shape
carat
color
clarity

Why I love and hate PS: Sea of Cortez Mabe Pearls

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really happy to report that this project is moving forward! They got more mabes and took pictures of them for me and I definitely fell head over heels for a bunch of them :)

Also I will be able to work with their local jeweler on the project, which should make everything much easier vs finding someone in the US to set the pearls. This is the jeweler who sets stuff for them all of the time and they are in regular communication with him, so I feel comfortable with that.

I am waiting for specific layout options and Fernando is speaking with the jeweler to get pricing info for the necklace. Likely won't be completed until April as the jeweler is apparently very busy, but I'd rather wait and have it done 100% right vs risk someone who doesn't know these beautiful pearls messing something up.

Sharing my inspiration necklace and my hilarious attempt at using "paint 3D" to show Fernando what I'd like my necklace to look like. I want to be able to wear it regularly, and I know the mabes I'm considering are larger than the ones shown, so I plan to have somewhere between 7 and 12 pearls vs the 25+ shown on the inspiration necklace.

The inspiration necklace has mabes in the 9-10mm range if I remember correctly, whereas the ones I like are around 13-15mm.

Kojima Pearl SOC Necklace.jpg

My hilarious attempt to show what I want. Luckily it got the message across :)
photoshop.png

Wanted to share updates with the PS community since I am very excited!

I'll share pearl layouts once I get them and have confirmed/paid for the specific pearls. I just have a persistent fear of lurkers, so don't want to share anything yet since they still aren't "mine".

I like yours better! It’s going to be gorgeous. White or yellow gold?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like yours better! It’s going to be gorgeous. White or yellow gold?

Prob yellow gold for the chain in between the "stations " because the "scalloped" part of the bezel will also be yellow gold

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this going to be gorgeous!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Really happy to report that this project is moving forward! They got more mabes and took pictures of them for me and I definitely fell head over heels for a bunch of them :)

Also I will be able to work with their local jeweler on the project, which should make everything much easier vs finding someone in the US to set the pearls. This is the jeweler who sets stuff for them all of the time and they are in regular communication with him, so I feel comfortable with that.

I am waiting for specific layout options and Fernando is speaking with the jeweler to get pricing info for the necklace. Likely won't be completed until April as the jeweler is apparently very busy, but I'd rather wait and have it done 100% right vs risk someone who doesn't know these beautiful pearls messing something up.

Sharing my inspiration necklace and my hilarious attempt at using "paint 3D" to show Fernando what I'd like my necklace to look like. I want to be able to wear it regularly, and I know the mabes I'm considering are larger than the ones shown, so I plan to have somewhere between 7 and 12 pearls vs the 25+ shown on the inspiration necklace.

The inspiration necklace has mabes in the 9-10mm range if I remember correctly, whereas the ones I like are around 13-15mm.

Kojima Pearl SOC Necklace.jpg

My hilarious attempt to show what I want. Luckily it got the message across :)
photoshop.png

Wanted to share updates with the PS community since I am very excited!

I'll share pearl layouts once I get them and have confirmed/paid for the specific pearls. I just have a persistent fear of lurkers, so don't want to share anything yet since they still aren't "mine".

Omg this is SO exciting! I will be watching with interest. I have been wanting a single large mabe for a pendant, so may peruse your leftovers when you are done! I haven’t seen them post any new ones...have they just shown you in email?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg this is SO exciting! I will be watching with interest. I have been wanting a single large mabe for a pendant, so may peruse your leftovers when you are done! I haven’t seen them post any new ones...have they just shown you in email?

Yes, just in email.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving this project @lovedogs!! But you already know that :bigsmile: Mabes were made to be stations - and I like them spread apart like you’re planning a lot more than the original. Gives you a chance to appreciate each individual one, and makes the whole piece more casual. How long do you want it? And what size and style are you thinking for the chain?

The only thing I'll mention - to be honest I don't know if I even should, but... In the interests of full disclosure... The farm's workmanship seems to be generally adequate but it's not going to impress anyone, especially PSers who might be used to working with excellent benches! Their pricing is very low, though, and the quality of findings they use is decent, if you don't mind a somewhat imperfect "rustic" look.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

le sigh. No....this project has definitely taught me the importance of patience. F let me know he was waiting for the local jeweler to give a quote for the setting/work, etc, but that he's a 1 man operation who is swamped with stuff until like April. But we can't really move forward meaningfully without a price quote haha. So it's a waiting game for now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
le sigh. No....this project has definitely taught me the importance of patience. F let me know he was waiting for the local jeweler to give a quote for the setting/work, etc, but that he's a 1 man operation who is swamped with stuff until like April. But we can't really move forward meaningfully without a price quote haha. So it's a waiting game for now.

:cry::ugeek::halo::twisted2:;(8-)
Some mix of ^^...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, 8 months and we are FINALLY moving ahead on this project!

@yssie @Cerulean and others who have an eye for pearls, I am deciding between these 2 sets of 7 pearls. 5 of the 7 are the same in both options, but 2 are different (and the overall "order" is different).

I'm really torn and honestly love them both!

mabes.jpg , Original 7 (2).jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well, 8 months and we are FINALLY moving ahead on this project!

@yssie @Cerulean and others who have an eye for pearls, I am deciding between these 2 sets of 7 pearls. 5 of the 7 are the same in both options, but 2 are different (and the overall "order" is different).

I'm really torn and honestly love them both!

mabes.jpg , Original 7 (2).jpg

OH EM GEE!!!!! It’s happening!!!!!

Tough call. Both sets are stunning. That center pearl is to die for, glad to see she made it in both!

I’ll ask - what colors to you find yourself drawn to more, maybe not just between these pearls but IRL? The first set shows much more purple, whereas the second set more green.

