shape
carat
color
clarity

Why would anyone choose heated sapphires over synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jvLin

Rough_Rock
What are some reasons people choose heated sapphires over synthetics? Both have been tampered with by man, but synthetics are much cheaper, and often have better coloring. Unheated is on the other spectrum and is understandable, but why settle half-way?

It's almost like buying a VVS1 diamond. Why would you buy a VVS1 diamond when you can have a larger VS2 diamond that appears the same to the unaided eye? Some buy IF because they like perfection, and some buy VS2 because they can get a much larger diamond that appears the same. But to sacrifice carats for something that is imperfect and not detectable puzzles me.

Does anyone have comments? I can't decide whether or not a heated sapphire is worth buying and would like to hear opinions. Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because a synthetic sapphire is fake and a heat treated one is still a mined gem...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I would much rather choose a heat treated sapphire over a synthetic. Synthetics are manmade, and that's just not my thing. Sapphire is really the only gemstone that I can tolerate treatment. Just a personal preference for untreated gems.

Natural gems for me, thanks!

Heat treated sapphire may have been "tampered with" by man, but it's not manmade entirely like a synthetic. Then, there's the topic of heat treating with synthetic overgrowth, but I'm not going there.
9.gif

jvLin

Rough_Rock
But if that is the only difference, then why not buy beryllium-diffused or mined sapphires with many other treatments? Those are much cheaper than sapphires that are simply heated, yet still mined.

Is it the general practice that makes heating acceptable?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 7:09:27 PM
Author: jvLin
But if that is the only difference, then why not buy beryllium-diffused or mined sapphires with many other treatments? Those are much cheaper than sapphires that are simply heated, yet still mined.

I think so. Also, on other treatments the stone is essentially coated with a color. That to me is very different than the gentle heat treating that can bring out a gem''s color...

jess1981

Shiny_Rock
I would buy a synthetic sapphire. From my understanding they have the exact same physical properties as mined sapphires. Just like synthetic diamonds. except mined sapphires are way cheaper in comparison to the real thing.

I think people just like the idea of having the real thing that came from the earth.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d buy heated sapphires over synthetics for the same reason I buy a real diamond over a synthetic. I want a natural gemstone. Heat has been done for hundreds (or more?) years and is accepted because it is done on the vast majority of stones. I also would not buy a Be treated sapphire just as I would not buy a clarity enhanced diamond...too much treatment which really lowers the value of the stone. I''d buy a 3-4 carat untreated sapphire if I could afford it, but since I have other priorities in life, I''d more than likely buy one that has had heat. I''m such a perfectionist, though, that it is still hard for me to find one with an excellent cut and color at a reasonable price.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 7:09:27 PM

Yes, but with BE-diffused corundum, you have no idea what the stone's original color was. Calling a BE-diffused "red sapphire" is false, because the red is not natural.

I think lattice diffused or BE-diffused corundum shouldn't have a qualifying variety color. (labs don't notate a variety call for these treatments, but vendors do.)

i.e. Blue sapphire that has been lattice diffused should simply be called lattice diffused corundum.

But, if you want to buy a BE-diffused gem--knock yourself out. There's a gem out there for everyone, and I don't judge anyone's personal preference. I have a penchant for synthetic rutile--awesome stuff, really. (I would not wear a synthetic, but my gem box is growing, and it needs one example of everything)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A heated sapphire still has originated by Mother Earth, and is just heated to improve the color. It''s done to so many sapphires in the marketplace that it''s accepted as a treatment. Paraiba tourmaline is a very valuable gem, but much of it gets it''s color by heating purple copper bearing tourmaline. Most tanzanite comes out of the grown an murky brownish, but heating it makes it the beloved color that so many people die for.

