shape
carat
color
clarity

Who to go to for a temporary setting?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Hello friends!

I have a adorable .56 D OEC that's been sitting loose in a box for months. I have big plans for this little gal, but those plans are +$4k and out of my budget for right now. I hate to see her laying around unloved. I want to set her in the most simple, inexpensive ring setting I can until I can afford the big bucks to get her in a permanent home.

My question is, who would you trust, and who wouldn't break the bank to have her set? I was quoted $870 for a simple 4 prong martini setting, yikes.
I've scoured Loop Troupe but don't trust that she would fit any of those settings. Then that begs the question of finding a jewelry who would set her if I thought a setting fro LT. Heck at this point I would even go for a Stirling silver setting.
After a horrible Etsy experience where a seller stole 15+ of my stones, took my money, closed her shop and went MIA, I am hesitant to use Etsy again. I've found some reasonable settings with Ivy and Rose, but I know there's gotta be more folks out there.

Thoughts?

Awful picture for bling tax :)

IMG_7076 copy.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what you are saying is that you don’t have access to affordable local jewelry? Even if you find a setting on eBay, who will set it for you?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that you want to take her out and about in the mean time

Thats really awful about that esty seller - no wonder you feel burned

Good luck and i hope you can get a setting no problem and set from a local jewler

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I applaud this. Silver is great and furthermore, second hand silver is even better for temporary settings.

One trick is to look for a sterling/cz piece that was the same millimeter size as your stone, and swap your diamond into it (claws, not bezel) until you can afford your dream setting.

Alternatively, your stone might fit beautifully into a 14k/18k gold stud earring mount that you could have a local jeweller set for you, just add a loop on top with a bale for use as a pendant. Not exorbitant in cost, but not cheap-looking either. A great solution to the temporary problem. Good luck!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an idea. But a fake from Berricle, if you can find one right for a .5 carat stone, and then take it to a local jeweler and swap the stones. Berricle's sterling silver settings are very well made. I use them as testers all the time.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know there are some really slimy vendors out there. I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience.

I know you are nervous about Etsy - but I have used Daniel M for this very purpose. He is fast, super communicative, and has been happily used by tons of PS members. I did exactly what you did - I had a sapphire laying around, expensive setting plans - and I got it set in a silver gypsy style ring (w/ 14k gold details) for $225.

I would put that pretty OEC in a silver bezel pendant with milgrain, with a cute silver chain. Or, get a white gold chain if you'd use it, and rhodium plate them both if you are crazy sensitive to color differences. I don't even think gold would be too expensive either - his prices are very reasonable.

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
Stuller has a Jeweler Showcase feature on their website where you can shop their settings at local stores and it shows prices (changes based on metal, stone size and ring size, so be sure to set those accurately). I used that to get a sense of prices and compare between local jewelers when I needed an inexpensive solitaire setting recently.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I know it's etsy but I highly recommend Daniel M jewelry. He's currently working on a 4th project for me & I love them all. He's been great to work with & affordable.

@Sprinkles&Stones Another vote for Daniel M here. So reasonable and a pleasure to work with!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuller has a Jeweler Showcase feature on their website where you can shop their settings at local stores and it shows prices (changes based on metal, stone size and ring size, so be sure to set those accurately). I used that to get a sense of prices and compare between local jewelers when I needed an inexpensive solitaire setting recently.

Can you provide the link, please.

Stuller's has lots of pulldowns and I couldnt find it anywhere!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second the above suggestion of looking for a mounting at www.stuller.com and then buying it and having it set at a local jeweler. They're nearly everywhere and nearly all of them have an account with Stuller (who won't sell to you directly).

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Daniel M can have spotty communication. He dropped out of communication with me fully. I would go the Stuller route.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
So what you are saying is that you don’t have access to affordable local jewelry? Even if you find a setting on eBay, who will set it for you?

Right! I don't visit a lot of brick and mortar stores, and I'm concerned that if I buy something off Etsy or Ebay 1) what if it doesn't fit well and 2) who would I get to set it? Local jewelers here are wary of setting a stone that wasn't from them, into a setting that also wasn't from them,

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I applaud this. Silver is great and furthermore, second hand silver is even better for temporary settings.

One trick is to look for a sterling/cz piece that was the same millimeter size as your stone, and swap your diamond into it (claws, not bezel) until you can afford your dream setting.

Alternatively, your stone might fit beautifully into a 14k/18k gold stud earring mount that you could have a local jeweller set for you, just add a loop on top with a bale for use as a pendant. Not exorbitant in cost, but not cheap-looking either. A great solution to the temporary problem. Good luck!

Wow that's a fantastic idea I never thought of!!! thank you!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I know it's etsy but I highly recommend Daniel M jewelry. He's currently working on a 4th project for me & I love them all. He's been great to work with & affordable.

I will take all recommendations! Especially from PS's who have rapport with jewelers. Thank you!!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much!!! You are all so helpful and I appreciate it! <3

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Can you provide the link, please.

Stuller's has lots of pulldowns and I couldnt find it anywhere!

Go to “Locate a Jeweler,” then enter in a zip code and scroll until you see a jeweler with a showcase option.

5E03BC70-802C-4E4C-A0BA-F31D8B5955DF.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Daniel M can have spotty communication. He dropped out of communication with me fully. I would go the Stuller route.

That is super good to know and I am sorry to hear about that. You seem to have had some cool projects w/ him.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t have any advice on this except I’m going to check out Daniel M myself after the glowing recommendations. I am just curious so what is the dream setting? :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That is super good to know and I am sorry to hear about that. You seem to have had some cool projects w/ him.

He was going to do the work on a suite of aquamarines for my mom. I ended up having to buy her something else for Christmas because he just went silent. I need to find someone else to set them, but I don't want to pay a premium, so I'll have to keep looking. Maybe he just didn't like the project. Who knows why, right?!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
He was going to do the work on a suite of aquamarines for my mom. I ended up having to buy her something else for Christmas because he just went silent. I need to find someone else to set them, but I don't want to pay a premium, so I'll have to keep looking. Maybe he just didn't like the project. Who knows why, right?!

Totally sucks! Hope you find someone soon. DK is reasonable but definitely not as much as Daniel M...

Hope you find someone soon

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also I meant to add that your story about Etsy so awful and I’m so sorry that happened!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

That is so bizarre especially if you had done prior things with him.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have any advice on this except I’m going to check out Daniel M myself after the glowing recommendations. I am just curious so what is the dream setting? :)

Oooo yes @Mreader !! I want to do a calibre/French cut sapphire Art Deco halo, in platinum with side diamonds and a ornate gallery! This is an idea of my dream setting... but something like this is soooo pricey and I just don't have the bling budget right now unfortunately.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 5.06.11 PM.png

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I reached out to Ivy and Rose and they had a cute little setting that will fit my diamond perfectly. They're going to add claw prongs and set my diamond, it will be ready in about 3.5 weeks. Stay tuned for pictures!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah! I moved to this area about 2 years ago, and then COVID hit and I haven't established a local jewelry. Sad face :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results