shape
carat
color
clarity

will Obama be a good President?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the reason why you are not getting answers to your questions is not your questions per se but this thread has taken on a very inhospitable tone. Look at the beginning vs. the end of this thread you see what I mean. The discourse has degenerated into ideological attacks, and it isn''t really fun or profitable to post when no one seems to even read what one posts. I am used to that in other blogs, just not in pricescope.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:19:59 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 9/16/2008 2:14:26 PM
Author: MoonWater
Hey Indy, I haven''t had a chance to read the link in your other post so I can''t answer it at the moment. However this one (for me) is easy. No, I do not think Obama should have picked Hillary. The Clintons have a lot of baggage that I believe would have been more harmful for Obama than Biden. Some Dems remember the 90s as a glorious time but not all of them (which is how we ended up with Obama in the first place, some are absolutely sick of the Clintons).

I think a lot of the GOP had their mouths watering at the thought of going up against the Clintons again. All the old scandals would have been brought up for a whole new generation to absorb. The sketchiness surrounding the funding of the Clinton library and how Bill makes his cash would have come up. Rumors about Hillary''s lesbian relationship would have come up. The anti-Hillary movie would have gotten more attention. And lord knows if Bill has been having more affairs. So yeah, I just don''t think it would have done well. It''s a ''dream'' only superficially.
Thanks for your insight MW. I didn''t follow the Clintons after Bill''s White House days so I wasn''t aware of all the scandal that has ensured. I guess Hillary would be absorbing a lot of criticism but I don''t think it would be anything new for her. The McCain campaign isn''t necessarily having a field day defending Palin but it hasn''t hurt him in the polls. I realize that Biden was a safe choice, but do you think Obama would be worse off in the polls than he is today? Obviously, hindsight is 20/20. Do you think Hillary would''ve accepted?
I don''t think Palin compares to Hillary mainly because she hasn''t been in the spotlight for very long. People that want to like her can dismiss the criticisms against her more easiely. On the other hand, Hillary has a history of being a polarizing figure. I''m sure McCain would bring up how she botched universal health care the first time (which pissed off both parties). She would have definitely gotten some votes (she had/has quite the following) but I''m not sure if it would have been outweighed by those that would have wanted to vote against the Clintons (and few tend to seperate the two people). I actually do think Obama would be worst off in the polls.

As far as Hillary accepting, I don''t think she would have (or rather, I don''t think she did, who''s to say it wasn''t offered). From the little I''ve read about the issues surrounding Bill''s money and the funding of the Clinton library, well, it doesn''t make them look that great. All of that info would have to be released in order for her to run. I think the Clintons would prefer to live comfortably as they are now and make that sacrifice (releasing details on how they make their money) if/when Hillary runs for President again. I think they''d take the risk for the top slot, not the second. But this is all my opinion of course.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:35:59 PM
Author: part gypsy
I think the reason why you are not getting answers to your questions is not your questions per se but this thread has taken on a very inhospitable tone. Look at the beginning vs. the end of this thread you see what I mean. The discourse has degenerated into ideological attacks, and it isn''t really fun or profitable to post when no one seems to even read what one posts. I am used to that in other blogs, just not in pricescope.
Yeah, I had some questions about Obama and wanted to here from people who "know" him more than I do, so I thought I''d post it here. MW answered my question about Hillary as VP in a very civil way, and I look forward to continuing that discussion and hope that this thread goes back to good.
4.gif
I wasn''t really looking for a debate about abortion on this particular thread, but the Born Alive Act is, I think, on a different vein since the NARAL even thought it was okay. Hopefully this thread is salvagable.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:40:37 PM

I don''t think Palin compares to Hillary mainly because she hasn''t been in the spotlight for very long. People that want to like her can dismiss the criticisms against her more easiely. On the other hand, Hillary has a history of being a polarizing figure. I''m sure McCain would bring up how she botched universal health care the first time (which pissed off both parties). She would have definitely gotten some votes (she had/has quite the following) but I''m not sure if it would have been outweighed by those that would have wanted to vote against the Clintons (and few tend to seperate the two people). I actually do think Obama would be worst off in the polls.

