shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people say diamonds are not rarer than colored gemstones?

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The variability of colored stones even within a single species and variety (as compared to the colorless diamond variety), never mind inter-species, is far greater than that of diamond. Which in turn sometimes means that assuring a particular "ideal" can be more difficult as well.

Cutting yield? 20-25% is generous to begin with if one takes into account how much rough shapes vary. Corundum, for example, can be found in everything from irregularly shaped pebbles, to very commonly tabular flat-as-anything crystals, to the textbook "tapered barrel"/bipyramid and everything in between. It's great if you manage 30%, but in that case you have to start with rough that was already shaped suitably to begin with which is always the exception, not the rule. Most beautifully colored sapphires you'll see come out of a mine will be about as unsuited to cutting shapes as can be, and the vast majority of the global gem industry is well adapted to this in the sense that it is color that is preserved first and foremost, and then yield.

Well made cutting is pretty new in colored gems, and the majority of the global market really just doesn't care about it as much as they do about color and size. And it also doesn't help that good cut doesn't guarantee good color (if anything, it's more often the anathema). In high quality sapphire and ruby - double refractive gems with color zoning, unlike diamond - keeping or losing just a single color centre/concentration makes or breaks a stone. Not to mention stuff like padparadscha, where the entire point is playing around color zoning at the expense of other factors. Take a beautiful vivid royal blue standard cut and give it a sharp, fancy, diamond-like cut - more often than not, you will end up with at least half a tone to a tone less, also possibly with some loss of saturation and "glow".

The mining industry is also nowhere near as developed and nowhere near as well funded, advanced and organized so on the market, they really *are* rarer. Just go on Polygon for example - you can find 5 x 10 ct. D/FL/3EX/N whites in no time flat. Try the same for top of the line blue sapphire, ruby, padparadscha, Mahenge spinel, Paraiba tourmaline or similar in a comparable quality - meaning top color, no zoning, excellent cutting, great clarity etc. Not a chance! Despite all these same thousands of companies listing their inventories in the same place.

There nearly isn't a type of colorless diamond that you cannot find if price is no objection - but the same isn't true for colored gems, particularly when one becomes (unrealistically?) picky. So you get orders like "5 carats each matched pair of royal blues, round brilliant cut, well cut and clean" and the only thing you can do is explain to the person that, for many reasons and unlike with what they are used to in diamonds, that simply isn't doable.

There have been some attempts to scale up mining with all that Gemfields has been doing, but there has also been some strong backlash against it in. Sri Lanka, for example, doesn't even want to hear about the idea because they're (rightly) afraid that a foreign company will come and mine out their natural resources in record time, and put tens of thousands of people out of their jobs when the same industry could support these people for the next 30-40 years like it has for generations (though the resources are depleting faster than before). Protectionist, I guess, but understandable when it comes to rare natural resources. I suppose it isn't much different in other countries - other than the ones which already allowed large-scale extraction like Mozambique, Zambia etc.

Another thing, the scale of business and the companies involved is vastly different. Very, very few companies buy tens or hundreds of millions worth of inventory yearly, while in diamonds there are quite a few by comparison - so naturally the availability is far greater.

Demand, hmmm... Let's put aside the fact that (due to strong diamond marketing or not, irrelevant) diamond demand is far higher than that for colored gems - but despite fast rising demand, colored gemstone production unfortunately hasn't really been following up at all. A lot of reasons here as well, but just look at the way mining is done in all the "top quality gems" places - it's basically total gambling, and there's no widespread effort to make it yield more than last year. Rather than make a mechanised open pit, you pray to your local deity that much harder (and then maybe it rains, maybe it doesn't). It's the way it is in many places in Asia and Africa - mining is sustainable, small scale, artisanal and that doesn't help availability at all.

Many other things to add but the post is getting long (as usual), so...

P.S. EDIT: As someone else mentioned, regarding point 6 - treatments exist precisely because of the rarity/lack of availability of high quality goods.

V.P. summarised it very well:

Last edited:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Demand demand demand.
Diamonds make over 50% of the sales in an average jewellery store.
The cost of the support diamonds in each colored gem piece is often close to or more than the gem cost.
demand demand demand.

According to Statista, the total production of diamonds in 2018 was 147 million carats, or 29,400 kg. With Russia having a reserve of 650 million carats of diamonds.

That's a lot more than any of the colored stones you mentioned.

