Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people prefer lower colored stones in older cuts? . Why not D-F?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it really a preference? Or is it because colorless old cuts are pretty darn rare as many were recut into MRB. Sure you can find them but maybe not in the preferred size or price range.
I have an F and an M. I wear my F far more often than my larger M. I love the icy rainbow colors she throws!
B18DB30F-E2A9-49A4-BC63-D4A819FD0DC1.jpeg
305054A1-2A2D-4718-B48A-87039530F4CE.jpeg
E75B0810-95F7-4C29-8B72-4E23F1AC25DC.jpeg
:wavey: :lol-2: Well, lady, how come u got so many gorgeous rings???:P2

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the higher value of higher clarities make them more likely to be recut to modern standards.
That's what I was thinking too. :))

Ceilimom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I am fully ensconced in old cut love and while I will never say never I think that yes this is my forever stone. Though if I won the lottery and could have different flavors I’d rock an antique pear and antique emerald cut so fast I’d leave smoke in the wake. Hahaha
Missy I love the vision of "smoke in my wake".

WindyCityCoco

Rough_Rock
The majority of people outside of this forum don’t know what an OEC/OMC is. Before I found my stones, I had a jeweler tell me they are “frozen balls of spit.” Haven’t been back there since! :roll2:

ETA: To add, old cut lovers make up such a small percentage of the population. Outside of estate jewelers, people don’t have the opportunity to see and appreciate these types of diamonds.
I am happy to buy up all those OEC's :)

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Off the cuff - this www could have been a bona fide OEC ,(

Wink

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I remember fondly the folks that used to bring in Old Euros and Old Mine cuts into my office back in the early 80's. These were treasures passed down by grandparents and parents and perhaps not the "flavor" that the receiving couple was wanting.

Back then Old Euro cuts and especially Old Mine cuts sold for a fraction of what a modern round brilliant cut would sell for. The cuts may have been antiques, but the market had no special value for them.

My fun with these was seeing the ones that were magic and sharing that magic with the owner. If they only wanted to sell it at the best possible price, I could recommend the ones that should be recut as they were not that pretty. If the stone was already magic, I could let them see why and then I could recommend that they not recut the diamond.

Although I did help with many recuts over the years, I always had the greatest satisfaction when an old style stone that was magnificent went home with the owners now understanding what a treasure they owned.

Wink

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i like old cuts, and i can not lie... LOL

I think the answer has been given by many experts above..
But just wanted to chime in that i love old cuts (and step cuts). Any colour... Of course, like most diamonds - there are some good ones and there are some bad ones.

The stone i choose has to speak to me... :)

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.