shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is James Allen is hiding/deleting GIA Certificate numbers?

Is it okay to buy a diamond without the GIA number?

• Yes

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 64 81.0%

• Total voters

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have no problem with JA not sharing the reports/report numbers IF they shared the proportions from the report - depth, table, angles, etc. that way you could still run rounds through the HCA and whatnot.

ETA: also the inclusion chart. I was looking at a diamond the other day where I couldn’t tell if it was one inclusion reflecting or multiple inclusions - and since I was not seriously shopping and think they limit how many things you can ask them to send you, didn’t ask for the report and thus had no way of knowing.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karina Tarkjhanian

I don't really understand or agree with the approach that JA has taken concerning the certs. From what I've gathered they will provide them by request but you must contact them to make that happen.

Personally I think it's an essential part of the buying process. And since the bulk of their inventory is virtual and available via other retailers, they have no unique product to offer so "protecting their price" is laughable at best.

I can't speak to the technical merits of the RC staff but I like to use them as a search tool for those that aren't interested in using a H&A vendor. I personally believe we can guide you to a more detailed analysis and human perspective that isn't biased on making a sale or profit.

Sorry for your loss. There is emotional energy in losing a sentimental piece and we can't replace that but we can find a sparkly replacement diamond for you.

That said, what kind of a budget and criteria do we have to work with so insurance will pay up?

While cut is the most important and difficult aspect to understand, it's generally not well insured. What I mean by that is your policy probably states you are insured up to $X for X color, X clarity and X carat weight. If GIA certified it probably even says triple X certified assuming all GIA's "cut" metrics were indeed excellent. Herein lies the rub. What GIA defines as excellent is a very broad net, and is rarely all that excellent. That is where we can analyze the metrics of the stone for an ideal cut. Things like table size, depth, crown and pavilion angles help point us in the right way. Getting advanced images like ASET, idealscope and H&A help us confirm the light performance and symmetry aspect of the stone in question.

Also, do you know if your policy has a guaranteed cash value, or more standard where it has a max replacement value for an "equal" stone?
Sledge, and all, did you notice that we now have regained all the listings of James Allen on PriceScope, including images when they are available.
All the stones have HCA and HCA LL results available.
Yes, the cert numbers are not there to stop Rare Carat and others using the information to redirect sales to lazy sneaky cheapskates and bait and switchers. But does anyone seriously think JA would cheat and switch certs and stones?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karina Tarkjhanian just find the stone here on Pricescope and you will get free HCA score and how big the stone looks for it's carat weight like this one:
upload_2019-8-13_12-6-12.png
Click the Coloured HCA score and you will get results like this:
upload_2019-8-13_12-7-52.png
Click anywhere alse and it will take you to JA's site and you can check the Hearts photos and the ideal-scope for arrows symmetry plus leakage etc.
Post the info on this forum and get free and expert help from all here.
But keep it on hold because if it is a keeper someone else may jump in and buy it.

Then if you want further gemo info call, get a copy of the cert and send it here and there and please rest assured, JA will not swap the stone. I promise.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry - thanks for the info, I rarely use PS search so I had not noticed that.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask why you do not use the search Distracts?

Because I spend most of my time in the colored stones forum and generally chime in over in RT about settings and fancy shapes! I have not personally bought any diamonds, preferring colored stones. I think several years ago when I helped out more with diamonds I used the search more (I took a break from PS to save up money for some bigger colored stone purchases... so you can guess why I'm back :twisted:), but I most enjoy helping out with fancies and it's easiest with those to go straight to the vendors who have videos up.

And when I assisted my brother buying a diamond engagement ring, we went straight to the vendors based on what we thought the requirements were: first looked at Diamonds by Lauren when we thought his fiancee wanted a pink diamond (it turns out she didn't, even though all her inspiration pictures were pink diamonds) and then went straight to looking at GOG and Whiteflash since we had narrowed it down to an ideal round in a Vatche setting and knew those stores carried Vatche, and he chose GOG based solely on the fact that they answered the phone when he was ready to buy.

But the main reason is just that the parts of PS and stone searching I enjoy most either are colored stones and not on the search, or fancy shapes and harder to narrow down with the search because so many of the results are diamonds without video.

I suspect I'm an unusual user in that regard!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results