shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, sweet little fish! Even sweeter at $2, that is really a find, see that's what gets me excited is finding real gold and gemstones for less than the price of a coffee @stracci2000!
You know, I live for stuff like this. It's like gambling.
I get up early for yard sales, get dressed, put makeup on(!) and tell DH, "what if there's a really great thing out there, and we miss out? Let's go!"

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, the appraiser I went to this week told me a story that will keep you going to those tag and estate sales.

She told me there is a woman, much like yourself, who goes to the estate sales and tag sales regularly and brings in her finds to find out the value before she sells them. Well apparently one day she bought a Herbert Rosenthal bee pin that was diamond encrusted for $5 and the appraiser told her it is worth thousands.

It's going to happen one day....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and you get major credit for putting on make-up to go to these early a** sales :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, the appraiser I went to this week told me a story that will keep you going to those tag and estate sales.

She told me there is a woman, much like yourself, who goes to the estate sales and tag sales regularly and brings in her finds to find out the value before she sells them. Well apparently one day she bought a Herbert Rosenthal bee pin that was diamond encrusted for $5 and the appraiser told her it is worth thousands.

It's going to happen one day....
Ok, I just looked at Rosenthal bee pins, and checked out the makers mark. A pawn shop close by has a bee pin with sapphires and diamonds for $140, I think. I'm gonna go over there tomorrow and look at the mark.....:Up_to_something:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my fingers crossed for you!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doggone it @StephanieLynn !
What kind of wacky jewelry juju are you sending to me?
I walked into that pawn shop and the guy agrees to sell me this ruby and diamond bee pin for $70.....less than 50% off the tag price of 149.00. Not Herbert Rosenthal, but still really cool.
Isn't it fab? The diamonds are really sparkly. About .25 in gems, 14k, and weighs 3.03 g.
You, my dear, have some witchy jewel superpowers. Why would this pawn shop guy agree to such a low price? Coincidence, or Stephanie jewel juju....????
And how can you explain losing and mysteriously finding that rose cut yesterday.....Luck? Or something otherworldly......:shock::eek2::Up_to_something:
IMG_20190816_190436099.jpg IMG_20190816_190347753.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhhhhh you got it!!!!! Yes it is awesome so glad it was still there!

DH claims I have some supernatural powers but see I only use them for good like putting the energy out there so you find an amazing bee pin for some crazy low price so you couldn't possibly leave it behind!

You know what's funny is I never found that gold band I lost months ago and that is right in my yard but the rosie was in a totally public place and I found it right away. I chalk that up to whoever owned that band prior did not want anyone else to have it but the rosie has good energy and didn't want to go to the garbage dump!

Tell me about this pawn shop, is this a regular stop? Any other things you have your eye on there? @stracci2000

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me about this pawn shop, is this a regular stop? Any other things you have your eye on there? @stracci2000
This place is about 2 miles from my house. The sign says "Guns and Pawn"...LOL
They just have a smallish jewelry counter, but it is filled with lots of decent stuff, and good prices. I was surprised that they had a nice looking MRB diamond solitaire, maybe .50 for only $399. The highest priced ring was $1200. No really big stones, but I can't afford 'big' anyway.
They also had a Victorian bar pin with pearls and sapphires. I wasn't sure if the sapphires were natural, because they were so intensely blue. There was also a sapphire and diamond stack ring, $60, but I already have a similar one, so I passed on it for now.
I will definitely be stopping in there more often!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sound like a good place, its funny how the places that seem the least assuming seem to have some of the best stuff. Gold is high right now too so probably not a lot of buyers that worked in your favor with the bee.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Mini haul again! Went to an estate sale not too far away in a nicer town. This was the last day so the bulk of stuff left was Christmas supplies and dishware. For a grand total of $7, I got these two items:

