shape
carat
color
clarity

Why the huge price difference between these 2 diamonds?

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
I'm still looking for a diamond and I found these two diamonds: one from Adiamor and one from Whiteflash and the price difference is huge. Why? And what are your thoughts in comparing these two diamonds?

link for the GCAL 8X report for the adiamor diamond:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to let the experts chime in here but, as someone who just enjoys collecting jewelry and has acquired purchased a few lab diamonds in recent years, I have noticed the following:

1. Signature/branded cuts are always more expensive. White Flash, DG, Brain Gavin, etc. lab diamonds are all priced higher than the diamonds you'll find on the various retail sites because they offer premium cuts (optimal performance, light return, specialty cuts etc.) and you're essentially purchasing that along with the services they offer (vetting the material for quality, top-not customer service, etc.)
2. With the influx of lab diamonds on the market I've noted recently that higher color and clarity (especially with respect to certain cuts like ovals) are also going for a premium. I'm not sure if it's because now so many people offer labs, and the lower colors/quality are easier to make so the higher ones are more scare and sell for a higher cost? Perhaps the experts can chime in.

It all depends on what you're looking for. For example, I wanted a pair of small sparkly white studs which I purchased from Ritani. I wasn't particularly looking for certain angles or wanting a signature cut so I just purchased standard retail and my studs didn't disappoint- they are super sparkly and perfect for what I'm looking for . I also purchased some unique and/or higher color/clarity cut lab diamonds (rose cut, antique oval, etc.). Since, in this case, I was looking for a particular cut and certain performance, I paid a premium for these in terms of $/ct.

If you're not fixed on a certain brand, I'm sure the experts here can help you find a stunner, as they so graciously do. Following this thread as I'm interested to hear the communities thoughts on this!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones look similarly very well cut. I imagine Whiteflash's pricing is due to the fact that they vet their precision lab diamonds carefully and provide sparkle/brilliance videos and light return images. The price difference is so huge, though, that the Adiamor stone would be the better choice IMO and just as beautiful.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also found two other options for you under $12K. I can post them when you're online and ready to put them on hold.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
Both stones look similarly very well cut. I imagine Whiteflash's pricing is due to the fact that they vet their precision lab diamonds carefully and provide sparkle/brilliance videos and light return images. The price difference is so huge, though, that the Adiamor stone would be the better choice IMO and just as beautiful.

But the Adiamor diamond has a GCAL 8X report therefore these two stones are equal in terms of sparkle/brilliance videos and light return images.

They are both E color and the cheaper diamond (adiamor) has a higher clarity rating: VVS2 vs VS1

The Adiamor diamond report says it is a CVD diamond but I cannot determine which growth method was used for the Whiteflash diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found this one for just under $11k - HPHT GIA graded 5ct E VS1 with a magical PA/CA/TW combo

Screenshot_20231216-190914-888.png

Screenshot_20231216-190959-176.png

Screenshot_20231216-191014-610.png

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
Found this one for just under $11k - HPHT GIA graded 5ct E VS1 with a magical PA/CA/TW combo

Screenshot_20231216-190914-888.png

Screenshot_20231216-190959-176.png

Screenshot_20231216-191014-610.png

@DejaWiz can you privately send me the link for that one? Also, can you expand a bit on what you mean by "magical PA/CA/TW combo"

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But the Adiamor diamond has a GCAL 8X report therefore these two stones are equal in terms of sparkle/brilliance videos and light return images.

They are both E color and the cheaper diamond (adiamor) has a higher clarity rating: VVS2 vs VS1

The Adiamor diamond report says it is a CVD diamond but I cannot determine which growth method was used for the Whiteflash diamond.

The Whiteflash diamond is an HPHT.

The two I found are E VVS2 and E VS1 HPHT with H&A designation.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
The Whiteflash diamond is an HPHT.

The two I found are E VVS2 and E VS1 HPHT with H&A designation.

Can you send the links to these 2 diamonds?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you send the links to these 2 diamonds?

