shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, you know I have to ask what’s behind the name?

You start with 10 pounds(!) of chicken breasts and it makes enough to take to a family who has lost a loved one...or a party...but it’s really worth taking for funeral food. The other reason could be this is one of those “they’ll get that recipe over my dead body” recipes.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Goodwill find from yesterday. I spotted it sitting on a piece of furniture and I (swear I) saw a light shining on it and heard angels singing. So, I took a very deep inhale and held it and eased over and put it in my cart. The price tag: $14.99. When I went to check out the young lady asked me if I was 55 or older. Well, yes....yes I am. So I got it for 50% off. It's a Mckee punchbowl, made from 1908-1920 in the horseshoe slew radiant daisy pattern. It weighs 13 pounds and holds 2 1/2 gallons of punch. There are some places that are cruddy and have to be cleaned....the cleaning will happen in my bathtub since it doesn't fit in a sink I have, or my dishwasher. It's going to look grand on my dining table at Christmas with twinkle lights and glittery ornaments with some greenery scattered amongst them. (Reduce, reuse, recycle!) IMG_9550.jpg IMG_9549.jpg

Its beautiful! Good find, as always, Loretta!
And I know it's heavy. It's a lovely thing that will have many uses in your home!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this to the Pearl Forum, but since they are vintage, I'll put them here, too.
Several weeks ago, @Lisa Loves Shiny and @Daisys and Diamonds were discussing Lisa's new baroque akoyas. Naturally, my antennae went up, and I started an internet quest to find some. I looked and looked, and prices were high. Then, lo and behold, I walked into the pawn shop that is closest to my home, and there they were. Only $30.00! I'm in the process of restringing them cause I sorta hate the screw closure.
IMG_20210121_131134812.jpg

Next up is a pair of 14k Tahitian pearl screw back earrings from the thrift store, a pretty good deal for 50 cents
IMG_20210128_151849703.jpg

And last but not least, 3 pieces of green Wedgwood Jasperware! They date from the 1960s. $6.00 for all three.
IMG_20210129_164340679.jpg

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a thrift store in the neighboring town today because I was so inspired by these finds. It did not go well. :lol-2:

With that said- lets talk about @stracci2000's vintage green Wedgwood pieces. Just beautiful. The condition looks amazing. Perhaps to be used to put precious baubles away? They would also make an awesome prop when photographing pearls.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a thrift store in the neighboring town today because I was so inspired by these finds. It did not go well. :lol-2:

With that said- lets talk about @stracci2000's vintage green Wedgwood pieces. Just beautiful. The condition looks amazing. Perhaps to be used to put precious baubles away? They would also make an awesome prop when photographing pearls.

I have a motley collection of Jasperware. The first time I saw it was in the National Archives in Washington DC. Gifts from England to the US presidents. Large urns and vases covered with goddesses wearing the most gorgeous gossamer robes. I was smitten.
The first piece I got for myself was the black and white one in the center.
I've been accumulating pieces for about 10 years. I always pick them up when I see them. My oldest one is this vase, 1891-1907
IMG_20201212_073945258.jpg
IMG_20210129_184709.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow girl you and these pearl finds, I would say I’m impressed but you are the deal queen! Love the new additions to your Wedgwood collection too!

@Lisa Loves Shiny, too bad you didn’t find anything worthwhile, that’s always a letdown. I’ve pretty much given up on our local Goodwill, they never have anything good. Even Savers here has gone down hill.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted this to the Pearl Forum, but since they are vintage, I'll put them here, too.
Several weeks ago, @Lisa Loves Shiny and @Daisys and Diamonds were discussing Lisa's new baroque akoyas. Naturally, my antennae went up, and I started an internet quest to find some. I looked and looked, and prices were high. Then, lo and behold, I walked into the pawn shop that is closest to my home, and there they were. Only $30.00! I'm in the process of restringing them cause I sorta hate the screw closure.
IMG_20210121_131134812.jpg

Next up is a pair of 14k Tahitian pearl screw back earrings from the thrift store, a pretty good deal for 50 cents
IMG_20210128_151849703.jpg

And last but not least, 3 pieces of green Wedgwood Jasperware! They date from the 1960s. $6.00 for all three.
IMG_20210129_164340679.jpg

What finds !
Was ment to me

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened? Were they mean to you? Pawn shop guys can be brusque :lol:

She was very nice and sweet. The kind of nice that makes you feel criminal if you don't want to buy something from her. I read the Internet reviews and they posted that the shop was a "higher end" thrift shop with a "large jewelry selection." There were tons and tons of paste pieces, rhinestones, and faux pears. I actually felt blinded by the all the cases containing over the top bling. A kaleidoscope of colors and flashes. It was disorienting.

