shape
carat
color
clarity

will Obama be a good President?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 2:41:17 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 6/5/2008 2:36:29 PM
Author: Starset Princess

When I hear Obama speak? I don''t hear a main reciting a speech that someone brilliantly wrote for him to deliver. I hear a man who''s voice has compassion and concern. I hear a man who won''t embarrass us in front of foreign leaders. I hear a man who''s smart enough and dumb enough to think he can actually MAKE CHANGES in this country. He''s not in this race because it''s ''his turn'' and ''he''s earned it.'' He has risen above the odds of being a first term Senator - barely known outside of Illinois to bring on a MOVEMENT. He''s not a candidate, he''s a freaking movement - with the millennial generation registering to vote in droves because of him. This man is inspirational - just the way Kennedy inspired. It will be hard for him to not follow through because he has this movement behind him - holding him accountable and helping along the way. We want change and I think Obama is the only candidate who will come through.
Very well said Starset. He has inspired an otherwise incredibly selfish generation and that alone is amazingly admirable.
Count me among that "selfish generation" that was motivated by him. I''m 23, but only registered to vote this winter so that I could vote for him in the primary. Now that I am an involved voter, I''m ashamed to say that I just didn''t see the point before--no politician seemed deserving of office and it always seemed to be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

I''m sure many feel the same about the choice between Obama and McCain, but for myself, I finally feel like actually supporting a candidate... instead of just a "well, I guess I like him a bit better than the other guy..."

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 2:36:29 PM
Author: Starset Princess

When I hear Obama speak? I don't hear a man reciting a speech that someone brilliantly wrote for him to deliver. I see a man who barely needs the telepromter to deliver his message because he knows it, he means it, and he believes it in. I hear a man who's voice has compassion and concern. I hear a man who won't embarrass us in front of foreign leaders. I hear a man who's smart enough and dumb enough to think he can actually MAKE CHANGES in this country. He's not in this race because it's 'his turn' and 'he's earned it.' He has risen above the odds of being a first term Senator - barely known outside of Illinois to bring on a MOVEMENT. He's not a candidate, he's a freaking movement - with the millennial generation registering to vote in droves because of him. This man is inspirational - just the way Kennedy inspired. It will be hard for him to not follow through because he has this movement behind him - holding him accountable and helping along the way. We want change and I think Obama is the only candidate who will come through.
I am so glad you said this, because this is something I think as well. I feel like for the first time I have a better chance, WE have a better chance, at holding a President accountable. I don't expect for him to be perfect, because no one is, but so many people are invested in his campaign that I think it will be extremely hard for him to betray us without getting a lot of $h*t for it. Besides, one of the things he wants is more accountability in government anyhow. He won't be able to complain when we do it to him lol.

“Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.” -William Authur Ward (or Wood, depending on where you look heh)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone read this book? I just saw a review on Salon yesterday and am thinking of getting it: "Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the America Voter."

This thread reminded me of it, but I''ve recently heard several "opinions" about Obama that make me embarrassed for the ignorance, gullibility, and apathy I see in many Americans. I won''t go into all of them, but the one that bothers me the most is that my MIL still insists he''s Muslim.

The editorial review reads:
Levees break in New Orleans. Iraq descends into chaos. The housing market teeters on the brink of collapse. Americans of all political stripes are heading into the 2008 election with the sense that something has gone terribly wrong with American politics. But what exactly? Democrats blame Republicans and Republicans blame Democrats. Greedy corporate executives, rogue journalists, faulty voting machines, irresponsible defense contractors-we blame them, too. The only thing everyone seems to agree on, in fact, is that the American people are entirely blameless. In Just How Stupid Are We?, best-selling historian and renowned myth-buster Rick Shenkman takes aim at our great national piety: the wisdom of the American people. The hard truth is that American democracy is more direct than ever-but voters are misusing, abusing, and abdicating their political power. Americans are paying less and less attention to politics at a time when they need to pay much more: Television has dumbed politics down to the basest possible level, while the real workings of politics have become vastly more complicated. Shenkman offers concrete proposals for reforming our institutions-the government, the media, civic organizations, political parties-to make them work better for the American people. But first, Shenkman argues, we must reform ourselves.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Interesting book Selkie! Thanks for posting. Frankly I think we are insanely stupid as a nation. I can not even believe how we have allowed this to happen. WE should OWN this government but everyone walks around ignoring it, fearing it, or both.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 2:36:18 PM
You should go through this.

