color
clarity

Which OEC???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
camomof4|1443508891|3933039 said:
diamondseeker2006|1443460280|3932802 said:
I really like the looks of that one, but whether I would pay to call it in just to look at it is another matter (as in the cost to see it and potentially send it back). I still think you need to see a few to know what you really love. I have even refined my references on ideal cut rounds after having a few!

How does stone #2 compare in price to the 2.93 I linked earlier? I think Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace are good places to use for price comps even if you can't buy from them. It never pays to use a trade in policy and then overpay for the upgrade diamond.

Further update for price comparison purposes - Looked into it, and the LAD 2.93 also has a GIA cert. GIA color is K and the stone has a chip. That (and being shy of the 3 carat mark) could account for some of the price differential. I do love the look of that 2.93 though. Hopefully will know more about the 3.04 once vendor receives stone from overseas. I'll get some more photos, ASET, etc. and see if I think it's worth seeing in person.

DS - I agree that the more I can see in person the better! I drove up to Lang's in SF to try on some of their honkers and get a sense of my color tolerance and the proportions I like, etc. Have to say though that nothing there knocked my socks off in terms of cut. (Size was another matter! There were some serious rocks in there.) How did you get your hands on so many OECs to refine your sense of your preferences? I'm tempted to just put half of JBEG's stock on my credit card and get them all sent to me! Heehee :naughty:

Oh my, what a DREAM to go to Lang's just to see all their jewelry!!! I have seen many AVR's mainly, but I also go to high end estate jewelers in a mountain resort each year that usually have some nice OEC rings. I also have not seen an OEC there that knocked my socks off, which is part of the reason I ended up with the AVR at the time. I am going again this weekend, so maybe I will see something new and wonderful!

I am not pushing the LAD stone for any reason. I just think it is a good value for the spread and cost due to being right under 3 cts. It is not unusual for OECs to have a tiny chip as they can easily be polished out. If I remember correctly, that stone was VS1 so it should be really insignificant.

So is the overseas stone GIA graded? Or what lab? Because if it is not GIA graded, it's true color grade may be lower than J, too.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443538443|3933148 said:
camomof4|1443508891|3933039 said:
I really like the looks of that one, but whether I would pay to call it in just to look at it is another matter (as in the cost to see it and potentially send it back). I still think you need to see a few to know what you really love. I have even refined my references on ideal cut rounds after having a few!

How does stone #2 compare in price to the 2.93 I linked earlier? I think Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace are good places to use for price comps even if you can't buy from them. It never pays to use a trade in policy and then overpay for the upgrade diamond.

Further update for price comparison purposes - Looked into it, and the LAD 2.93 also has a GIA cert. GIA color is K and the stone has a chip. That (and being shy of the 3 carat mark) could account for some of the price differential. I do love the look of that 2.93 though. Hopefully will know more about the 3.04 once vendor receives stone from overseas. I'll get some more photos, ASET, etc. and see if I think it's worth seeing in person.

DS - I agree that the more I can see in person the better! I drove up to Lang's in SF to try on some of their honkers and get a sense of my color tolerance and the proportions I like, etc. Have to say though that nothing there knocked my socks off in terms of cut. (Size was another matter! There were some serious rocks in there.) How did you get your hands on so many OECs to refine your sense of your preferences? I'm tempted to just put half of JBEG's stock on my credit card and get them all sent to me! Heehee :naughty:

Oh my, what a DREAM to go to Lang's just to see all their jewelry!!! I have seen many AVR's mainly, but I also go to high end estate jewelers in a mountain resort each year that usually have some nice OEC rings. I also have not seen an OEC there that knocked my socks off, which is part of the reason I ended up with the AVR at the time. I am going again this weekend, so maybe I will see something new and wonderful!

I am not pushing the LAD stone for any reason. I just think it is a good value for the spread and cost due to being right under 3 cts. It is not unusual for OECs to have a tiny chip as they can easily be polished out. If I remember correctly, that stone was VS1 so it should be really insignificant.

So is the overseas stone GIA graded? Or what lab? Because if it is not GIA graded, it's true color grade may be lower than J, too.

Totally agree, the LAD is a great comp. And it's sooo beautiful. The overseas stone is GIA. Cert is here: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

Mainly I'm wondering about the depth which obv. affects the spread. Thoughts on the v thin to thin girdle? Or do I not need to worry as much since its faceted?

I'm still giving some thought to the AVRs. I'd really like to see one. Did you see one before you bought, and if so how?

It was a dream to go to Lang's. Drove up to the city by myself while the kids were in school. Walked around the city in the crisp fall air and looked at antique jewelry. Fabulous day!!!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
camomof4 said:
badabling|1443519904|3933070 said:
camomof4 said:

Are you sure it's a GIA K? I was looking at that stone and I'm pretty sure Erica said it was a GIA J as well. You might want to confirm that with her. I didn't know it had a chip...could you tell that from the pic?

The AGS report posted on LAD says the diamond has a GIA number inscribed on the girdle, so I looked up the GIA report:

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

I think I'm reading that right on the chip? BUT maybe LAD polished it out? Could be! It's an absolutely gorgeous diamond! :love: Are you thinking of going for it??

You are right it is a K! I ended up with another stone from OWD...I haven't had a chance to see any of the stones IRL just videos and pics so I'm a little nervous.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
.[/quote]You are right it is a K! I ended up with another stone from OWD...I haven't had a chance to see any of the stones IRL just videos and pics so I'm a little nervous.[/quote]

That's exciting! Let's hear about it!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The depth on the stone in Europe is very common in OECs. A lot of the current AVRs are cut that deep and I personally prefer the depth to be no more than 65 so the spread (diameter) is not so negatively affected. You really have to weigh out that factor especially when the stone weighs just over the carat mark because it means paying a premium for the 3 cts when the stone faces up more like a 2.75 mrb. First and foremost, though, is the beauty of the facet pattern.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443620607|3933439 said:
The depth on the stone in Europe is very common in OECs. A lot of the current AVRs are cut that deep and I personally prefer the depth to be no more than 65 so the spread (diameter) is not so negatively affected. You really have to weigh out that factor especially when the stone weighs just over the carat mark because it means paying a premium for the 3 cts when the stone faces up more like a 2.75 mrb. First and foremost, though, is the beauty of the facet pattern.

Thanks!!! Vendor should have the stone on Friday or Monday so more photos and ASET etc. should follow.

Any thoughts on thin to v thin girdle (but faceted)? I plan for this to be a daily-wear ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results