carat
color
clarity

Why Would One Choose MMD Over Real?

• Thread starter MTHealthyLiving
  • Start date

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
If you are interested in putting this to the test, I can help you to write a protocol. However it would take a dozen ideal cut, D to E, 100% eyeclean diamonds. Which you'd have to borrow, as you would obviously know your own diamonds. Maybe there's a jeweler somewhere who would set it up for a group of people who want to try it.

There are too many "what ifs" and "buts" in your story for it to be considered a proper blinded test.

Sorry, I disagree. There's no what ifs and buts, and I can spot them 10 out of 10. It is absolutely easy for me to tell a CZ from a diamond. It has nothing to do with a diamond being eye-clean. It has to do with the way the facets reflect light.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Hi BlueMa,

The thread was about the future prices of MMD-Man Made Diamonds which are Lab grown real genuin diamond crystals, not CZ.

I had to respond based on the earlier many CZ discussions.

As far as the future value is concerned, you'd be taking a huge risk to purchase a lab-grown diamond, and it'll never be an investment. First off they're not inexpensive, you're paying up to 20-30% off mined diamond cost, and the current inflated price is only justified for the past R&D effort. Just as in moissanites that you can now purchase for less than $100 for a two carats on Amazon, the man-made lab grown stones will most likely plunge in price in the near future unless the supply is kept controlled.

There is something to be said about genuine mined diamonds that are a few billion years old along with cultural implication and social status of owing the real-deal.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the bigger issue is that when people say "MMD" it means different things to different people. More informed buys will understand it's a lab created diamond. Others lump CZ's in the same category. It may not be fair, or right, but the reality is it happens.

I just prefer to consider them synthetic diamonds. From the small groups I've talked to, the reasons are simple: better cost, better & more consistent cut and not having to worry about conflicts/blood.

I personally don't agree with all this, especially cost. If you get a truly lab created MMD the savings is minimal, yet to some people that 20% +/- is significant and helps pay other bills, or get a nicer honeymoon, etc. Others tend to apply the savings to a bigger stone they otherwise couldn't afford.

While this drives me crazy, I also understand it's a byproduct of our world today where image and social status is so important to everyone. We've been subjected to the brainwashing that authentic big diamond equals bigger/stronger/more love. Women knows about this better than anyone -- all you are subjected to images of being sexy and beautiful at a young age and until you die. Anything short of that ideal image makes you less somehow (according to fake social groups) and judging by all the feminine products flying off the shelves (makeup, nails, eyelashes, etc) I'd say marketers have done a great job.

My bigger issue is those who blindly choose to support synthetic diamonds for blood/conflict reasons. No doubt some horrible things have happened. I don't support them. But let's not be naive -- the fact we have the freedom to sit here & discuss this damn topic was and is still being bought with blood! Not one luxury of freedom is free at all. We've all lost brothers (rather we share the same blood type/DNA), family members, or other loved ones to defending those freedoms. And yes, many times wars are masked with illusions of freedom to really achieve other objectives (control of oil for example). So if you want to get self-righteous about diamonds, look around and make sure you are choosing to live the rest of your life the same way because pretty much every luxury and comfort we enjoy was and is still being bought by blood & conflict.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
MThealthy living :They buy synthetic diamonds because there is a considerable price difference as compared to natural diamonds. 20% discount especially with larger stones is sidnificant. There can also be the component of believing it is more ethical and in fact it is a "real" diamond.
The same goes for diamond simulants such as cz and moissanite. Cheap price is usually the prime motivation.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Cheap price is usually the prime motivation.

That! - justification only helps with the decision or you wouldn't be choosing a synthetic that is practically indistinguishable from mined diamond while paying so much for the illusion.

Last edited:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not because we sell real earth mined diamonds that I say -Beware of MMD! I predict their prices will go sharply down with time since every day there are more and more labs "growing" diamonds eventually they will start competing on prices <Snip>

David

David, welcome to our playground! I agree with you that at this time the synthetic diamonds are too expensive and their prices are already coming down. How far? Who knows, but they are coming down.

Wink

Last edited:

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink,
Thank you for welcomming me.
Can you please share with me how can I add a hyper link in my signature
and how do I get "trade" label?:twisted2:

M

MTHealthyLiving

MThealthy living :They buy synthetic diamonds because there is a considerable price difference as compared to natural diamonds. 20% discount especially with larger stones is sidnificant. There can also be the component of believing it is more ethical and in fact it is a "real" diamond.
The same goes for diamond simulants such as cz and moissanite. Cheap price is usually the prime motivation.

Considering the up to 300% markup of chain/mall jewelrs, she probably paid more for her MMD than she woukd have for a mined diamond from a real jeweler.
The issue in this scenario is that she went in completely blind, and Samuels sucked her into their great “sale.”

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade

As far as the future value is concerned, you'd be taking a huge risk to purchase a lab-grown diamond, and it'll never be an investment. First off they're not inexpensive, you're paying up to 20-30% off mined diamond cost, and the current inflated price is only justified for the past R&D effort. Just as in moissanites that you can now purchase for less than $100 for a two carats on Amazon, the man-made lab grown stones will most likely plunge in price in the near future unless the supply is kept controlled.