Some people are gem purists though, and cannot stand the thought of any stone with a treatment (good luck finding an emerald then). Others will put up with a little treatment as long as the gem is natural. However synthetic stones are created solely by man, and they lose some of their mystique and rarity that way. I also do not care how synthetic gems look too perfect and crystalline. If you''ve ever seen a synthetic alexandrite, you''ll know what I''m talking about.

jvLin

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 7:29:18 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d buy heated sapphires over synthetics for the same reason I buy a real diamond over a synthetic. I want a natural gemstone. Heat has been done for hundreds (or more?) years and is accepted because it is done on the vast majority of stones. I also would not buy a Be treated sapphire just as I would not buy a clarity enhanced diamond...too much treatment which really lowers the value of the stone. I''d buy a 3-4 carat untreated sapphire if I could afford it, but since I have other priorities in life, I''d more than likely buy one that has had heat. I''m such a perfectionist, though, that it is still hard for me to find one with an excellent cut and color at a reasonable price.
Actually, I''ve heard that heat treatments date back over 2000 years.

Surprising, eh?
3.gif

jvLin

Rough_Rock
Quick question: Is it possible to mine a sapphire that looks identical to a heat-treated sapphire? Or, does the earth ever act like a furnace, heating up sapphires enough to remove some inclusions and improve color?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
You are asking the right questions. Educating yourself will enable you to make what is a fairly personal decision. I think many or even most folks agree that melting and recrystallizing a natural stone, or changing the color with foreign substances has gone way too far. Too close to synthetic for me. My own preference (only mined and polished by man) probably goes too far the other way for most folks
1.gif

Edit yes there are instances that evidence of heating cannot determined one way or the other, or where beryllium occurs naturally in the gem. A determination best left to a good lab.

Edit how many of the folks here would pick an HPHT diamond and save 30% over untreated?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have several synthetic rubies and sapphires that I picked up a local gem show recently for $2 each. They are gorgeous. Big, perfectly even color, and lots of sparkle. I''m trying to decide how much to spend on setting a $2 stone. Such perfection is just unattainable for me in a natural stone, so it is pretty obvious to me that these are fakes. It''s fun to wear big fakes at times. It''s even more fun to have the real thing.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I would buy a heated over a synthetic (and have - the ring my BF got for me for our anniversary is a heated sapphire cut by Richard Homer). For me, it''s a principle thing...I would MUCH rather have a stone that was formed naturally by the earth and mined, even if it got a little heat-help, than one that was created strictly by man. It might not be worth the extra cost to some who believe there isn''t a discernible difference between heated and synthetic, but there''s definitely a difference to me.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
For me it all comes down to money, heat treated is all I can afford.
We all want to buy the best we can afford and I am finally getting to a stage when I can buy a killer gem
30.gif
and I am not talking unheated stone but big sparkler.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go for heat treated over synthetic.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I would go for a heated than a synthetic. But I will wear a synthetic until I can get a real one!
19.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate natural gemstones but have nothing against synthetics, especially because nowdays some "naturals" are more treated than synthetics (well almost).

For those who suggest that synthetics are just fakes, here''s a few facts:

a) they are the same in every way i.e. they are the same material
b) they''re not easily distinguishable; if that were the case we wouldn''t need labs
c) they''re not created out of thin air, you actually need a seed to grow it, and a small natural (mined) crystal is used as a seed

You can also check out THIS website and scroll down to subtitle #3 to see just how rare and natural some treated stones are. I also bet not many ladies would turn down a fake from the end of THIS story (shown in the last one minute or so). There''s also the environemtnal aspect (no mile-deep mines needed) and ethical ones (no one will fund a war by trading cheap synthetics).

So, I guess it depends what you need the stone for. If you''re buying for yourself, a synthetic might be perfectly fine, if it''s for a gift or heirloom I''d get a natural.

jvLin

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 4:53:44 AM
Author: ma re
I appreciate natural gemstones but have nothing against synthetics, especially because nowdays some 'naturals' are more treated than synthetics (well almost).