And this.

And this.

And then you can come back and ask questions.

I really can''t believe that you have made it through 16+ months without knowing anything about him. Like the fact that he''s half African for instance. And that he was raised by his white mother and grandparents in Hawaii. Or millions of other little facts and blurbs.

Do you not have a TV DF?
i do now,buttt.....i may have to pawn it to feed my daughters after they raise my taxes.

lunch time!!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 3:01:05 PM
Author: MoonWater
Interesting book Selkie! Thanks for posting. Frankly I think we are insanely stupid as a nation. I can not even believe how we have allowed this to happen. WE should OWN this government but everyone walks around ignoring it, fearing it, or both.

I agree. It drives me nuts to hear people use "Elite" as a derogatory remark about politicians. Personally, I WANT a smart, well-educated, well-travelled, cosmopolitan person running the country!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif

I think you should probably do some research about Obama before it comes to that. And if it does, I'll give you our second TV. Capiche?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 2:58:00 PM
Author: Selkie
This thread reminded me of it, but I''ve recently heard several ''opinions'' about Obama that make me embarrassed for the ignorance, gullibility, and apathy I see in many Americans. I won''t go into all of them, but the one that bothers me the most is that my MIL still insists he''s Muslim.
My aunt and uncle visited with my parents last Sunday and politics came into discussion. My Aunt said, well I know one thing for dam sure I ain''t voting for some Muslim terrorist to take over this country. This coming from a woman who supports her 36 year old daughter and her two daughters in a modular home they built on their property. Jointly my aunt and cousin take in foster children FOR THE MONEY. These people, let me tell you, have figured out how to abuse the government social system to its highest potential. It makes me think of Million Dollar Baby - her family.

My mother, being a lifelong Democrat and an Obama supporter, couldn''t even defend that statement. Where the heck do you start?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Starset, I don''t know. I JUST don''t know. I guess we just hope there''s enough people out there, actually paying attention, who can outweigh their votes. If they vote. DH and I figure that we are 2:1 against his mom. She''s a sweet lady, but she''s of a different generation and vastly different background, and it''s all about who has your ear.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 3:06:03 PM
20.gif

I think you should probably do some research about Obama before it comes to that. And if it does, I''ll give you our second TV. Capiche?

9.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 3:01:07 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

And this.

And this.

I really can''t believe that you have made it through 16+ months without knowing anything about him. Like the fact that he''s half African for instance. And that he was raised by his white mother and grandparents in Hawaii. Or millions of other little facts and blurbs.

Do you not have a TV DF?
i do now,buttt.....i may have to pawn it to feed my daughters after they raise my taxes.

lunch time!!!
Ignoring the issue and changing the subject? Why, that''s not change we can believe in!!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 3:18:18 PM

Ignoring the issue and changing the subject? Why, that''s not change we can believe in!!
AGHGHGGHGHGHGHHGHghghghghg!

That sound is almost as cringing as Steve Erkell asking "Did I do that?" snort snort

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

And this.

And this.

Do you not have a TV DF?

lunch time!!!
DF, in my limited experience with you, you remind me a lot of my dad. The anti-taxes thing and the riling people up with very tiny comments thing.

So as a warning, if I randomly get pissed off at you at some point in the future, that''s probably why.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 3:18:18 PM

And this.

And this.

Do you not have a TV DF?

