carat
color
clarity

Which has more sparkle / is better?

Brian111

Rough_Rock

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Very important to see the diamond in different lighting conditions, and you may concentrate on the diffused light under which she will see the stone most of the time.
The second diamond video was spot light and it shows pin points and the slushy appearance.
The other two you may ask them to shoot video in diffused light and spot light, then judge, however the third shows a bow tie in the belly but again you need to see a video.
By the way if you are ok with vs1 you get better carat and spread and still maintain the F color, unless IF is crucial to you.

Brian111

Rough_Rock
IF isn’t crucial — just eye clean and a lot of sparkle. That was just one that didn’t have the bow tie and by chance was IF.

So you’re saying the first one likely is the best? I can ask for videos on that and the third one if it helps.

Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you tied to any particular vendor?

If not, and are happy to post your budget and colour/clarity/carat size requirements/desires, we can help you identify other potential options.

Anyone looking at Ovals needs to consider the Opulence Ovals from August Vintage Inc.

Brian111

Rough_Rock
I'm not tied to any particular vendor as long as they're trustworthy obviously. I'd prefer diamonds with GIA certificates mostly because they tend to be more reliable / strict, but I'm also not tied to that if the diamond is great. If anyone has any other specific suggestions on certain diamonds that look great, let me know.

Carat size -- 0.8 to 1 carat. Although I'm leaning more towards something around 0.85 to 0.9 or so just because I don't want it to look too big on the finger, as it'll be in a halo setting.
Clarity -- must be eye clean ... preferably VS1 or better.
Color -- it'll be on a yellow gold band, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but D to H is probably a good range.
Budget -- I'm negotiable in that area but want a diamond that has a lot of sparkle to it and just looks nice (as I know the range I gave can vary by a couple thousand or more in some cases between a 0.8 and a 1 carat, for instance).

Thanks!

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
May not be a bad idea to familiarize yourself with what to look for and what to avoid in ovals.
This video may help:

Brian111

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that, but what do you think of those three or a better one out there?

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for that, but what do you think of those three or a better one out there?

Any one of them could be the winner if viewed in the proper lighting conditions, I suggest do not cancel any one , ask for a video in the diffused lighting (for brightness and contrast) , dim spot lighting (sparkles and scintillation) and strong spot lighting (fire), also they can include in the video holding the diamond on a holder and a shot by the window of natural lighting and in the sun ....All that could be had in a video of 3 minute length or less.
Here is a run of the lighting condition for a diamond I just purchased from GOG (picked solasfera), I did not see it in person but I know what am getting, I even asked them to include in the video a finger shot in a similar setting on finger size 5 to see how it will look on my daughter's finger:
(purpose of posting this video is to see the sequence of lighting conditions and steps so you can request the same for your oval)
Also you may ask the vendor of the ASET of the diamond, you will have from it a good idea on how the diamond will perform.
Sorry for the long post but really if you do those things methodically you will not go wrong especially if you are not seeing the diamond in person.
Another thing to consider when you buy the diamond if the vendor offers, a lifetime buyback, and 30 day return, mostly the diamond has to be darn good to earn that policy so that eases up your mind plus what was mentioned before.
At the end
BUY THE SELLER BEFORE YOU BUY THE DIAMOND.
Wish you all the luck on your quest.

Brian111

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that info!

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the OP
When looking at an oval in the east west orientation like the one linked to above, its characteristics may differ from the north south orientation.
If you consider this oval you may ask the vendor to show it to you in both orientations.
Here is a video about the difference between those positions in ovals:
OP - None of the ovals you posted stand out to me. BN floods their stones with so much light that its quite difficult to assess them well. The Ken and Diane stone has too much darkness in the belly for me. Also, when comparing ovals, use the lenght and width -- not the weight. Ovals vary greatly in depth. Finding a good performing oval on the open market is hard and can take a long time. Had your girl said she wants only an oval?

A few that looked ok (but you want to ask for an ASET image).
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.02-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5705608
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-5487476 {7.73*5.56mm; I have high hopes for this one}

@Doc_1 True enough. But, the one I linked is a super-ideal oval and they can provide images to demonstrate performance. The person speaking in the video you linked, Jonathan, is the same person who invented and is selling the AVO I suggested. Zero bowtie and avoids all the issues with oval light performance. August Vintage can also make/acquire a setting for you.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
@Doc_1 True enough. But, the one I linked is a super-ideal oval and they can provide images to demonstrate performance. The person speaking in the video you linked, Jonathan, is the same person who invented and is selling the AVO I suggested. Zero bowtie and avoids all the issues with oval light performance. August Vintage can also make/acquire a setting for you.

Hands down, he is the best in the trade, I bought from him 3 times without seeing the stone and results was above expectations, glad to hear that AVO is by GOG Jonathan's standards, absolutely should be spectacular.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results