shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people prefer lower colored stones in older cuts? . Why not D-F?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't we see more D-F in older cuts?. Think I know the answer to my own Q, but just wanna hear what others think.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the higher value of higher clarities make them more likely to be recut to modern standards.

Follow the money, and all that.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
I remember someone describing old cuts like antique lace. You know, with that creamy ivory look to it. It adds to the vintage feel of it I suppose, and people like that. I don't know why there aren't more d-f stones in older cuts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both of these categories. Old cuts in lower colors and higher colors. They are very different in appearance but both stunning in their own way. My preference has changed (as I got to know what I loved and didn't love) in that I prefer them at either end of the spectrum now vs the middle colors. But what I consider either end of the spectrum might not line up with what most people consider that to be. So for me, in old cuts, I prefer J and higher (whiter) or ST and lower (warmer). I love the soft colors that the warmer colors bring but I appreciate the whiter old cuts too.

And of course, as always with old cut diamonds there are no rules that apply to all stones. So I might find an K/L/M/N/OP/QR stone that speaks to me in a way most don't but in general these are my preferences. But as with all things old cut chunky facet pattern and light play across the stone is key for me.

Truly so many old cuts regardless of their color make me SWOON. I recently shared a higher color old cut that made me go crazy with delight. This is a masterpiece in all ways. And also turned me around re clarity because generally I prefer a higher clarity. VS and above. But this stone was SI. Who knows though, in time, that might have driven me crazy. Our preferences take time to develop and can change over the years. But for now this F color SI stone was the bees knees for me when I saw it and I trust it still would be should I see it again. And that setting. Just wow.

anupsring.jpg.png

anupsring.jpeg.png

Also to be fair, I did not get to evaluate it in all different lighting environments so I might not have been as enamored of the color play as I would with lower color old cuts. It's always a trade off. No right or wrong just what makes your heart sing. And that (for me) has nothing to do with the dollar amount.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two reasons:

The availability is scarce for higher colored old cuts. I was excited, and surprised to learn that my heirloom OEC that I reset was closer to H-I color, rather than J or under.
I believe the majority of old cuts with higher color grades are either already owned, and passed down, or they have been recut into more modern cut stones.
They are not as prevalent or plentiful to purchase, unless they are “New” old cuts.

The pastel colors, and rich, buttery flashes that bounce off of old cuts are aesthetically appealing; these stones were cut to play on candlelight, which is warm, and romantic. The color, alone, changes the personality of the stone, and almost takes one back in time.
I prefer old cuts between J and O, depending on how broad the facets are, and their pattern. The more pastel fire that bounces off, the better. So beautiful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so look at these beautiful colors.
Outside under a tree during the summer.

bubbalahcolorsoutsidejpg.png

One thing I adore about the lower colors is the colorlicious glow it has that I don't get with a whiter old cut. But again it's always trade offs. That is why for now, J is my sweet spot. And why Bubbalah makes me *J*ump for *J*oy every time I see her. Her personality is multifaceted and all facets gorgeous to me.

She appears white and bright to me but also has that color play I adore.

bubbalahfrontofbeachhouse.png

I hope I always feel this way because she satiates my desire for any other big ER stone. As in I am finally completely content with my ER stone. And it took decades to get there lol. But what matters is I finally figured it out and found my dream stone. Persistence and patience and lots of good humor along the way. And the search was much of the fun. Most of the time. Thanks to a few of my dear PS friends who were with me every step of the way. XOXO.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like old cuts in both high and low colours, BUT, I find old cuts more tolerable ie better to look at than RBs in that mid colour range!!!

Years ago a number of higher coloured old cuts (we are talking before they became popular and worth as much if not more than RBs) were recut to RBs for resale... vendors would buy them, recut them and sell them for substantially more, so it's harder to find them now in higher colours.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I like old cuts in both high and low colours, BUT, I find old cuts more tolerable ie better to look at than RBs in that mid colour range!!!

