shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond - RB 1.67 E IF or RB 1.68 F IF?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocksteady

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve been researching and learning about diamonds for the last 2 months using pricescope and some of the excellent tutorials provided by the linked vendors. I would value opinions on the following two diamonds:

1.67 E IF

7.70 - 7.79 * 4.69
depth: 60.8
table: 55.9
girdle: 1.2
culet .3
polish: VG
sym: Ex
crown: 34.5
pavilion: 41.0
HCA: 1.7

http://www.superbcert.com/Shop_By_Product/Diamond_Details.cfm/P/162616/N/1;1

1.68 F IF

7.70 - 7.79 * 4.69
depth: 60.9
table: 55.7
girdle: 1.2
culet .3
polish: Ex
sym: Ex
crown: 34.3
pavilion: 40.8
HCA: 1.1

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_68ct_f_if_h%26a.htm

Both vendors have a variety of test results on site. From my limited knowledge they tell me the following:

H&A: I could not tell the diference between the posted photos
Brilliancescope: There are minor differences but they probably offset
Lightscope: I couldn''t see any difference in light leakage

The 1.67 E IF is about 1,000 less that the F IF

Thanks

Daryl

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, they are so close, it's amazing.

I'd go for the E color. It's $1000 less and one color better. The VG on polish instead of EX will not be noticable.

Either one is a winner and will be a stunning stone!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the less expensive better color stone. Both look nice though.

These are some heavy hitting stones. May I ask the reason for the quality level?

Edited to add: Where's the D/IF choice?
wink2.gif
9.gif

rocksteady

Rough_Rock
Patty & Fire&Ice,

Thanks for the feedback. On the question of quality - well I don't know how else to answer except to say that I have always been keen on getting the best quality I can for the price that I am going to pay. In my search I have not found a lot of good quality DEF / VVS1/2 stones within the carat range that I am looking for and exhibiting the cut that I want.

The other reason (and I'm not sure that its the best - but it is true) is that I live a 12 hour flight away from my girlfriend and although a stone of approx 1.5 carat is great for her hand she always steers me towards 1 carat as she thinks that a 1.5 of good quality is too much to spend. We have spent 2 years away from each other and this is one way that I'd like to recognise those sacrifices.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Haha... I was looking at exactly those 2 diamonds a couple of weeks back. An aunt of mine was looking for a diamond, and I thought those 2 would be great for her... Unfortunately, she decided that she would rather be ripped off by the local B&M.

They are both great. Personally I was planning to have the diamonds shipped to an appraiser for her to check out. I understand that Supercert does that. Why don't you eyeball both of them before you decide? I think it's worthwhile, as they are both not exactly cheap.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
As for the size of the diamond... you have to consider that a diamond may actually be too big... if she's petite? If it looks out of place on her hand, she may not wear it.

Personally, I think a diamond that size looks better as a pendant.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/1/2004 10:47:03 AM rocksteady wrote:

Patty & Fire&Ice,

The other reason (and I'm not sure that its the best - but it is true) is that I live a 12 hour flight away from my girlfriend and although a stone of approx 1.5 carat is great for her hand she always steers me towards 1 carat as she thinks that a 1.5 of good quality is too much to spend. We have spent 2 years away from each other and this is one way that I'd like to recognise those sacrifices.----------------

Works for me.
9.gif

rocksteady

Rough_Rock
Kevinng,

My grilfriend is just being polite ... 1.5 - 1.8 suits her fine and looks great on her hand (she admits to that much) but when the price tag gets turned over at the B&M she goes back to the 1 carat stones.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
If the diamond looks good on her... and the price is right for you... then go for it!

She's one lucky girl. When I look at the stats of those 2 diamonds, I weep for my aunt. They both look great.

However, one thing to note... one of the hearts of the F IF is a little less nicely formed. However, I don't think that will affect the overall beauty of the diamond. Both diamonds are wonderful. That's why I say take a look at both of them. Afterall, after looking at all the stats, the final test must be the eyeball. Look at them under all kinds of light... and then decide. It will be fun!
2.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just one point to note which may or may not affect your decision. One is a triple ideal cut and one is not.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, go for the E.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely E color has my vote when all else is SSSOOOO close!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I would pick the E/IF, no questions asked. Have it sent to an appraiser for your examination first just because that is a smart thing to do. All the experts say that the VG vs Ex polish (which is the only thing that makes it not triple ideal) is not something that the eye can see unaided, and is not anything that will affect the look or sparkle of the stone.

These are both going to be beautiful stones. I would bet you couldn't pick out a difference, so you may as well save the $1000 for something else, and enjoy the higher color!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Well... I may be the sole dissonant voice here. While I'd generally pick an E over an F hands down in comparable cut, something about that F really speaks to me. I'd say look at them both in person - it's just too close to call!
1.gif

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I would look at both stones before I decide. I recall in another thread, where get_cut_not_ripped arranged for several diamonds to be sent to the independent appraiser near him, just so he can pick them out. He brought a friend with him for a second opinion.

From the specs he presented, I would have picked out a different diamond. However, from the eyeball test, confirmed by a friend he brought along, the diamond he chose seemed to be the right one for him.

It's always safer to look before you buy... rather than wonder what the other one would have looked like.
5.gif

Plus, it would be wise to take a second look at the specs, as Rhino pointed out.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I agree that seeing both in person would be optimal in choosing...An E stone is super white but the F seems to be slightly better cut by the numbers...Seeing both in person will allow you to make the best choice.
1.gif

They both seem like terrific diamonds!
love.gif
Good luck!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rocksteady
without looking at the stones i like the F specs ,crown 34.3 & 40.8 pavil combo.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
You really need to see both stones together. Numbers on paper is just the first step.