If you take the production of gem quality Tsavorite for example, in a year you could maybe fill a shoe box. I could go to the local mail (if it were open!) and gather all the diamonds in the jewelry stores just at one mall, and easily fill that shoe box.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
1. The EU broke up De Beers monopoly more than 15 years ago
2. Russia probably supplies more rough than De Beers
3. De Beers have not done generic diamond marketing for at least 15 years.
4. Generally a monopoly is greater than 50% market share. usually closer to 70%.
De Beers have not been above 40% for at least 15 years and are currently about 1.3rd

I wasn't familiar with the details of those changes in the diamond world during the last years. Seems to me in general a good development when that old monopolistic structures are broke up in the meanwhile. Competition is important for prices, innovation and positiv for the customers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, “rare” is a personal adjective and I think of it more as “how hard is it for me to acquire this” as opposed to how widely available it may be to the rest of the world or what tonnage of it exists lol.

I think of many of my colored gems as more rare than diamonds because the loss would be much more difficult to replace. Losing my padparadscha sapphire would be devastating because finding one that fit my specific tastes and budget took forever. Losing my bangle with ags0 diamonds would be aggravating but easily replaced.

Diamonds of large size, High or fancy color and high clarity are indeed rare and difficult to find, but most diamonds I see around me don’t fit that criteria. Until my gray diamond, any of the diamonds I owned were easily replaceable at similar price points as the original with the exception of the antique ones.
I wonder if PriceScope could help?
I am sure there is 100 times more colored gems in dealers safes than there are diamonds held by dealers.
You are talking about liquidity - Rapaport made diamonds more liquid over the past 40 years.
When you go to trade fairs like the HK show - there are literally tons of gemstones. TONS of all types. Many will have been held and repriced as the market changes over years and decades - or moving from dealer to dealer. Including Pad's and really rare goods.
I wonder if we could do for gems what we do with diamonds?
e.g. if we have dimensions we can compute depth. LXW ratios.
Maybe from photos we could estimate table sizes with a little AI?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sure there is 100 times more colored gems in dealers safes than there are diamonds held by dealers.
You are talking about liquidity - Rapaport made diamonds more liquid over the past 40 years.
When you go to trade fairs like the HK show - there are literally tons of gemstones. TONS of all types. Many will have been held and repriced as the market changes over years and decades - or moving from dealer to dealer. Including Pad's and really rare goods.

Trade fairs - tons of quartzes, tons of topazes, tons of feldspars, tons of synthetics, tons of highly treated goods....these are not fair comparisons to gem-quality diamonds.

Tons of pads? Maybe you confuse diffused sapphires with real pads. Even a Sri Lankan dealer would be lucky to have 5 decent pads over a carat at his booth....given that many don’t even have a pad on display in the first place.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Trade fairs - tons of quartzes, tons of topazes, tons of feldspars, tons of synthetics, tons of highly treated goods....these are not fair comparisons to gem-quality diamonds.

I, too, think most of the colored gems by weight at trade fairs are not precious gems. I don't mean "precious" as in the designation of ruby, sapphire, emerald, but actually rare and $$$/ct, so not sapphire and emerald but including things like paraiba tourmaline, color change gems, and highly sought after colors of spinel such as red or cobalt. The difference between a cheap and abundant colored gem and a rare and expensive one is similar to the difference between an included and brown "industrial grade" diamond and a colorless engagement diamond.

Colorless diamonds are a lot more attainable to the end consumer than rare colored gems.

Part of the confusion is in grouping the rare stuff with the dime-a-dozen plentiful and cheap stuff. Just as these days I would never call somebody "colored" whenever they don't happen to be white/Caucasian, but would try to differentiate and identify them by ethnicity, I think maybe the term "colored gemstone" is too broad and encompasses too many categories of gems to be useful for comparison with white diamonds.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
According to Statista, the total production of diamonds in 2018 was 147 million carats, or 29,400 kg. With Russia having a reserve of 650 million carats of diamonds.

That's a lot more than any of the colored stones you mentioned.

If you take the production of gem quality Tsavorite for example, in a year you could maybe fill a shoe box. I could go to the local mail (if it were open!) and gather all the diamonds in the jewelry stores just at one mall, and easily fill that shoe box.
I have a braclet here with about 30 or 40 tsavorites. See lots at trade shows - not as many as ruby and sapphires though.

Cognition

Rough_Rock

Wow, you are saying there tons of untreated and heated only pad? or you are referring to beryllium diffused pad? I don't think this is fair comparison. Let say the market is suddenly flooded by pink irradiated diamond, does it mean the whole argyle diamond become a joke?

