shape
carat
color
clarity

Why the huge price difference between these 2 diamonds?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I will

I did look through what he has on the website for Deal of the Day and there doesn't appear to be anything similar to what I'm looking for but I will contact him directly.

But that still doesn't address my questions and concerns about the huge differences in pricing.

Pricing differences are all over the spectrum:
Material quality
Cut precision
Grower cost
Cutter cost
Grading cost
Distributor/supplier cost
Jewler overhead
...and on and on and on.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just looked over Jon's @Rhino website and his Private Reserve diamonds appear to be more expensive than the Whiteflash Precision Lab diamond referenced above. Example:

That works out to:

Adiamor GCAL 8X: 5.08, E, VVS2: $2,211.42 / ct

Whiteflash Precision, IGI: 5.02ct, E, VS1: $4,825.90 / ct

Distinctive Gem Reserve, GIA/AGS: 4.51ct, E, VS2: $8,392.46 / ct

What gives? I don't understand these huge differences in price - and the cheapest one has the highest clarity rating! All 3 of those diamonds have ASET images, videos, etc.

I'm editing this to add that this all leaves one feeling very uncomfortable when you're searching for a diamond, really doing your due diligence, searching for the best diamond at a fair price. With price differences that large for what appear (at least to me) to be fairly comparable diamonds how can one possibly know if they are getting a top tier quality diamond at a FAIR price??!!!!

Hehe yes ... apologies @toadallyfoxy as I have some older listings on there from the past that need to be taken down. Once contacted I'm always current, price match, vet at the same or less. you'd walk in with both eyes wide open.

Jon

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
toadallyfoxy if you want GIA, then ask Rhino about that 5.02 that I posted - and ask about that gorgeous 5.15 that Kim N posted... if he can get either and price match, you'll also get the peace of mind of a full assessment with advanced images.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Found this one for just under $11k - HPHT GIA graded 5ct E VS1 with a magical PA/CA/TW combo

Screenshot_20231216-190914-888.png

Screenshot_20231216-190959-176.png

Screenshot_20231216-191014-610.png

Gosh that’s a real stunner. What dreams are made of.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm still looking for a diamond and I found these two diamonds: one from Adiamor and one from Whiteflash and the price difference is huge. Why? And what are your thoughts in comparing these two diamonds?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Toadally legit question! :)

Per forum rules for tradespeople I can only address the general question.

The lab grown market is wild and wholly, and it can be hard for a shopper to get comfortable with value. If it makes you feel any better, it is a source of consternation for those of us in the trade as well!

It's a rapidly evolving market with a lot of producers and a lot of production. Many producers are new to the industry with differing levels of expertise and commitment to the product, as well as different business models and strategies. The market for natural diamonds is well established with comparatively few sources of the raw material, and is self limiting by the different sizes and qualities that happen to come out of the ground.

There are some variables that do not necessarily show on a gemological report, and different growth methods with their own cost structure and potential issues. Careful vetting is just as important in lab diamonds as in natural, though the economic consequences for consumers are significantly lower for labs, when compared against the same size and quality of natural diamonds.

Different merchants also provide differing levels of added value including gemological services, design options, and customer care.

Last edited:

sunshineandlemons

Shiny_Rock
Hehe yes ... apologies @toadallyfoxy as I have some older listings on there from the past that need to be taken down. Once contacted I'm always current, price match, vet at the same or less. you'd walk in with both eyes wide open.

Jon

As a busy and discerning consumer who likes to shop and plan/budget for my next purchase, I want to see current/actual pricing when I am looking at items on-line. @Rockdiamond has also stated that their current advertised lab pricing can be adjusted by asking. I look at many items and compare - and do not want to have to ask about every price. It's the reason I won't buy items listed as "dm me for pricing" - it feels like a marketing ploy and pricing will depend on something arbitrary depending on the day. Please consider adjusting your on-line pricing to reflect current actuals - I would bet that it will improve your sales. I am more than willing to pay for specialty cuts and vetting expertise but am looking for transparent pricing and don't want to feel like I have to "bargain". Thank you for all of your expertise and being willing to consider!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@toadallyfoxy are you still actively searching? We hear your frustrations about price transparency and are here to help. If you post your parameters we can help search. We can even help you price compare across websites so you’re in the know.

You seemed to be in the E 5+ct VS range. Is there a budget cap? Is eyeclean enough? Is this meant as a ring or pendant? We’re here to help.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please consider adjusting your on-line pricing to reflect current actuals

Great post with very important points. "DM me for price" does indeed sound like a seedy guy in a back alley with 10 imitation Rolex's on his wrist. I'm sure that in some cases, the request is sadly based on shady advertising/business practices.
But not always.

The other side to this, speaking as an internet merchant....
The vast majority of sites are populated using a feed. A compilation of thousands of diamonds.
The seller never actually touches the diamond till it's sold. Sometimes not even then.
These sorts of systems allow global changes in price, details, etc.
Of course, it also means the pics/descriptions are based on an AI sort of methodology.
Websites that feature particular diamonds, that are in their possession, are offering a much different sort of service, for sure.
I can't speak for others, but in the case of our site, we need to change each price individually. Sometimes it's not possible to keep up, particularly in the case of lab diamonds, and the state of this rapidly developing market.

I would advise anyone buying a lab grown diamond to reach out to the merchant to see if they are getting the most current pricing.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Rockdiamond, on here many PSers have been comparing between several sites and then calling one of the sites for a price match. But we’ve never directed them to you or @Rhino bc neither vendor lists those stones are part of their inventory.

Are you saying we could also have them call Diamonds By Lauren for a possible price match? I don’t even know I’m allowed to ask these questions. But as a PS participant, we “know” you better than these anonymous websites.

And apologies if I’ve hijacked OP’s thread. I’m just wanting clarity on how to get a straightforward price from a reputable vendor with all the data at our fingertips.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you saying we could also have them call Diamonds By Lauren for a possible price match? I don’t even know I’m allowed to ask these questions. But as a PS participant, we “know” you better than these anonymous websites.

I'll answer in a general sense - self promotion isn't allowed here- and I think that's a great rule.
I think all the participating merchants would be thrilled for any PS member to reach out to them.
I get a lot of enjoyment from participating here. So many cool people, a marketplace of differing viewpoints. Respectful ( in general)
It's a huge benefit if people get to "know" someone because they participate here.....especially in these fast moving times where getting a human on the phone seems impossible ( got a question? Ask our "virtual assistant"...or if they can't help, ask a group of users who we're not paying, and they're not experts but at least we don;t have to hire humans for customer service)

Anyway, I can't count the number of times someone from PS has called and we sit and BS for a while.
All in good fun and good faith!!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results