Here you go!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz can you privately send me the link for that one? Also, can you expand a bit on what you mean by "magical PA/CA/TW combo"

No PM/DM function here at PS.
By "magical", I mean the 40.6/35 pairing with a smaller table for a taller crown height and getting towards more fiery proportions.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Really loving that 5.15 E VS1 that Kim N found - great price per carat!

Here's the GIA graded diamond:

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
Here you go!

Thanks @Kim N do you know if these diamonds have ASET and IS photos?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Kim N do you know if these diamonds have ASET and IS photos?

They likely will not - you'll need to assess on your own, which is the trade-off by shopping with these low price leader sellers.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
I am not familiar with loosegrowndiamond.com. Are they a retailer?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am not familiar with loosegrowndiamond.com. Are they a retailer?

Yes...many folks have purchased from them and the results appear to be quite positive.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
They likely will not - you'll need to assess on your own, which is the trade-off by shopping with these low price leader sellers.

I really apologize for my ignorance. What do you mean by "low price leader sellers"

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I really apologize for my ignorance. What do you mean by "low price leader sellers"

LooseGrownDiamond, DreamStone, RockHer, Adiamor, B2C Jewels, Ritani, etc: they all probably operate with pretty low overhead, they all pull from the same virtual inventory feeds, and they all have pricing that is significantly lower than the larger retailers such as James Allen.
If you find a diamond that you really love at one of these sellers, then chances are the other sellers either have it listed or can get it...you can even request a price match if there is a certain seller that you'd prefer to purchase from.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Example...the 5.15 that Kim posted, listed at multiple sites with varying listed prices (you better place itmin hold at Adiamor or just buy it ASAP...it's not likely to hang around long now that it's been posted for all the anonymous lurkers to see):

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
After having read so much about the importance of the cut and confirming the "numbers" by visually checking the light performance tests, i.e. ASET, IC, or GCAL 8x I am uncomfortable putting money down on a diamond that doesn't have light performance photos/videos to prove that the diamond does actually perform the way the numbers say it should as well as a hearts and arrows photo showing the symmetry of the H&A. I read through a thread on pricescope showing a diamond with perfect numbers but the symmetry was poor resulting in light leakage.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After having read so much about the importance of the cut and confirming the "numbers" by visually checking the light performance tests, i.e. ASET, IC, or GCAL 8x I am uncomfortable putting money down on a diamond that doesn't have light performance photos/videos to prove that the diamond does actually perform the way the numbers say it should as well as a hearts and arrows photo showing the symmetry of the H&A. I read through a thread on pricescope showing a diamond with perfect numbers but the symmetry was poor resulting in light leakage.

The symmetry issues like what you're mentioning would be easily visible in the photos/videos. Plus you'd be protected by a return policy.

However...
Go to Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem...his new Steal of The Day program is perfect for you: he'll find some options, you work with him to finalize a selection, he brings it in, runs full vetting and assessing, and if it passes great, if not then it goes back and another is brought in until perfection is achieved.
It's a win-win.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The symmetry issues like what you're mentioning would be easily visible in the photos/videos. Plus you'd be protected by a return policy.

However...
Go to Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem...his new Steal of The Day program is perfect for you: he'll find some options, you work with him to finalize a selection, he brings it in, runs full vetting and assessing, and if it passes great, if not then it goes back and another is brought in until perfection is achieved.
It's a win-win.

I agree completely on contacting Jon. You'll be completely assured of getting a stellar-performing diamond after he does his analysis.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased studs from Jon @Rhino earlier this year. They came with Sarin reports and ASET images and numbers galore. I felt 100% sure that the stones were great. Now as time has passed and my novice eyes have seen more diamonds IRL, I can attest that Jon sold me wonderful stones.

I know people say we should just use our eyes. But the reports and images are a great help while our inexperienced and u trained eyes come up to speed. Can’t recommend his services highly enough!

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock

However...
It's a win-win.