Compositionally, I like the first set slightly more. I like the size variation between the pearls, and it feels very balanced. The central pearl is clearly in dialogue with the two that are 2nd from the top and it draws the eye in…I love that visual harmony. I am overall drawn more to this arrangement. I also love the color purple!

The second set has more uniform size pearls, but I find the color combination more unusual and very appealing. It looks more “rainbowy” - which I like! This is tough.

Not sure if my musings help, but those are my initial impressions!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those two I prefer the "Original 7" lineup. All pearls have some sort of green in common. In the lineup posted first, with no label, the top pair has a ton of yellowey-green that none of the other pearls really echo. In the "Original 7" lineup the top pair of pearls is a nice colour bridge.

Photoshop below - copied the top pair from "Original 7" into the unlabelled lineup. A bit more colour equalization but you do lose that really stunning pair of pearls.
1628810351264.png

Edit - I should say... I value almost all pearls by luster first... But not SoC - for me SoC are all about colour over everything else! You might not have the same priorities though @lovedogs!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH EM GEE!!!!! It’s happening!!!!!

Tough call. Both sets are stunning. That center pearl is to die for, glad to see she made it in both!

I’ll ask - what colors to you find yourself drawn to more, maybe not just between these pearls but IRL? The first set shows much more purple, whereas the second set more green.

Compositionally, I like the first set slightly more. I like the size variation between the pearls, and it feels very balanced. The central pearl is clearly in dialogue with the two that are 2nd from the top and it draws the eye in…I love that visual harmony. I am overall drawn more to this arrangement. I also love the color purple!

The second set has more uniform size pearls, but I find the color combination more unusual and very appealing. It looks more “rainbowy” - which I like! This is tough.

Not sure if my musings help, but those are my initial impressions!

Appreciate it!! I am going for maximal "rainbow-y" colors, so I'm glad you see that in the 2nd set! I am drawn more to purple vs green IRL, so maybe that's a consideration to keep in mind.

Of those two I prefer the "Original 7" lineup. All pearls have some sort of green in common. In the lineup posted first, with no label, the top pair has a ton of yellowey-green that none of the other pearls really echo. In the "Original 7" lineup the top pair of pearls is a nice colour bridge.

Photoshop below - copied the top pair from "Original 7" into the unlabelled lineup. A bit more colour equalization but you do lose that really stunning pair of pearls.
1628810351264.png

Thank you, @yssie. Great eye as always :) I am actually nervous about having having too much uniformity in color, but I also dont want it to look completely chaotic or random. The order you posted is lovely, but I'm afraid it's almost too "matched" for me if that makes any sense.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Appreciate it!! I am going for maximal "rainbow-y" colors, so I'm glad you see that in the 2nd set! I am drawn more to purple vs green IRL, so maybe that's a consideration to keep in mind.

Thank you, @yssie. Great eye as always :) I am actually nervous about having having too much uniformity in color, but I also dont want it to look completely chaotic or random. The order you posted is lovely, but I'm afraid it's almost too "matched" for me if that makes any sense.

I'd go for option 2 if you want maximum rainbow, because that's got it. I actually like the not-so-matchy combination personally and hate for that pair to not make the cut...they are such an unusual color.

Option 1 with the dominant purple combination is a bit more of a typical color palette.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The order you posted is lovely, but I'm afraid it's almost too "matched" for me if that makes any sense.
It's too matched for me too.
I like "Original 7" best of all three.
::)

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
The first set is more consistently purple. Whilst I really like the colours in the second row from the top the pearls appear much larger than the others and result in a mismatched look. I think in earlier posts you said you weren’t so bothered about sizing but when you have different shapes and colours I think you need at least one consistent element and that is size.

To my eye the sizes of the pearls are more uniform in the second set and result in a more harmonious look, whilst noting that that set has a wider colour range than in the first.

On balance I prefer the second “original 7” set.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I told them to move forward with the "original 7" :)

But I cant help it and am considering buying the set of mabes with the purple coloring that I was debating whether to include in the necklace. My wallet hates me.

For reference, its the set circled and labeled "large" I just love the purple colors, even if they arent as lustrous and/or dont have as many colors as the 7 in my necklace.
7 mabes and AAs con descripcion.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

But I cant help it and am considering buying the set of mabes with the purple coloring that I was debating whether to include in the necklace. My wallet hates me.

For reference, its the set circled and labeled "large" I just love the purple colors, even if they arent as lustrous and/or dont have as many colors as the 7 in my necklace.

That trio could also make a lovely set for earrings and a pendant!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The trio is really striking. And Mabes are more colourful than the normal pearls, too...

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Your wallet might hate you but your new pearls will love you
Those colours are like a dream
I'd hate you to regret not getting them which im sure would happen if you listen to your wallet and they get away

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your wallet might hate you but your new pearls will love you
Those colours are like a dream
I'd hate you to regret not getting them which im sure would happen if you listen to your wallet and they get away

Yeah that's how I feel. The set of 3 is just so perfect for earrings/pendant or earrings/large ring and I would be sad if I let them get away

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah that's how I feel. The set of 3 is just so perfect for earrings/pendant or earrings/large ring and I would be sad if I let them get away

When do they arrive ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not for a while. The necklace is being made by a jeweler they work with in MX and I'm still trying to decide what to do with the trio. Soooo itll be a while

Well it will be a lovelly surprise to log on one morning and see a zillion photos of your new pearls

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 : do you mind telling me how big your SoC mabe ring is (how big the pearl is, approximately)? I am thinking of creating an earring/ring set with the set of 3 mabes above, but am afraid it's too big for a ring.
Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results