shape
carat
color
clarity

Will true antiques continue to climb in price?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I see vendor after vendor on Instagram discussing the fact that well cut, true antique diamonds are scarcer and scarcer, and as a result, prices are climbing.

Of course inflation is a thing…

But I was curious, if I’m plotting an upgrade for an OEC, do I need to do it sooner rather than later?

No one has a crystal ball, just a discussion…

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is get what you love now if you can afford it. Don’t try to second guess the market. Live in the moment and enjoy today.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the deals are getting harder to find on old cuts and as a result it’s even more imperative to make a decision and move on something when you find it.

The prices won’t be going down that’s for sure, so it can’t hurt to start the search a little early. Not that we ever need a reason to justify diamond shopping, am I right? :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think the deals are getting harder to find on old cuts and as a result it’s even more imperative to make a decision and move on something when you find it.

The prices won’t be going down that’s for sure, so it can’t hurt to start the search a little early. Not that we ever need a reason to justify diamond shopping, am I right? :lol:

What, using a 2nd anniversary as a milestone for an upgrade isn’t reason enough? :lol:

I guess my husband and I have been together for over 5 years! Really stretching it now…hahaha

Only on PS would anyone understand…

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ok but upgrades aside, I’m curious about what other people think about rising prices, esp curious about the perspective of anyone in the trade

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I also think the popularity of old cuts will increase the demand and drive up the price. Before, no one wanted them. Now so many people are turning to them. And the bigger carats are even harder and more competitive.

I want an upgrade too but I think realistically I'm a few years away from it lol.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Prices have been going up and from talking to vendors in the trade, much is focused on the lack of supply coming in. Inflatation has not helped either.

Having trade shows where they flip inventory and the ability to buy/sell/source between all of the dealers, especially world wide, has had an impact from what I'm told. Things are getting more back to normal in a sense but supply is still tight. For certain stones it's always been tight, but even more so now. For you, knowing you likely want a high color OEC, that will have always been hard to find in any signifiacnt size because it was likely already recut into a MRB. On the other hand, if you were okay with an old mine cut, in a lower color range, you'd have more access. Stones over 3 or 4 carats have usually been less plentiful as well, looking at historical buying patterns.

It doesn't hurt to look, but I would think that if you want a D-E-F OEC of above 1.5 (trying to remember your current stone), you are likely in for a bit of a hunt. I'd be asking someone to search it for me if I were you, unless you enjoy the browsing process at multiple vendors.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Prices have been going up and from talking to vendors in the trade, much is focused on the lack of supply coming in. Inflatation has not helped either.

Having trade shows where they flip inventory and the ability to buy/sell/source between all of the dealers, especially world wide, has had an impact from what I'm told. Things are getting more back to normal in a sense but supply is still tight. For certain stones it's always been tight, but even more so now. For you, knowing you likely want a high color OEC, that will have always been hard to find in any signifiacnt size because it was likely already recut into a MRB. On the other hand, if you were okay with an old mine cut, in a lower color range, you'd have more access. Stones over 3 or 4 carats have usually been less plentiful as well, looking at historical buying patterns.

It doesn't hurt to look, but I would think that if you want a D-E-F OEC of above 1.5 (trying to remember your current stone), you are likely in for a bit of a hunt. I'd be asking someone to search it for me if I were you, unless you enjoy the browsing process at multiple vendors.

Thanks for your insights. I just have this fear that they are all being snapped up! And I do enjoy doing the hunt myself! This all makes sense, RE trade insights…and you have a good memory! My current stone is an E, but I wasn’t necessarily searching for THAT high of a color initially, it just happened to be what I found. I love my stone, it’s like a delightful little ice cube that glows white, but I have bad eyesight and honestly I can’t see the facets as much as I’d like. I’ll probably need 2.5-3 carats to really be able to enjoy the cut! I understand the “bigger is better” mantra a bit more than I ever expected to.

I did find a ~2 carat F that I like, but I’m not sure it grabbed me. Something is bothering me about the cut. But it’s truly the only one I’ve seen in the colorless range that I’d remotely consider right now.

