carat
color
clarity

Whiter stone

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do your
I think both are fine. The 55.9 is really close to 56, so I wouldn't eliminate it. I'd have them take that same face up photo like the others. See if one is whiter than the other since a borderline G-H is going to look whiter than an H-I. And if you are paying for a color upgrade, I'd want a mid to high H.

(I'll say for myself, I'd choose H VS1 because I think that size would be big enough for me and I like high clarity, too. But honestly, for someone who wants size, the other is a good deal.)

Do your daughters express preference in size? 2.8 could be too big unless DD is anything like me, lol.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think both are fine. The 55.9 is really close to 56, so I wouldn't eliminate it. I'd have them take that same face up photo like the others. See if one is whiter than the other since a borderline G-H is going to look whiter than an H-I. And if you are paying for a color upgrade, I'd want a mid to high H.

(I'll say for myself, I'd choose H VS1 because I think that size would be big enough for me and I like high clarity, too. But honestly, for someone who wants size, the other is a good deal.)

Also as a fellow Asscher lover, my sister who has a 3ct D SI1 Asscher said that 5 years ago she would’ve chosen the 2.8 but now she would lean toward a VS1.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
865B5EE5-5FF7-4AF4-8071-C9BA1004EC7E.jpeg

What’s with those streaks?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input, ladies. The person who reserved the 2.8 I SI1 is me. If you look at the cert, it’s new inventory. :)

@MissGotRocks the 2.5 G is not eye clean enough. I’ve already inquired about it as well as the larger H stones. @ac117 My wonderful rep said the 2.6 I SI1 isn’t that much whiter than my J so I’ve asked her to compare the 2.8 I SI1 to see if it’s whiter. Does the video look super tinted to you? I had a gorgeous 2.3 I SI1 and it was fine at the time but it WAS warmer than my GIA H especially in rose gold.

i think that 2.8 sounds magnificent, actually. in my opinion, it's the best overall deal of the bunch.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.56 H VS1. If you're going to get that quality diamond, you want the clarity to be in line with its other stats. I don't think 57 vs 56 makes much difference to the table - I think the LGF % is more important, and it's 77% on both stones. The 2.56 just appears more crisp to me and more visually balanced. If the choice were mine, it's the one I'd choose for myself.

But having said that - they're both lovely stones. Have you ever thought about a 3 stone, with pear sides? 2.5ct is the *perfect* size for that style of ring. Would look stunning on your hand, and Victor Canera does an amazing version of that style (I've owned one, so I know this for a fact!).

Just a suggestion, and would more than make up for the drop in size. As I've grown older and collected more and more diamonds, I've realized that clarity *is* important to me. I don't just want stones that look clean - I want quality diamonds that *are* clean, and I find a VS2 not mentally clean enough these days. But, speaking as someone who once owned an ACA H VS1, I can tell you right now - it's the stone I wish I'd kept. It was a raging beauty, and I have to think this one would be the same.

Good luck with your choice, TweetyBird - you're awash with fabulous options!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the esteemed opinions, beloved Pricescopers. I didn’t anticipate COVID-19 turning our world upside down when I decided to upgrade my K to a J earlier this month. This forum has been a welcome diversion from being cooped up all day homeschooling a little one and reading the barrage of horrific headlines. I hope everyone is staying safe, healthy and sane (although I probably lost the latter already)!!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it normal for the hearts and arrows to look crooked? Is it the photography? I thought they were supposed to be symmetrical.

