- there are some good photos in there. The trick is to keep the halo shape and the modern feel.

Wink assures me he''s up to the challenge!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring is from Wink and he's fabulous to deal with. Mine was done by one of his designers, Ocean. I HIGHLY recommend working with him as he is just fabulous.

I would look at this ring by WF, as it seems to have a lot of the elements you want when it comes to the halo, but since you want more 'bulk' perhaps increase the point size on the diamonds a bit, and go with a sleek cathedral shank (so it's less dainty). I would say yes on the Milgrain if that's what you want on the halo.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-wf-custom-halo-cads-theyre-here.115054/

Here's my setting that I bought through Wink: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/drumroll-please-my-setting.72011/

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I tried enlarging the pic, best I can do.

I''m not loving the halos as it looks like the stone gets lost in them. Wondering if James Meyer can make a more cushion shaped bezel for your round. I bet he could. This way you can get the squarer look you want. I love the one D&T posted as well but thinking it may be a bit too modern. For your stone, I really think a Jame Meyer would be perfect. He makes softer looking settings that I think look beautiful on on lower color stones. His setting really make them pop.

dblclaw1.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, elle-chris,
I found out the way to enlarge the pictures is to double-click on them when you''re in Wink''s site.
So here''s the beautiful double-claw prong.
Wink said he could make a modified version of this for a RB. I love the prongs on this.

dblprng.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a bigger photo of the lower halo

lwhal.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
here''s a larger photo of the halo with the surprise diamond

tflega.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 6:42:18 PM
Author: Gypsy
My ring is from Wink and he's fabulous to deal with. Mine was done by one of his designers, Ocean. I HIGHLY recommend working with him as he is just fabulous.

I would look at this ring by WF, as it seems to have a lot of the elements you want when it comes to the halo, but since you want more 'bulk' perhaps increase the point size on the diamonds a bit, and go with a sleek cathedral shank (so it's less dainty). I would say yes on the Milgrain if that's what you want on the halo.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-wf-custom-halo-cads-theyre-here.115054/

Here's my setting that I bought through Wink: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/drumroll-please-my-setting.72011/

Gypsy, I just finished reading all 9 pages of your thread, and your ring from Wink and Ocean is....BREATHTAKING!!!

Seriously, I love the single-cut stones, the beautiful and unusual pave style, and the plain shank. I love the plain shank with the halo! It's interesting that you wanted the plain shank because it reminded you of art deco rings, but, to me, it looks so modern. I also like that it's a comfort fit shank.

WOW. It's amazing. Simply gorgeous. I had never seen photos of your ring before.

I also like the gallery of your ring. That is very similar to what I have in my head. I'd love a criss-cross gallery, but they usually stick out too far for the wedding band to fit flush.

The WF design you posted is lovely. I really like the double prongs. So if Wink can combine your design with the double prongs on the WF photo and do the YG/WG combo, I think we've got something here!

Oh, and btw, I've had an inner ear infection before, too -- sorry that spoiled your DH's plans for your ring and dinner -- and they are awful. I was so dizzy I was nauseous. I was in bed for several days. Awful!

Do other PS'ers have custom design rings from Wink!?!! Please post some photos for me!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I found this photo of beau13''s beautiful ring. I actually like her e-ring more with the plain band she wears with it -- so elegant.

halbeau13.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hey Sara, I just remember that Lieve, Paul''s colleague, has a yellow (L color) princess with black diamond pave. It''s gorgeous and very modern!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2009 1:42:18 PM
Author: QueenMum
Hey Sara, I just remember that Lieve, Paul''s colleague, has a yellow (L color) princess with black diamond pave. It''s gorgeous and very modern!

HEY.

What you callin'' yeller, bubba?

(not that there''s anything wrong with that)
2.gif

ring-lieves-jck08.jpg

Thread with more info.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, QueenMum, that sounds like a wonderful combination. I wonder if we could entice her to post pictures on PS! I'll ask Wink.

Your post about Lieve's ring made me think of this style by Wink sapphire surround which I really like alot (photo below). I would ask him to make it in yellow gold, with purple-blue sapphires and a plain shank.

I'm getting a better idea of what I want -- thanks, everyone!! Keep the photos/links/ideas coming; it's very helpful.

So here's the list of must-haves:

Plain shank on the e-ring
cushion-shaped halo (with white diamonds or colored stones, like the ring above)
Mixed yellow gold/white gold setting

elle_chris, I've thought a lot about what you said about James Meyer's work and how good he is at designing settings that show off lower color stones. And you're right, he's been high on my list. But I wear so much "funky, chunky" sterling silver jewelry, and I'm ready to kick it up a notch, and go back to yellow gold.