P.S. I prefer 5ct heated, eye clean, pigeon blood, precision cut ruby over "4C perfect" 5ct diamond anywhere anytime

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, you are saying there tons of untreated and heated only pad? or you are referring to beryllium diffused pad? I don't think this is fair comparison. Let say the market is suddenly flooded by pink irradiated diamond, does it mean the whole argyle diamond become a joke?

P.S. I prefer 5ct heated, eye clean, pigeon blood, precision cut ruby over "4C perfect" 5ct diamond anywhere anytime

No - I meant dealers trade them between themselves

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Inhorgenta - a big trade show here in Germany you see kilogramms of faceted industrial quality diamond, many so called „salt and pepper“ diamonds, HPHT treated ones. You see gorgeous Fancies in larger sizes like yellow or brown - even the rare and rarest colors you can buy . But try to find a top colored vanadium chrysoberyl, a fine cobalt spinel or top alexandrite or fine pad or ruby.

I love them both - diamonds and the „rest“ of the colored stones.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Just anecdotally, it took me 6 months to source a padparadscha sapphire and 3 months to find a highly saturated cornflower blue sapphire. Meanwhile, if I wanted a diamond with, say, IF clarity and D-color, I probably could have find a few within a week as long as I have a generous budget.

Colored gemstones might be plentiful, but trade ideal colors/saturation isn't. Moreover, it's much more difficult to standardize the colored gemstone industry because preferences vary so much between individuals and countries. For example, I've heard from vendors that Chinese consumers prefer pink leaning pads while European customers prefer more orange dominant ones. Moreover, Sri Lankans prefer high clarity gemstones whereas in Europe/American markets, inclusions like silk are prized. Just my observations based on interacting with a fair number of Asian vendors.

Cognition

Rough_Rock
No - I meant dealers trade them between themselves

rly?

Just anecdotally, it took me 6 months to source a padparadscha sapphire and 3 months to find a highly saturated cornflower blue sapphire. Meanwhile, if I wanted a diamond with, say, IF clarity and D-color, I probably could have find a few within a week as long as I have a generous budget.

Colored gemstones might be plentiful, but trade ideal colors/saturation isn't. Moreover, it's much more difficult to standardize the colored gemstone industry because preferences vary so much between individuals and countries. For example, I've heard from vendors that Chinese consumers prefer pink leaning pads while European customers prefer more orange dominant ones. Moreover, Sri Lankans prefer high clarity gemstones whereas in Europe/American markets, inclusions like silk are prized. Just my observations based on interacting with a fair number of Asian vendors.

Well 6 months is not that long tho. I have been hunting for high quality alexandrite with great color both way and lighter tone than most brazillian alex. It took me more than 20years and have not find any :boohoo:. I have seen several excellent daylight color from indian alex and amazing purple from brazilian alex, but have not seen a single stone that perform well in both lighting

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Well 6 months is not that long tho. I have been hunting for high quality alexandrite with great color both way and lighter tone than most brazillian alex. It took me more than 20years and have not find any :boohoo:. I have seen several excellent daylight color from indian alex and amazing purple from brazilian alex, but have not seen a single stone that perform well in both lighting

I was tempted to source Alexandrite! Until I saw the threads about hunting for alex....yeah, 6 months for a pad felt long enough to me lol! 20 years...that's dedication right there!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
rly?

Maybe you need a bigger budget Cognition?
BTW
Eats roots and leaves - I used a full stop - I should have used a comma
""Many will have been held and repriced as the market changes over years and decades - or moving from dealer to dealer, including Pad's and really rare goods."'

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fancy diamonds move from dealer to dealer too.

After closing Argyle mine I am quite sure we will still have Argyle tender shows for several years. They have enough material imo.

Maybe smaller but much more expensive. They will squeeze this lemon...

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

These ratios and dimensions are pretty much meaningless for colored stones. Every type of stone has a different refractive index, so the best angles change for each type of stone. Also we don't always cut colored stones in the same shapes or designs, so you can't judge a stones performance by it's dimensions and ratios. You need to use your eyes! I can cut a dazzling stone that has no table, or one with a very high dome crown and both can be very appealing. Gemstones are a much different item than standard cut diamonds.

I can always tell the diamond people when they start asking me for table size and ratios. They are looking at ideal dimensions for a round diamond, and trying to compare these to a colored stone. Doesn't work, there is no correlation.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, within the same specie (diamond), cutting a colorless diamond is different from cutting Fancy Colored Diamonds.

In FCDs, color puts the price up, so in many cases, the girdle is usually thick to very thick, and very few are cut round brilliant because this cut doesn’t maximize color compared to other fancy cuts. In fact, in yellow diamonds, many cutters add an extra facet at the pavilion to optimize color. The weight is also maximized, so one side of the girdle can be thicker than the other side.