A8229E1A-EFCA-4BCB-B79E-3CDDD3B610B4.jpeg

... I would never rule out a 3 stone, @mrs-b! I know how much you adored your stunning Merry ring!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thoughts?
I'm in the G/H VS camp. I don't mind switching back and forth b/t G/H color. My first 2 MRB was H VS1 and my current one is G VS1. IMO, H VS2 is a good combo.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts or preference between these two? WF is comparing them although I wouldn’t ship anything until things settle down. @ac117 @diamondseeker2006 @mrs-b @SimoneDi

The 2.56 H VS1 seems to be a more beautiful stone, but it is smaller. Otherwise, it seems to be priced lower than an H/VS2, so it provides a good value. The 2.8 seems to me to have some graining (the lines that you pointed) but I don’t see that in the report, so it could also be a cloud reflection. Bottom line is that I think that you will eventually want to upgrade again and get to a 2.8-2.9 H VS, so what will make you happier in the meantime? I would ask WF once life is back to semi-normal if they can take a simple video for you with the two stones on someone’s hand, see where your eyes go and go with that stone. Good luck.

ETA: I am throwing in one more suggestion. I know that some will discriminate against this stone, but it might be what will satisfy your wants - it’s an H, it’s large and seems close to budget and irl there might be little to no difference in performance - https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4193660.htm

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 2.56 H VS1 seems to be a more beautiful stone, but it is smaller. Otherwise, it seems to be priced lower than an H/VS2, so it provides a good value. The 2.8 seems to me to have some graining (the lines that you pointed) but I don’t see that in the report, so it could also be a cloud reflection. Bottom line is that I think that you will eventually want to upgrade again and get to a 2.8-2.9 H VS, so what will make you happier in the meantime? I would ask WF once life is back to semi-normal if they can take a simple video for you with the two stones on someone’s hand, see where your eyes go and go with that stone. Good luck.

ETA: I am throwing in one more suggestion. I know that some will discriminate against this stone, but it might be what will satisfy your wants - it’s an H, it’s large and seems close to budget and irl there might be little to no difference in performance - https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4193660.htm

You’re spot on, Simone. Thank you for looking into the options down to the lab reports. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate someone who gets me and knows diamonds! I’ve inquired about the ES 3.024 H SI1 before when comparing 5 stones and it was one of the ones recommended although WF they said there is light leakage around the table that impacts the crispness of the diamond. Is it a make or break tho?

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re spot on, Simone. Thank you for looking into the options down to the lab reports. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate someone who gets me and knows diamonds! I’ve inquired about the ES 3.024 H SI1 before when comparing 5 stones and it was one of the ones recommended although WF they said there is light leakage around the table that impacts the crispness of the diamond. Is it a make or break tho?

My pleasure, that’s what this community is all about. Ehhh about the 3.024 H SI1, I am not sure if the slight leakage is a break it kind of thing for you. I know that I would be veryyy tempted to see it irl before ruling it out. If this was JA, they would call it TH because of the AGS report and computer generated ASET. And a similar ACA will probably be in the $40K range. I personally also love the high crown. But again, this is not for me, it’s for you, think about what you are willing to compromise on presuming you want to keep the next stone for more than 5mins jk :) but really, consider your options and what you truly want.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My pleasure, that’s what this community is all about. Ehhh about the 3.024 H SI1, I am not sure if the slight leakage is a break it kind of thing for you. I know that I would be veryyy tempted to see it irl before ruling it out. If this was JA, they would call it TH because of the AGS report and computer generated ASET. And a similar ACA will probably be in the $40K range. I personally also love the high crown. But again, this is not for me, it’s for you, think about what you are willing to compromise on presuming you want to keep the next stone for more than 5mins jk :) but really, consider your options and what you truly want.

Omg DF’s thread inquiring about how many times PSers have upgraded had me do inventory. I started with an uncerted .5 G SI2 mrb (which I traded from a .3 mrb) and have since upgraded 5 times in 6 years. Dudeeee.

What can I say - I love big, white, shiny rocks! It would be amazing if WF had emerald cuts!

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg DF’s thread inquiring about how many times PSers have upgraded had me do inventory. I started with an uncerted .5 G SI2 mrb (which I traded from a .3 mrb) and have since upgraded 6 times in 6 years. Dudeeee.

What can I say - I love big, white, shiny rocks! It would be amazing if WF had emerald cuts!