If anyone is looking, go for it…

I’m opening up my specifications to lower colors. Luckily I truly don’t care about clarity, I don’t even need totally eye clean I think. I’m contemplating (N-R) or (D-H) versus the more…in-between range? It seems arbitrary, but I think the in-between colors are what irks my eyes the most - they keep searching for white, and don’t find it - so any tint is grating instead of pleasing. I’ll also be persnickety about what hue it is. My original M leaned yellow/green and looked sickly in some lighting.

Anyways, something that is conspicuously tinted and well cut, I have a feeling I’d enjoy. But I need to see individual stones IRL to know for certain…

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I also think the popularity of old cuts will increase the demand and drive up the price. Before, no one wanted them. Now so many people are turning to them. And the bigger carats are even harder and more competitive.

I want an upgrade too but I think realistically I'm a few years away from it lol.

Yes! They seem all the rage! Even super trendy IG accounts have them all over! I’m very stealthy keeping my eyes peeled! How big is yours now? Over 3 carats right? How quickly did you know you wanted an upgrade?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I would go to a show to try stuff on in person and figure out what you like/don't like. Large amount of vendors and lots of choice. Not sure where you are geographically, but there are quite a few around the US at various times. I hate Miami as a destination (I can say that, because I live in Florida...), but the Miami show in February is always very large. It's a place where you can see a ton.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I would go to a show to try stuff on in person and figure out what you like/don't like. Large amount of vendors and lots of choice. Not sure where you are geographically, but there are quite a few around the US at various times. I hate Miami as a destination (I can say that, because I live in Florida...), but the Miami show in February is always very large. It's a place where you can see a ton.

I totally think you are right. I've seen a number of antiques at a store before in my travels, but many of them weren't well-cut.

I live in Chicago, and the only place I know of that's local is Ivy & Rose! And there is nothing they have that I'd consider buying.

Too bad I missed the Miami show this year! Next year...

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! They seem all the rage! Even super trendy IG accounts have them all over! I’m very stealthy keeping my eyes peeled! How big is yours now? Over 3 carats right? How quickly did you know you wanted an upgrade?

Yeah I know right and a lot of newbies on PS are asking about them. I have a 3.6ct omc which faces up like a 2.5ct mrb... lol funny you ask that because even before I got her, I already had DSS plus my fingers have gotten bigger in the time too. So now researching 5ct+ but it will be years in the making as we've had a few big expenses. I do think 2-3ct oec would be lovely and would be more spready than my omc. I think if you can embrace the lower colours QR seems to be where the value is at the moment.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I know right and a lot of newbies on PS are asking about them. I have a 3.6ct omc which faces up like a 2.5ct mrb... lol funny you ask that because even before I got her, I already had DSS plus my fingers have gotten bigger in the time too. So now researching 5ct+ but it will be years in the making as we've had a few big expenses. I do think 2-3ct oec would be lovely and would be more spready than my omc. I think if you can embrace the lower colours QR seems to be where the value is at the moment.

Ahhh yes 5ct+ is a whole 'nother rodeo and prices are steep - but the heart wants what the heart wants!

OMCs do face up quite small, which is too bad! So much weight goes into the chunky bottom :bigsmile:

Admittedly, I'm not after a large look per say, I just want to really enjoy seeing my stone! I basically stare at my ring like a lunatic on and off throughout the day, and would just enjoy a more obvious pattern and bigger flashes.

Although I have huge hands with long fingers, size 8, bc I'm so tall, so I think I can carry a large stone without it looking very big tbh.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What, using a 2nd anniversary as a milestone for an upgrade isn’t reason enough? :lol:

I guess my husband and I have been together for over 5 years! Really stretching it now…hahaha

Only on PS would anyone understand…

That’s okay, I bought something for our 17th wedding anniversary, we have been together 22 years…..as of March 2023.

So I’m ahead of the game! ;)2
However it was an amazing price and knew I would regret it if I didn’t jump on it.

