ann mackay or jbeg?

• 1) ann mackay in 18 k yellow gold

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • 2) JbEG 'lisa' setting in 18k unplated white gold w/blue sapphs

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 3) JbEG 'lisa' setting in 18k uplated white gold with all diamonds

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
Gypsy - wow, you're good! you are either psychic or you really, really pay attention! i am surprised you know my style so well, and that i tend towards less fussy designs (for myself, love them for others!). but what killed me was that i have considered EVERY ONE of the rings you posted - going back to them multiple times!! damn girl! :)) i do really like that AM you posted - but i'm not sure it would be comfortable on my finger as i've got a nice pocket o' pudge on the finger i intend to wear it on - a slimmer band will slip below it, but that design might sit right around it and highlight it. but yeah, it's beautiful and would showcase the diamond perfectly. and then the last sholdt with the diamonds - actually, this one i considered in the plain version (budget constraints)... i'm just not sure i love how the prongs sort of stick up. and finally, your favorite sholdt - yeah, i love that one too! nice fluid lines, and the diamond is, well, pretty much naked which i love for this diamond. it feels more secure than the other four prong sholdt i posted, and it's just as pretty. hmmmm..... yeah i think i want to consider that one a little more. in a white metal, though, right? or could it be pretty in the YG too, do you think?

oh and goodness, insensitive? no way! i personally like thread jacks as it's the spice of life IMO, but i didn't want to cause trouble with someone who seemed to clearly feel differently... i figured we'd find a way to catch up eventually! :)) i am so sorry to hear that you've had a setback and what looks to be on the horizon. i am sending some dust your way in the hopes that the last ditch effort works, and that you find some strength to continue facing this. i hope you have some good support around you? the decorating can be a nice distraction... except when it's frustrating (so been there!). i'll look for your artwork post, that would be fun!

things are good in my neck o' the woods. kids are keeping me very busy, nothing new there! we finally got around to hiring a painter to do some rooms inside... which led to painting all the rooms inside... which led to my own decorating explosion... which led to my own decorating meltdowns, lol. i came through it though! and i discovered that we have some awesome antique and consignment stores in my area - which led to the discovery that i love things that are used and loved, that have character! i can't believe how much having the rooms painted really pulled everything together, and for the first time i feel like my home is cohesive and i love it! i gave up on rugs though - i decided to go with natural fiber ones that are less expensive and neutral, and to add interest in other ways. rugs suck.

whew, i'm long winded! sorry! little one demanding my attention....

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1314195994|2998199 said:
Oh, good!!! Now we can think about this differently. I'd still go with antique style instead of modern since it is an OEC. If you are still doing middle finger, I don't think it could be any better than the AM.

Did you ever decide on an eternity ring? I was curious which you ended up choosing since there were some beautiful choices!

i did get an eternity! i have been lazy about posting, plus we had to get a new camera which we haven't set up yet. long story short, i couldn't pull the trigger on any of the ones i was considering. they were close to 4k and i was partly paralyzed by needing it to be end-all, be-all perfect at that price. plus, i couldn't see french cuts in person so i *thought* i would love them, but i wasn't *sure* i would. and finally, i didn't know what width would look the best and i am super picky to tenths of a mm about that. soooo.... the D/IF kept calling to me until i finally pulled the trigger on that, to see if that really was what i wanted, and because that felt worth the money to me. it arrived and while drop-dead gorgeous, something wasn't hitting me 110% right. soooo.... DH and i lucked out upon a day date and used the opportunity to go to a jewelry store to look at settings to see if that would help. while there, i spotted a beadset eternity, tried it on and whoa!! it looked amazing with my ering and was gorgeous. DH even agreed, and it takes something really special jewelry-wise to get his attention and a reaction. i think you even mentioned a beadset - and coati too - and for some reason i just didn't think it would work. well, it works!! :cheeky: it was LESS than HALF the price of the others i was considering, which took the pressure off, the diamonds are of amazing quality (they are ISEE2s, and i can see all the arrows in diffused lighting which i :love: ), the width is just right with my ering, it has the bling i was craving while complimenting my ering, not competing, and best of all DH really wanted to give *that* ring to me, which made it truly from him vs. the others where he just would have paid the bill and had no real input.

i don't regret the purchase, but i do regret not working with victor canera as he truly is amazing (and SS too, although their prices were much higher and for less tcw. they do however offer returns which was a plus). i know i would have got something exceptional in those other bands, but at the end of the day what everyone says here is true... sometimes you just need to go see things to find out what really works, and you'd be surprised that what you don't even consider on screen, turns out to be perfect IRL.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, great!!! You DO need to post pictures! I am rather fond of beadset eternities myself and think they go well with most everything!!! Does it have milgrain? That is amazing that you found one with ISee2 diamonds...that means it is top quality! And how lucky they had it in your size (or were able to get it in your size)!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK|1314174322|2998090 said:
Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't actually love that Ann M piece. It's... I don't know, not interesting enough? I like a lot of her other work, but this one just isn't grabbing me. Plus, I don't know that the YG would play up the D color well. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't! (How's that for helpful, huh?)