Although I love JM's work, I think I will ask him to set my mother's OEC in a ring for me, and put this M in something that's closer to Gypsy's ring -- maybe with colored stones.

sapphirewink.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, John Pollard!!!

Wow, please tell Lieve that that is a stunning ring.

Dang! Now I'm rethinking the halo and plain shank!!

Maybe we should call the color "Lellow"!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Sarah........ I am so anxious to see your lovely set soon...
I had saved very interesting settings but when I transfered my files to my new computer, the folder is no longer there...
7.gif

Are you leaning toward a halo mostly for this beauty? :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Amethyste, thanks for your post. I am excited, too, though I know it will be a few months before I actually get to wear it, by the time I make the final design choice and then waiting for the custom design process.

But seeing the photos of Gypsy''s ring were so inspiring. It''s worth the wait.

I did not think I would ever want a halo. In fact, my favorite thread on PS is the bezel thread!!

But I tried on a cushion-shaped halo, and I really liked it. I''ve always loved the proportions of beau13''s ring; I just never thought I''d like it on me. So I was surprised when I tried one on and it looked so nice.

I like a more tailored look, though, with less pave, so the blue sapphire ring of Wink''s (photo above) and Gypsy''s ring are really appealing to me.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2009 3:22:32 PM
Author: sarap333
Thanks, QueenMum, that sounds like a wonderful combination. I wonder if we could entice her to post pictures on PS! I''ll ask Wink.

Your post about Lieve''s ring made me think of this style by Wink sapphire surround which I really like alot (photo below). I would ask him to make it in yellow gold, with purple-blue sapphires and a plain shank.

I''m getting a better idea of what I want -- thanks, everyone!! Keep the photos/links/ideas coming; it''s very helpful.

So here''s the list of must-haves:

Plain shank on the e-ring
cushion-shaped halo (with white diamonds or colored stones, like the ring above)
Mixed yellow gold/white gold setting

elle_chris, I''ve thought a lot about what you said about James Meyer''s work and how good he is at designing settings that show off lower color stones. And you''re right, he''s been high on my list. But I wear so much ''funky, chunky'' sterling silver jewelry, and I''m ready to kick it up a notch, and go back to yellow gold.

Although I love JM''s work, I think I will ask him to set my mother''s OEC in a ring for me, and put this M in something that''s closer to Gypsy''s ring -- maybe with colored stones.
Oh my goodness what a task that ring was. We had to take a fairly significant parcel of sapphires and have them all cut from square to tapered so that they would fit together without leaving gaps between the stones, which would have looked aweful. I think she has five or ten spares incase she ever damages or loses a stone.

The lady who bought it arranged a driving vacation to pick it up. She was a delightful lady who styed with my wife and I and we did a BBQ for her. She then drove on to visit more friends. That ring brings back a lot of good memories!

Wink

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I know you''re considering a halo but since you were originally thinking modern, I''m wondering if you''ve considered a tension if rose/yellow gold. Something like this would look stunning.

niess1.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

niess2.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

niess3.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, elle, those photos are great -- I haven''t seen tension settings in rose gold or yellow gold.

I like the last photo a lot. It would look sharp alone or with two tiny white gold bands on either side. I have to watch out on width, though because my fingers are short. Tension settings are usually about the width of the stone, right?

These photos are so helpful - even though I live in a city of several hundred thousand, it''s in the Midwest and we''re a tad behind the times on the trends in settings.

I swear, it''s like the 1980s in jewelry stores here, and not the vintage-funky-1980s either.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 4:40:20 PM
Author: sarap333
Thanks, elle, those photos are great -- I haven''t seen tension settings in rose gold or yellow gold.

I like the last photo a lot. It would look sharp alone or with two tiny white gold bands on either side. I have to watch out on width, though because my fingers are short. Tension settings are usually about the width of the stone, right?

These photos are so helpful - even though I live in a city of several hundred thousand, it''s in the Midwest and we''re a tad behind the times on the trends in settings.

I swear, it''s like the 1980s in jewelry stores here, and not the vintage-funky-1980s either.
Lol
9.gif

But yea, they''re the width of the stone, so they''re wider settings. Gorgeous in person and no other setiting displays a diamond more beautifully. At least I don''t think so.
Pearlmans Jewelers carries Steven Kretchmer tension settings (one of my all time favorite designers). And Pearlman''s has been known to send out their settings so the customer can see it in person.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
The rose gold would be stunning in a tension setting. I''d probably wouldn''t add any other bands then, because of the width.

The bottom of my diamond is eye-clean -- amazing, since it''s an SI2. But then again, I have older eyes
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results