Can’t wait to see your second anniversary upgrade!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh yes 5ct+ is a whole 'nother rodeo and prices are steep - but the heart wants what the heart wants!

OMCs do face up quite small, which is too bad! So much weight goes into the chunky bottom :bigsmile:

Admittedly, I'm not after a large look per say, I just want to really enjoy seeing my stone! I basically stare at my ring like a lunatic on and off throughout the day, and would just enjoy a more obvious pattern and bigger flashes.

Although I have huge hands with long fingers, size 8, bc I'm so tall, so I think I can carry a large stone without it looking very big tbh.

Haha I too have size 8.. probably 8.5 fingers now so I could rock that too!

I totally get that.. the bigger the diamond the easier it is to see the facets. I can actually see the ones in mine and love it.. just wish it was a smidge bigger. I think it might end up costing a lot more when I'm ready to upgrade though.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I also see prices going up and inventory going down -- if you know you want something in particular, I echo the posters who say to keep looking and snap it up if you find what you want.

Lang Antiques is having their Summer Sale -- everything 10% - 25% off -- this is a sweet 2 carat H-VS2 that GIA calls a Circular Brilliant, kind of an OEC/Tranny hybrid -- https://www.langantiques.com/art-deco-style-2-00-carat-diamond-engagement-ring-gia-h-vs2.html

Oh summer sale! Thank you! Very pretty stone. They have such pretty things but I do find them so expensive! This makes them much more within reach

I’d have to unload my current ring and maybe my sapphire ring to subsidize this plot…

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

I totally get that.. the bigger the diamond the easier it is to see the facets. I can actually see the ones in mine and love it.. just wish it was a smidge bigger. I think it might end up costing a lot more when I'm ready to upgrade though.

Ditto! I tell my husband at least he saves money on restaurants because I don’t drink champagne or eat lobster!

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My observation is that prices on 3+ carat stones have risen at least 8% since last Fall.

I think @maryjane04 is right on the money. Last year, there might have been value in N color and warmer. NOP is pricier now. This year, Q/R seem like the color grade were you can start to see decent value. But in the higher carat size even Q/Rs are trading at close to $8K per carat.

ETA: Equivalent larger carat N colors are trading at over $12K per carat.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My observation is that prices on 3+ carat stones have risen at least 8% since last Fall.

I think @maryjane04 is right on the money. Last year, there might have been value in N color and warmer. NOP is pricier now. This year, Q/R seem like the color grade were you can start to see decent value. But in the higher carat size even Q/Rs are trading at close to $8K per carat.

ETA: Equivalent larger carat N colors are trading at over $12K per carat.

interesting, are you approximating price per carat across just everything you are seeing?

it is hard for me to get a grasp on what is fair vs overpriced for per carat costs. curious to hear your thoughts

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok but upgrades aside, I’m curious about what other people think about rising prices, esp curious about the perspective of anyone in the trade

When I got my GIA diploma back in 1975 the old style cutting diamonds sold for huge discounts from a "normal" round brilliant cut diamond. For about ten to fifteen years or so, I did a significant portion of my business doing recuts for younger couples who had inherited one of the old style cuts from their parents or more commonly, their grandparents.

I would always sit down with the clients in my office and discuss the diamond with them. If it was a lifeless dud, not too uncommon, I would highly recommend a recut. If it was a beautiful old style cut with significant flashes of white and especially, colored light, I would recommend preserving the beauty of this treasure. Many of my clients were surprised by this, as other jewelers they had spoken to had disparaged their old style cut and recommended that they either have it recut or trade it in on one of their beauties. (At a stupid low trade in price, of course.)

Today, as has been mentioned, these old treasures are getting rarer and rarer. The price will not be going down in my opinion, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

I think there will be a strong market for older shapes in lab grown diamonds too. The cost of rough is low for the lab growns compared to naturals, and cutters can afford to experiment.

We are blessed to be living in interesting times in the diamond world.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
When I got my GIA diploma back in 1975 the old style cutting diamonds sold for huge discounts from a "normal" round brilliant cut diamond. For about ten to fifteen years or so, I did a significant portion of my business doing recuts for younger couples who had inherited one of the old style cuts from their parents or more commonly, their grandparents.