20190818_145953.jpg
Pretty good condition, but I plan on repainting it since the color scheme is a bit boring.
20190818_150002.jpg
20190819_124009.jpg
The sticker is Sheffield company made in USA. Not sterling silver, but a combo with copper inside. I think it's actually a wine bottle coaster. I dont think it is worth much but it was very pretty for the price!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doggone it @StephanieLynn !
What kind of wacky jewelry juju are you sending to me?
I walked into that pawn shop and the guy agrees to sell me this ruby and diamond bee pin for $70.....less than 50% off the tag price of 149.00. Not Herbert Rosenthal, but still really cool.
Isn't it fab? The diamonds are really sparkly. About .25 in gems, 14k, and weighs 3.03 g.
You, my dear, have some witchy jewel superpowers. Why would this pawn shop guy agree to such a low price? Coincidence, or Stephanie jewel juju....????
And how can you explain losing and mysteriously finding that rose cut yesterday.....Luck? Or something otherworldly......:shock::eek2::Up_to_something:
IMG_20190816_190436099.jpg IMG_20190816_190347753.jpg

BEEutiful pin! I'm a beekeeper.....(I have three bee pins in my collection so far.)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great finds @Rubymal especially that carousel horse!

I bought this online today supposedly real gold and the stone is light blue color with no chips, that's all I know about it lol!

IMG_6279.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great finds @Rubymal especially that carousel horse!

I bought this online today supposedly real gold and the stone is light blue color with no chips, that's all I know about it lol!

IMG_6279.JPG
Hey! With all the excitement over the Rosie and Sapphire Sputnik, you never showed us this ring....................:twisted2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! With all the excitement over the Rosie and Sapphire Sputnik, you never showed us this ring....................:twisted2:

You are so right, I got it but I'm a little unsure about what it is, I think it might be a topaz so I'm going to have my gemologist on call look at it and then I'll post some pics. The ring size is tiny tiny, doesn't even fit on my pinky!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I was perusing my vintage EBay stomping grounds and was determined....

I found something that could be neat!
A new seller which only had 5 listings, one a video game and some other costume jewelry had just listed this guy starting the bid at $48 but leaving offers open. I could tell they werent into jewelry and had only listed it from what was stamped on the band.

I offered $70 and they accepted!
The photos are super bad, and extremely blurry but the ones close up on the blue sapphire looking stone had me intrigued.
I'm hoping its a sapphire-ruby-emerald combo but the emerald looks very light.

They also didnt have the weight at all but it looks like a hearty girl. Also I've never seen an open backed ring like that really? Watch I get it and its a toe ring! Although they had listed a size 7 twice in the listing!!

Well see what she looks like in person! This is definetely one of those blind buys where it can end up looking awesome in person and a steal or just crapola. Well see! Theyre sending it off today!
s-l400.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn
BTW, I got my Magnasonic and I really like it.
I wore my rings non-stop for 4 days so I could see if it really worked. I got my rings really dirty on purpose. It has settings in 90 second increments. So I ran the 90 second cycle, with warm water and a few drops of Dawn. It wasn't long enough, cause the dried toothpaste and foundation I purposely smeared under two different diamonds was still there!
So I ran it for a few minutes longer. It worked! All the gunk came off.
I did have to go in with a toothpick afterward because there was a stubborn film under two diamonds that I'm sure was there for a long time, probably soap scum or mineral deposit from washing my hands at work. I louped the undersides, saw this cloudy film, and gently went in there with a toothpick. Now that the film is gone, I will stay vigilant with the Magnasonic, and not let that stuff build up in there again.
They really look super, super sparkly now, whistle clean. I was amazed at how great my diamond studs look, too. A cluster necklace I have looks so good, it hurts my eyes.
I was in the supermarket, and I looked down and I was blown away with how great my rings look now.
I took some photos, but the camera just can't capture the sparkle.
IMG_20190831_090159.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A new seller which only had 5 listings, one a video game and some other costume jewelry had just listed this guy starting the bid at $48 but leaving offers open. I could tell they werent into jewelry and had only listed it from what was stamped on the band.

The photos are super bad, and extremely blurry but the ones close up on the blue sapphire looking stone had me intrigued.

They also didnt have the weight at all but it looks like a hearty girl. Also I've never seen an open backed ring like that really? Watch I get it and its a toe ring! Although they had listed a size 7 twice in the listing!!

Well see what she looks like in person! This is definetely one of those blind buys where it can end up looking awesome in person and a steal or just crapola. Well see! Theyre sending it off today!
This is nice! And it looks like you got some gold there. Gold is high now, so a good buy!
The open back is interesting. I bet this is Indian or Middle Eastern.
I can't wait to see photos when you get it!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock

That looks to be a very interesting ring! The green actually reminds me of jade, could that be a possibility?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That looks to be a very interesting ring! The green actually reminds me of jade, could that be a possibility?