So I wandered over to the other end of the store.The owner was all over me trying to start a conversation. I felt distracted. Could she please not stand so close to me? I picked up a a tarnished tea set cream server. How do I get past her?

I asked the price- maybe she will have to look it up and give me some space. But no, she quotes $49 and told me it antique from 1898. She said look at the bottom, the date is there. I could see the date and some writing and put it down. She said "So you don't want it then?" Oh the pain in her voice. And replied that I did not think I did and tried to retreat from the store.

She follows me "Will you take it for $15?" The pleading voice again! I cracked under the pressure of that sad little voice. Okay- I will use it to melt candle wax I told myself. I finally can leave after promising to pray for Daisy. You do not want to hear the Daisy story- trust me.

Get home, take a good look at the bottom and it says "Patent established 1898." And silverplate, not silver. LOL

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She was very nice and sweet. The kind of nice that makes you feel criminal if you don't want to buy something from her. I read the Internet reviews and they posted that the shop was a "higher end" thrift shop with a "large jewelry selection." There were tons and tons of paste pieces, rhinestones, and faux pears. I actually felt blinded by the all the cases containing over the top bling. A kaleidoscope of colors and flashes. It was disorienting.

So I wandered over to the other end of the store.The owner was all over me trying to start a conversation. I felt distracted. Could she please not stand so close to me? I picked up a a tarnished tea set cream server. How do I get past her?

I asked the price- maybe she will have to look it up and give me some space. But no, she quotes $49 and told me it antique from 1898. She said look at the bottom, the date is there. I could see the date and some writing and put it down. She said "So you don't want it then?" Oh the pain in her voice. And replied that I did not think I did and tried to retreat from the store.

She follows me "Will you take it for $15?" The pleading voice again! I cracked under the pressure of that sad little voice. Okay- I will use it to melt candle wax I told myself. I finally can leave after promising to pray for Daisy. You do not want to hear the Daisy story- trust me.

Get home, take a good look at the bottom and it says "Patent established 1898." And silverplate, not silver. LOL

Yikes!
I hate to be guilted into buying something!
No need to visit that place again o_O

Kvintage

Rough_Rock
I am not on FB but DH belongs to a group where people post free stuff. Couldn’t believe pass up this chair, it will need a professional cleaning to remove the stains in the tapestry.

6A322378-8135-4461-A131-B02C721C317E.jpeg

E87D43E5-AF85-4FB9-A88F-8AE2B493A9AF.jpeg

i LOVE those old tapestry chairs

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really a “haul” but this is my birthday/15th anniversary present. The center diamond is a 3/4 carat champagne OEC, I thought it would be appropriate to have a champagne diamond for an anniversary ;-)

The band is soldered to the engagement ring and has single cut diamonds. The first pic is inside and the second is outside with no real sun.
B8C5C55E-96EA-4EF3-88B2-54B12C696399.jpeg
3E89DD08-1DC0-4BC0-8D4D-CAE7760520E4.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really a “haul” but this is my birthday/15th anniversary present. The center diamond is a 3/4 carat champagne OEC, I thought it would be appropriate to have a champagne diamond for an anniversary ;-)

The band is soldered to the engagement ring and has single cut diamonds. The first pic is inside and the second is outside with no real sun.

Awesome! So nice!!! Spill on the deets, sister!
Who what when where, etc!!!

And more photos pleeeez

This is a great haul! Lovely stack. And so satisfying when the rings match up so nicely in height, width, and design.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! So nice!!! Spill on the deets, sister!
Who what when where, etc!!!

