shape
carat
color
clarity

Width of a Three-Sided Pave? Will I be able to change this?

Trvst

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I recently decided to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend from Whiteflash. I picked out the diamond and the setting that I know she liked - three-sided pave - and recently put in my order. Because I'm an idiot, I totally forgot to check what the width of the band was going to be until today, and to my disappointment it's 4mm. I'm nowhere near an expert when it comes to rings but wouldn't 4mm be on the higher side of ring width?

Her ring size is 5.25 and I have a feeling that this is going to be way too thick for her finger.

Any advice on this?

Also: Whiteflash isn't open on the weekend so I haven't been able to reach anyone - Do any of you know how quickly they build a ring? The day it was supposed to be sent out was September 7th (approx another 10 days). Do you think they would allow me to make a change (either the band or the width) this far into the process?

This is the setting I purchased here: https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/three-side-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1018.htm

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Re: Width of a Three-Sided Pave? Will I be able to change t

Does she like wider shanks? I wear a 5.25 and I wear 6mm total (3 rings) on my finger and don't think it is too much.

Trvst

Rough_Rock

rubybeth|1314577479|3003989 said:
Does she like wider shanks? I wear a 5.25 and I wear 6mm total (3 rings) on my finger and don't think it is too much.

Anytime we've went looking at rings in the store she always loved the three-sided pave. I'm not really sure what the average width of a three-sided pave is but I would have thought it was more around 2.5 - 3.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

That ring is widest near the stone and tapers down to 2mm. So it probably is comfortable to wear. It you are thinking she won't like the look of it, then by all means call WF and change your order. I am guessing there could still be time to make a change.

Trvst

Rough_Rock

swingirl|1314578011|3004005 said:
That ring is widest near the stone and tapers down to 2mm. So it probably is comfortable to wear. It you are thinking she won't like the look of it, then by all means call WF and change your order. I am guessing there could still be time to make a change.

What I'm really worried about is that it's going to look huge on her finger. I've been trying to find a decent ruler to use to check for the exact measurement but we don't seem to have one around the house.

Another worry of mine is that the width might make the diamond I chose look a little strange also.

It's a 9.1 carat emerald cut diamond with a length of 6.2 and a width of 4.8. Would the size of the ring appear to shrink the diamond?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I would call WF first thing in the morning if you are unsure.

question...does she like the 3-sided pave or the 3-row rounded pave (like this one? http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-563.htm )

if she likes the 3-sided then perhaps ask WF about customizing it so it is less wide? For example this setting is less wide and has the 3-sided pave...perhaps it could be customized to not have the side diamonds but still have the integrated head?
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/imperial-diamond-engagement-ring-107.htm

Trvst

Rough_Rock

slg47|1314578903|3004025 said:

question...does she like the 3-sided pave or the 3-row rounded pave (like this one? http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-563.htm )

if she likes the 3-sided then perhaps ask WF about customizing it so it is less wide? For example this setting is less wide and has the 3-sided pave...perhaps it could be customized to not have the side diamonds but still have the integrated head?
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/imperial-diamond-engagement-ring-107.htm

It's the Three-Sided for sure. I took her out looking at rings a few weeks ago just to make sure. What's strange is that all of the local stores we looked at seemed to have bands that were not as wide.

I'm kind angry at myself about all of this because I spent so long educating myself on the diamond that I totally overlooked the width of the band. :angryfire:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

Trvst said:

What I'm really worried about is that it's going to look huge on her finger. I've been trying to find a decent ruler to use to check for the exact measurement but we don't seem to have one around the house.

Another worry of mine is that the width might make the diamond I chose look a little strange also.

It's a 9.1 carat emerald cut diamond with a length of 6.2 and a width of 4.8. Would the size of the ring appear to shrink the diamond?
Please forgive me, but is there a typo somewhere in there?