As far as Hillary accepting, I don''t think she would have (or rather, I don''t think she did, who''s to say it wasn''t offered). From the little I''ve read about the issues surrounding Bill''s money and the funding of the Clinton library, well, it doesn''t make them look that great. All of that info would have to be released in order for her to run. I think the Clintons would prefer to live comfortably as they are now and make that sacrifice (releasing details on how they make their money) if/when Hillary runs for President again. I think they''d take the risk for the top slot, not the second. But this is all my opinion of course.
Yeah, it''s all very interesting...I also think that she might not have/had accepted the 2nd Banana slot. She doesn''t want to be Al Gore in 2012, after all. I don''t think McCain would''ve needed to pick Palin had Clinton been chosen, so I agree Obama could''ve very likely been worse off in the polls right now with Hillary. However, if it was Palin v. Hillary I think Hillary would''ve given Obama the edge, but then again like I said, I don''t know too much about Clinton scandal outside Bill''s term. Picking Hillary would have probably also hurt the bipartisan message Obama''s been trying to convey, though...I''m sure it was a tough decision with a lot of balancing going on.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:46:09 PM

Date: 9/16/2008 2:40:37 PM

I don't think Palin compares to Hillary mainly because she hasn't been in the spotlight for very long. People that want to like her can dismiss the criticisms against her more easiely. On the other hand, Hillary has a history of being a polarizing figure. I'm sure McCain would bring up how she botched universal health care the first time (which pissed off both parties). She would have definitely gotten some votes (she had/has quite the following) but I'm not sure if it would have been outweighed by those that would have wanted to vote against the Clintons (and few tend to seperate the two people). I actually do think Obama would be worst off in the polls.

As far as Hillary accepting, I don't think she would have (or rather, I don't think she did, who's to say it wasn't offered). From the little I've read about the issues surrounding Bill's money and the funding of the Clinton library, well, it doesn't make them look that great. All of that info would have to be released in order for her to run. I think the Clintons would prefer to live comfortably as they are now and make that sacrifice (releasing details on how they make their money) if/when Hillary runs for President again. I think they'd take the risk for the top slot, not the second. But this is all my opinion of course.
Yeah, it's all very interesting...I also think that she might not have/had accepted the 2nd Banana slot. She doesn't want to be Al Gore in 2012, after all. I don't think McCain would've needed to pick Palin had Clinton been chosen, so I agree Obama could've very likely been worse off in the polls right now with Hillary. However, if it was Palin v. Hillary I think Hillary would've given Obama the edge, but then again like I said, I don't know too much about Clinton scandal outside Bill's term. Picking Hillary would have probably also hurt the bipartisan message Obama's been trying to convey, though...I'm sure it was a tough decision with a lot of balancing going on.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. The Clintons know best what it must have been like for Al Gore. Lots of people thought Hillary had more power in the WH than Gore, and with her boosting about her credentials during the campaign, you had to wonder. There is no way that woman wanted to be relegated to second in command. I think she has more power and influence as a Senator. (Plus she gets to run again if Obama loses).

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I''ve heard from a lot of people that Hillary didn''t want the VP slot. I don''t know if we will ever know that or not, but there has be a TON of speculation that she opted out of it.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of Hillary...did you Dems hear about this? What do you think about it? link Just lies or was Hillary ripped off? I have to admit I didn't follow the primaries very closely; sorry if this story has been quashed.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Please continue to post ON TOPIC. Thank you.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
A new study came out from the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center and the policy journal Health Affairs suggest that Obama''s proposal would eventually cover more than 34 million of the roughly 47 million Americans currently without insurance, while McCain''s would cover at best 5 million uninsured.

So those of you without heath insurance, take note!

Here''s the link to the article at The Washington Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/16/new_studies_report_wide_dispar.html

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Apparently Hugh Downs doesn't think Obama will be a good president; actually he doesn't think he'll get elected:
www.americanthinker.com/2008/08/the_odd_choices_in_barak_obam.html

Oops. Let me correct myself: it is apparently not Hugh Downs (I thought that would be a bit odd for him), it is someone named J.R. Dunn. Still, he makes some valid points.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 12:51:09 PM
Author: luckystar112
Recent changes made to the Obama website

Innnnnnterrrresting.

Seems someone is a little confused as to where they stand on the issues.
Seems fishy, yes, but winning an election is a word game. Semantics are key. One wrong word and you can alienate a LOT of people. Like I've said before, you have to play the game to win. He can't change anything at all if he's not elected. I give BOTH candidates some slack on flip-flopping. It's part of the game.

I've never known a political candidate to stand by everything he's ever said, or not change his mind. Or not go back on something he's said. Or not be considered a hypocrite. McCain and Obama are both guilty.