And more photos pleeeez

Ready for this? It was not listed as a champagne diamond, not listed as an OEC either, I stumbled upon it by pure luck on EBay.

These were the pictures I had to work with, there was a solid return policy though. These are a screenshot off my phone. When I looked at the listing on my computer it was clear the center was an OEC but was hard to gauge just how champagne it was:

147ADFF2-BB89-4B27-8C86-9E0FF163FF53.jpeg

The setting is 18k on both rings. The color was described as light champagne SI1 and the baguettes are about H-I color same with the single cuts in the band.

Maybe I will give this one it’s own thread here in Antique/Vintage when I can get better pictures. It has been so gloomy here all week :(

Ready for this? It was not listed as a champagne diamond, not listed as an OEC either, I stumbled upon it by pure luck on EBay.

These were the pictures I had to work with, there was a solid return policy though. These are a screenshot off my phone. When I looked at the listing on my computer it was clear the center was an OEC but was hard to gauge just how champagne it was:

147ADFF2-BB89-4B27-8C86-9E0FF163FF53.jpeg

The setting is 18k on both rings. The color was described as light champagne SI1 and the baguettes are about H-I color same with the single cuts in the band.

Maybe I will give this one it’s own thread here in Antique/Vintage when I can get better pictures. It has been so gloomy here all week :(

Wow, your pics look a zillion times better than the ones from the listing. The seller did not do this set justice. Good thing you've got such a great eye, @YadaYadaYada, and can find the beauty behind crappy pics :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your pics look a zillion times better than the ones from the listing. The seller did not do this set justice. Good thing you've got such a great eye, @YadaYadaYada, and can find the beauty behind crappy pics :lol:

Thanks! eBay can be your best friend especially when dealing with a gold and coin place that has a good return policy. Those guys can have treasure but they can’t be bothered to take good pictures.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada
I can't believe how beautiful it is compared to the photos.
You have an uncanny knack for finding great diamonds....
I have first-hand knowledge of this!;)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada
I can't believe how beautiful it is compared to the photos.
You have an uncanny knack for finding great diamonds....
I have first-hand knowledge of this!;)2

Oh thanks for the compliment but really I just take a chance sometimes, as long as there is a return policy! The other contender I was considering was a 3/4 carat OEC bezel set but NO RETURNS and the pictures were meh. Immediate thought was it could have fish eye and I’m not getting stuck with a dud!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was an estate sale down the street, and I found a few goodies there.
These flow blue bowls are super!
WH Grindley, 1891-1914
IMG_20210205_135147447.jpg

This interesting necklace and locket are quite old.
I think the pieces were not originally a necklace. Maybe they were game pieces? I need to do more research. They are gold plated. Each piece has an etched design. Look at the little faces!
IMG_20210205_135217636.jpg
IMG_20210205_142545.jpg

This is a Lladro goose.
I have been looking for Lladro for years and years. Finally found one!
IMG_20210205_141119548.jpg
IMG_20210205_141123601.jpg
IMG_20210205_141137463.jpg

And who can pass up a full 3.4 oz. bottle of Chanel for $5.00? It smells divine.
IMG_20210205_140926748.jpg

These flow blue bowls are super!
WH Grindley, 1891-1914
IMG_20210205_135147447.jpg

@stracci2000 Love the blue! My in-laws are Dutch and they have a lot of dishware that's blue and white like that. And is that a bit of gold-colored paint or something that's shimmering around the edges there?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 Wow a full bottle of Chanel for $5?! I guess someone was not a fan. Love those blue plates, so pretty and always amazed that plates of this age are in such good condition!

Glad you finally found a goose, maybe he will lay you so golden eggs ;-)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out what the necklace is! It's made from Georgian era fusee cocks from pocket watches!
I showed it on an antiques forum, and someone knew right away what it was. Yay!
Here's a necklace on Ebay

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 Love the blue! My in-laws are Dutch and they have a lot of dishware that's blue and white like that. And is that a bit of gold-colored paint or something that's shimmering around the edges there?

Yes a little detail in gold.
They are so pretty, the photos don't do them justice.
I love the blue and white, too! I have some Delft and also some antique dishes from Maastricht as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results