lunch time!!!
And do you not even begin to have an inkling why many people like me - and by all indicators, most of the people in these political threads, who read enormous quantities about divers subjects, digest and synthesize almost all of it, and choose a position based on that information, see self-proclaimed "conservatives" who respond as inanely as you do - and there are many, sadly for the conservatives who can formulate a true position, - as a bunch of lazy, knuckle-dragging luddites?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw c''mon, I like Dancing Fire. But serious DF, there are worse things than higher taxes. For example cutting taxes and but running up a huge (and I mean HUGE) deficit. If you want to complain about high diamond prices, complain to the republicans, who supported or instigated such practices that have devalued the dollar such as a lack of regulations in housing, credit, and the market, and manipulations of the dollar such as making available tons of cheap money. There are business cycles but the level of manipulations done by this administration in an attempt to stave off a recession while a Republican is in office will make this downturn more worse, more prolonged, and more widespread. Increased taxes isn''t making gas $4 a gallon, or what you are getting at the grocery more expensive. There are many many things that are affecting average americans'' bottom line and overall financial health. Tax is only one of them, and probably not the most important thing as well.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 4:04:39 PM
Author: part gypsy
Aw c''mon, I like Dancing Fire. But serious DF, there are worse things than higher taxes. For example cutting taxes and but running up a huge (and I mean HUGE) deficit. If you want to complain about high diamond prices, complain to the republicans, who supported or instigated such practices that have devalued the dollar such as a lack of regulations in housing, credit, and the market, and manipulations of the dollar such as making available tons of cheap money. There are business cycles but the level of manipulations done by this administration in an attempt to stave off a recession while a Republican is in office will make this downturn more worse, more prolonged, and more widespread. Increased taxes isn''t making gas $4 a gallon, or what you are getting at the grocery more expensive. There are many many things that are affecting average americans'' bottom line and overall financial health. Tax is only one of them, and probably not the most important thing as well.
Oh awright. I''m sorry about the luddite part. I realize DF is a long time member here, but outside of diamonds, in the off-topics, this guy clearly isn''t wanting a discussion, doesn''t want his opinions actually challenged, and is too lazy to do the tiniest bit of research to defend them. He doesn''t know anything about Obama?? Give me a break. Google''ll tell you more than you ever wanted to know!

As for whether Obama would make a good president or not, there are about 3 or 4 threads in this area where one could read for hours on what people think about him and why. No need to start a new thread, certainly not one with no thoughts by the originator.

Sheesh.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Karen, I think I love you!
5.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting article Moon!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''m not against taxes, but the way our tax dollars are spent like supporting illegal immigrants and their kids
29.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone read this book? I just saw a review on Salon yesterday and am thinking of getting it: ''Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the America Voter.''

This thread reminded me of it, but I''ve recently heard several ''opinions'' about Obama that make me embarrassed for the ignorance, gullibility, and apathy I see in many Americans. I won''t go into all of them, but the one that bothers me the most is that my MIL still insists he''s Muslim.

Levees break in New Orleans. Iraq descends into chaos. The housing market teeters on the brink of collapse. Americans of all political stripes are heading into the 2008 election with the sense that something has gone terribly wrong with American politics. But what exactly? Democrats blame Republicans and Republicans blame Democrats. Greedy corporate executives, rogue journalists, faulty voting machines, irresponsible defense contractors-we blame them, too. The only thing everyone seems to agree on, in fact, is that the American people are entirely blameless. In Just How Stupid Are We?, best-selling historian and renowned myth-buster Rick Shenkman takes aim at our great national piety: the wisdom of the American people. The hard truth is that American democracy is more direct than ever-but voters are misusing, abusing, and abdicating their political power. Americans are paying less and less attention to politics at a time when they need to pay much more: Television has dumbed politics down to the basest possible level, while the real workings of politics have become vastly more complicated. Shenkman offers concrete proposals for reforming our institutions-the government, the media, civic organizations, political parties-to make them work better for the American people. But first, Shenkman argues, we must reform ourselves.
I''m sure it would go along quite well with one I''ve recently read entitled "The Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby. A truly excellent read...

reviews:

