shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hey, did you forget? You promised photos!
Pretty please?

So....sadly this purchase has been an awful experience.
The ring arrived and while its not amazing it was definetely a good little buy for $70 bucks. Also I was correct, its a sapphire, ruby and very light emerald ring.

Now for the crappy part;

The ring came and the emerald had a complete crack down it vertically, for the entirety of the stone.
I double checked the sellers images and it was definetely not there so I sent her a message with pictures attached explaining and requesting a refund because sadly if it was cracked I wasnt going to wear it and have the stone come out.

What ensued was a storm of a mess. She refused to do a regular return and demanded that I figure it out alone.
So I requested a return on ebay and had to wait to open a case to get my return.
Well I sent one final message that wasnt rude but to the point explaining that she was partly at fault for the stone damage because she sent the ring in a small box with a thin layer of padding in a mailer. It was not wrapped or sent in a ring insert and when the box was moved slightly or picked up, the ring rattled around in it hitting the sides of the box. She also failed to mark it as fragile.
Well....whatever I said worked and she said shed accept a refund. I think it made her realize that she infact had inadequately packaged the ring and was the one who was mostly to blame for the new damage to the emerald.

I waited two days and didn't receive prepaid postage for the return and when I messaged her she said she had sent it, so I checked multiple times and she had not. She was lying and just didnt want to have to lose money and pay an extra 8 dollars.
(Also I have zero problems paying for return postage and think that the customer should during a regular return, but not in this situation. In this situation it falls on the seller.)
When I replied and said that I never received the postage to send the ring back she sent me a lengthy message stating that she thinks I'm a conman and was lying about the break from the beggining (even though its clearly documented with photos from the very first message I sent). She then went on a long tyraid claiming that she had packed it adequately when she had not. At the end of it she just told me to keep the ring and she claimed to have issued a refund also.

Sadly it hasnt been long enough to transfer back into my account so Im still waiting to wash my hands of this mess.

So while it was kind of her to let me keep it I'm left with a ring given to me that has a broken emerald from a woman who thinks I'm a scammer. Lovely. :angryfire:

Not a fun experience :naughty:

Screenshot_2019-09-11-15-27-42~2.png Screenshot_2019-09-11-15-28-02~2.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So....sadly this purchase has been an awful experience.
The ring arrived and while its not amazing it was definetely a good little buy for $70 bucks. Also I was correct, its a sapphire, ruby and very light emerald ring.

Now for the crappy part;

The ring came and the emerald had a complete crack down it vertically, for the entirety of the stone.
I double checked the sellers images and it was definetely not there so I sent her a message with pictures attached explaining and requesting a refund because sadly if it was cracked I wasnt going to wear it and have the stone come out.

What ensued was a storm of a mess. She refused to do a regular return and demanded that I figure it out alone.
So I requested a return on ebay and had to wait to open a case to get my return.
Well I sent one final message that wasnt rude but to the point explaining that she was partly at fault for the stone damage because she sent the ring in a small box with a thin layer of padding in a mailer. It was not wrapped or sent in a ring insert and when the box was moved slightly or picked up, the ring rattled around in it hitting the sides of the box. She also failed to mark it as fragile.
Well....whatever I said worked and she said shed accept a refund. I think it made her realize that she infact had inadequately packaged the ring and was the one who was mostly to blame for the new damage to the emerald.

I waited two days and didn't receive prepaid postage for the return and when I messaged her she said she had sent it, so I checked multiple times and she had not. She was lying and just didnt want to have to lose money and pay an extra 8 dollars.
(Also I have zero problems paying for return postage and think that the customer should during a regular return, but not in this situation. In this situation it falls on the seller.)
When I replied and said that I never received the postage to send the ring back she sent me a lengthy message stating that she thinks I'm a conman and was lying about the break from the beggining (even though its clearly documented with photos from the very first message I sent). She then went on a long tyraid claiming that she had packed it adequately when she had not. At the end of it she just told me to keep the ring and she claimed to have issued a refund also.

