shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to start collecting/decorating with Art?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm interested in starting to collect and decorate with art, but I'm not sure where to get started. I think I would prefer buying originals, but am open to prints. I care less about buying from famous artists, more about buying what I like. I'm not entirely sure what I like yet either, as I'm totally new to art, but I don't want something super generic). Any ideas or suggestions? @RunningwithScissors

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I would try and narrow down subjects (nature, architectural, people...) or techniques (photography, sketches, watercolor) that you like.
One of the best shows I have been to is the Festival of the Arts in Laguna Beach, which is very diverse and has excellent artists of many styles. Browsing through may help you in narrowing down things you like.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely like nature, landscapes, and some abstract art. Prefer paintings (oil, acrylic, watercolor are all fine). Open to photography as well. I'm primarily looking more for paintings and prints, but I suppose sculptures and objects would work for an etagere. Are places like Fine Art America and Art.com good places to look?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the recommendation to go to art fairs. Look at everything and see what colors, textures, mediums you respond to. Buy what you love. Since you are just starting you will be able to find a spot for whatever you love. Try the pieces out in different rooms and lighting. Much further down the road you can concern yourself with coordinating new pieces into your existing collection and scale of the pieces to fill the holes in your collection. Think about your lifestyle, if you have an adventurous cat don’t buy delicate pieces unless you are willing to invest in really high shelves.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful idea! I read something (likely on here in a different thread) that a good place to buy art is at an art school... many students apparently may be interested to sell their work. I'm not sure how that works in a pandemic but might be worth looking into.

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
There is an app called “Artsy” that I have found enjoyable. Lots of different artists, price points and diversity.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When i was at intermediate school my best friend's parents owned a gallary that supported local up and coming artists
A very interesting place to visit after school

work out what you like and buy what you like
have fun
enjoy

Perhaps find a good framer
I used a framer who worked above a neadlepoint shop
he loved framing my art as a break from his usual cross stitch customers and in all honesty he did a much better job than my friend's dad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have found a couple local artists whose work we love and we support them by purchasing their paintings. One such artist has become relatively well known and now his work is out of our reach pretty much lol. We love (pre pandemic) walking around and visiting art galleries.

Here is one of our favorite "local" artists.

That is my recommendation. Buy what you love and from relatively unknown artists which makes it affordable. Personally, I am not a fan of prints.

Also we have bought from more "famous" artists when we have special occasions to celebrate and we want to splurge. Robert Cardinal is one of our favorites... and more well known artist.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Is there an online website that you recommend to search for local artists, since I can't go to galleries given the pandemic?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Is there an online website that you recommend to search for local artists, since I can't go to galleries given the pandemic?

It's not possible to share with you all the varied styles and artists but here is a small sampling of one of the areas we love going to for art.

lambertville online art galleries

And of course I shared my favorite local artist's website in my original post to you. HTH and enjoy!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I collect original watercolours and the occasional numbered and signed prints, started off with small size ones of famous scenes and buildings painted by street artists at places that I have visited.

I have started to get bigger ones, and have recently commissioned a local artist and friend from whom I had purchased a couple of small watercolours painted by her a couple of years ago.

It is A2 in size ( 420 x 594mm / 16.5 x 23.4 in ) with various local landmarks (chosen by me) in the town centre where I live, the main one in the centre being the front of the pub that I frequent - my favourite watering hole in town that I miss dearly.

Shown here at the framer's after I have picked out the mount colour and frame.

Painting_Devizes_ByronyCox.jpg

I am having some smaller prints made as gifts to a few friends.

DK :))

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try to buy from local artists.
They really need the money right now.
Check out galleries or their websites in your area and find an artist that you like and go from there.

You will be amazed at the talented painters and photographers that reside in your backyard!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would google art studio in addition to art galleries. In my area studios are more of an artist community and have all local art. Give them a call or check them out on FB as they may be doing outdoor events. One by me puts everything out in their parking lot 1-2 days a month.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Visit art galleries, art museums, antique shops and especially auction houses where you get the whole range at once and try to get a feeling of what you like. :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Lulie Wallace...discovered her through Anthropologie years ago.

Dale Chihuly (he's widely-known and for good reason)

Mab Graves is local to me. She has an Etsy store.

Greg Simkins has some stunning work involving animals--not your typical woodsy or cheesy stuff.

Nychos is pretty edgy and not for everyone but I love his work.

If you have Instagram you could follow some art-related hashtags and start finding artists who appeal to you that way. A lot of them post time-lapse videos of their work which is fun to watch because you get to see their process.

My parents were into collecting art for several years back when they were going to Florida a lot. They found many of their pieces and paintings at art fairs. I live near an artist colony and love to visit the town a couple times a year. I try to support local artists when possible. It's really about getting a feel for what is aesthetically pleasing or interesting to you. If the piece evokes something pleasurable or even oddly disconcerting it's worth a second look and consideration of adding it to your collection.

Do you like any classic artists? Any particular movements? Dali/surrealism, Monet/Impressionism, etc.? Are you interested in the artist's story, like Van Gogh? Maybe grab a few books showcasing the work of the masters and bookmark those you find appealing to help you narrow down your style.

Clearly, I could go on about this for ages so I'll wrap it up. Have fun delving into the art world!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hi MRBXXXFVVS1 :wavey:

I love that you are interested in buying original art!

When a person is beginning their exploration of original fine art, it can seem like there is a lot to take in. Just remember when we all started our search for beautiful diamonds!

The more you look at artwork, the more you'll start to figure out what styles you like and the better your eye will become at evaluating the skill level of the artist producing the work.

