shape
carat
color
clarity

Why would anyone choose heated sapphires over synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 12:41:24 PM
Author: coatimundi

I have been trying to find a rutile for the longest time. There were some great pieces in class--too bad I couldn''t keep just one!
39.gif
I''ve scoured the internet and grilled my instructors to no avail.

And, I share your passion for garnets. After learning about so many different gemstones, there is nothing that beats that group. Endlessly fascinating!
Sulk, I was kind of hoping that you were going to reveal the source of these beauties. I have hunted high and low and not found one. I''ll let you know if I find a supply!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2008 12:14:24 PM
Author: Pandora II
My reason for not buying synthetic stones other than for educational purposes is that the available range of colours is much more limited - laboratories produce the ''best'' colour that they can.

I like imperfection, I am VERY fussy about colour and heated sapphires can still tick the right boxes for me whereas the synthetics can''t.

Coati - I am so with you on the rutile, it''s just got something about it. Still trying to find one though...
15.gif

ETA: Fortunately, since my true passion is garnets I don''t have these issues - they haven''t made synthetics yet and they are all untreated (well for now anyway...)
9.gif
Except demantoids, which are heated.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i have not read all of the responses so if some one else offered something similiar i apologize. after reading your question and some of the replies my thought was not gem related but explains how i think some may view this question. many people wear makeup and or color their hair but they do not get plastic surgery. there just seems to be a point that they don't wish to deviate too much from nature or simply can't afford to. the totally natural stone may be cost prohiibitive and the plastic surgery may be cost prohibitive so they go somewhere in the middle. it gives them some of what they want at a price or situation they can live with. i hope this is not too out there and that you don't think me nuts. just my take on your situation.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's really strange are the gems that actually go up astronomically in value after treatment. Copper bearing tourmalines in a purple color are not as desired as windex neon blues. However, if you heat them and they end up turning ultra-windex neon blue, then they're worth much much more. Most of the paraiba tourmalines you see going for super high price tags are heated.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 4:57:37 PM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 12/11/2008 12:41:24 PM

Author: coatimundi

I have been trying to find a rutile for the longest time. There were some great pieces in class--too bad I couldn't keep just one!
39.gif
I've scoured the internet and grilled my instructors to no avail.

And, I share your passion for garnets. After learning about so many different gemstones, there is nothing that beats that group. Endlessly fascinating!

Sulk, I was kind of hoping that you were going to reveal the source of these beauties. I have hunted high and low and not found one. I'll let you know if I find a supply!

Thanks! I'll let you know if I find one too!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that''s a good comparison. If I see a woman with a knockout figure, I''m less impressed if I find out it is due to breast implants, nose job, etc than if it she came by it naturally. (But then again I think Pamela Anderson looked more beautiful when she was a brunette/pre boob job than she does now).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im kewl with lightly heated but would take a synthetic over a glass filled or flux healed or be treated natural.
I like em both real and synthetic and have uses for both :}

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 11:55:09 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What''s really strange are the gems that actually go up astronomically in value after treatment. Copper bearing tourmalines in a purple color are not as desired as windex neon blues. However, if you heat them and they end up turning ultra-windex neon blue, then they''re worth much much more. Most of the paraiba tourmalines you see going for super high price tags are heated.
Is the increase in value really that strange? Perhaps it reflects people''s colour preferences. Also, note that a purple cuprian may shatter during heating. That may be another factor in the increase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results