shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to start collecting/decorating with Art?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Be aware of framing costs.
It is not cheap to have a piece properly matted/framed with archival matting and UV protective glass. So be prepared to spend more on proper matting, framing and glass than on the piece itself.
I have many times seen someone almost faint when they bring an inexpensive piece in to be framed and find out how much a decent mat and frame cost.
Creating a nicely framed piece of wall art is like creating jewelry. You can either buy the pre-framed, mass market piece (mall jewelry) or you can get the piece that you love and pay to have it set properly (if it is not set how you want it).
If you want something to enjoy long term it is worth investing in good matting and framing. If you are looking for trendy you can buy mass market and replenish every couple years.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would love to see some pics of your art.

Thanks.=)2

I'll see if I can find some pics so I don't have to take things out of their frames to photograph them correctly.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
As you look around to develop your sense of what you like, here are a few of my colleagues that may be of interest. These are all well known and highly respected artists in the art community, but they are not well known by the general public so their work is priced very reasonably. They aren't cheap, but the quality of their work is very high compared to the price.

Remember too that the size of the artwork will play a role in its cost. For me, I'd rather have a high quality work that is smaller than a lesser piece that is larger.

And artists also have "studies" that are beautiful but they may not have them posted online. You can always ask if they have any at a lower price point if you like an artist but their usual prices don't fit your budget.

The other thing to know is that when you buy artwork from a gallery, the gallery takes a 50% commission. When you buy directly from an artist, the artist gets the full amount. (However, more established artists often only sell through their galleries, so you have to ask the individual artist what they prefer.)

Finally, it is totally okay to ask for a discount, especially if you are buying directly from an artist (and they aren't splitting their profit with the gallery.)

Enjoy:

Richard Oversmith
Asheville, NC

Elizabeth Robbins
Ogden, UT

Mary Qian
Chicago, IL

Haidee Jo Summers
UK

Eric Merrell
Pasadena, CA

Melissa Hefferlin