Let your eyes make the last call.

Why Flawless?

Big waist of money and harder to resell.

Has anybody ever understood why they call those investment diamonds? Is it because they are hard to get rid of and you will end up hanging on to them? Really if you put a VS and a flawless up for sale you would move the VS 50 times over.

Its also an easy switch with a flawless CZ

Just a few points that might not factor in with your life style.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Besides the numbers, you have the actual idealscope images and brilliance scope results for both stones. Both look great, both get 3 VH scores. One is cheaper and a color grade higher. I'd go with the E.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Your comment ~

H&A: I could not tell the diference between the posted photos
Brilliancescope: There are minor differences but they probably offset
Lightscope: I couldn't see any difference in light leakage

Guess what in the real world you live in with no widgets or gidgets on your wrist to show people you have a heart and arrow pattern it wont matter. Minor differences with insturments = no difference to the unaided eye in the real world.

Dont get hung up on hype and what people tell you what matters, look at the diamonds not pictures. Who knows if those are even the pictures ? Look at both yourself. Let your eyes tell you.

Just my 2 cents

Best of luck

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
As others suggested, Is it possible to see both together? In the end, one will speak to you more. Trust your gut.

rocksteady

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the comments and feedback. I am in the process of arranging for both stones to be sent to an appraiser. I'll keep you all updated on the feedback and the journey toward the ring.

Regarding the comments on whether I need to go to the quality and price point of the stones - I agree its a lot of money. From my perspective it is not an investment i.e. somthing I'm buying to be sold in the future but rather a selection that I have made based on what I'd like to get my girlfriend. At the end of the day there's emotion involved but I'm very happy that pricescope has provided me with an opportunity to learn so much over the last couple of months leading up to the current selection.

Thanks

Daryl

bling

Shiny_Rock
gosh, you really cant go wrong with either of them...
1.gif
id be happy with either one anyway..hahha.
but something about the F/IF..i like the numbers just a tad better..but thats splitting some pretty fine hairs..
youll win either way..but thats just MHO...
youre lady is one lucky gal..congrats!
appl.gif
9.gif

luckyworldtour

Rough_Rock
I went F IF for my fiancee's center stone and I certainly paid a premium for it and I guess it was the symbolism as well as the fact that the cert is completely clean. The two side stones are eye clean F SI1's and to my naked eye there is simply no difference. I would have liked to go IF on the sides as well but finally hit my budget. Maybe as a five year anniversary gift. Then I guess there is always D IF...

Just my weird take, but I would only pay a premium for IF. Once you have inclusions, I'd take eye clean and spend the extra elsewhere.

Both of your diamonds look like blasters. Congratulations,
Mike

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2004 1:17:26 PM luckyworldtour wrote:

Just my weird take, but I would only pay a premium for IF. Once you have inclusions, I'd take eye clean and spend the extra elsewhere.
----------------

Once you have inclusions? A IF rating does not mean a diamond is inclusion-free. The definition for IF is "No inclusions and only insignificant blemishes can be seen by a skilled, professional diamond grader under 10x magnification."

IF doesn't mean it's inclusion-free; it only means you can't find them at a magnification of 10x. Bump it up to 30x, and you may well see inclusions.

luckyworldtour

Rough_Rock
Luckily for me, the fiancee doesn't have an electron microscope!
naughty.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2004 3:24:34 PM luckyworldtour wrote:

Luckily for me, the fiancee doesn't have an electron microscope!
naughty.gif
----------------

9.gif
True....and I guess that's what I was getting at.

rocksteady

Rough_Rock
Update

After all of the great advice I sent the two stones to Richard Sherwood at Sarasota. As you would imagine it was a very close call between the two stones and if only one of them had been available then I'm sure that it would have been absolutely perfect.

The 1.67 E IF from Superbcert was the chosen stone and throughout the process Barry from Superbcert, Jonathan from GOG and Richard worked to meet a tough timeline. The stone was sent for setting just over 2 weeks ago in a Superbcert Tiffany style 6 prong setting (platinum) and Barry leap frogged a few other orders so he could dispatch the stone yesterday.

I am due to receive the stone in Asia early next week and I then fly to Vienna on Wednesday night to propose on Thursday.

I'll put the full story in the proposal ideas but the plan is as follows:

I met my gf in Vienna in 2002 when both of us were working on a case (we are fraud investigators; she works in Europe and I work in Asia). As we are both inherently suspicious her boss is sending her to Vienna on the premise that an OECD minister needs to talk to her about a crime involving the recent oil price rise. We met at the Imperial hotel in Vienna - http://www.imperialtorte.com/en/hotel_en.html and that’s where the proposal will taken place. I think that she’s going to be a little bit irritated about 2 hours after the proposal as between her boss and I we have concocted 80 pages of reading for her on the plane covering a background for the oil minister and his assistant (me)

Full update and photo’s coming soon.

Thanks for all the help.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wow a sneaky proposal. I don't think she'll be mad for long. Especially when she sees that amazing stone!
Best wishes.
Keep us posted.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
----------------
Once you have inclusions? A IF rating does not mean a diamond is inclusion-free. The definition for IF is 'No inclusions and only insignificant blemishes can be seen by a skilled, professional diamond grader under 10x magnification.'

IF doesn't mean it's inclusion-free; it only means you can't find them at a magnification of 10x. Bump it up to 30x, and you may well see inclusions.
----------------

I don't think graders rely on the 10x loupe for grading nowadays. They use high powered microscopes with darkfield illumination to help them. I think an IF diamond would be inclusion free, even under 30x magnification.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results