Sadly it hasnt been long enough to transfer back into my account so Im still waiting to wash my hands of this mess.

So while it was kind of her to let me keep it I'm left with a ring given to me that has a broken emerald from a woman who thinks I'm a scammer. Lovely. :angryfire:

Not a fun experience :naughty:

Screenshot_2019-09-11-15-27-42~2.png Screenshot_2019-09-11-15-28-02~2.png
Wow, what a mess!
You never know what kind of packaging you are going to get with eBay purchases. Twice I received a ring that was was just tossed in an envelope. Other sellers wrap stuff in lots of bubble wrap and tape. I guess you'll find out soon if the refund is really coming.
Perhaps you can have the emerald replaced.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a nightmare, @TheGarnetGirl. So sorry you had to experience that.

mina78

Rough_Rock
Here's a pin I picked up a couple of days ago for £4, it's unmarked but has been confirmed as 15ct gold with sapphires, rose cut diamonds, and pearls:

83q0znvsv5n31.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a nightmare, @TheGarnetGirl. So sorry you had to experience that.

Thank you.

It was just sad that it came down to that.
Fortunately her return went through and after it did I left feedback stating the truth; That the stone came cracked and was packaged inadequately and that sadly the seller was rude. Just today I received a request to revise my feedback and attached was a message attacking me further.

If she had just stated that she was sorry for implying that I was a scammer or theif (even saying that we still disagree on other factors), then I would have easily revised my review in a second but she didn't. She blamed me further. Sadly she has zero tact or foresight.
I also looked closer at her rating and she had a 100 but now has a 95 due to my review but all of the other reviews are of her as a buyer, not a seller. Hopefully prospective buyers understand that she may package delicate items inadequately and wont stand behind her packing.

Anyways, thank you guys for the support but Im so darn ready to move on from this mess!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.

Fortunately her return went through and after it did I left feedback stating the truth; That the stone came cracked and was packaged inadequately and that sadly the seller was rude. Just today I received a request to revise my feedback and attached was a message attacking me further.

If she had just stated that she was sorry for implying that I was a scammer or theif (even saying that we still disagree on other factors), then I would have easily revised my review in a second but she didn't. She blamed me further. Sadly she has zero tact or foresight.
I also looked closer at her rating and she had a 100 but now has a 95 due to my review but all of the other reviews are of her as a buyer, not a seller. Hopefully prospective buyers understand that she may package delicate items inadequately and wont stand behind her packing.

Anyways, thank you guys for the support but Im so darn ready to move on from this mess!

I’m glad you got your money back. The seller really doesn’t know how to be persuasive... :roll2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I’m glad you got your money back. The seller really doesn’t know how to be persuasive... :roll2:

Yep. The whole thing was very, very odd.
She either just had zero tact or didn't care and thought blaming me and making demands would work?!
Very odd experience and honestly my first truly poor one on EBay after making close to 100 purchases.
I have zero regrets about my honest feedback after her last message. :wall:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. The whole thing was very, very odd.
She either just had zero tact or didn't care and thought blaming me and making demands would work?!
Very odd experience and honestly my first truly poor one on EBay after making close to 100 purchases.
I have zero regrets about my honest feedback after her last message. :wall:
Sorry GarnetGirl. I’ve got almost 1600 eBay purchases under my belt and have had surprisingly few issues. I avoid dealing with sellers with less than 50 feedback and previous sales of “quality” items. While as a buyer eBay has your back, it’s not a pleasant experience dealing with nasty/ unreasonable sellers. And some sellers / people have no idea that customer service is important. It’s important to get good feedback if you’re an eBay seller and even when things go bad, if the seller works with the buyer it can usually be worked out. It’s also bad a seller to get a “case started” against them. It only takes 3 pings and eBay can suspend selling privileges.
Better buying next time!

mina78

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

These situations are unfortunate for both buyer and seller. By no means am I claiming that you did this but it's important to understand that some malicious individuals will experience buyers remorse and purposely damage an item that they have purchased from an Ebay seller in order to claim an INAD or 'item damaged in transit' return, so this must be going through the sellers mind. It's also possible that a buyer may accidentally damage an item soon after receiving it and then claim an INAD return, which is equally unethical. From reading your posts it seems that the seller hasn't acted very professionally either way, but if it's their first (and likely last) sale as an Ebay seller this is somewhat understandable.

