carat
color
clarity

Which combo to go with Mahenge trillions

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD,
I have to get to the bank again to take more pictures. The sapphire is there, it's heated only (AIGS and AGL reports). Thanks for the kind words on my gems, and I'd love to have some of your beauties as well. :naughty: :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew I had a photo of the sapphire with the trillions somewhere. They're all very sparkly stones.

TLsapphireandtrillions.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - how about this? I love it!

ETA: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just seen you've found a photo of them together!

TLs sapphire and mahenges.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like everything them with everything except the emerald.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1319329238|3045654 said:
TL - how about this? I love it!

ETA: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just seen you've found a photo of them together!

Thanks LD, I just found that as I was looking through my photo stash. Thanks for cutting and pasting them together. :bigsmile:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
This last sapphire is my favorite. Great color combination, perfect proportions. I think the cuprian is a little too wide now that I see them together.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either the sapphire or the mint tourmaline. They look very well with the cabochon, too, color-wise, but I am not sure they will look so great IRL because of such a difference in cuts. The emerald and Mahenges look great as a color combo, but honestly, the emerald is so gorgeous, I'd just set it alone, in diamonds.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread TL!

Ok so I am going to go against the grain just for a moment.
I have a strong idea of what that Muzo Emerald looks like IRL so I can't help but be pulled to that combo. I think the glow contrasting with the clear brilliance would make for a mouth dropping piece! That picture simply does not do the emerald justice.

I do agree with crasru that the Emerald set by itself would also be great!

Now for this pear sapphire! TL I absolutely love it! I was really pulling for the Emerald combo but now that I have seen the pear sapphire combo I am stunned! The color contrast is sooooooooo great! :appl:
~Justin

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
The proportions of the pear sapphire with the trillions is perfect, I think. The trillions are so striking that I really think they need a larger stone to balance them, and to keep them from overwhelming the ring. I like the combination of the colors, too, and I really didn't think I'd like the blue with the pink -- but it works!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the two strongest contenders in the box with the spinels, in the sun. I cut out a little gem that was in the box with these, as to not distract from the two combinations. The cuprian was the other strong contender, but I honestly think it's a little too wide for these side stones. While the tsavorite cab is beautiful, it just doesn't have the same saturation as the emerald. This emerald is amazing. It looks a million times better in person. The sapphire is more sparkly though.

TLgemcompares.JPG

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Oh TL I am so torn..... They both look great to me!! Much better picture of the Emerald as well. =) TL how wide is the emerald and sapphire individually?
~Justin

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL if you set that Emerald with those Mahenges I will NEVER speak to you again! :wink2:

You and I both have a love of Emeralds and I can't believe that you would take anything away from this stone by setting it with another colour. Some stones are supposed to be a centre piece - unrivalled for attention. Bright combos are so wrong for Emeralds - Emeralds remind me of afternoon teas on a manicured lawn with a scone under an umbrella not at a funfair with cotton candy (sorry!) - plus the proportions are wrong with the Emerald anyway!

xxxxxxxxxx

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1319474669|3046654 said:
Here are the two strongest contenders in the box with the spinels, in the sun. I cut out a little gem that was in the box with these, as to not distract from the two combinations. The cuprian was the other strong contender, but I honestly think it's a little too wide for these side stones. While the tsavorite cab is beautiful, it just doesn't have the same saturation as the emerald. This emerald is amazing. It looks a million times better in person. The sapphire is more sparkly though.

No, no, no to the emerald! Seriously. It deserves to be the star of the show, and using it with the spinels will do none of them justice.

I like the sapphire/spinel combo better, but if it were me (and how I wish it were!) I would give the sapphire its own showcase with diamond sidestones. Or even a halo :naughty: .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your opinions. I have so many halos, and I really really want to use these Mahenge trillions so bad because the color is so saturated. I remember seeing similar Mahenge trillions with Chrono's tsavorite, and that got me thinking it would look good with the emerald. The emerald is that rich medium dark color, and not quite as sparkly as a tsavorite though. I was thinking of using small bright yellow chysoberyl pears with the sapphire that I own, but if the Mahenge combo works better, than that's okay too. Here's another photo to confuse everyone.