From Publishers Weekly
Inspired by Richard Hofstadter''s trenchant 1963 cultural analysis Anti-Intellectualism in American Life, Jacoby (Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism) has produced an engaging, updated and meticulously thought-out continuation of her academic idol''s research. Dismayed by the average U.S. citizen''s political and social apathy and the overall crisis of memory and knowledge involving everything about the way we learn and think, Jacoby passionately argues that the nation''s current cult of unreason has deadly and destructive consequences (the war in Iraq, for one) and traces the seeds of current anti-intellectualism (and its partner in crime, antirationalism) back to post-WWII society. Unafraid of pointing fingers, she singles out mass media and the resurgence of fundamentalist religion as the primary vectors of anti-intellectualism, while also having harsh words for pseudoscientists. Through historical research, Jacoby breaks down popular beliefs that the 1950s were a cultural wasteland and the 1960s were solely a breeding ground for liberals. Though sometimes partial to inflated prose (America''s endemic anti-intellectual tendencies have been grievously exacerbated by a new species of semiconscious anti-rationalism), Jacoby has assembled an erudite mix of personal anecdotes, cultural history and social commentary to decry America''s retreat into junk thought. (Feb. 12)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
From The New Yorker
Identifying herself as a "cultural conservationist" (but by no means a cultural conservative), Jacoby laments the decline of middlebrow American culture and presents a cogent defense of intellectualism. America, she believes, faces a "crisis of memory and knowledge," in which anti-intellectualism is not only tolerated but celebrated by those in politics and the media to whom we are all "just folks." The Internet, for all its promise, is too often "a highway to the far-flung regions of junk thought." Meanwhile, twenty-five per cent of high-school biology teachers believe that human beings and dinosaurs shared the earth, and more than a third of Americans can’t name a single First Amendment right. In such an environment, Jacoby argues, the secular left and the religious right can have no fruitful dialogue on issues like the separation of church and state. She offers little hope that the situation will improve, opining that, despite increasing levels of education, "Americans seem to know less and less."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 6:39:54 PM

i'm not against taxes, but the way our tax dollars are spent like supporting illegal immigrants and their kids
29.gif

Gee...I can't begin to tell you the things I object to seeing my taxes used for. How much has it cost so far to kill a lot of innocent Iraqis and young American servicemen and servicewomen in order to destabilize the Middle East and make Iran more powerful? Because that's probably my favorite choice for "Biggest Waste of Taxes in the Past Quarter Century".

Deborah
34.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 7:17:57 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 6/5/2008 6:39:54 PM

i'm not against taxes, but the way our tax dollars are spent like supporting illegal immigrants and their kids
29.gif

Gee...I can't begin to tell you the things I object to seeing my taxes used for. How much has it cost so far to kill a lot of innocent Iraqis and young American servicemen and servicewomen in order to destabilize the Middle East and make Iran more powerful? Because that's probably my favorite choice for 'Biggest Waste of Taxes in the Past Quarter Century'.

Deborah

34.gif

THANK YOU!! I think that DF has to be pulling our chain. No way he fits the bill of the stereotypical ignorant Republican. If so, I now understand how Hannity and O'Relliy stay in business.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 7:01:56 PM
Author: ksinger

Has anyone read this book? I just saw a review on Salon yesterday and am thinking of getting it: ''Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the America Voter.''

I''m sure it would go along quite well with one I''ve recently read entitled ''The Age of American Unreason'' by Susan Jacoby. A truly excellent read...

reviews:

From Publishers Weekly

Inspired by Richard Hofstadter''s trenchant 1963 cultural analysis Anti-Intellectualism in American Life, Jacoby (Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism) has produced an engaging, updated and meticulously thought-out continuation of her academic idol''s research. Dismayed by the average U.S. citizen''s political and social apathy and the overall crisis of memory and knowledge involving everything about the way we learn and think, Jacoby passionately argues that the nation''s current cult of unreason has deadly and destructive consequences (the war in Iraq, for one) and traces the seeds of current anti-intellectualism (and its partner in crime, antirationalism) back to post-WWII society. Unafraid of pointing fingers, she singles out mass media and the resurgence of fundamentalist religion as the primary vectors of anti-intellectualism, while also having harsh words for pseudoscientists. Through historical research, Jacoby breaks down popular beliefs that the 1950s were a cultural wasteland and the 1960s were solely a breeding ground for liberals. Though sometimes partial to inflated prose (America''s endemic anti-intellectual tendencies have been grievously exacerbated by a new species of semiconscious anti-rationalism), Jacoby has assembled an erudite mix of personal anecdotes, cultural history and social commentary to decry America''s retreat into junk thought. (Feb. 12)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From The New Yorker

Identifying herself as a ''cultural conservationist'' (but by no means a cultural conservative), Jacoby laments the decline of middlebrow American culture and presents a cogent defense of intellectualism. America, she believes, faces a ''crisis of memory and knowledge,'' in which anti-intellectualism is not only tolerated but celebrated by those in politics and the media to whom we are all ''just folks.'' The Internet, for all its promise, is too often ''a highway to the far-flung regions of junk thought.'' Meanwhile, twenty-five per cent of high-school biology teachers believe that human beings and dinosaurs shared the earth, and more than a third of Americans can’t name a single First Amendment right. In such an environment, Jacoby argues, the secular left and the religious right can have no fruitful dialogue on issues like the separation of church and state. She offers little hope that the situation will improve, opining that, despite increasing levels of education, ''Americans seem to know less and less.''