If yellow diamonds (and other diamond colors) are cut the way colorless diamonds are cut, many cutters would lose money. There‘s a big price difference between a fancy light to fancy, to fancy intense - and such a price horror if your stone graded at the bottom of the D-Z scale when it could have a potential to be graded fancy.

Case in point (from GIA website):

0B9FACAF-1ABE-46D6-A5F8-8A961C0E58F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These ratios and dimensions are pretty much meaningless for colored stones. Every type of stone has a different refractive index, so the best angles change for each type of stone. Also we don't always cut colored stones in the same shapes or designs, so you can't judge a stones performance by it's dimensions and ratios. You need to use your eyes! I can cut a dazzling stone that has no table, or one with a very high dome crown and both can be very appealing. Gemstones are a much different item than standard cut diamonds.

I can always tell the diamond people when they start asking me for table size and ratios. They are looking at ideal dimensions for a round diamond, and trying to compare these to a colored stone. Doesn't work, there is no correlation.

All true and great points Prcision - but the overall idea? What do you think? Can we work these issues out? Check out the great job Andrey did on the PriceScope Jewelry search

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
In CS the main price factor is color. For very rare precious gems like unheated rubies and sapphires, spinel ect. it would be a waste to cut them after standardizations based on theoretical/physical parameters. Main goal is to bring out the best possible color in finding compromise with shape, weight loss, size and dealing with "imperfections" "problems" as inclusions, color zoning ect. Especially ruby and sapphires are extremely tricky and difficult gems as orientation very often has a huge importance. Also step cuts bring out by far the best color. If a important piece gets cut there are many experienced people involved during the whole cutting process. Thats also knowhow that get transferred and build up over generations, its culture. For me cutting is art, if the humanity should be ones at a point that cutting is just done completely automatized or after some computing based advises it would be a bankruptcy declaration of our species in my eyes.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In CS the main price factor is color. For very rare precious gems like unheated rubies and sapphires, spinel ect. it would be a waste to cut them after standardizations based on theoretical/physical parameters. Main goal is to bring out the best possible color in finding compromise with shape, weight loss, size and dealing with "imperfections" "problems" as inclusions, color zoning ect. Especially ruby and sapphires are extremely tricky and difficult gems as orientation very often has a huge importance. Also step cuts bring out by far the best color. If a important piece gets cut there are many experienced people involved during the whole cutting process. Thats also knowhow that get transferred and build up over generations, its culture. For me cutting is art, if the humanity should be ones at a point that cutting is just done completely automatized or after some computing based advises it would be a bankruptcy declaration of our species in my eyes.
Doing that with colored diamonds is far harder and yellow diamonds only became a thing after technology began to be used.
there are a few articles there.
They licence the software to cutters for $100,000 for a year or two.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Doing that with colored diamonds is far harder and yellow diamonds only became a thing after technology began to be used.
there are a few articles there.
They licence the software to cutters for $100,000 for a year or two.

Thats interesting and Im sure there is huge potential to improve the cutting and quality in diamonds as well there is also potential in CS as there are so many different ones. Don't get me wrong, Im not against this at all and I see there also positive sides about. Its just not one to one to overlap to CS as they are different and often other goals in cutting are followed. Im always happy about variety and diversity and open for new things. I just say it not exist one and only "right" way in cutting. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, so its great to have variety and development in as much as possible directions.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure we all want coloured stones commercialised and monopolised the way white diamonds are.

Come on, you can do better than that :)
Commercialise = available for sale. Marketed and promoted to create demand. Help employ and improve the lives of people in mainly poor countries.
Monopoly = more than 50% - two orgs - one a public company with two African countries as share holders - The other a communist country.
Each with 30-40% market share.
Mponopoly?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thats interesting and Im sure there is huge potential to improve the cutting and quality in diamonds as well there is also potential in CS as there are so many different ones. Don't get me wrong, Im not against this at all and I see there also positive sides about. Its just not one to one to overlap to CS as they are different and often other goals in cutting are followed. Im always happy about variety and diversity and open for new things. I just say it not exist one and only "right" way in cutting. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, so its great to have variety and development in as much as possible directions.
As a geologist and gemologist I can say that minerals have physical constants that are able to be reproduced in software and colour and brilliance enhanced.
Windows removed.
Extinction removed.
Do any of you know who Bruce Harding was?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How does this standardization (cutting) help when some gems grow as long crystals (like tourmalines or topaz) and can be cut in super elongated pears or other fancy cuts?
So instead of having a nice long pear/shard shape you will get 20 round or whatever "meh" common shaped smaller gems that you could have gotten from any other rough shape.
Being a fan of artistic jewellery and fancy cuts, love when artizans and lapidarists use their creativity and imagination to create uniquely cut gems and jewellery pieces.

