shape
carat
color
clarity

Which David Klass setting for my ring?

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
EB595E0F-597F-4344-9261-53AA1839C993.jpeg C8231173-8658-4097-9AF8-3621033A7151.png 7A963504-DAA9-4140-BA84-F0BF63AC1881.png I’m wanting to reset my .94 round in round halo. I don’t think I will probably ever realistically upgrade to the size diamond I would love to have, so I want to reset what I have to fit with my wedding band. My current setting is too low profile and thin so it doesn’t work well with my band. So I went to a jewelry store to try on styles, and I think the round in cushion halo is the winner. It provides the most finger coverage, and I just like the look.

I’m getting David Klass to do some drawings for me. I have two inspiration pictures that I’m wondering your opinions on and a picture of my wedding band. Anything I do will be set in platinum. Curious which style you think will work better with my band (attaching picture of band also) Thanks!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Also, I know these won’t exactly match my band which is ok. I just want them to sit well together and look like they work with each other.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your band looks to be three-sided pave, I would be sure to wear a spacer plain band between it and any other diamond band you wear. (If I'm seeing your band right it looks very, very much like mine :D)

I think the first ring with the brightcut pave will work better with your wedding band, since it's the same kind of style.

I'd be sure to measure the height off your finger of your wedding band in addition to the width so you can get them close.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the opinion. Yes it is three sided, so you’re right about needing a spacer. I was thinking the first style also. I wish I could see it in platinum to visualize it. I love the rose gold, but I think I should stick to platinum and maybe get a rose gold stacker!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That rose gold is the most beautiful light warm tone - do you know what mix it is?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you are having the ring made anyhow, why don’t you send your band to the jeweler so they can make something that really emulates the band?
Also, it is true that halos make the ring so much bigger and you will be shocked how large it looks with your diamond. Personally, I think you have the perfect size for a halo... if the center stone is over a certain size, I think the whole thing becomes to large. Yours will be exactly right.
So excited for you!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
That rose gold is the most beautiful light warm tone - do you know what mix it is?

Isn’t it gorgeous?? I don’t know the mix - I just found this picture on David Klass’s Instagram.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
If you are having the ring made anyhow, why don’t you send your band to the jeweler so they can make something that really emulates the band?
Also, it is true that halos make the ring so much bigger and you will be shocked how large it looks with your diamond. Personally, I think you have the perfect size for a halo... if the center stone is over a certain size, I think the whole thing becomes to large. Yours will be exactly right.
So excited for you!

I had thought about sending my band, but I wasn’t sure. I’m already so nervous to send my diamond off I the mail somewhere!

And I agree about my diamond being the right size for a halo. I originally had a solitaire and reset it into a round halo which helped it a lot! Especially because I have long fingers. But the setting I used I just ordered from a catalog and didn’t know what I was doing, so it doesn’t work with my wedding band at all. This was my 20th anniversary year, so I decided I would make it right!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
58316D5C-8112-4593-9F4E-C6EB2E177D26.jpeg D102C0A7-562C-4821-81F2-727394C4FB89.jpeg This is why I want to reset. I just feel like it could be so much better. The diamond is special to me because my late father picked it out for my husband to give me. I want to do it justice, so I want to make this reset right. (But I also have 4 kids with one just starting college, so it has to be on somewhat of a budget! )

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first ring matches your wedding band the best. You might consider adding milgrain to your wedding band so they match better (or not).
You really need pics of the gallery to see how high the settings are and if there are any parts that might get in the way of your wedding band.
I know DK will design it so there isnt an issue. I also think you should send your wedding band in so that DK gets everything right.

You need an underside like this first picture that doesnt have anything in the way and not the one below that has bars connecting it.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
The first ring matches your wedding band the best. You might consider adding milgrain to your wedding band so they match better (or not).
You really need pics of the gallery to see how high the settings are and if there are any parts that might get in the way of your wedding band.
I know DK will design it so there isnt an issue. I also think you should send your wedding band in so that DK gets everything right.