It does seem strange that a ring placed in a cardboard box with wool during transit can experience this kind of damage, but perhaps the stone already had a natural internal fissure that only required a small force to cause it to fully disintegrate?

I think the right thing to do would be to either try to return this damaged ring to the seller (did they include a return address on the back of the original packaging?), or make a Paypal payment to the seller for an amount you feel the ring is now worth in its damaged condition.

To keep the ring while also receiving a refund would be unethical in my honest opinion, no matter the circumstances or the sellers behaviour.

In terms of giving the seller negative feedback after a full refund was given (albeit reluctantly) I must admit this seems a little heavy handed, surely a neutral would have been more appropriate? Keep in mind that sellers can now see that you have provided negative feedback (via 'feedback left for others') to a fellow seller and may be less willing to sell to you in situations where you make a 'best offer' and the seller has discretion as to whether to accept it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
These situations are unfortunate for both buyer and seller. By no means am I claiming that you did this but it's important to understand that some malicious individuals will experience buyers remorse and purposely damage an item that they have purchased from an Ebay seller in order to claim an INAD or 'item damaged in transit' return, so this must be going through the sellers mind. It's also possible that a buyer may accidentally damage an item soon after receiving it and then claim an INAD return, which is equally unethical. From reading your posts it seems that the seller hasn't acted very professionally either way, but if it's their first (and likely last) sale as an Ebay seller this is somewhat understandable.

It does seem strange that a ring placed in a cardboard box with wool during transit can experience this kind of damage, but perhaps the stone already had a natural internal fissure that only required a small force to cause it to fully disintegrate?

I think the right thing to do would be to either try to return this damaged ring to the seller (did they include a return address on the back of the original packaging?), or make a Paypal payment to the seller for an amount you feel the ring is now worth in its damaged condition.

To keep the ring while also receiving a refund would be unethical in my honest opinion, no matter the circumstances or the sellers behaviour.

In terms of giving the seller negative feedback after a full refund was given (albeit reluctantly) I must admit this seems a little heavy handed, surely a neutral would have been more appropriate? Keep in mind that sellers can now see that you have provided negative feedback (via 'feedback left for others') to a fellow seller and may be less willing to sell to you in situations where you make a 'best offer' and the seller has discretion as to whether to accept it.

I totally understand what youre trying to say but from my point of view I purchased a ring that arrived damaged and when I kindly messaged the seller within minutes of opening it and requested a return including pictures in full view of the damage, I received a cold and callouse response basically telling me to take it up with ebay and that she would be of no help to me.
Hopefully you don't consider that good customer service?

The ring which held an older emerald was packaged poorly. I would never consider a small box with a thin layer leaving room for it to move around, as adequate. Sadly, whether or not you believe it can happen, it did and as an honest buyer all I wanted was to return the ring. The ring would have been a good deal at the price but now with one stone damaged I am worried to wear it.
I am scared that the stone would futher crack and fall out. It isn't viable.

I also understand what youre saying but youre missing a few things here; by being a seller you accept responsibility where its due and have a duty to provide adequate customer service. Also because some awful people with zero empathy do those things should they ruin it for those of us that genuinely had an item arrive damaged and are now left without an option of return?

