Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting for .5 D/IF??

ann mackay or jbeg?

  • 1) ann mackay in 18 k yellow gold

    Votes: 27 71.1%
  • 2) JbEG 'lisa' setting in 18k unplated white gold w/blue sapphs

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 3) JbEG 'lisa' setting in 18k uplated white gold with all diamonds

    Votes: 7 18.4%

  • Total voters
    38

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,937
ok ladies, i need your opinions yet again to slap some decison-making sense into me!!

my parents did the most amazing thing and gifted me the half carat D/IF august vintage round (that i was about to return). i just cannot seem to decide between these two settings - one minute i think for sure the ann mackay, the next the JbEG. i would wear it on the middle finger of my left hand, and for reference i wear a platinum james meyer 1345 ering on my left hand with either a plain band or a beadset eternity. oh, and while my left hand is a size 6.25, the right will be an 8.75!! i mention that because i want it to look right on the finger as much as pretty in its own right.

one more thing, if i went with the JbEG, i am thinking of going with blue sapphs in the bezels closest to the center stone, and keeping the single cuts for the out bezels.

so, whaddy'all think?! (pics to come)

ETA: i'd love to hear The Why behind your choice too!
 

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
163
For the size stone you have, and given the fact that this is not an engagement ring, I would opt for the Ann Mackay setting. For some reason, it seems most to me like a RHR out of the settings you have listed (even though your wearing it on your left), and it's just simply beautiful. What an awesome gift from your parents- enjoy :)
 

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
307
I've loved that JbEG since they first announced it, and considered it for my ering, but a) I wanted most of the budget to go to the stone and b) I thought it would leave a big gap with a wedding ring. So if it's in the budget and it'll stand alone, that is by far my choice! I just love everything about it, the scalloped illusion setting, the claws, and even the hearts (and I do not usually like hearts!). But I love it as is, in all diamonds, but that's just my preference.
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
lewood|1314043309|2996769 said:
For the size stone you have, and given the fact that this is not an engagement ring, I would opt for the Ann Mackay setting. For some reason, it seems most to me like a RHR out of the settings you have listed (even though your wearing it on your left), and it's just simply beautiful. What an awesome gift from your parents- enjoy :)
I agree with this!
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
jstarfireb|1314044785|2996788 said:
lewood|1314043309|2996769 said:
For the size stone you have, and given the fact that this is not an engagement ring, I would opt for the Ann Mackay setting. For some reason, it seems most to me like a RHR out of the settings you have listed (even though your wearing it on your left), and it's just simply beautiful. What an awesome gift from your parents- enjoy :)
I agree with this!
Me too! The other one seems a bit too much like an engagement ring, esp with the heart.
 

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
11,271
The Ann MacKay looks perfect for a middle finger ring.
 

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,227
I like a lower set ring for the middle finger, so Ann MacKay, all the way.

Btw, I wear a 5.5 on my ring finger and 7.5-8 on my middle, so we have simliar finger size differences. No biggie!
 

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
I voted for the Anne MacKay ring. It`s simple and will really showcase that beautiful diamond of yours!

The other one looks too much like an engagement ring IMO.


Cachette :))
 

stci

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
2,514
If you want to wear it in the middle finger I vote Anne MacKay.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,117
I love the JBeg setting but agree since it's a RHR I'd go with the YG Ann Mackay. They are both beautiful rings.
 

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
6,724
I voted for the JbEG because I think the D would look beautiful whitish metal. The extra side diamonds and sapphires also give it the extra bling and would look great as a RHR. For the Ann YG setting, a red/green/blue stone would look great as a RHR; you could get a nice sapphire at a much less expensive price to put in this lovely setting.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
i love the ann mckay ring and think it would be perfect for a 0.5 D AVR!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I would vote for the Ann M, but I was worried that it might be too similar to your James Meyer.... if that's not a concern then the Ann M.
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,937
wow, the ann mackay has it by a landslide, eh?! thanks everyone for your input, as always it is really helping me!!