Also, I NEVER do this, but since you don't seem to be 100% on the decision I am going to butt in and say -- I am not convinced that is the setting that will make a beautiful emerald cut diamond shine. I think all the miligrain and pave might compete with the elegance of the center stone.

I could be wrong -- I hope I'm wrong! -- but I wanted to throw that out there. Good luck!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Trvst|1314579470|3004035 said:
slg47|1314578903|3004025 said:

It's the Three-Sided for sure. I took her out looking at rings a few weeks ago just to make sure. What's strange is that all of the local stores we looked at seemed to have bands that were not as wide.

I'm kind angry at myself about all of this because I spent so long educating myself on the diamond that I totally overlooked the width of the band. :angryfire:

I think you meant a 0.9 carat emerald cut diamond instead of a 9 carat?

anyway I think a slightly slimmer setting would work better and I also strongly prefer settings where the band is integrated into the head instead of a peg head. just call them and see if they can change it.

Trvst

Rough_Rock

sillyberry|1314579824|3004044 said:
Trvst said:

Please forgive me, but is there a typo somewhere in there?

Also, I NEVER do this, but since you don't seem to be 100% on the decision I am going to butt in and say -- I am not convinced that is the setting that will make a beautiful emerald cut diamond shine. I think all the miligrain and pave might compete with the elegance of the center stone.

I could be wrong -- I hope I'm wrong! -- but I wanted to throw that out there. Good luck!

Sorry sorry 0.91 carat :razz: haha

I actually had read up on the pave/emerald cut discussion but after looking at a few of the combinations where we leave she really ended up liking it.

UPDATE: I actually had a chat with my girlfriend about ring width a few minutes ago and she doesn't believe that 4mm is too thick. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing :twirl: I am going to call them to see if anything can be done to make it a little slimmer. I think 3 would be perfect.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

I suggest having her go try on different band sizes very soon to see how she would like the 4mm on her own fingers. I'm wondering if a .91 carat EC may get a bit "lost" in a 4mm shank AND 3 sided pave.

Or you can search through PS for wider rings, compare to thinner rings & show them to her.

Here are 2 threads I found featuring 4mm shank rings. But neither of those have 3-sided pave though.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/newly-engaged-with-pics-of-the-ring-here.143030/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/euroshank-wider-band-or-both.158157/

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Definitely give WF a call, but it may not be as big of an issue since it's 4mm on top, not the bottom. Not sure it will look as wide when the width is not up against the finger. Call them and ask!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Trvst

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the help everyone!

My girlfriend actually took a look at some of the other WF settings today and decided that the 'Legato Sleek Line Pave' would probably be a better fit for her small hands.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

I talked to Traci at Whiteflash earlier today and she said that they would be able to accommodate a change if I got back to her tomorrow. I guess what they say about WF's great customer service is true.

Thank you for all of the suggestions in here.

Now I can continue being excited to see it in person.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

That will be a gorgeous ring!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Trvst|1314677332|3005145 said:
Thanks for all the help everyone!

My girlfriend actually took a look at some of the other WF settings today and decided that the 'Legato Sleek Line Pave' would probably be a better fit for her small hands.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

I talked to Traci at Whiteflash earlier today and she said that they would be able to accommodate a change if I got back to her tomorrow. I guess what they say about WF's great customer service is true.

Thank you for all of the suggestions in here.

Now I can continue being excited to see it in person.

Oh I prefer that setting. Great choice!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

oh that's going to be beautiful :) I think that setting will let the center stone really pop. Please please post pictures of the finished ring once you get them!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

So glad she took a look! :wink2:

Congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the sleek-line! Post pics when you get it!

Trvst

Rough_Rock

Just wanted to let you all know that I've received pictures of the ring set in the Legato Sleek Line Pave!

I am sooo happy that we decided to make a change on the setting.

If you want to take a look at it, I posted a thread in the Show Me The Bling forum

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...set-in-legato-sleek-line-pave-from-wf.165189/

Thank you all for the help!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results