I would always sit down with the clients in my office and discuss the diamond with them. If it was a lifeless dud, not too uncommon, I would highly recommend a recut. If it was a beautiful old style cut with significant flashes of white and especially, colored light, I would recommend preserving the beauty of this treasure. Many of my clients were surprised by this, as other jewelers they had spoken to had disparaged their old style cut and recommended that they either have it recut or trade it in on one of their beauties. (At a stupid low trade in price, of course.)

Today, as has been mentioned, these old treasures are getting rarer and rarer. The price will not be going down in my opinion, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

I think there will be a strong market for older shapes in lab grown diamonds too. The cost of rough is low for the lab growns compared to naturals, and cutters can afford to experiment.

We are blessed to be living in interesting times in the diamond world.

So grateful that you had the wisdom to preserve beautiful antiques and made recommendations to clients! I’m sure many treasures were spared the chopping block!

In my mind - yes, there is just a finite number. Of course estates will open to the market, people will sell stones, etc…but I’m hoping that they remain in circulation for people to discover and fall in love with.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
interesting, are you approximating price per carat across just everything you are seeing?

it is hard for me to get a grasp on what is fair vs overpriced for per carat costs. curious to hear your thoughts

Yes, definitely prices have increased across the board. Again, I mostly collect data on 3+ diamonds. But if I look at say a 2.8-2.9 L/VS1, for instance, the price as risen by ~11% from 9/21 to 6/22.

There seems to have been a larger percentage increase on 5+ ct stones-even in lower colors. For instance, the price for a 6 ct U/V increased 21% from 10/21 to 6/22.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Also fun turn of events…I fell for OMCs! They are even harder to find…ugh! And gosh, so much smaller face up! :errrr:

I saw such a gorgeous one IRL, it was just too small…but was smitten with the cut! Love this pattern under the table with the Maltese cross

Uncerted H, 1.6 carats, next to my 1.3 carat E

38F01CF4-AB1E-4EEF-845C-D1BB6089270F.jpeg
AF569299-287A-4F13-9517-1C0F7CC5120A.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also fun turn of events…I fell for OMCs! They are even harder to find…ugh! And gosh, so much smaller face up! :errrr:

I saw such a gorgeous one IRL, it was just too small…but was smitten with the cut! Love this pattern under the table with the Maltese cross

That cushion is everything :love:

So every time I spout off about “even distributions of white and black face up” and “random chessboard-like contrast” - this is seriously exactly what I mean. I’m going to save this photo for an example.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That cushion is everything :love:

So every time I spout off about “even distributions of white and black face up” and “random chessboard-like contrast” - this is seriously exactly what I mean. I’m going to save this photo for an example.

It’s got the perfect facet pattern! It’s so bright and gorgeous it honestly outshines my OEC!

I wish it were a bit bigger…or she’d be mine! I will absolutely be using it as a reference for my hunt!

It’s like my OEC is pretty in a way that almost anyone can appreciate…like a pretty, blonde girl-next-door type, like an Amanda Seyfried. Approachable and likable!

But the OMC is Penelope Cruz…she’s got fire, complexity and is almost intimidatingly beautiful

:lol:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s got the perfect facet pattern! It’s so bright and gorgeous it honestly outshines my OEC!

I wish it were a bit bigger…or she’d be mine! I will absolutely be using it as a reference for my hunt!

It’s like my OEC is pretty in a way that almost anyone can appreciate…like a pretty, blonde girl-next-door type, like an Amanda Seyfried. Approachable and likable!

But the OMC is Penelope Cruz…she’s got fire, complexity and is almost intimidatingly beautiful

:lol:

I completely get the analogy, and ten years from now someone is going to read this post and marvel at how #thatgeneration thought :lol:

dmack

Shiny_Rock

Omg, I want it, where’d you see it??? (It’s surely out of my budget but a girl can dream…)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results