Ooh another good one. My to read list is getting too long!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 7:22:11 PM

THANK YOU!! I think that DF has to be pulling our chain. No way he fits the bill of the stereotypical ignorant Republican. If so, I now understand how Hannity and O''Relliy stay in business.
and don''t forget Glenn Beck
2.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Since Freke reminded me...perhaps I should simply defer to Dylan for the rest of this election process....

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There’s a battle outside
And it is ragin’.
It’ll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin’.

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don’t criticize
What you can’t understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin’.
Please get out of the new one
If you can’t lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin’.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 3:41:42 PM
Author: musey

DF, in my limited experience with you, you remind me a lot of my dad. The anti-taxes thing and the riling people up with very tiny comments thing.

So as a warning, if I randomly get pissed off at you at some point in the future, that''s probably why.
hey musey
35.gif
no problem . you can say anything you like,it wouldn''t bother me at all. i can disagree with you on one topic and agree with you 101% on a different topic.
2.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

Gee...I can't begin to tell you the things I object to seeing my taxes used for. How much has it cost so far to kill a lot of innocent Iraqis and young American servicemen and servicewomen in order to destabilize the Middle East and make Iran more powerful? Because that's probably my favorite choice for 'Biggest Waste of Taxes in the Past Quarter Century'.

Deborah

Yep, that's one of mine, too.

Or, how about this, for those who love to gripe about welfare and assistance programs:
Fact I : Spending for corporate welfare programs outweighs
spending for low-income programs by more than
three to one: $167 billion to $51.7 billion
(source: Aid for Dependent Corporations, from the
Corporate Welfare Project and How Much Do We Spend
on Welfare?, from the Center on Budget and
Policy Priorities, FY 95 figures).

Fact II: Total federal spending on a safety net for
the poor costs the average taxpayer about
$400 a year, while spending on corporate welfare
programs costs the same taxpayer about
$1400 a year. (source: CBO figures)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Things that are worse than higher taxes:

1. A 2.5 trillion dollar (and counting) occupation of Iraq.

2. 4,000 US service people dead (and counting) icasualties.org

3. A continuing uncontrolled surge in worldwide oil prices.

4. A deepening worldwide food crisis.

5. Presidential executive order circumventing laws against wiretapping US citizens.

6. A President violating his inaugural day oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

7. Housing market meltdown.

8. The Vice President approving the exposure of a covert CIA operative. (An act of treason)

9. An 8 year denial of the human impact on greenhouse gases resulting in global climate change. (this changed as of last week with the release of the US Commission on Science and Technology report)

10. Healthcare based on PROFIT.

I'll take emergency services, paved roads, and the post office any day.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 7:46:52 PM

Gee...I can''t begin to tell you the things I object to seeing my taxes used for. How much has it cost so far to kill a lot of innocent Iraqis and young American servicemen and servicewomen in order to destabilize the Middle East and make Iran more powerful? Because that''s probably my favorite choice for ''Biggest Waste of Taxes in the Past Quarter Century''.

Deborah

Yep, that''s one of mine, too.

Or, how about this, for those who love to gripe about welfare and assistance programs:

Fact I : Spending for corporate welfare programs outweighs

spending for low-income programs by more than

three to one: $167 billion to $51.7 billion

(source: Aid for Dependent Corporations, from the

Corporate Welfare Project and How Much Do We Spend

on Welfare?, from the Center on Budget and

Policy Priorities, FY 95 figures).

Fact II: Total federal spending on a safety net for

the poor costs the average taxpayer about

$400 a year, while spending on corporate welfare

programs costs the same taxpayer about

$1400 a year. (source: CBO figures)

This is the kind of $#@! that really pisses me the $#@! off!! This is the kind of $#@! that makes me read and research politics nearly every day. This kind of $#@! is why I study law! This is the kind of $#@! that makes me want to slap ignorant people with big mouths upside the head.
29.gif
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results