i am drawn to the ann mackay for the reasons many of you stated - it looks more like a RHR, it would wear well on the middle finger, and it showcases the diamond. but then, what if it is too simple, and GYPSY you nailed this one - what if it looks too much like my james meyer?? i thought the YG helped with that, but the more i consider that, the more i realize that is a genuine fear - i don't want them so similar that i become bored of it.

and my hesitation with the JbEG was exactly as many of you also stated, that it might look too much like an ering. but then, the diamond is considerably smaller than my ering, and if i used blue sapphs....

i really really wanted prongs for this one, so i could see the diamond's profile and have something different than what i already have. while i absolutely love my james meyer, i do sometimes wonder what i am missing having a bezel instead of prongs, and i could scratch that itch with the JbEG. but then every time i look at the ann mackay... i dunno, it's just so beautiful in its simplicity and the gold... it sure looks scrumptious in the picture!!
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,937
Gypsy|1314072696|2997137 said:
I would vote for the Ann M, but I was worried that it might be too similar to your James Meyer.... if that's not a concern then the Ann M.
HI GYPSY!!! i'm so glad you chimed in... i didn't end up feeling like i could write too much in that other gal's thread, i dunno, she just didn't seem like she was the type to be ok with that.... but i just wanted to say it was nice to 'see' you again too! i have been mostly lurking and i have followed your threads (loved the decorating one, that was fun! was sad about the health concerns and have been hoping for improvements; was scared for the missing rings, and hugely relieved they turned up!!). so many of my fave posters have left, and it's really nice to have you still kickin' around here!

as for my setting quandry, i gotta say you voiced my biggest concern and now that someone else put it out there... yeah. my DH and family were saying to get that ring in white gold, but i think what really draws me to it is the richness of it in YG. then on a whim i edited the photo to make it white and WHAM! it really made me realize how identical they could look. that, plus your comment, have me really second-guessing it, even for YG.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Of the ones posted the AM by far.


BUT if I owned a D IF I would want to see its pavilion and have it totaly exposed so I could really appreciate its colorlessness and clean interior. *I* would set it in a tension setting or something like the sholdt semi-bezel, and perhaps try to find a version of that type of setting that would compliment your JM.
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,937
Dreamer_D|1314132718|2997692 said:
Of the ones posted the AM by far.


BUT if I owned a D IF I would want to see its pavilion and have it totaly exposed so I could really appreciate its colorlessness and clean interior. *I* would set it in a tension setting or something like the sholdt semi-bezel, and perhaps try to find a version of that type of setting that would compliment your JM.
GAH! Dreamer, i can't even type the words... yeah, THIS! i was considering sholdt for a while for this very reason, and even visited a jeweler that carries them (but they didn't have very many of their pieces in their cases). do you think a sholdt would look good on the right hand? i love the semi bezel, but it may be out of budget.

i also loved this sholdt:
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,937
and this one too, but i'm not sure i would feel like the diamond is safe, plus it's really engagment-y:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
rainydaze|1314125766|2997583 said:
Gypsy|1314072696|2997137 said:
I would vote for the Ann M, but I was worried that it might be too similar to your James Meyer.... if that's not a concern then the Ann M.
HI GYPSY!!! i'm so glad you chimed in... i didn't end up feeling like i could write too much in that other gal's thread, i dunno, she just didn't seem like she was the type to be ok with that.... but i just wanted to say it was nice to 'see' you again too! i have been mostly lurking and i have followed your threads (loved the decorating one, that was fun! was sad about the health concerns and have been hoping for improvements; was scared for the missing rings, and hugely relieved they turned up!!). so many of my fave posters have left, and it's really nice to have you still kickin' around here!

as for my setting quandry, i gotta say you voiced my biggest concern and now that someone else put it out there... yeah. my DH and family were saying to get that ring in white gold, but i think what really draws me to it is the richness of it in YG. then on a whim i edited the photo to make it white and WHAM! it really made me realize how identical they could look. that, plus your comment, have me really second-guessing it, even for YG.