I try to look past the election year drama-oriented news, and look at what they "generally" stand for. Not to say I never get sucked in...
2.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Re: Born Alive Act, I personally would have voted for it because I think people should decide to abort early on so this situation will not occur. However, I understand Obama''s reasoning and don''t have a problem with the fact that he voted against it. I do hope that if the women that attempted to abort these children do not want these kids that the government (and everyone pro this Act) will figure out some way to care for them so that they do not endure worse suffering down the line. And btw, adoption doesn''t always occur for every child.

There''s your answer Indy! Sorry I didn''t answer sooner. I simply do not care enough about this topic as I think it''s far too personal (which is why I''m pro-choice in the first place). I also don''t feel like getting in some boring back and forth about it either. So hopefully this will suffice.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:07:04 PM
Re: Born Alive Act, I personally would have voted for it because I think people should decide to abort early on so this situation will not occur. However, I understand Obama''s reasoning and don''t have a problem with the fact that he voted against it. I do hope that if the women that attempted to abort these children do not want these kids that the government (and everyone pro this Act) will figure out some way to care for them so that they do not endure worse suffering down the line. And btw, adoption doesn''t always occur for every child.

There''s your answer Indy! Sorry I didn''t answer sooner. I simply do not care enough about this topic as I think it''s far too personal (which is why I''m pro-choice in the first place). I also don''t feel like getting in some boring back and forth about it either. So hopefully this will suffice.
If you don''t care about it then I wouldn''t expect you to reply to my query made weeks ago. I wasn''t asking for a response from you specifically, I was just wondering if ANYONE on PS is "liberal" enough to think that the act was a bad idea since even NARAL and Hillary supported it. No back and forth here, just trying to get information about the issue since I *do* care that Obama doesn''t think aborted babies that survive should be given medical attention.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Apparently the rest of the "liberals" don't care enough about it to respond or find it too personal to discuss. So I don't get the constant reference to the fact that you *still* haven't received a response (such was the case with your issue with Biden) said in such a way as if it is evidence of something. I decided to respond because I promised that I would go back, read and do so.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:17:07 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 12:07:04 PM

If you don''t care about it then I wouldn''t expect you to reply to my query made weeks ago. I wasn''t asking for a response from you specifically, I was just wondering if ANYONE on PS is ''liberal'' enough to think that the act was a bad idea since even NARAL and Hillary supported it. No back and forth here, just trying to get information about the issue since I *do* care that Obama doesn''t think aborted babies that survive should be given medical attention.
35.gif
I guess I''m "liberal enough" to support his decision.

I don''t think it''s that Obama doesnt support that they get medical attention, I think he supports government staying out of our medical decisions, as I do. I think those decisions should be left for the mother and the doctor.

I don''t like my decisions being made for me.

I absolutely see the other side of this, and expect my answer to be controversial to most.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
elle, I think it''s a slippery slope and I believe that''s the way Obama was viewing it. Say yes to this, then it inches further backwards to justifying what it means to be viable, going further back until abortion is banned completely.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:27:29 PM
elle, I think it''s a slippery slope and I believe that''s the way Obama was viewing it. Say yes to this, then it inches further backwards to justifying what it means to be viable, going further back until abortion is banned completely.
Absolutely, and I agree.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:24:15 PM
Apparently the rest of the ''liberals'' don''t care enough about it to respond or find it too personal to discuss. So I don''t get the constant reference to the fact that you *still* haven''t received a response (such was the case with your issue with Biden) said in such a way as if it is evidence of something. I decided to respond because I promised that I would go back, read and do so.
I didn''t assume you were the spokeswoman for all the liberals around here, so just because you think an issue is too personal (although how is this more personal than abortion I don''t know) doesn''t mean that I wouldn''t want feedback from OTHER PSers. Why you think that I would want responses from people who don''t care about an issue is beyond me. Several people have just recently joined ATW threads and I assume they are perusing this thread. I can say I have received no feedback about a topic I posted about if I please and if you don''t care about it then why respond at all? Why not just ignore it?

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:25:08 PM
Author: elledizzy5
35.gif
I guess I'm 'liberal enough' to support his decision.

I don't think it's that Obama doesnt support that they get medical attention, I think he supports government staying out of our medical decisions, as I do. I think those decisions should be left for the mother and the doctor.

I don't like my decisions being made for me.