You need an underside like this first picture that doesnt have anything in the way and not the one below that has bars connecting it.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Thank you so much for the feedback. I hadn’t thought of adding millgrain to my band but I had thought about having him not do millgrain on the new setting. I’m not sure which I like better. Can you explain to me why the underside like in the first picture you posted would work better? Do you mean that I shouldn’t have the little prong bars or whatever those are? I have tried on some settings in a local jewelry store and I know I need the setting to sit at least 6.5mm high to sit above my band.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
2EB05A98-7A95-42D5-BFEF-4C9C794F5E67.jpeg 85EF6EF8-070A-480E-833C-6096C3BD1788.jpeg I did try on this Gabriel and Co. setting in my local jewelry store, and I really liked it also. It seemed to work really well with my band (I did have an extra band on from the store in that profile shot). What do you all think about this? Is this halo too much?? I gave David the measurements of this ring to work with.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the feedback. I hadn’t thought of adding millgrain to my band but I had thought about having him not do millgrain on the new setting. I’m not sure which I like better. Can you explain to me why the underside like in the first picture you posted would work better? Do you mean that I shouldn’t have the little prong bars or whatever those are? I have tried on some settings in a local jewelry store and I know I need the setting to sit at least 6.5mm high to sit above my band.

6.5mm is very high for a wedding band. The bars on that second setting I posted would be in the way of your wedding band. The first setting gives
more clearance...all the way up to the bottom of the halo. If you plan on getting a separator ring it wont matter quite as much because that will push
your wedding band further away from your engagement ring (so hopefully you will have clearance). I assume that you are letting DK know that
you need high clearance for your wedding band. Make sure they include that number on your CADS. This is also the reason why I would send them
your wedding band. If you give them a number and it ends up not being high enough then it's on you...if they have the band and dont make it high enough then its on them (which usually means they will remake it).

Did you make note of what the gallery (underside) of those rings that you tried on looked like?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you explain to me why the underside like in the first picture you posted would work better? Do you mean that I shouldn’t have the little prong bars or whatever those are? I have tried on some settings in a local jewelry store and I know I need the setting to sit at least 6.5mm high to sit above my band.

Essentially the bars will interfere with the wedding band and keep it from sitting flush. See attached hand sketch I did real fast.

20190926_105048.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide you like the support bars, you could opt for a new wedding band and utilize a curved format to go around the bars (DK may be able to melt & re-use the metal, and re-purpose the stones as well). I know many women don't like that because you then can't wear just the band solo. Guess it depends on your life style. My wife wanted hers to curve and we soldered to the e-ring as she likes the continuity. I bought her a separate cheap band for those adventures or times when she just needs a plain band.

pave-wb-4209-1.8mm-curved-half-way-french-pave-1.5mm-melee-diamond-wedding-band-white-gold-platinum%20-%201-1000x1000.jpg

I worked with DK to do both her e-ring and wedding band. Pics below. You may not be able to tell below but her wedding band is also curved but it works pretty well with the overall design. One of her favorite things is the gaps it creates so she can see her skin through at various spots.

1-jpg.686982

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Essentially the bars will interfere with the wedding band and keep it from sitting flush. See attached hand sketch I did real fast.

20190926_105048.jpg

Wow thanks! That helps so much!

This link is to the one I tried on in store that worked great with my band. It gives several pictures and the measurements under product description. It just seemed like a little too much going on in this ring so I wanted to make it similar in dimensions but a little simpler in design if that makes sense.
https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/er7256w44jj

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
If you decide you like the support bars, you could opt for a new wedding band and utilize a curved format to go around the bars (DK may be able to melt & re-use the metal, and re-purpose the stones as well). I know many women don't like that because you then can't wear just the band solo. Guess it depends on your life style. My wife wanted hers to curve and we soldered to the e-ring as she likes the continuity. I bought her a separate cheap band for those adventures or times when she just needs a plain band.

pave-wb-4209-1.8mm-curved-half-way-french-pave-1.5mm-melee-diamond-wedding-band-white-gold-platinum%20-%201-1000x1000.jpg

I worked with DK to do both her e-ring and wedding band. Pics below. You may not be able to tell below but her wedding band is also curved but it works pretty well with the overall design. One of her favorite things is the gaps it creates so she can see her skin through at various spots.

1-jpg.686982

These are beautiful. I don’t mind skin showing through, but I do have a curved band that drives me crazy because it’s never lined up correctly!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Now I’m getting overwhelmed and thinking maybe I don’t know enough to do something like this! I don’t want to mess it up. I’m reading too much - what size melee? Tilt the halo 30 degrees? Bars interfering? Omg! :eek2::lol:

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
6D3C1A10-670F-45E8-8142-89B3B5FFDA42.png 2B4BE9C3-5227-4933-A537-2D988599AA5A.png If anyone is still reading this, I appreciate any feedback! Now I’m thinking maybe I should do a plain band with the halo rather than trying to match my wedding band. Then I can add other stackers as well. What do you think about this idea?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain band and diamond band are two very different looks. I’d buy some cheap CZ rings or something to try them on for a few days and see if you like it or if you miss the bling of a diamond band.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I’m getting overwhelmed and thinking maybe I don’t know enough to do something like this! I don’t want to mess it up. I’m reading too much - what size melee? Tilt the halo 30 degrees? Bars interfering? Omg! :eek2::lol:

I saw this yesterday but never got a chance to respond.

