shape
carat
color
clarity

Will true antiques continue to climb in price?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I also think the popularity of old cuts will increase the demand and drive up the price. Before, no one wanted them. Now so many people are turning to them. And the bigger carats are even harder and more competitive.

I want an upgrade too but I think realistically I'm a few years away from it lol.

I love PS for the wealth of knowledge and going back to previous posts - this was from 2022.

I would love to hear the latest market trends for old cuts.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maryjane04,

Diamonds have hit a correction recently, so prices are in a bit of a kerfuffle right now. Eventually I believe things will sort out. I would imagine that true old cuts will continue to be loved and in general, scarcity and demand drives prices up.

I have a 1.04 old mine diamond that I love to bits, as my "real" e-ring. I wear different e-rings but when I slide that old wonky diamond back on my fingers, I cannot believe the multi-colored fire that comes from the tiny table. Old cuts are so magical.

I remember sitting in the car with my then teenage daughter years ago. It was rainy and we were around shopping signs and the ring looked like a rainbow light show. "Mom, your ring" my daughter said. She didn't even like jewelry, and even she was transfixed. Magic, I tell you :)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Maryjane04,

Diamonds have hit a correction recently, so prices are in a bit of a kerfuffle right now. Eventually I believe things will sort out. I would imagine that true old cuts will continue to be loved and in general, scarcity and demand drives prices up.

I have a 1.04 old mine diamond that I love to bits, as my "real" e-ring. I wear different e-rings but when I slide that old wonky diamond back on my fingers, I cannot believe the multi-colored fire that comes from the tiny table. Old cuts are so magical.

I remember sitting in the car with my then teenage daughter years ago. It was rainy and we were around shopping signs and the ring looked like a rainbow light show. "Mom, your ring" my daughter said. She didn't even like jewelry, and even she was transfixed. Magic, I tell you :)

Hi @MMtwo thanks for your reply.. seems like now is a great time to buy and not a great time to sell. Oh I love old cuts for their quirky personality. No two stones are the same and their light play is predictably unpredictable. Unlike modern cuts where it's all splintery. I love that your DD noticed your ring - might have dibs on that when she's older hehehe.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi @MMtwo thanks for your reply.. seems like now is a great time to buy and not a great time to sell. Oh I love old cuts for their quirky personality. No two stones are the same and their light play is predictably unpredictable. Unless modern cuts where it's all splintery. I love that your DD noticed your ring - might have dibs on that when she's older hehehe.

DD had had a few different iterations of future e-rings. Old cuts were on the list. More lately she has wanted to talk asscher and emerald cuts. She still wears little jewelry, but I did talk her into a golden south sea pearl and studs, which she lives in (the pendant). She is 30 now, and only has begin to be mildly interested in jewelry.
It is so mild boggling to think someone literally ground this wonky diamond down, following it's outer crystal shape. The girdle on my stone is bruted (natural diamond skin) and the center is a little mushy...but this old stone is so perfect. I love the idea of DD loving this diamond as much as I do.

Looks like you have an old cut too.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Aww that is so beautiful.. Your DD is a late bloomer.. probably saved you lots of money on not wanting much jewellery.

Yes I do have an old cut.. haha and trying to upgrade to a bigger old cut. I could always tell my hubby that I am passing it down to our DD (who is due to be born next month) :) hopefully he can justify the cost of upgrading hahaha. I just hope my DD will love old cuts as much as me one day.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Aww that is so beautiful.. Your DD is a late bloomer.. probably saved you lots of money on not wanting much jewellery.

Yes I do have an old cut.. haha and trying to upgrade to a bigger old cut. I could always tell my hubby that I am passing it down to our DD (who is due to be born next month) :) hopefully he can justify the cost of upgrading hahaha. I just hope my DD will love old cuts as much as me one day.

Sounds like fun and hope you can get into a bigger stone. Your stone in your avatar is beautiful. Congrats on the soon to be born daughter. This is such an exciting time.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your compliment and well wishes @MMtwo .. there is too much excitement and I am glad to have a place to share it with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results