shape
carat
color
clarity

Will Gold darken?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a 14kt pendant that I received for Mother’s Day that ended up cracking a couple of months later so I sent it back to be replaced. The replacement is 14kt as well but seems so much lighter than my original pendant. Is it possible that my original pendant darkened a bit with wear? Or is it more likely that the alloys are different this time around? It doesn’t match my chain and I could have sworn it used to match.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 14kt pendant that I received for Mother’s Day that ended up cracking a couple of months later so I sent it back to be replaced. The replacement is 14kt as well but seems so much lighter than my original pendant. Is it possible that my original pendant darkened a bit with wear? Or is it more likely that the alloys are different this time around? It doesn’t match my chain and I could have sworn it used to match.

I don’t think it darkened...I think it depends on what alloys are used to make the 14k gold.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i have seen 18kt gold oxidize, over time. im going to assume it is perhaps slightly more probable in 14kt gold as it contains less of the noble metal and more alloy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results