I absolutely see the other side of this, and expect my answer to be controversial to most.
Thanks for the feedback, elle. I didn't mean "liberal" in a derogatory way, I just didn't know if that was the right word to describe Obama's view since I would consider NARAL more liberal than he and they support it. I see where under Roe v. Wade the decision to abort would be between the mother and doctor, but as Roe v. Wade states, once the fetus is viable the state has an interest in preserving the life of the child. I would think that once labor is induced for the purposes of abortion but something goes wrong and it is surviving independently of the mother, that the choice is no longer a medical decision for the mother but for the baby. How someone could think that that baby doesn't have the same rights as any other delivered baby is the confusion for me. Anyway, I appreciate your response, as I know I posted the question quite awhile ago and we have some newer ATW PSers and I was hoping for more input.
36.gif

ETA: I think you and I at least agree that if abortion is to truly be kept legal in its current state that something stronger than Roe v. Wade is needed. They put too much emphasis on viability in the first place; which is an arbitrary marker nowadays.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:37:18 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 12:25:08 PM
35.gif
I guess I''m ''liberal enough'' to support his decision.

I don''t think it''s that Obama doesnt support that they get medical attention, I think he supports government staying out of our medical decisions, as I do. I think those decisions should be left for the mother and the doctor.

I don''t like my decisions being made for me.

Thanks for the feedback, elle. I didn''t mean ''liberal'' in a derogatory way, I just didn''t know if that was the right word to describe Obama''s view since I would consider NARAL more liberal than he and they support it. I see where under Roe v. Wade the decision to abort would be between the mother and doctor, but as Roe v. Wade states, once the fetus is viable the state has an interest in preserving the life of the child. I would think that once labor is induced for the purposes of abortion but something goes wrong and it is surviving independently of the mother, that the choice is no longer a medical decision for the mother but for the baby. How someone could think that that baby doesn''t have the same rights as any other delivered baby is the confusion for me. Anyway, I appreciate your response, as I know I posted the question quite awhile ago and we have some newer ATW PSers and I was hoping for more input.
36.gif

ETA: I think you and I at least agree that if abortion is to truly be kept legal in its current state that something stronger than Roe v. Wade is needed. They put too much emphasis on viability in the first place; which is an arbitrary marker nowadays.
No problem, glad to contribute. Question though... and this is not pointed, I''m actually curious.

If you have a sick child, you are not required to give medical treatment, correct? Or no? I think maybe if it''s religious reasons for no medical treatment you can pass, right? So if that''s the case, I think the same rights should be given to any mother. If she doesnt want to treat her baby, she shouldnt have to. (Not to say I agree with not treating children)

I think if parents can forgo medical treatment for their children, they should definitely be allowed that option in this situation as well.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:42:02 PM

No problem, glad to contribute. Question though... and this is not pointed, I''m actually curious.

If you have a sick child, you are not required to give medical treatment, correct? Or no? I think maybe if it''s religious reasons for no medical treatment you can pass, right? So if that''s the case, I think the same rights should be given to any mother. If she doesnt want to treat her baby, she shouldnt have to. (Not to say I agree with not treating children)

I think if parents can forgo medical treatment for their children, they should definitely be allowed that option in this situation as well.
I definitely don''t assume ulterior motives for any questions you ask, so ask away! I enjoy having these discussions with interested people on the other side of the fence. I think jurisdictions have gone both ways on the no medical treatment for children for religious reasons situation, but don''t quote me on that. I seem to remember some cases where verdicts have come out on either side. I definitely see where the mother might want to forgo medical treatment for a baby she was trying to abort (not for religious reasons in this instance), but the other question comes up is if the doctor has a duty/right to treat that dying baby regardless of if the mother wants him to.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:30:18 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 12:24:15 PM
Huh? I offered possible reasons for why you never got a response, what does that have to do with me being a spokesperson or your desire to receive feedback? Why you think that I would want responses from people who don''t care about an issue is beyond me. What? Several people have just recently joined ATW threads and I assume they are perusing this thread. Since it was on page 2, I doubt it. I can say I have received no feedback about a topic I posted about if I please and if you don''t care about it then why respond at all? Sure you can, but you always say it as if it is some indicator of something negative, which is why I suggested that there could be other reasons. I don''t get why you have a problem with that suggestion. Why not just ignore it? Because I specifically told you that I would respond when you first posted about it. I have this bad habit of following up. My bad.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:52:06 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 12:42:02 PM

I definitely don''t assume ulterior motives for any questions you ask, so ask away! I enjoy having these discussions with interested people on the other side of the fence. I think jurisdictions have gone both ways on the no medical treatment for children for religious reasons situation, but don''t quote me on that. I seem to remember some cases where verdicts have come out on either side. I definitely see where the mother might want to forgo medical treatment for a baby she was trying to abort (not for religious reasons in this instance), but the other question comes up is if the doctor has a duty/right to treat that dying baby regardless of if the mother wants him to.
Ok I tried to do a bit of research on the topic. I''ve found that in general, parents can refuse treatment for their child. However, if the doctor feels strongly that the child will endure suffering, pain, or death, they can take legal action against the parent to require medical treatment.