There is something to be said about genuine mined diamonds that are a few billion years old along with cultural implication and social status of owing the real-deal.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would never speak of CZ and Moissanites as comparable Crystals, CZ is good for linited time which after it scratches all over and looks like plastic.
Moissanites are forever just like diamonds ! they will never scratch but there is one difference between tham ad natural diamonds-they sparkle with brilliance MORE than diamonds!!

M

MTHealthyLiving

Considering the buyer I’m talking about in this thread bought her MMD from a mall chain (Samuels), there’s a good chance she paid MORE for her MMD than she would have a mined diamond from a reputable jeweler.
It’s very sad to me, and frustrating when people get taken advantage of. But in this case, I did give her the tools to find a good diamond. So what can I do? Down the road she might realize her mistake when the MMD market has become saturated and her stone has no value.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink,
Thank you for welcomming me.
Can you please share with me how can I add a hyper link in my signature
and how do I get "trade" label?:twisted2:

I would go to the report button near the middle of your post and turn yourself in to the moderators. They are actually pretty cool and will assist you in getting it.

Wink

P.S. Dear mods, I want brownie points for saying you are pretty cool! ;-)

M

MTHealthyLiving

Ain't no way I would wear a fake diamond. I don't mind wearing a well cut small diamond but no fakes for me. Ok, I'm a snob :tongue: :praise:

I’m with you!!
You can tell me lab created diamonds are real until you’re blue in the face, but if man had a hand in making it, it’s not the real thing. Just like cultured stone, and GMO food.
I’m a huge snob. Lol!

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would go to the report button near the middle of your post and turn yourself in to the moderators. They are actually pretty cool and will assist you in getting it.

Wink

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you wink, os was most helpfull
David

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see that in your signature. Which of you is posting, the handsome young man or the handsome guy with the dark glasses on?

Either way, welcome again and you are about to enter one of the friendliest discussion forums on the Internet.

Wink

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I see that in your signature. Which of you is posting, the handsome young man or the handsome guy with the dark glasses on?

Either way, welcome again and you are about to enter one of the friendliest discussion forums on the Internet.

Wink

Pretty sure the older gentleman with thirty some years of jewelry experience according to one of his posts

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Wink

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wink, thanks for the compliments. This is my youngest son (1/5)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never speak of CZ and Moissanites as comparable Crystals, CZ is good for linited time which after it scratches all over and looks like plastic.
Moissanites are forever just like diamonds ! they will never scratch but there is one difference between tham ad natural diamonds-they sparkle with brilliance MORE than diamonds!!

If this was in reference to my post, I agree they aren't the same; however, I think a large portion of the general public has no idea so they lump them together. Until a standard is determined and set, and then the public educated the confusion will continue.

Wink

Suck up! :whistle: :lol:

Ain't no way I would wear a fake diamond. I don't mind wearing a well cut small diamond but no fakes for me. Ok, I'm a snob :tongue: :praise:

My name is Sledge and I'm a butter snob....Land O' Lakes all the way baby! :lol:

Seriously I'm with you on the diamonds. I understand budget constraints, etc. come into play but at some point you just have to man up and bite the bullet.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
My name is Sledge and I'm a butter snob....Land O' Lakes all the way baby! :lol:

Oh no, no Land O' Lakes for this butter snob... Grass-fed Kerrygold at least or organic Amish butter for me!

In any case, regardless of higher refractive/dispersion stats under controlled lighting, I can't stand the way moissanites look in majority day to day lighting. I'm sure many who know understand what I'm talking about. Nothing beats diamond sparkle - no sphene, demantoid, zircon, etc., and I've experimented with them all for their "Lab" scores.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Oh no, no Land O' Lakes for this butter snob... Grass-fed Kerrygold at least or organic Amish butter for me!

In any case, regardless of higher refractive/dispersion stats under controlled lighting, I can't stand the way moissanites look in majority day to day lighting. I'm sure many who know understand what I'm talking about. Nothing beats diamond sparkle - no sphene, demantoid, zircon, etc., and I've experimented with them all for their "Lab" scores.

Tell me a bit about moissy... by naked eye, how do they appear different from diamonds?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Tell me a bit about moissy... by naked eye, how do they appear different from diamonds?

In most lighting, they lack the depth of diamonds and look more glassy and flat. Also, they have high dispersion with very rainbowish colored sparkles vs more white light return of diamonds - which is a dead giveaway without involving a closer look for double refraction. However, they sparkle very nicely under ideal lighting conditions and sometimes can be mistaken for diamonds at a glance for the majority people.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In most lighting, they lack the depth of diamonds and look more glassy and flat. Also, they have high dispersion with very rainbowish colored sparkles vs more white light return of diamonds - which is a dead giveaway without involving a closer look for double refraction. However, they sparkle very nicely under ideal lighting conditions and sometimes can be mistaken for diamonds at a glance for the majority people.

Based on some of the postings here, a good number of people mistake quartz for diamonds... :lol:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Based on some of the postings here, a good number of people mistake quartz for diamonds... :lol:
I've never come across a quartz jewelry that could be mistaken for a diamond. You'd have a better chance with well cut CZs.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results