Attachments

• TLsapphire_withchrys.bmp
    495.2 KB · Views: 474

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I certainly don't have the coloured stone knowledge that so many in this thread have, but I do have years of interior decor and colour experience and IMHO, I would go for the blue/yellow combination of the pears above. To my eye, that is the most pleasing! What a wonderful dilemma you are faced with! :tongue:

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1319482199|3046761 said:
Thanks for all your opinions. I have so many halos, and I really really want to use these Mahenge trillions so bad because the color is so saturated. I remember seeing similar Mahenge trillions with Chrono's tsavorite, and that got me thinking it would look good with the emerald. The emerald is that rich medium dark color, and not quite as sparkly as a tsavorite though. I was thinking of using small bright yellow chysoberyl pears with the sapphire that I own, but if the Mahenge combo works better, than that's okay too. Here's another photo to confuse everyone.

I :love: this combo!

And I like one of the original chrysos to go with the mahenges. Don't you already have a ring that has a similar color combo to the emerald/mahenge combo?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually already have a blue spinel with mahenge side stones, and so I would be making somewhat of a redundant ring, except that ring has pear mahenges and the center stone is a blue/violet color change spinel oval. Oh so torn!! ;( (I guess I could have worse problems, right??) :wacko:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
TL, is there any design that you can think of using just the trillions without a different colored center stone? None of the combos seems to be just right for your stones and many of your stones are too nice and really need to be set alone (like several others have said about the emerald). Would you consider making earrings out of the trillions?

The makeover ring for this emerald has got to be one of my favorite colored stone rings on PS. A beautiful intricate setting might suit your emerald perfectly:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extreme-makeover-emerald-edition.158547/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extreme-makeover-emerald-edition.158547/[/URL]

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1319507280|3047020 said:
TL, is there any design that you can think of using just the trillions without a different colored center stone? None of the combos seems to be just right for your stones and many of your stones are too nice and really need to be set alone (like several others have said about the emerald). Would you consider making earrings out of the trillions?

The makeover ring for this emerald has got to be one of my favorite colored stone rings on PS. A beautiful intricate setting might suit your emerald perfectly:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extreme-makeover-emerald-edition.158547/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extreme-makeover-emerald-edition.158547/[/URL]

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that makeover ring, but I want the setting for my emerald ring to be simpler, as gold prices are simply too high right now. I thought something simple, showcasing both the mahenge trillions and the emerald, would work, but so many people dislike the combination it seems. Setting multiple colored stones together is also cost effective to me, and unfortunately, earrings are not my thing. :blackeye:

My dream would be to set the emerald with trillion fancy yellows, but I don't have the funds for that right now. :((

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another better picture getting a bit more towards the true color of the emerald, and balancing on an 18K yellow gold halo mount. The color is very intense, so I thought putting it with two intensely sides, would be a good idea?????

TLemeraldyellowgold.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - I honestly don't like the sapphire/chryso combo. The sapphire is heartstoppingly gorgeous and to my eye, the chryso's are a little bit pale and one appears to have a window (maybe tilt window)? The saturation is wrong and out of synch for all the stones. I do know that the chryso's will put on a great sparkle show but I just keep thinking they look a bit wee coloured (apologies for the graphic description) and I can't get past that. :errrr:

You love big, strong "in yer face" rings and the chryso's just don't fit the bill for me on that basis. However, as you have a spinel/mahenge combo (that I know you love) I wonder if you need to revisit this project altogether and wait until something begs to be set with the mahenges rather than trying to use something you already have?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1319564911|3047361 said:
TL - I honestly don't like the sapphire/chryso combo. The sapphire is heartstoppingly gorgeous and to my eye, the chryso's are a little bit pale and one appears to have a window (maybe tilt window)? The saturation is wrong and out of synch for all the stones. I do know that the chryso's will put on a great sparkle show but I just keep thinking they look a bit wee coloured (apologies for the graphic description) and I can't get past that. :errrr:

You love big, strong "in yer face" rings and the chryso's just don't fit the bill for me on that basis. However, as you have a spinel/mahenge combo (that I know you love) I wonder if you need to revisit this project altogether and wait until something begs to be set with the mahenges rather than trying to use something you already have?