Years ago a number of higher coloured old cuts (we are talking before they became popular and worth as much if not more than RBs) were recut to RBs for resale... vendors would buy them, recut them and sell them for substantially more, so it's harder to find them now in higher colours.

This makes me sad. I understand the popularity was not there and supply and demand played a pivotal role for the colorless MRB, but still...to know these beautiful stones were recut is still sad to me.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love both of these categories. Old cuts in lower colors and higher colors. They are very different in appearance but both stunning in their own way. My preference has changed (as I got to know what I loved and didn't love) in that I prefer them at either end of the spectrum now vs the middle colors. But what I consider either end of the spectrum might not line up with what most people consider that to be. So for me, in old cuts, I prefer J and higher (whiter) or ST and lower (warmer). I love the soft colors that the warmer colors bring but I appreciate the whiter old cuts too.

And of course, as always with old cut diamonds there are no rules that apply to all stones. So I might find an K/L/M/N/OP/QR stone that speaks to me in a way most don't but in general these are my preferences. But as with all things old cut chunky facet pattern and light play across the stone is key for me.

Truly so many old cuts regardless of their color make me SWOON. I recently shared a higher color old cut that made me go crazy with delight. This is a masterpiece in all ways. And also turned me around re clarity because generally I prefer a higher clarity. VS and above. But this stone was SI. Who knows though, in time, that might have driven me crazy. Our preferences take time to develop and can change over the years. But for now this F color SI stone was the bees knees for me when I saw it and I trust it still would be should I see it again. And that setting. Just wow.

anupsring.jpg.png

anupsring.jpeg.png

Also to be fair, I did not get to evaluate it in all different lighting environments so I might not have been as enamored of the color play as I would with lower color old cuts. It's always a trade off. No right or wrong just what makes your heart sing. And that (for me) has nothing to do with the dollar amount.

It looks like a disco ball. I can only imagine the amazing flashes of light it gives off. Stunning piece.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a disco ball. I can only imagine the amazing flashes of light it gives off. Stunning piece.

Thank you! I am fully ensconced in old cut love and while I will never say never I think that yes this is my forever stone. Though if I won the lottery and could have different flavors I’d rock an antique pear and antique emerald cut so fast I’d leave smoke in the wake. Hahaha

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even to this day a high color and clarity stone is likely to be recut into a mrb.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most older cuts of fine color were re-cut to more modern faceting years ago. The supply of such stones is limited. What does exist are the darker ones which were not sufficiently of interest 40, 20 or even 10 years ago. Consumers really don't flock in large numbers to spending enough to buy D-F colored diamonds anyway, but prefer, especially in older cuts, the warmer colors along with their more moderate cost. Truthfully, the tint of color found in most available older cuts is not nearly as visible as it would be in a modern cut with the inherent light return efficiency of such modern diamonds. It really all makes sense. Many of us love the look of old cuts and few demand fine color ones.

We are so caught up on Pricescope with ultimate cut and light return that participants don't get a broad view of the global diamond market. People of many levels of economic success and affluence are deeply interested in owning diamonds, but truly few have much big buying power. We see just the top of the cream here for the most part, but overall, the supply of fine colors has been metered out to merge well with a relatively thin demand for such top color stones.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
OK so look at these beautiful colors.
Outside under a tree during the summer.

bubbalahcolorsoutsidejpg.png

One thing I adore about the lower colors is the colorlicious glow it has that I don't get with a whiter old cut. But again it's always trade offs. That is why for now, J is my sweet spot. And why Bubbalah makes me *J*ump for *J*oy every time I see her. Her personality is multifaceted and all facets gorgeous to me.

She appears white and bright to me but also has that color play I adore.

bubbalahfrontofbeachhouse.png

I hope I always feel this way because she satiates my desire for any other big ER stone. As in I am finally completely content with my ER stone. And it took decades to get there lol. But what matters is I finally figured it out and found my dream stone. Persistence and patience and lots of good humor along the way. And the search was much of the fun. Most of the time. Thanks to a few of my dear PS friends who were with me every step of the way. XOXO.

