shape
carat
color
clarity

Why this diamond has a hole?

miaK

Rough_Rock
Hi! I’m wondering why this has hole? Thinking of making it a ring or a pendant as I also have smaller loose stones. Which is better? As it has this holeHmm.. 66005213-22A4-4B2D-B2A8-7B8661A0E83C.jpeg F81F0932-0EAA-488F-BE36-4797A917B74F.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its highly unlikely its a diamond have you had it looked at by a professional in person?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I confess I wasn’t expecting a literal hole :lol:

Where did you acquire this specimen? Some vendors are drilling diamonds, but it’s definitely an uncommon practice...

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Is it a diamond? They can be „pierced“ but this hole kind of looks uneven? Have it tested!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As above, my guess is that its not a natural diamond

miaK

Rough_Rock
Its highly unlikely its a diamond have you had it looked at by a professional in person?

No, not yet.:lol-2: But will be doing that, as I tried to get opinions first regarding the stone. It’s my first time to see it:lol-2: thanks

miaK

Rough_Rock

Where did you acquire this specimen? Some vendors are drilling diamonds, but it’s definitely an uncommon practice...

Hahaha,:lol: my mom purchased it from a person as I remember.

miaK

Rough_Rock
Is it a diamond? They can be „pierced“ but this hole kind of looks uneven? Have it tested!

The hole is uneven, it’s bigger on the top:(2 but will have it tested, thank you:twirl:

miaK

Rough_Rock
As above, my guess is that its not a natural diamond

Thank you. I really don’t have an idea as it’s only handed to me:lol-2:

miaK

Rough_Rock
I’ll be having it test as I doubt the authenticity now:lol: thank you everyone:cool2:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Put it facedown on a newspaper. Can you read through it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many diamonds have black spots that GIA calls clouds, as in those "salt and pepper" diamonds.
Some clouds are barely visible, others are jet black.

And if it was an actual hole (as if it was drilled right through) wouldn't the camera look through the hole and see the red cloth beneath, instead of solid black?

So, perhaps it's what GIA calls a cloud, inside the diamond.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was/is a trend/ fashion for “floating” gemstones on a chain. The gemstone itself is laser drilled through so a loop can be attached.
I’ve seen advertisements for these “diamond drops“ necklaces / earrings. I think even Lightbox did some of this style a while back.
obviously drilling the hole renders the gemstone value to $?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha when I read the first post I thought she was talking about a culet. Guess not. :lol:

I’ll be having it test as I doubt the authenticity now:lol: thank you everyone:cool2:

Sorry it isn't what you hoped it would be @miaK and I hope the test brings you clarity.
Pun not intended.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There was/is a trend/ fashion for “floating” gemstones on a chain. The gemstone itself is laser drilled through so a loop can be attached.
I’ve seen advertisements for these “diamond drops“ necklaces / earrings. I think even Lightbox did some of this style a while back.
obviously drilling the hole renders the gemstone value to $?

This is exactly what I suspect.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Same here.
I thought it was obstruction

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I would bet money its a lightbox pierced pendant. It would be a lab diamond.

Do you have a loupe to read the inscription? If not you should be able to bring it to a jeweler to read.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results