shape
carat
color
clarity

who would be willing to remount my diamonds?

chicky monkey

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I have a nice 3 stone ring, 1 ct center, 2 .5 ct side stones that I would like to turn into some new pieces.

I am thinking a halo'd ring for the 1 ct and halo'd earrings for the side stones.

I contacted Whiteflash as they have a setting I really liked for the ring and was informed that I needed an AGS or GIA certificate in order for them to reset these stones for me. I don't have a certificate for the ring. I bought the ring back in 2004 from Costco (boo me all you want for buying from Costco, but I got a ring appraised at $14k for $7k and the stones are beautiful as far as I'm concerned) and they didn't provide a certificate other than an appraisal.

The setting I'm looking at for the ring is not cheap at over $5,000 PLUS the remount and settings for the earrings and I get this via email from Whiteflash:

Due to our policies I'm not sure that Whiteflash will be able to assist you in your re-set at this time. We truly appreciate your interest though!

Sounds like a blow off to me. Very disappointing.

Anyone have any suggestions to who would be my next contact for this project? If Whiteflash doesn't want my money I'm happy to shop elsewhere.

PS: I'm not shopping Leon for this project. He's shown no interest either. I have a beautiful custom Leon ring, but when I approached him about this project he wasn't interested and I'm continuing my search to find someone to remount these stones.

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Weird, sounds like they do not want your business.

Ask an appraiser to send it to a lab for it to be graded?

Or check with any other jewelers. HighPerformanceDiamond, GoodOldGold or BrianGavinDiamond?

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried Brian Gavin Diamonds? They have rest diamonds for many pricescopers. While I am sure they would much rather sell you a diamond they will reset your diamonds. I just had them reset my mom's stud earrings, beautifully reset with rose gold bezels and they did not have any certs! Actually the ring in my avatar is a rest from BGD they remade my wedding band into a 5 stone rose gold trellis with a surprise pink sapphire inside!
Good Luck

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe they're concerned they're clarity enhanced. They may not want to take on the liability in the event the stone is damaged during re-setting.

Lots of other jewelers will do this sort of work (and since you got them from Costco, you know for sure they weren't clarity enhanced). Try Brian Gavin, ID Jewelers, Jewels by Erica Grace, check out semi-mounts at Pearlman's, Dimend Scaasi...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You aren't alone. I wanted to create a 5-stone ring using my original ering 0.5 ct diamond and Whiteflash gave me the same answer. They didn't give me the same reason, though.

I am sure you will find a vendor that will do the job. Many people get heirloom stones set without certificates.

alvina

Rough_Rock
no idea...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD. They've done that for me before, more than once.

You can also try Steven Kirsch. I recently contacted him about re-setting a LM ring and he said he could do that. It is said that his work is comparable to Leon's since I believe he used to work for Leon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second BGD and Steven. I've worked with them both. BGD made me this necklace with a bunch of 'Odds and Ends' [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/[/URL] ... They will inspect your diamonds, and there is always a risk in setting any diamonds, so make sure your piece is insured before you send it off. This is true for any piece you want worked on, with any jeweler.

Steven re-made my engagement ring setting and did a fabulous job.

Either jeweler would do a lovely job for you. Best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results