Yes! It does look like jade to me too or even green aventurine but the blue stone looks like a sapphire so those two stones would be an odd partner to it!

Ill post photos of my odd find when it arrives! Also any ideas to the pinkish stone?
Im thinking its a poorer quality ruby and light faded emerald but well see!

Oh and @stracci2000 the ring is actually marked "Italy" so close! It is definetely an interesting find and will be neat to see it in person.

Listings like this one with awful photos are like purchasing a surprise grab bag haha! You never know what you're going to get!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! It does look like jade to me too or even green aventurine but the blue stone looks like a sapphire so those two stones would be an odd partner to it!

Ill post photos of my odd find when it arrives! Also any ideas to the pinkish stone?
Im thinking its a poorer quality ruby and light faded emerald but well see!

Oh and @stracci2000 the ring is actually marked "Italy" so close! It is definetely an interesting find and will be neat to see it in person.

Listings like this one with awful photos are like purchasing a surprise grab bag haha! You never know what you're going to get!
Yes, it's kind of exciting and scary at the same time! It's exciting when you are correct about a piece, in spite of bad photos. It's scary when the piece comes, and you got burned! And I've been burned several times.......:eek2:

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
DH and I packed up the dogs and hit up cideries and antique malls in Ohio and Indiana the past few days.

I got a few things, like this pretty heart box.
20190902_100117.jpg
20190902_100131.jpg
(I'll have to figure out something with the little bit of cardboard and staple)

..... And!!!
20190902_100240.jpg

A Victorian glass box ($80) that I've been wanting. So glad I found one for a reasonable price!

Attachments

• 20190902_100200.jpg
    20190902_100200.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 87

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I packed up the dogs and hit up cideries and antique malls in Ohio and Indiana the past few days.

I got a few things, like this pretty heart box.
20190902_100117.jpg
20190902_100131.jpg
(I'll have to figure out something with the little bit of cardboard and staple)

..... And!!!
20190902_100240.jpg

A Victorian glass box ($80) that I've been wanting. So glad I found one for a reasonable price!
I love this Victorian "casket"! So cool!
I have a few but none as nice as this one!:love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, realized tonight that I read your post about the magnasonic but forgot to respond! :oops:

I'm going to have to get one because your rings look amazing, I'm sure it is much more efficient than Dawn and a toothbrush!

@Ontheblackrock15, love that glass Victorian box!
If you don't mind me asking, you don't happen to live in CT? Your name reminds me of many CT references, Black Rock turnpike, there is a part of a large city here named Black Rock and route 15 is a major parkway here. Just thought I would ask :wavey:

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, realized tonight that I read your post about the magnasonic but forgot to respond! :oops:

I'm going to have to get one because your rings look amazing, I'm sure it is much more efficient than Dawn and a toothbrush!

@Ontheblackrock15, love that glass Victorian box!
If you don't mind me asking, you don't happen to live in CT? Your name reminds me of many CT references, Black Rock turnpike, there is a part of a large city here named Black Rock and route 15 is a major parkway here. Just thought I would ask :wavey:

I currently live in Chicago, IL although I lived in Oahu, Hawaii and Dublin, Ireland before that. I also had stints in London, Boston MA, NH, and western MA before that. We've moved around quite a bit. I've been to CT a few times. The user name itself comes from a long time favorite song.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah okay @Ontheblackrock15 I thought maybe MAYBE I would have another local friend to go antiquing with! You've had quite the adventure, would love to see Ireland!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to an antique shop today and the lady tried to tell me that a meerschaum pipe was ivory.
*Sigh*
This lady didn't know anything about the jewelry in her case. I was educating her. She probably thought I was an annoying know-it-all.
And then I stopped into a pawn shop and another lady tried to tell me that dark blue glass beads were lapis. *Sigh again*
I don't claim to be some sort of expert, but why do I know more than the shop owners?:confused:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly you are in the wrong line of business @stracci2000, how fun would it be to have your own shop?!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey, did you forget? You promised photos!
Pretty please?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results