Actually, the chrysoberyls are more saturated than the photo gives them credit for, and they have amazing sparkle and luster, but I wish I had an 8x8 cushion mint garnet of fine quality, because I think that would be the perfect size, shape and color for the mahenge trillions, but I doubt I'll be able to find one, especially in the size, saturation and shape I need. I have my 1.8 carat oval mint garnet which is already in a rose gold setting, but I think it would be too small for the mahenges, although it is more of an elongated, but thin oval. It's super highly saturated, and that might be a possibility. I could then reuse the old mount for something else. I just hate to have to take out a stone that's already set to do another project. I like it in the setting it is in.

I really do want to set the emerald, sapphire and mahenge spinels. Maybe I could do a four stone ring with all of them :twirl: :wacko: :twirl: :wacko:

ETA: Photo of the 1.83 carat mint garnet in question. Thanks for the kind words LD!

TLmintgarnetoval2.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL I think that mint oval garnet may work. Can you pop the mahenges on the setting and take a photo so we can see the proportions. I've got a feeling that may be a winner (certainly in terms of colour and performance).

Oh and if you really aren't going to be using that sapphire .............. it may need a road trip to the UK :devil:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1319568521|3047400 said:
TL I think that mint oval garnet may work. Can you pop the mahenges on the setting and take a photo so we can see the proportions. I've got a feeling that may be a winner (certainly in terms of colour and performance).

Oh and if you really aren't going to be using that sapphire .............. it may need a road trip to the UK :devil:

LOL! LD, if I ever come across one like that again, I'll let you know. It's a Madagascar sapphire, but a lot of dealers thought it was Ceylon material when I brought it to the last gem show I was at (looking for settings). I think I may do a bypass ring with that and a pear shaped hot pink mahenge the same size.

Here's the photo (on a cloudy day).

TLmintgarnetandmahenge.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you move the sides up close to the garnet and put one on either side (I realise this will need extreme balancing skills) - also can you put the straight edges next to the garnet? Yes I know I'm asking the impossible but it's difficult to tell from the photo if the proportions will work - on first inspection, it looks like a winner!

Do you have any sticky tape or blutack that you could use to hold the undersides of the mahenges in place for the photo?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1319569536|3047411 said:
Can you move the sides up close to the garnet and put one on either side (I realise this will need extreme balancing skills) - also can you put the straight edges next to the garnet? Yes I know I'm asking the impossible but it's difficult to tell from the photo if the proportions will work - on first inspection, it looks like a winner!

Do you have any sticky tape or blutack that you could use to hold the undersides of the mahenges in place for the photo?

I don't have extreme balancing skills, nor tape/wax and it was super hard to get this shot. :errrr: If someone could photoshop the mahenge and put it right up against the mint garnet, that might help (and I might not drop a stone either!!).

I do love these colors together, and this mint garnet has the sparkle and color to hold it's own against the mahenge spinels I think. I just wish it were larger!! ;(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2.33 carat mahenge spinel pear that I was thinking of doing with the sapphire above in a bypass, similar to my Daniel M bypass with the tsavorite and spessartite, but I have a small faint pink diamond (around 30 points) that I was going to put in between them. The sizes of both stones are very similar. This is a fun thread, it's "the potential TL projects when I have the funds."

I definitely want to set the mahenge trillions though, they're first up on my list to do.

TLspineland2_33ct.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go - rough and ready but hope it gives you an idea.

TLs garnet and mahenges.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1319571436|3047432 said:
Here you go - rough and ready but hope it gives you an idea.

Thanks LD, I LOVE IT!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I think IRL, the mahenges will look slightly larger than that next to the mint garnet, because that photo is a larger picture of the stone than the second one above, which was taken with the spinel next to it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - I've used all the stones from the same picture so proportions should be right now - apologies for the awful mock up though!

TLs garnet and mahenges3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results