The JBEG setting with sapphires doesn't strike me as that engagement-y looking. Plus, I like the subtle illusion-style head for a diamond that size. And whiter metal sounds like a better match to me for a D color diamond. And more of the diamond exposed would be nice.

So, I'd say either the JBEG setting with sapphires or one of Gypsy's choices- that Sholdt piece is smashing. I'd decide between that and the JBEG based on which you think would blend better with your existing e-ring.

But, really, any of these would be great, I'm being kind of nitpicky on the Ann M one I guess 8)

The diamond sounds amazing BTW!

thanks LGK - it really is! i was surprised at how ill i felt when i was packing it up to send back to GOG. and then i was floating on air when my parents said they wanted to gift it to me - though i had to come to terms with accepting such an amazing gift.

anyhoo, yeah, i think my fear with the AM is just as you say, that maybe it isn't quite interesting enough. i think part of me loves it for its simplicity, but then part of me can also see wishing it had more down the road, esp. since it is rather similar to my JM. oh, and yeah i am worried about the YG too - i keep reading conflicting opinions on how it works with a D diamond and i just don't want to make a mistake there!

you nailed all of the reasons i like the JbEG, and my feeling also is that the sapphs help it to look less like an ering. you know, i keep defending the JbEG in my mind (and to my DH, sis and mom who all hands-down picked the AM) so there's something to that...

which sholdt is it that you like - the one with the diamonds and the prongs are N/S or the plain one?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1314209235|2998343 said:
Oh, great!!! You DO need to post pictures! I am rather fond of beadset eternities myself and think they go well with most everything!!! Does it have milgrain? That is amazing that you found one with ISee2 diamonds...that means it is top quality! And how lucky they had it in your size (or were able to get it in your size)!

see? there's a reason i stick around here - you ladies know your stuff! if only i would have listened earlier... ;)) it doesn't have mililgrain, but that's ok - all i see are diamonds! it has occurred to me that i could have gone with victor for this type of band too, and got the miligrain plus engraving on the side, but you know it all just happened so smoothly (and it was a beautiful day spent with DH, so it has that memory attached to it) that i just have to let go of that thought. fortunately it was a 6.5 which is perfect for my left hand - i am a 6.25 and i would have wanted that little buffer for an eternity.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to find a semi bezel with an antique feel to match your JM. Like with milgrain or something like that?? The twist from Sholdt could work but I'm not sure.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1314209947|2998353 said:
LGK|1314174322|2998090 said:
Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't actually love that Ann M piece. It's... I don't know, not interesting enough? I like a lot of her other work, but this one just isn't grabbing me. Plus, I don't know that the YG would play up the D color well. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't! (How's that for helpful, huh?)

The JBEG setting with sapphires doesn't strike me as that engagement-y looking. Plus, I like the subtle illusion-style head for a diamond that size. And whiter metal sounds like a better match to me for a D color diamond. And more of the diamond exposed would be nice.

So, I'd say either the JBEG setting with sapphires or one of Gypsy's choices- that Sholdt piece is smashing. I'd decide between that and the JBEG based on which you think would blend better with your existing e-ring.

But, really, any of these would be great, I'm being kind of nitpicky on the Ann M one I guess 8)

The diamond sounds amazing BTW!

thanks LGK - it really is! i was surprised at how ill i felt when i was packing it up to send back to GOG. and then i was floating on air when my parents said they wanted to gift it to me - though i had to come to terms with accepting such an amazing gift.

anyhoo, yeah, i think my fear with the AM is just as you say, that maybe it isn't quite interesting enough. i think part of me loves it for its simplicity, but then part of me can also see wishing it had more down the road, esp. since it is rather similar to my JM. oh, and yeah i am worried about the YG too - i keep reading conflicting opinions on how it works with a D diamond and i just don't want to make a mistake there!

you nailed all of the reasons i like the JbEG, and my feeling also is that the sapphs help it to look less like an ering. you know, i keep defending the JbEG in my mind (and to my DH, sis and mom who all hands-down picked the AM) so there's something to that...

which sholdt is it that you like - the one with the diamonds and the prongs are N/S or the plain one?
The diamond-y one! I'm alllll about the bells & whistles you know ;)) Oh, and that Ann Mackay swirly ring Gypsy linked to is my all time favorite by her. Upon reflection I'd say my choices would be 1. Ann Mackay swirly ring linked by G 2. JbEG ring w/ sapphires 3. Sholdt with diamonds 4. Ann Mackay y/g bezel ring 5. Sholdt half bezel linked by G.

Oh and as a fellow finger-muffin-top haver, I can say that oddly enough, more metal hides the muffin top pretty well actually. It's the super skinny bands that can have that unfortunate sausage-with-a-string-around-it effect we all try to avoid :rolleyes: Just make sure you don't get it too tight. My most flattering rings in terms of muffin top camouflage have been ones with thicker, more ornate shanks, looser sized with sizing beads to hold them in place. That tends to cut down on the squooshiness. At least on my paws!

