shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people say diamonds are not rarer than colored gemstones?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is what I see too, @Garry H (Cut Nut) the model works for places like Gem2000, Nomads and large wholesalers, it works for businesses that have a large number of stones in their inventories like Prima Gems and Multicolour, but it will severely disadvantage smaller vendors with small inventories, all I see is the prices of stones rising.

If the consumers here are anything to go by most of them want cheaper well cut stones, they want to pay less for them not more for them. There is always a market for high end precision cut more expensive stones, but that is not the bulk of what consumers here buy and we are educated relatively speaking so if we reflect what consumers out in the "real" world want then I'm still not convinced the model works from a pricing POV.
When did getting more sellers into a market raise average prices. Ever? In any goods?
Do larger centres and markets attract fewer or more dealers?
When did sellers not complain about buyers? Ever? In any goods?
Why did diamond dealers start using standardised photo systems? Who made them do it?
Did all do it? Did the ones that did sell less for cheaper because of it?
Did it raise or lower standards.

Now the idea of a PS coloerd gem board came to me when reading all your comments about good and bad stuff.
I dont need any more discussion.
I just want to get the vibe, the vox po, on if people here would like it.

As to if it can be done - not your problem.
If no vendors come - not your problem.

Sorry for ranting - having a shitty day dealing with workers compensation and goven]rnment hand outs to staff

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I have posted this information a few time here, but I'll do it again. There is a company GemeWizard that makes a free app for you smart phone that will let you describe color very accurately. So far I think I have only had one person use it to ask about color with me. It would let both the customer and vendor be on the same page with color, and it translates the color into the GIA color set.

Here's an example showing a hue of green, and various combinations of tone and saturation for that hue.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 4.44.07 PM.png

Thank you!! I either missed it the other times you posted or hadn't been thinking about color for long enough to realize how fantastic this would be :) I have downloaded this!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
somoene was going to start a poll to gauge interest
that would become the yea or nay and then move to w, w w and how
I feel like an intruder here - so somone else start or we forget about it

That was me! Sorry, it took longer than I thought (long day). I finally got it up.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
That is nonsense. It would not cost you much. CBI diamonds are similar and make probably half their sales via PS.

Aren't CBI diamonds a lot more expensive than the average small-cutter's stone?

I see that an 0.7 H color SI2 (I chose those numbers because they're at the low end of what CBI offers) comes out to be $2400, and I imagine most of what CBI sells is rather more expensive than that.

Meanwhile... I'm going to pick on @PrecisionGem because he's posted in this thread -- the MOST expensive gem on his recent-gems page right now is $1215, and many are substantially less (and I may, uh, refresh his page somewhat constantly, so I can vouch for the fact that what's on his page right now is fairly representative). Other lower-end-ish cutters I follow have similar sorts of pricing; some trend even cheaper because they can't afford thousands-of-dollars rough like Gene can.

I can't see how you can compare these, Garry.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So amoung the bigger vendors arkieb mentioned, I see vendors who do not/will not list prices, vendors who only sell to jewelers not directly to customers, and vendors who have very high prices and offer superb services in meeting you in person (at your local gem and jewelery show, so you can see what you are purchasing before hand).

What is more many of these features are generic. In the sense that if they have a very large inventory of quality stones, then they almost always sell their stones to jewelers who then distribute them. Because of this, they do not list prices (so that it is impossible to tell the markup applied by each jeweler. This appears like it might be part of their agreement with the jewelers who are helping them move their stock.). This is part and parcel of the way coloured stones tend to change hands -- being a much smaller market than daimonds, a large inventory must be resold through a large distributer network. Alternatively if all sales are handled by a single vendor, then it must come with a sufficiently high $$$ markup to make sure this vendor has sufficient revenue to hold all these stones in inventory at the same time (given the limited number of sales they can personally make per month).

If you do create such a database you should be aware that it wont include prices for the most part. Where it does include prices these will probably be on the high side for the above reasons. Once you have succeeded in doing this -- you will realize that you have just recreated Pala gem's and gem2000's websites just with a few more search parameters and a wider pool of vendors.

I should say desipte the fact that such things are already available to a certain extent through gem2000 and pala, almost none of us purchase any of these stones. We -- the average customer who is not rich -- would absolutely love to own some of the stones from these vendors who carry high quality inventories with numerous amazing options, such as Nomads or Mayer and Watt.... Realistically though, I have other financial responsibilities, so I can only hope one day I have that pleasure and that I am rich enough to be able to spend that kind of money. Meanwhile I suspect I already own some of the others (roger derry's, prima gems, multicolours) inventory -- they were just resold to me by another vendor. So that supply chain seems very healthy and I am already feeding it, but no I don't know what the markup I paid was as for the most part the prices are not listed on the original distributers website. This was by design. Not by chance. And as said above I am perfectly ok with it, as I can see why it was an integral and unavoidable part of the process.

I would suggest the current application will not even jive well with any of the larger scale buisness models either. The smaller vendors list less than 10 stones a month -- I don't need a search engine to keep track of this. The larger vendors rely on shifting inventory through multiple channels, and often don't publicaly reveal prices or deal direct with customers, as that is the only way they can turn a profit. It makes them hard to put in an informative search database though.

Coloured gems are indeed sold enmass through online shopping channels and major luxury designers -- but as already noted the former sell heavily treated stuff (which we will most definitely be trying to stop anyone coming to pricescope from mistakenly buying) and the latter sell things like onyx, chalcedony, lapis and agate (the extremely non rare, non gem, varieties of coloured stones which are rarely seen on the CS side of pricescope at all), I guess this is because there just isn't enough supply for anything else to reliably market enmass.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results