It’s totally ok! I have also gone through 6 diamonds for my e-ring and have purchased other ah hoc ones. No shame! But the novelty of upgrading wears off a bit after a while, at least it has for me (for now that is :). I’d ask to see a video of that 3ct H, it looks very tempting to me.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s totally ok! I have also gone through 6 diamonds for my e-ring and have purchased other ah hoc ones. No shame! But the novelty of upgrading wears off a bit after a while, at least it has for me (for now that is :). I’d ask to see a video of that 3ct H, it looks very tempting to me.

What! You, too? Care to share some of the specs of your previous stones before landing on your perfect 3 stone? I know you own(ed) K’s as well.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TweetyBird23 Like others, I too prefer the 2.56 H VS1 over the 2.8 H SI1. The 2.56 images look brighter and whiter to me which could be the slightly larger table/shallower crown combination which will also give you a bit larger spread. Overall, I think it's a great choice of going up in color and not sacrificing tooooo much in size, not to mention completely eye (and mind) clean.

I will say that I agree with someone who said you might be chasing your tail if the culprit of the tint is your light bulbs!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What! You, too? Care to share some of the specs of your previous stones before landing on your perfect 3 stone? I know you own(ed) K’s as well.

Sure, let me see if I remember all..also, grab a chair.

1. Started with a 0.68 H VS1 - loved that stone, it was very white (to me) and just perfect. It was a 60-60 stone as well. My original e-ring was stolen along with my original wedding band and off down the rabbit hole I went.

2. 1.5 J SI2 BGD Cushion - I have always adored cushions and so this was a natural choice for me at the time. I had this stone set in a simple solitaire and wore it for a little over a year.

3. 1.1 K VS1 VSB round - I acquired this this stone while I still owned my 1.5 J cushion, I had a bunch of ideas to reset both stones as LHR and RHR, but once I saw stone #4, I scratched them all and went for a one-ring upgrade.

4. 1.8 J VS2 SB - At the time, I thought that this stone will be the one to end all upgrades (lol). It was a beautiful diamond, but I never really loved it. I then saw #5 diamond show up in BGDs inventory and so the next upgrade happened.

5. 2.1 I SI2 - I really liked this stone, it was whiter, larger and that is the stone that I set into a 3 stone setting. After about a year of nightmares with a vendor that I won’t name and don’t care to elaborate on, this stone needed to be replaced.

6. 2.1 I VS2 - this is the diamond that I currently own. To me, it’s white enough, mind-clean enough, etc. and I feel content with it. I have had it for over a year now and am still enjoying it and don’t have plans to upgrade in the near future, not because there aren’t better, whiter, larger diamonds but because I am simply tired of the process and there are other things that I would like to focus on. :)

So, that’s the not-so-short summary. Not sure if helpful, but there isn’t a right or wrong way to do this, I am sure that you will figure out what’s best for you in the end.

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I asked WF to assess which stone is whiter in person.

2.563ct H VS1 vs. 2.817ct H SI1 A CUT ABOVE diamonds:
2.817ct H SI1 vs. 3.024ct H SI1 A CUT ABOVE diamonds:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked WF to assess which stone is whiter in person.

2.563ct H VS1 vs. 2.817ct H SI1 A CUT ABOVE diamonds:
2.817ct H SI1 vs. 3.024ct H SI1 A CUT ABOVE diamonds:

Pretty! What are your thoughts? Can they also do a video of the 2.5ct next to the 3ct?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So from an in person perspective, what were their thoughts?

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sure, let me see if I remember all..also, grab a chair.

1. Started with a 0.68 H VS1 - loved that stone, it was very white (to me) and just perfect. It was a 60-60 stone as well. My original e-ring was stolen along with my original wedding band and off down the rabbit hole I went.

2. 1.5 J SI2 BGD Cushion - I have always adored cushions and so this was a natural choice for me at the time. I had this stone set in a simple solitaire and wore it for a little over a year.

3. 1.1 K VS1 VSB round - I acquired this this stone while I still owned my 1.5 J cushion, I had a bunch of ideas to reset both stones as LHR and RHR, but once I saw stone #4, I scratched them all and went for a one-ring upgrade.