You state in the beginning that these situations are unfortunate for both and that youre not blaming me but then thats what you go on to do. What you've failed to understand is that shes done this to herself and has created this situation that turned out unfavorably for both by not properly protecting the ring and by being rude to me from start to finish.
You putting the blame back on me and saying I shouldnt have been truthful in my review by sharing and warning others of the poor experience or that I should send the ring back is actually absurd to me.

I wanted nothing more than to return the ring but after her telling me to keep it and her being nothing but rude why would I?
Im one of the kindest people you could ever run into and am empathetic to a fault but thats one lesson I've learned; You can only do or say so much to an unreasonable person.
I also will not tolerate being called names or being pushed around unfairly.
I will be the nicest person until youre rude to me and show me that you cannot communicate amicably or logically.
& Yes her actions if only those were written down were kind (refunding me and letting me keep the ring) but when you add in the fact that I had to basically force her to get that refund and add in her tone and language she was anything but kind.

So no, to me, her actions are not understandable as you said.
& Im sure if you were on the other side of the coin in my place you wouldnt be very happy with being treated the same either.

Last edited:

mina78

Rough_Rock
I think it's important to state that I'm not taking anyones side here, I don't know you and I don't know the seller, neither have I read the correspondence between you both during this transaction or know the intimate details of this case, I'm merely an impartial bystander. You're clearly still very upset over this incident, which is noticeable from the tone of your reply.

I have vast experience on both sides of the fence in these types of situations, and one thing I've learnt over the years is that you mustn't allow yourself to be drawn in, or baited by the other persons comments and language. As a buyer you have absolutely no risk of loss, as Ebay has a very strict money back guarantee, so once the seller became difficult you should have removed yourself from any discussion and escalated the return after the necessary amount of time had passed, to allow an Ebay representative to step in. Perhaps this is exactly what you did? If so I'm clearly preaching to the choir.

Now that the dust has settled I still believe you should do the right thing and either return the ring at your own expense, or make a payment of its current value. However this is only my personal opinion, and perhaps the majority of others here feel differently?

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to have the patience of a flea, the spinel ring is at the jewelers getting sized, should have it back next week :cool2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long time, no post! Today we went to a church fair and I found these. DH thinks they are repro since we haven't found exact examples. Any Steiff experts? IMG_6840.JPG IMG_6841.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6842.JPG

The bear with the crown is not Steiff, some sort of Ferrari bear

Attachments

• IMG_6843.JPG
    IMG_6843.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6842.JPG

The bear with the crown is not Steiff, some sort of Ferrari bear

Wow, these are so sweet! I don't know anything about Steiff bears.
I'm sure you will find lots of info online to help identify them.
My neighbor has a few Steiffs, as he is a toy collector. His house is like a crazy museum!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Post more pics of your finds! I am moving to a small 1 bdrm apartment with my husband today and have had to downsize a lot :( some of my recent finds have even had to go in the donation box. So I'm bummed, no antiquing for me for a while since I wont have anywhere to put it. Let me live vicariously through all of you! ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, DH joined a collectors group on FB so maybe they can helped us. I'm just genuinely curious, didn't pay much for them ($10 for a whole box of these plus a bunch of other random stuffed animals) so even if they aren't the real deal not out a lot of money.