And OMG yes pics please!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can't say it enough... you guys are awesome for helping me sort through all this.

LGK that's good info about the sausage effect. along those lines, i like this setting too. anyone have any idea who it's by or where to find one like it? ETA: and whaddy'all think of it?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's a lot like hers, but i think Indy's had four prongs and was the Bvlgari Corona, no?

i should have posted the link where i got this pic... it's lindacat's ring, and she got it from ebay. i was wondering if anyone might recognize it and know who makes it (i don't believe she said in her thread)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-transitional-cut-diamond.161257/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-transitional-cut-diamond.161257/[/URL]

have fun prepping! ;)) (DH and i joke the only way to really get our house clean is to invite people over, lol)

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi rainy!

Glad to hear you are happy with the bead-set band! That style is so lovely with the JM-I have often considered one for mine. :naughty:
How lovely of your parents to gift you the D IF. I really like a lot of the ideas in this thread. I like the AM, as it is one you could stack, (and it doesn't look like an engagement ring) but I also like the idea of an open pavilion from Sholdt.

What about something like this, but with better execution? Too engagement like? I bet JBEG could make something like this.
http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_item_detail.php?id=42756

vintage-ring-open-pav.jpg

vintage-ring-open-pav-2.jpg

Have you considered adding stones? I have a more ornate yg JM two stone ring that has a built up bezel for oomph. It really complements the JM solitaire but is totally different. It's one of the split leaf designs. Just a thought-I bet AM could make something similar. But, it's bezeled, and if you are going for pronged, then what about a more vintage design with a more ornate or wider shank? I do like the idea of doing something totally different from your JM solitaire-but something that complements. I think the one I posted above might be too similar at a glance.

Good luck! You have many nice options for your new stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1314229659|2998601 said:
it's a lot like hers, but i think Indy's had four prongs and was the Bvlgari Corona, no?

i should have posted the link where i got this pic... it's lindacat's ring, and she got it from ebay. i was wondering if anyone might recognize it and know who makes it (i don't believe she said in her thread)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-transitional-cut-diamond.161257/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-transitional-cut-diamond.161257/[/URL]

have fun prepping! ;)) (DH and i joke the only way to really get our house clean is to invite people over, lol)

I long contiplated this stone--congrats to you! :love: :appl:

I love the Corona (Bulgari) and any "Belcher type" setting (I believe this is the classic/old style setting....where is Jewelermanand Danny when you need them????). This antique cut begs the 6 prong type setting. IMHO of course......

cheers--Sharon

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi coati!

wow, i LOVE the profile of the ring you posted! i can see what you mean... it might also be a bit too similar to the JM from the top, though. the problem is that i am loving bezel designs but wanting prongs (or semi-bezel, so i can see the diamond from the side). i have yet to find anything i love as much as the AM or the JbEG that does that. i spent some time last night looking at vintage style rings... i wish i were more creative or had the nerves for going custom, because i could see using that profile as inspiration and trying to design the top to look more different from the JM. ugh, i just seem to do better seeing a design and knowing 'that's it!'. :cheeky:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1314236090|2998759 said:
rainydaze|1314229659|2998601 said:

I long contiplated this stone--congrats to you! :love: :appl:

I love the Corona (Bulgari) and any "Belcher type" setting (I believe this is the classic/old style setting....where is Jewelermanand Danny when you need them????). This antique cut begs the 6 prong type setting. IMHO of course......

cheers--Sharon

oh wow, PS is a small world - it's funny how many of us often ogle the same things! and thank you! :))

i didn't know that style had a name - thank you! i spent some time searching around for them knowing what it's called now, and have discovered some are really well done and some are.... not. when done well there sure is something about them!! that would be a completely different look from my JM, which could work because it's so different. and i agree, i can't picture four prongs for this diamond... it's six or bust! :D

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1314163566|2998066 said:
rainydaze|1314125766|2997583 said:
Gypsy|1314072696|2997137 said:
About the rings... yeah, I think it's going to be really similar. If it were me and I wanted something in yellow gold, I might drop this guy a line and ask him what he's suggest, with prongs for your diamond [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/as-requested-handmade-s-schreiber-earrings.164663/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/as-requested-handmade-s-schreiber-earrings.164663/[/URL] and see what he proposes. Might be interesting.

I like sholdt settings, the first one more than the second. I think the first one is more of a stand alone setting. I'll keep thinking for you and see if anything occurs to me for your lovely D IF.

i finally got a chance to dig around and check out his work.... and wow! he does some really nice stuff, and i love how varied his designs and executions are! thanks for this recommendation gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Rainy, the Ann M I posted, the larger more organic one, or something with the outline of the ring posted by Coati, which I love, get my vote. I have squishy fingers too, but that Ann M would work on my hands, and I think it'll work on yours.

Let me know what Schreiber says if you contact him! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results