4. 1.8 J VS2 SB - At the time, I thought that this stone will be the one to end all upgrades (lol). It was a beautiful diamond, but I never really loved it. I then saw #5 diamond show up in BGDs inventory and so the next upgrade happened.

5. 2.1 I SI2 - I really liked this stone, it was whiter, larger and that is the stone that I set into a 3 stone setting. After about a year of nightmares with a vendor that I won’t name and don’t care to elaborate on, this stone needed to be replaced.

6. 2.1 I VS2 - this is the diamond that I currently own. To me, it’s white enough, mind-clean enough, etc. and I feel content with it. I have had it for over a year now and am still enjoying it and don’t have plans to upgrade in the near future, not because there aren’t better, whiter, larger diamonds but because I am simply tired of the process and there are other things that I would like to focus on. :)

So, that’s the not-so-short summary. Not sure if helpful, but there isn’t a right or wrong way to do this, I am sure that you will figure out what’s best for you in the end.
I loved reading about your diamond journey, SimoneDi! Is your latest in the same three stone setting? :)

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure. I like the specs of the 2.5 but my eye gravitates to the biggest one in each video. I like the 2.8’s puffy crown. My wonderful consultant said the 3.024ct H SI1 would be a great option if you are looking to maximize size and color within that price point. While it is not an A CUT ABOVE diamond and does have light leakage, it is still a very high quality AGS ideal cut and could be a great option!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts when you watch the video?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts when you watch the video?
I only don’t love the 2.8, I would want to see a video between the 2.5 and 3ct ones before making a decision if I were you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do your

Do your daughters express preference in size? 2.8 could be too big unless DD is anything like me, lol.

My daughters have been in the back of my mind on every upgrade! Honestly, in their world, no one has an e-ring of over a carat or so. So it has been hard for me to even be over 2 cts knowing that my rings will be such a huge price jump for them! They both are happy to have my rings, don't get me wrong! The 2.3 AVR and 2.7 antique asscher have around the same visual size, so they'd each be getting a roughly equivalent ring. I honestly would not go to a 2.8 for myself because they'd end up just selling it, probably! Nothing wrong with that, really, but in my social circle, even with people who have greater wealth just don't spend their money on jewelry. I don't care to stand out to an extreme degree, and I am finally comfortable with what I have. If I had to do it over, I think I would have stopped with smaller stones that would fit better with their lifestyles. They actually love my Beaudry asscher ring the most, because they love the ring as a whole even though it only has a 1 ct asscher.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I think all 4 stones in the videos look just fine. I still think it goes back to your priorities for specs! I know I'd love the 2.5 H VS1 for myself! But again, I think they all look great and would want them to look at the still, face-up shot to see if any are visibly whiter than the others.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I only don’t love the 2.8, I would want to see a video between the 2.5 and 3ct ones before making a decision if I were you.

Waiting for their in person analysis. :)

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was fine with the 2.3 I SI1 although would have loved something a little bigger and a smidge whiter. I wanted BIG so I went for the 2.9 K VS2. It was big, crisp and beautiful but the tint bothered me. The 2.88 is the same large size with a 3 carat spread but I'm obviously not in love with it. Surely there is a combination of specs where I can be at peace for a minute!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was fine with the 2.3 I SI1 although would have loved something a little bigger and a smidge whiter. I wanted BIG so I went for the 2.9 K VS2. It was big, crisp and beautiful but the tint bothered me. The 2.88 is the same large size with a 3 carat spread but I'm obviously not in love with it. Surely there is a combination of specs where I can be at peace for a minute!

The 2.56 H VS1 fits your initial bill of a little bigger and a smidge whiter. I like the 3.02 that Simone suggested but that puts you over $34k if you're unhappy with it...only you know whether that's acceptable or not.

The additional money is a slippery slope...this one is just a bit more than the 3.02 but where does it end? https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4193182.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results