So in essence, yes, your child can be forced into medical treatment. Which negates my original argument. Damn.
2.gif

So now here''s a question. Once that aborted baby that lives is treated by a physician, is the baby the financial/legal responsibility of the mother? Or is that baby deemed to have been given up since she had originally planned to abort it? What if the baby has significant medical problems that significantly diminish quality of life, is the doctor still required to treat it? At what point do the decisions get returned to the birth mother, if ever?

Lots to consider here.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 2:16:52 PM

Ok I tried to do a bit of research on the topic. I''ve found that in general, parents can refuse treatment for their child. However, if the doctor feels strongly that the child will endure suffering, pain, or death, they can take legal action against the parent to require medical treatment.

So in essence, yes, your child can be forced into medical treatment. Which negates my original argument. Damn.
2.gif

So now here''s a question. Once that aborted baby that lives is treated by a physician, is the baby the financial/legal responsibility of the mother? Or is that baby deemed to have been given up since she had originally planned to abort it? What if the baby has significant medical problems that significantly diminish quality of life, is the doctor still required to treat it? At what point do the decisions get returned to the birth mother, if ever?

Lots to consider here.
I would assume it would be treated as an abandoned baby if the mother truly wants to sign over all parental rights to the state and they are put up for adoption. I read the story of the girl who was in the McCain ad - apparently her mother tried to get an instillation abortion when she was 7.5 months pregnant and as a result of it she was born with atrophy and cerebral palsy but the doctors treated her. Her parents then gave her up for adoption and she was adopted by a family who didn''t tell her she was adopted until she was 12 years old. It''s a pretty great story since she can now walk and lives a fairly normal life. I would probably guess that the biological parents still have primary rights, but they would most likely not want them if they were seeking an abortion in the first place.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 2:28:05 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 2:16:52 PM

2.gif

Lots to consider here.
I would assume it would be treated as an abandoned baby if the mother truly wants to sign over all parental rights to the state and they are put up for adoption. I read the story of the girl who was in the McCain ad - apparently her mother tried to get an instillation abortion when she was 7.5 months pregnant and as a result of it she was born with atrophy and cerebral palsy but the doctors treated her. Her parents then gave her up for adoption and she was adopted by a family who didn''t tell her she was adopted until she was 12 years old. It''s a pretty great story since she can now walk and lives a fairly normal life. I would probably guess that the biological parents still have primary rights, but they would most likely not want them if they were seeking an abortion in the first place.

That''s kind what I''m wondering. I mean, if this is still this woman''s baby, I don''t think it''s right to force her into anything, but if by attempting abortion, you''re giving up parental rights, then I suppose I could support that act, since the baby is now in control of the state, they can do with it what they wish, and you''re not stepping on anyone''s toes.

That was a run-on sentence.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 2:32:18 PM

That''s kind what I''m wondering. I mean, if this is still this woman''s baby, I don''t think it''s right to force her into anything, but if by attempting abortion, you''re giving up parental rights, then I suppose I could support that act, since the baby is now in control of the state, they can do with it what they wish, and you''re not stepping on anyone''s toes.

That was a run-on sentence.
From that woman''s story I think her parents did still have their rights since they had to sign to put her up for adoption. They were young and probably couldn''t care for a healthy baby, let alone one who developed cerebral palsy from a failed abortion.
23.gif
However, I think that most doctors would be horrified to be put in that situation and would want to help the baby who is now born, alive, and possesses all the rights of any other human even under Roe v. Wade standards. Also, because late term abortions are so rare anyway, the number of lives actually affected by this act is probably quite miniscule, making it more permissible to staunch pro-choicers I would imagine.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:36:00 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 10/13/2008 12:28:00 PM
Author: luckystar112
Obama''s ''95 percent'' illusion

Where will the money for McCain''s tax credits come from?
Ah, but see...I posted this in the Obama thread because it is Obama''s policy and Obama''s "illusion".
McCain isn''t pretending to cut taxes for 95% of the country, Obama is!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results