I'm insensitive. The thread was there... meh. LOL. But this is better. Decorating is progressing. I've finally ordered a rug I am going to keep. It's much more masculine than I wanted but I'm only spending 300 bucks on it, it's hides dirt, and had free shipping so I just threw in the towel. I'll post some pics of the room when I finally get it done. I'm on to art for the walls now. I might post a poll on Hangout of the top four or five contenders. Might be fun.

Health is still crappy. I had a set back last week and am honestly still really feeling angry and helpless about it. I do think that despite everything I am going to be looking at a hysterectomy by October. I think I just have to emotionally get there and try the ONE LAST THING the doctor wants to try.

The rings are good. I've been wearing them in the house for my own pleasure. I've really just fallen for my engagement ring all over again.

I know I miss so many missing members it's lovely to see someone I care about show up and pop in like you.

Update me on everything in your life hon, please.


About the rings... yeah, I think it's going to be really similar. If it were me and I wanted something in yellow gold, I might drop this guy a line and ask him what he's suggest, with prongs for your diamond [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/as-requested-handmade-s-schreiber-earrings.164663/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/as-requested-handmade-s-schreiber-earrings.164663/[/URL] and see what he proposes. Might be interesting.

I like sholdt settings, the first one more than the second. I think the first one is more of a stand alone setting. I'll keep thinking for you and see if anything occurs to me for your lovely D IF.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
http://www.annmckaystudio.com/engagement/1220AB.html If you want something by Ann I like this one. It's organic and standalone and would be different enough in 18K yellow that it might work. But I think it's too fussy for you, plus it is bezel set.

This is my favorite sholdt and I think it would look great with your stone: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/21ZZ1/

And though it isn't my normal style I like this one a lot too: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/24ZZ1/14/
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't actually love that Ann M piece. It's... I don't know, not interesting enough? I like a lot of her other work, but this one just isn't grabbing me. Plus, I don't know that the YG would play up the D color well. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't! (How's that for helpful, huh?)

The JBEG setting with sapphires doesn't strike me as that engagement-y looking. Plus, I like the subtle illusion-style head for a diamond that size. And whiter metal sounds like a better match to me for a D color diamond. And more of the diamond exposed would be nice.

So, I'd say either the JBEG setting with sapphires or one of Gypsy's choices- that Sholdt piece is smashing. I'd decide between that and the JBEG based on which you think would blend better with your existing e-ring.

But, really, any of these would be great, I'm being kind of nitpicky on the Ann M one I guess 8)

The diamond sounds amazing BTW!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,133
So you are going to wear this on the finger right next to your e-ring? I would not do a really modern design right next to a JM, personally. And I also wouldn't want it to look like an e-ring. I think I like the AM best for a middle finger ring. Plus that style is good for an AV round.

I'll be honest and say, though, that I think wearing it on the finger right next to your e-ring may result in it taking away from your wedding set. I'd really consider wearing the new diamond on your right hand. I don't think the AM is too much like your JM, either.
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,937
diamondseeker2006|1314189155|2998139 said:
So you are going to wear this on the finger right next to your e-ring? I would not do a really modern design right next to a JM, personally. And I also wouldn't want it to look like an e-ring. I think I like the AM best for a middle finger ring. Plus that style is good for an AV round.

I'll be honest and say, though, that I think wearing it on the finger right next to your e-ring may result in it taking away from your wedding set. I'd really consider wearing the new diamond on your right hand. I don't think the AM is too much like your JM, either.
omigosh! i just went back and read my original post and i did write my left hand.... but i totally meant my RIGHT hand!! middle finger of my RIGHT hand! ai yi yi, well that certainly changes things. i'm glad you caught that and pointed it out DS!! ETA: lewood you picked up on that too, and i remember wondering about that but i must have been distracted and didn't follow up on it!

i have to run, but i will get back to you gypsy and LGK!!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,133
Oh, good!!! Now we can think about this differently. I'd still go with antique style instead of modern since it is an OEC. If you are still doing middle finger, I don't think it could be any better than the AM.

Did you ever decide on an eternity ring? I was curious which you ended up choosing since there were some beautiful choices!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top