For those who suggest that synthetics are just fakes, here's a few facts:

b) they're not easily distinguishable; if that were the case we wouldn't need labs
c) they're not created out of thin air, you actually need a seed to grow it, and a small natural (mined) crystal is used as a seed

You can also check out THIS website and scroll down to subtitle #3 to see just how rare and natural some treated stones are. I also bet not many ladies would turn down a fake from the end of THIS story (shown in the last one minute or so). There's also the environemtnal aspect (no mile-deep mines needed) and ethical ones (no one will fund a war by trading cheap synthetics).

So, I guess it depends what you need the stone for. If you're buying for yourself, a synthetic might be perfectly fine, if it's for a gift or heirloom I'd get a natural.

It worries me when you see articles without cited sources making claims on obscure topics while selling gems.

Heated gemstones are less durable? Yes, but only sometimes. Not all heated gems are less durable, only some that have certain inclusions that are enlarged during heating. But from the way the article words it, it sounds like all heated gems are brittle and will all chip. It is, in fact, quite uncommon for this to happen, and for him to attribute it to heated sapphires only, he'd need a comparison group to prove that regular, "natural" sapphires don't as often.

Risk to health? Never heard that one before. Technically, an allergic reaction to silver is a "risk to health." It's especially irking how he used a picture of a radiated tourmaline, suggestiong all radiation (and even radiated objects, in this case) is a highly causal source of detriment to health.

And then you see him say, "I sell the ones that don't chip and devalue and won't give you cancer," along with a link to his goods. Hah.

Anyways, I've run out of time to post more about that article.. I"ve gotta get going. :) Remember to check the validity of sources, everyone!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I own both natural and synthetic gems, and they each have their place in the market. Even with heat treatment, each natural sapphire is unique in it''s own way. Synthetics are all the same, uniform color, and usually horrible machine cut. I treat my natural ones as fine jewelry, and the synthetics as more "fun" or costume jewelry.

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
I personally have no preference. I can understand the beauty of a natural stone made in nature but my pocketbook can''t ;-)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:27:30 AM
Date: 12/11/2008 4:53:44 AM

I appreciate natural gemstones but have nothing against synthetics, especially because nowdays some ''naturals'' are more treated than synthetics (well almost).

For those who suggest that synthetics are just fakes, here''s a few facts:

b) they''re not easily distinguishable; if that were the case we wouldn''t need labs

c) they''re not created out of thin air, you actually need a seed to grow it, and a small natural (mined) crystal is used as a seed

You can also check out THIS website and scroll down to subtitle #3 to see just how rare and natural some treated stones are. I also bet not many ladies would turn down a fake from the end of THIS story (shown in the last one minute or so). There''s also the environemtnal aspect (no mile-deep mines needed) and ethical ones (no one will fund a war by trading cheap synthetics).

So, I guess it depends what you need the stone for. If you''re buying for yourself, a synthetic might be perfectly fine, if it''s for a gift or heirloom I''d get a natural.

It worries me when you see articles without cited sources making claims on obscure topics while selling gems.

Heated gemstones are less durable? Yes, but only sometimes. Not all heated gems are less durable, only some that have certain inclusions that are enlarged during heating. But from the way the article words it, it sounds like all heated gems are brittle and will all chip. It is, in fact, quite uncommon for this to happen, and for him to attribute it to heated sapphires only, he''d need a comparison group to prove that regular, ''natural'' sapphires don''t as often.

Risk to health? Never heard that one before. Technically, an allergic reaction to silver is a ''risk to health.'' It''s especially irking how he used a picture of a radiated tourmaline, suggestiong all radiation (and even radiated objects, in this case) is a highly causal source of detriment to health.

And then you see him say, ''I sell the ones that don''t chip and devalue and won''t give you cancer,'' along with a link to his goods. Hah.

Anyways, I''ve run out of time to post more about that article.. I''ve gotta get going. :) Remember to check the validity of sources, everyone!

Agreed. Even if some of his points are correct (and I don''t know if they are) I wouldn''t trust him as far as I could throw him.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:27:30 AM

Heated gemstones are less durable? Yes, but only sometimes. Not all heated gems are less durable, only some that have certain inclusions that are enlarged during heating. But from the way the article words it, it sounds like all heated gems are brittle and will all chip. It is, in fact, quite uncommon for this to happen, and for him to attribute it to heated sapphires only, he''d need a comparison group to prove that regular, ''natural'' sapphires don''t as often.