I'd encourage you to take a few deep breaths, and collect yourself. You can do this, and you are more than qualified to do so. After all, you will be the one wearing it and can best articulate those thoughts and desires to DK -- or most likely Amy.

In my case, I had never designed a ring. I'm just a stupid male, lol. I was trying to be as stealth as possible. My wife was picky but not firm on details, etc. With the help of this forum I was able to pull it together. There were things I never considered that were brought up and addressed/refined from the original inspiration piece. It was a lot of work and effort, and at times I became frustrated but in the end it was all worthwhile. And I really can't thank those that got involved here enough for all their help and time in that journey.

If there is more I can do, I will be happy to lend a hand. Sometimes a different perspective or sketch is what is needed to move past a hurdle. I haven't heard from @rockysalamander in awhile but she was absolutely golden in my process.

Head up, and nothing but positive thoughts. You got this! :cool2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, did you completely scratch the 3-stone idea? if you already have a halo, you might want to look into changing the design a bit more. Otherwise, a cushion halo with or without stones on shank will be a different look and I suggest that you try both styles in person before making a decision.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I’m going now to try on more rings. I think I have analysis paralysis and way too many ideas swirling in my head. I love the three stone look but when I tried some on the other day I feel like with my center stone it just doesn’t give me a look I want. I feel like I would need a bigger center stone to have the look that I want in a three stone ring. I think the halo is good for my stone because it visually increases the size, but I just need a better setting than what I have.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I saw this yesterday but never got a chance to respond.

I'd encourage you to take a few deep breaths, and collect yourself. You can do this, and you are more than qualified to do so. After all, you will be the one wearing it and can best articulate those thoughts and desires to DK -- or most likely Amy.

In my case, I had never designed a ring. I'm just a stupid male, lol. I was trying to be as stealth as possible. My wife was picky but not firm on details, etc. With the help of this forum I was able to pull it together. There were things I never considered that were brought up and addressed/refined from the original inspiration piece. It was a lot of work and effort, and at times I became frustrated but in the end it was all worthwhile. And I really can't thank those that got involved here enough for all their help and time in that journey.

If there is more I can do, I will be happy to lend a hand. Sometimes a different perspective or sketch is what is needed to move past a hurdle. I haven't heard from @rockysalamander in awhile but she was absolutely golden in my process.

Head up, and nothing but positive thoughts. You got this! :cool2:

Thank you so much. I just really want to get it right and have something that I love but I’ve never done anything like this before. The last time I got it reset I just pointed at one in the catalog and the jeweler ordered it for me and I knew from the beginning that it wasn’t right but I didn’t have the money to go back and start from scratch again. Thanks for the encouragement!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, try on a lot of rings. There’s no rush. It’s better to go slowly and be sure about what you want. And sometimes things that you don’t like in pictures look great on your hand and sometimes things you love in pictures just don’t wow you when you try them on. See if you can find a three-stone or several with center stones your size - see if you can try on halos with plain bands, etc. In my experience, once you find the right thing, the indecision will melt away.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
0F22FF29-2597-4BD6-B2E2-EB535784F7D1.jpeg B1C625E5-41DE-44C0-AB72-5767F6709FA0.jpeg
Just tried on this plain band halo and I love it. I love that the plain band isn’t fighting with the wedding band. I feel like I could then add other stackers in unique designs and not be overdoing it. What do you think?

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
0F22FF29-2597-4BD6-B2E2-EB535784F7D1.jpeg B1C625E5-41DE-44C0-AB72-5767F6709FA0.jpeg
Just tried on this plain band halo and I love it. I love that the plain band isn’t fighting with the wedding band. I feel like I could then add other stackers in unique designs and not be overdoing it. What do you think?

This is my favorite look. Pave on the E- ring band makes it too busy once you add sparkly wedding band, so I like one of the bands to be plain. I choose e-ring band to be plain so I can add bling to both sides.

FB014C3C-1B83-4B19-A3CE-8889D7504E13.jpeg
4AEA0950-C1B3-44AF-ADF3-EBF79C73C368.jpeg

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I think this is what I like the best also. I agree with you that it keeps the look less busy. I really loved this setting with my wedding ring. How much of an existing setting is OK to send in pictures to DK? I don’t want to ask him to copy someone else’s ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results