Every time you post this ring, I myself “j”ump with “j”oy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it really a preference? Or is it because colorless old cuts are pretty darn rare as many were recut into MRB. Sure you can find them but maybe not in the preferred size or price range.
I have an F and an M. I wear my F far more often than my larger M. I love the icy rainbow colors she throws!
B18DB30F-E2A9-49A4-BC63-D4A819FD0DC1.jpeg
305054A1-2A2D-4718-B48A-87039530F4CE.jpeg
E75B0810-95F7-4C29-8B72-4E23F1AC25DC.jpeg

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I am fully ensconced in old cut love and while I will never say never I think that yes this is my forever stone. Though if I won the lottery and could have different flavors I’d rock an antique pear and antique emerald cut so fast I’d leave smoke in the wake. Hahaha

What did you do with the previous setting?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you do with the previous setting?

Do you mean Bea’s setting or the one Bubbalah was changed to in the interim between when I first saw her in 2016 (in this current setting) and when I found her again in 2018?

Grace put Bubbalah back into the setting she was in when I first saw her in 2016.
I wanted a vintage solitaire setting but there was nothing for her size. I haven’t given up hope but the search has been on hold due to our crazy stressful 2019.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it really a preference? Or is it because colorless old cuts are pretty darn rare as many were recut into MRB. Sure you can find them but maybe not in the preferred size or price range.
I have an F and an M. I wear my F far more often than my larger M. I love the icy rainbow colors she throws!
B18DB30F-E2A9-49A4-BC63-D4A819FD0DC1.jpeg
305054A1-2A2D-4718-B48A-87039530F4CE.jpeg
E75B0810-95F7-4C29-8B72-4E23F1AC25DC.jpeg

Both stunning ♥️

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think the cost of D-F in past years would have also been more expensive and rarer, just as they are today -- relative to the time period. The bulk of your buyers were purchasing lower colors because they were more affordable and readily available.

Fast forward to modern times, and you take an already small pool and diminish it further by recutting as MRB's and it makes sense why there are less and less D-F old cuts.

Oddly enough while I am more critical of color in MRB's I am much more forgiving in old cuts. I wish my wife shared my love of the older cuts, but she prefers MRB's. Although I am working on her, lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oddly enough while I am more critical of color in MRB's I am much more forgiving in old cuts

I don't think this is odd at all. Color is more forgiving in old cuts. Due to the cut and light return etc. So you are quite correct. Color in MRBs is much more (IMO) pronounced than in old cuts where it is softened to a degree. As an example I would not be able to personally tolerate a J in an ER MRB whereas I love it in Bubbalah.

I wish my wife shared my love of the older cuts, but she prefers MRB's. Although I am working on her, lol.

Good luck! And I still say you would rock an old cut if you wore one yourself. :love: :appl:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

I think this says it for me too.

Also, personally, I found it nice to have an old cut in a bigger size (bigger than what I would have been considering in a MRB) to better appreciate the chunky facets. A lower colour is very helpful for the budget.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imagine a stone, D/VVS2/OEC/2.40cts. That’s a tough item to sell. There are buyers, but it’s expensive and it’s a rarified market. Now recut it to D/VVS1/MRBxxx/2.0. It’ll sell faster and for more money. Possibly even quite a bit more. The result is that the ones that could be ‘improved’ by recutting, have been. It’s a one-way trip. They’re MRBs now.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The majority of people outside of this forum don’t know what an OEC/OMC is. Before I found my stones, I had a jeweler tell me they are “frozen balls of spit.” Haven’t been back there since! :roll2:

ETA: To add, old cut lovers make up such a small percentage of the population. Outside of estate jewelers, people don’t have the opportunity to see and appreciate these types of diamonds.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results