Risk to health? Never heard that one before. Technically, an allergic reaction to silver is a ''risk to health.'' It''s especially irking how he used a picture of a radiated tourmaline, suggestiong all radiation (and even radiated objects, in this case) is a highly causal source of detriment to health.

And then you see him say, ''I sell the ones that don''t chip and devalue and won''t give you cancer,'' along with a link to his goods. Hah.

Anyways, I''ve run out of time to post more about that article.. I''ve gotta get going. :) Remember to check the validity of sources, everyone!

I was mostly refering to the part which shows what some treated sapphires are made out of. Same goes for many other varieties where chemistry turns pebbles into jewels.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Fake is fake, and I just don''t do fake.

jvLin

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 11:18:17 AM

I was mostly refering to the part which shows what some treated sapphires are made out of. Same goes for many other varieties where chemistry turns pebbles into jewels.
Oh, yeah, I know. Thanks for that!

I just saw his article afterwards and was a little overwhelmed by all that biased information, hehh.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My reason for not buying synthetic stones other than for educational purposes is that the available range of colours is much more limited - laboratories produce the 'best' colour that they can.

I like imperfection, I am VERY fussy about colour and heated sapphires can still tick the right boxes for me whereas the synthetics can't.

Coati - I am so with you on the rutile, it's just got something about it. Still trying to find one though...
15.gif

ETA: Fortunately, since my true passion is garnets I don't have these issues - they haven't made synthetics yet and they are all untreated (well for now anyway...)
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 11:08:35 AM
Author: MustangGal
I own both natural and synthetic gems, and they each have their place in the market. Even with heat treatment, each natural sapphire is unique in it''s own way. Synthetics are all the same, uniform color, and usually horrible machine cut. I treat my natural ones as fine jewelry, and the synthetics as more ''fun'' or costume jewelry.
Ah, great. So when I buy a stone, instead of sending it to the lab I''ll send it to you and save some money. You won''t have problem identifying what it is, since synthetics are "all the same"
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 12:14:24 PM
Author: Pandora II
My reason for not buying synthetic stones other than for educational purposes is that the available range of colours is much more limited - laboratories produce the 'best' colour that they can.

I like imperfection, I am VERY fussy about colour and heated sapphires can still tick the right boxes for me whereas the synthetics can't.

Coati - I am so with you on the rutile, it's just got something about it. Still trying to find one though...
15.gif

ETA: Fortunately, since my true passion is garnets I don't have these issues - they haven't made synthetics yet and they are all untreated (well for now anyway...)
9.gif

I have been trying to find a rutile for the longest time. There were some great pieces in class--too bad I couldn't keep just one!
39.gif
I've scoured the internet and grilled my instructors to no avail.

And, I share your passion for garnets. After learning about so many different gemstones, there is nothing that beats that group. Endlessly fascinating!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I buy a gem, one of the factors is rarity, which synthetics lack. As for heat, we''re talking about a low temperature, which may even occur naturally. I know of a Tanzanite that is naturally blue because it grew near a heat source.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 12:31:55 PM

Date: 12/11/2008 11:08:35 AM
Author: MustangGal
I own both natural and synthetic gems, and they each have their place in the market. Even with heat treatment, each natural sapphire is unique in it''s own way. Synthetics are all the same, uniform color, and usually horrible machine cut. I treat my natural ones as fine jewelry, and the synthetics as more ''fun'' or costume jewelry.
Ah, great. So when I buy a stone, instead of sending it to the lab I''ll send it to you and save some money. You won''t have problem identifying what it is, since synthetics are ''all the same''
2.gif
Like what was mentioned by another poster, synthetics are generally made in the "best" color, such as vibrant blues and pinks (for sapphire) or red (for rubies). You don''t often see synthetics in the more unusual or unique colors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results