shape
carat
color
clarity

Euroshank, wider band or both?

shootingstar

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am about to choose my setting in a couple of days (so not a lot of time!) and I really don't want the ring to spin. The centre stone is just over 1.5ct. Would euroshank prevent this for sure? Or would a wider band be sufficient for preventing the movement? How wide should the band be to keep the ring put? I definitely don't want anything thinner than 2mm, I am more leaning towards 3mm. I will be getting it re-set for sure in the future to add side stones, for now it will be just a simple solitaire.
Thank you for any input in advance :)

PS> I thought I was posting this in another category... Feel free to move it, if it doesn't belong here:) Thanks! (and sorry lol)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shootingstar said:
Hi all, I am about to choose my setting in a couple of days (so not a lot of time!) and I really don't want the ring to spin. The centre stone is just over 1.5ct. Would euroshank prevent this for sure? Or would a wider band be sufficient for preventing the movement? How wide should the band be to keep the ring put? I definitely don't want anything thinner than 2mm, I am more leaning towards 3mm. I will be getting it re-set for sure in the future to add side stones, for now it will be just a simple solitaire.
Thank you for any input in advance :)

PS> I thought I was posting this in another category... Feel free to move it, if it doesn't belong here:) Thanks! (and sorry lol)

A euroshank will prevent side-side spinning (around the finger, as in, the head w/ centrestone resting on your third finger and your pinky), wider band will prevent front/back rocking (head toppling back and forth from knuckle to knuckle)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you'll get different opinions on euroshank. I do think they help with ring movement. I had one on a ring that was about 2.3mm at the head of the diamond and it tapered outwards to 4 mm at the bottom, while it was comfortable for me on the sides of my finger and definitely kept the diamond from rotating to the sides, it was uncomfortable on the bottom where the euroshank starts to square off.

shootingstar

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your posts. Good point about the euroshank preventing movement side to side and the wider band from rocking. Will think about that one.
I tried a euroshank on once and it seemed very comfy (it was about 4mm), so I guess it also depends on how the band itself is made (maybe?).
I do like a wider band, even as wide as 4mm, but of course having a thinner band optically makes the diamond look bigger, which is a good thing. So I am trying to find out how thin the band can be (not less then 2mm though) to keep the ring put as much as possible, but to not be too wide, as it would look too wide with the wedding band (for me anyways). For my wedding band I am thinking 3mm. Should my e-ring be 3mm, as well? Would this help?
Thanks again!:)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my previous ring was a 4mm wide ring and you can see that my wedding band was around 4.5-5mm, and it stayed pretty upright. the weight of the shank was pretty hefty so it kept from spinning for me, since my diamond + head of ring wasn't heavier than the whole shank.

it also depends on how tight/loose your ring is as well.

briangavin6.jpg

shootingstar

Rough_Rock
D&T|1300590393|2875594 said:
my previous ring was a 4mm wide ring and you can see that my wedding band was around 4.5-5mm, and it stayed pretty upright. the weight of the shank was pretty hefty so it kept from spinning for me, since my diamond + head of ring wasn't heavier than the whole shank.

briangavin6.jpg

Thank you! I want my ring as tight as possible, but having larger knuckles than where the ring will actually sit, it probably won't be as tight, as I would like it to be, because I wouldn't be able to get it on in the morning lol. I might post pictures of my hand tomorrow, so that you can see what I mean:)

And as for the head, I like the x-prong styles, don't know if these are considered heavy or not :?:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
many PSer's have sizing beads to help keep the ring from spinning especially if you need the ring to slide over your knuckles. Hopefully those that have sizing beads will chime in.

shootingstar

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much D&T!:) I don't know how it's possible, but I never came across these sizing beads! Great idea :naughty: I hope those who have them will post here to help me decide:) My knuckles are not really large, but they are a bit larger in circumference than where the ring will sit, so this might be a great option! Thanks so much for this!!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
D&T|1300590393|2875594 said:

briangavin6.jpg

Sorry to be off topic, but I had to say how pretty your kite set is. I have never seen a Princess? photograph so well. Its so full of SPARKLE (sorry I'm still learning terminology).
It reminds me of when I was little and would draw diamonds in my pictures...i never drew round diamonds. I thought all diamonds were shaped like how yours is set. i love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results