I think this box (standardization) doesn't fit coloured gems at all, you get crystals in different shapes, you get silk, chatoyancy etc, it just doesn't work in my opinion, but hey I'm just a consumer.

There's more to this, diamonds were advertized to the masses and became the ideal of the masses, hence the amount of diamond simulants out there and most people can't tell the difference.
We all are unique and want to be seen as such, why would I go for a diamond, doesn't make sense. I'd rather have a coloured gem for less, something that is more "me" than a generic diamond that shares stats with a million other diamonds---> my personal opinion.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come on, you can do better than that :)
Commercialise = available for sale. Marketed and promoted to create demand. Help employ and improve the lives of people in mainly poor countries.
Monopoly = more than 50% - two orgs - one a public company with two African countries as share holders - The other a communist country.
Each with 30-40% market share.
Mponopoly?

That's great in theory but that isn't what has been occurring - the African government for example closed the Mahenge spinel mines to everyone last year, all the little dealers, to all the miners, all the people that paid them for licenses to sell and take Mahenge spinel out of the country and sell it. They did that because they want to sell the mines to a big Asian or European conglomerate. In other parts of Africa Garry, sure, larger companies have taken better quality high end stones to other countries and had them precision cut in some instances, and then onsold them for thousands to places like Tiffany and Graff and so on, but rarely do the people themselves, the miners and the people that live in those areas, that mine the stones get paid much more than they were before the mines were sold, in fact if anything many of them are earning less now because of it. Tiffany has specific "projects" in Africa giving back to a small number of the people in specific places but that isn't widely the case in most of the gemstone mines there.

Or at least that's what I've been told by African guys that hold spinel licenses, who last year could not afford to feed families..... if you are suggesting that the people that have been buying up many of the mines ie the Chinese, Indians and others care about paying miners more, they don't pay their own people more for labour, so why are they going to pay African miners more? The African government makes more when they sell the mines or regulate and charge taxes on the companies that buy and operate them, but they, the African government doesn't actually seem to care that much about what happens to their own people in a lot of these places. It's great to think that maybe some of the the people might get better resources in those areas but all too often that just hasn't been what has happened.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
As a geologist and gemologist I can say that minerals have physical constants that are able to be reproduced in software and colour and brilliance enhanced.
Windows removed.
Extinction removed.
Do any of you know who Bruce Harding was?

Yes there are physical constants. But in reality you have a endless variety of "exceptions". Just for example: Corundum after their physical constant is just a colorless transparent mineral. In nature thats a extremely rarity as many of the Al-atomes are exchanged through different atoms what absorbs the light differently and create color. So there is a endless variety of color, shapes, inclusions and so on. Imagine there would exist just white, perfectly clean sapphires in a single perfectly crystalized way. Wouldn't that be very boring? I not understand the point and effort to canalize, banalize, standardize that endless variety and beauty. It seems to me its trying to put nature in a narrow corset to label it afterwards as "perfectioned". I personally love and appreciate the endless variety and beauty of the nature itself and Iike to play free with color, shape, cuts ect. in that wide field of gems.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
To underline it a bit of what I mean with some examples:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 15.50.24.png Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 15.50.46.png Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 15.51.30.png
Should I facet that transparent center of that double side starruby?
IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0250.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0254.jpg
Should I facet a unheated eye clean stoplight red all-around crystalized and undamaged crystal with an enormous luster?

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0266.jpg
What should I do with this alluvial rough ruby? So far I did just a single big facet on one side (upper pic). Its blocky, clean and over 11ct. There would be no problem to facet it in one piece. Its worth to cut away somewhere around 50-70% to have a facet gem? How that facet gem would look like?

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
To underline it a bit of what I mean with some examples:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 15.50.24.png Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 15.50.46.png Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 15.51.30.png
Should I facet that transparent center of that double side starruby?
IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0250.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0254.jpg
Should I facet a unheated eye clean stoplight red all-around crystalized and undamaged crystal with an enormous luster?

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0266.jpg
What should I do with this alluvial rough ruby? So far I did just a single big facet on one side (upper pic). Its blocky, clean and over 11ct. There would be no problem to facet it in one piece. Its worth to cut away somewhere around 50-70% to have a facet gem? How that facet gem would look like?

You can send the stoplight red ruby to me, and I'll make sure it never gets faceted. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results