I just looked over Jon's @Rhino website and his Private Reserve diamonds appear to be more expensive than the Whiteflash Precision Lab diamond referenced above. Example:

That works out to:

Adiamor GCAL 8X: 5.08, E, VVS2: $2,211.42 / ct

Whiteflash Precision, IGI: 5.02ct, E, VS1: $4,825.90 / ct

Distinctive Gem Reserve, GIA/AGS: 4.51ct, E, VS2: $8,392.46 / ct

What gives? I don't understand these huge differences in price - and the cheapest one has the highest clarity rating! All 3 of those diamonds have ASET images, videos, etc.

I'm editing this to add that this all leaves one feeling very uncomfortable when you're searching for a diamond, really doing your due diligence, searching for the best diamond at a fair price. With price differences that large for what appear (at least to me) to be fairly comparable diamonds how can one possibly know if they are getting a top tier quality diamond at a FAIR price??!!!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I just looked over Jon's @Rhino website and his Private Reserve diamonds appear to be more expensive than the Whiteflash Precision Lab diamond referenced above. Example:

That works out to:

Adiamor GCAL 8X: 5.08, E, VVS2: $2,211.42 / ct

Whiteflash Precision, IGI: 5.02ct, E, VS1: $4,825.90 / ct

Distinctive Gem Reserve, GIA/AGS: 4.51ct, E, VS2: $8,392.46 / ct

What gives? I don't understand these huge differences in price - and the cheapest one has the highest clarity rating! All 3 of those diamonds have ASET images, videos, etc.

I'm editing this to add that this all leaves one feeling very uncomfortable when you're searching for a diamond, really doing your due diligence, searching for the best diamond at a fair price. With price differences that large for what appear (at least to me) to be fairly comparable diamonds how can one possibly know if they are getting a top tier quality diamond at a FAIR price??!!!!

You need to contact Jon and ask about his Steal of The Day options, which are separate from his branded Private Reserve lineup.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
You need to contact Jon and ask about his Steal of The Day options, which are separate from his branded Private Reserve lineup.

Ok, I will

I did look through what he has on the website for Deal of the Day and there doesn't appear to be anything similar to what I'm looking for but I will contact him directly.

But that still doesn't address my questions and concerns about the huge differences in pricing.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I will

I did look through what he has on the website for Deal of the Day and there doesn't appear to be anything similar to what I'm looking for but I will contact him directly.

But that still doesn't address my questions and concerns about the huge differences in pricing.

The LGD market is still new and in flux. Sellers haven't yet settled on pricing and business models. There are differences in the quality of the diamond material, the cut, and the marketing and customer service. There are lots of details involved and not many customers understand them yet, so most people can't do apples-to-apples comparisons, which means sellers aren't competing simply on price.

If I personally were buying a lab MRB in the current market with my hard-earned money, I would pick something Deja and Kim spotted and recommended from one of the lower-priced sellers. Those are often the exact same diamonds being offered for much more money from higher-priced sellers with a different business model.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond pricing - mined or lab - is just shy of arbitrary. A visit to a big city diamond district will make that clear IRL.

Branded stones command a higher price, as mentioned by @Kim N. Other online vendors are just hoping their advertising campaigns and name recognition will hook you. For example, Tiffany stones and settings are not seen as anything special, yet people pay quite a premium for both.

Also lab pricing has been in a steep decline for the past 5 years. A 2016 PS thread discusses a 1.65ct F SI2 for $6500. Some sites won't even list SI2's anymore, and a comparable SI1 will go to $500-600.

Here's another post from 2020 talking about a 4.51 E VS2 for $38k. You can pick up a comparable stone from loosegrowndiamonds.com for $3-4k now.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-big-purchase.253996/#post-4663159

In the earlier days, I wonder if vendors were pricing according to mined prices. Now they have to price according to the LGD market. Lightbox shattered everything with their $800/ct flat rate.

With the help of the experts here, you will be able to avoid graining, tint, twist, painting and digging and all other manner of pitfalls. However, sometimes people like to pay a premium for a brand. Many here (myself included) will gladly pay higher for a Jann Paul stone. That vendor has the data to back up the higher quality cut of their stones. Brian Gavin also provides extensive imaging. I don't believe Tiffany has ASET images or high res videos. Some online vendors will provide ASET on request, many won't.

I hope this was helpful. It's like mattress shopping but 100x worse! :lol:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results