@Rubymal, I do hope there will be more posts, it's fun to see what treasures folks find. This lot was an exception because I am not doing much spending since closing my Etsy shop, finding out I couldn't handle third shift for a recent job and no spend November.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long time, no post!
Since the weather changed, there are no yard sales happening. So I dont have too many exciting items to post.
A few weeks ago I found this antique Gorham crystal and sterling powder dish at a thrift store. Dating around 1900, it is really nice. A bargain at $2.00! If they knew it was solid sterling, they would have wanted much more for it, I'm sure. Sorry the photo is blasted out, but it was really hard to photograph.
And today I bought a book at my vintage mall. "Tiffany in Fashion". Lots of great photos.
IMG_20191124_162023045.jpg IMG_20191124_161136509.jpg IMG_20191124_160913492.jpg
IMG_20191124_160823016.jpg IMG_20191124_160726737.jpg IMG_20191124_160704967.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this amazing piece at a local thrift store.
I am so in love with it! I can't wait to wear it. Signed by Grady Alexander, a local artist.
Yes, it's big and bold and so New Mexican! It is evocative of Mexican tin work, but made of sterling.
And who doesn't love Frida Kahlo, the famous Mexican painter? With amethyst, garnet and peach moonstones. Frida is set under a crystal.
I know that @bluegems and @TheGarnetGirl will both "get" this piece.
I might make a tiny easel so I can display it on my desk even when I'm not wearing it.
IMG_20191126_073005825.jpg IMG_20191126_072936665.jpg IMG_20191126_071316417.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this amazing piece at a local thrift store.
I am so in love with it! I can't wait to wear it. Signed by Grady Alexander, a local artist.
Yes, it's big and bold and so New Mexican! It is evocative of Mexican tin work, but made of sterling.
And who doesn't love Frida Kahlo, the famous Mexican painter? With amethyst, garnet and peach moonstones. Frida is set under a crystal.
I know that @bluegems and @TheGarnetGirl will both "get" this piece.
I might make a tiny easel so I can display it on my desk even when I'm not wearing it.
IMG_20191126_073005825.jpg IMG_20191126_072936665.jpg IMG_20191126_071316417.jpg

I meant @Bluegemz !! (sorry, misspelled your name)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in addition to the giant sterling pin posted above, I got these other things last weekend.
This pendant is another cool art piece. Sterling and brass with carved bone, amethyst and garnet, with a photo under glass. I know it's not everybody's taste, but I do love strange and unique things!
IMG_20191130_075836037.jpg
And I couldn't live without this stained glass window hanging. It has a nautilus shell set into the center. I bought this from the artist at an art show.
IMG_20191124_102822888.jpg IMG_20191130_075553997.jpg
And this ring was from the local Gem and Mineral show. 14k with an Andamooka opal. It weighs 4.3 grams and I got it for a song.
IMG_20191130_080446830.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 oh my gosh that eye is scary!! The pendant is cool but I would have to replace the picture.

Can I just say that I love how your cat is looking at that stained glass piece you got. Definitely need to add that to the furbaby thread.

I've gone to a couple of mineral shows but never see anything like that ring you bought, so pretty!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 oh my gosh that eye is scary!! The pendant is cool but I would have to replace the picture.

Can I just say that I love how your cat is looking at that stained glass piece you got. Definitely need to add that to the furbaby thread.

I've gone to a couple of mineral shows but never see anything like that ring you bought, so pretty!

Haha! I already replaced the picture!
I found this necklace at a thrift store, go figure. It originally had a section of type from a book, with the words "I love you to the moon" or something like that.
I hate sappy stuff and I wanted something more edgy. So I took it apart and put an eye in there.
Now if I tell you it is really Elizabeth Taylor's eye, does it still seem scary???? :lol:
'Cause you know how much she liked jewelry and maybe she would think this is funny.....!
I was going for a Victorian kind of eye. Like in Victorian Lover's jewelry, but because the glass has bubbles in it, I needed something more graphic. Liz's eye fit the bill !!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somehow knowing that is Liz Taylor's eye does make it less creepy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few things I found in the thrift shops this week.
Two plates, Royal Worcester, dating to 1926
IMG_20191212_060407290.jpg IMG_20191212_055700057.jpg

And this Gorham sterling dish was mixed in with all the junky plated stuff.
A bargain at $1
IMG_20191212_054406283.jpg
And this fun find, a cool boulder opal in a sterling wire wrapped setting.
The tag said "Brown stone pendant $5.00" --- Score!
IMG_20191212_092021536.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, Oh love those plates, the pattern on them is so pretty. Kind of amazed that you find sterling so often, it must be drawn to you because I hardly ever find any.

Like that "brown stone pendant" too, amazing the things you can find at thrift shops!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results