A great way to see a wide variety of work is to subscribe to a couple art magazines (or check them out from libraries.). There are two types of art magazines. One type is directed at artists and one is directed at collectors. You want the type for collectors. (The ones for artists focus on how-to tutorials). "Fine Art Connoisseur" and "Southwest Art" are two that are widely available in the US that focus on representational art (meaning art that is not abstract.)

Also, start looking around on Instagram and follow a few artists that catch your eye. Artists usually post their newest work on social media before it hits galleries, shows or fairs.

Going to art fairs, like several of our lovely PriceScopers suggested, is a great way too once the pandemic dies down. The same with strolling through galleries. (Never ever be intimidated by a gallery! March in there and look around and don't be afraid to ask questions! 99% of the art gallery staff will be happy you did, and the 1% who are snooty are doing the gallery, and especially the artists a disservice.)

Can you tell me what part of the country you live in? I'm familiar with what's going on in almost every region and can better direct you if I know your area.

And just a quick note about prints. If you want to buy original art, I agree, best to avoid certain types of prints, especially the ones that are just fancy computer print outs. These are called Giclées. Sometimes they are called other names and you'll have to do some sleuthing to see if they are just basically photo reproductions of artwork. A photo reproduction =/= original artowork.

However, there are categories of prints that are made by hand that are considered original art. These are called "hand-pulled" meaning the artist creates a plate by hand and then runs the plate through a printing press. Some categories of these are wood-block prints, linoleum cut prints, engravings, etchings, etc. These have value and shouldn't be looked down on.

I'm happy to have a conversation with you more in depth or be available to answer questions as they pop up. I wish there was a way to give you my contact info. I'll try to put a LoupeTroop listing up later today so you can reach me.

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Decide on a theme and go from there. I inherited a small painting in an ornate frame several years ago and I've built on that theme in two ways. The artist was local, started painting very late in life, and died after the age of 100. The painting is of mixed flowers in a vase. By slowly collecting finds at antique stores, I now have several floral paintings by local women artists who started painting late in life and lived to be over 100. My office walls are decorated with these paintings and remind me that it is never too late to do something that you love.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
One more thing to consider. Different mediums have different care requirements and longevity.

For example, works on paper, especially watercolor and gouache (opaque watercolor), are beautiful, but they will need more care (think pearls and opals) if you don't want them to fade quickly. Even if you put them under UV blocking glass.

Oil and acrylic paint will fair better over time and need far less care.

No art should ever be placed on a wall that is in direct sunlight.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
As you look around to develop your sense of what you like, here are a few of my colleagues that may be of interest. These are all well known and highly respected artists in the art community, but they are not well known by the general public so their work is priced very reasonably. They aren't cheap, but the quality of their work is very high compared to the price.

Remember too that the size of the artwork will play a role in its cost. For me, I'd rather have a high quality work that is smaller than a lesser piece that is larger.

And artists also have "studies" that are beautiful but they may not have them posted online. You can always ask if they have any at a lower price point if you like an artist but their usual prices don't fit your budget.

The other thing to know is that when you buy artwork from a gallery, the gallery takes a 50% commission. When you buy directly from an artist, the artist gets the full amount. (However, more established artists often only sell through their galleries, so you have to ask the individual artist what they prefer.)

Finally, it is totally okay to ask for a discount, especially if you are buying directly from an artist (and they aren't splitting their profit with the gallery.)

Enjoy:

Richard Oversmith
Asheville, NC

Elizabeth Robbins
Ogden, UT

Mary Qian
Chicago, IL

Haidee Jo Summers
UK

Eric Merrell
Pasadena, CA

Melissa Hefferlin
Chattanooga, TN

Suzie Baker,
Houston, TX

Suchitra Bhosle
Chicago, IL

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
You've received some great advice here.
One other thing I would suggest--save photos of rooms that you see online or in magazines that have artwork that you like. It will help you start thinking of how to display and scale.
Like what size and how high to hang a piece over a sofa or chest.

Displaying art is an art itself---not hanging a too small piece over a large sofa, hanging too high on the wall, hanging something that needs to be viewed close up in a location where you are viewing it 15' away, etc. Scale and viewing distance are important.
Like jewelry, I think art should be curated with an eye to lifetime choices. You are wise to think about how to start collecting.

It seems you are drawn to paintings. I would also encourage you to explore things like black and white woodblock prints or lithographs, or photography. Sometimes starting in black and white gives you some neutral pieces to live with while you develop your preferences on color.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all the detailed advice @RunningwithScissors ! I will definitely look into the recommendations and artists you provided. Excited to start my art collecting journey!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I bought this house over 20 years ago I was confronted with this dilemma.
I was sick of cheapo posters from Ikea.
I wanted good original art, but couldn't afford it.

So I took some art classes at the local college, and discovered I had some talent.
People who visit can't believe I painted what hangs on the walls.

I think people should give it a try (after the pandemic of course).
Even if you don't want to hang it on your walls, art is a wonderful hobby.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Decide on a theme and go from there. I inherited a small painting in an ornate frame several years ago and I've built on that theme in two ways. The artist was local, started painting very late in life, and died after the age of 100. The painting is of mixed flowers in a vase. By slowly collecting finds at antique stores, I now have several floral paintings by local women artists who started painting late in life and lived to be over 100. My office walls are decorated with these paintings and remind me that it is never too late to do something that you love.

I love this !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have limited edition prints by a NZ winemaker / artist Mike Ponder
The themes really resonate with me
They are of a girl in country clothes sometimes with horses
I need a bulk deal at a framer !

One day when my Bruce room is panted and decorated I'll get his posters framed too - alas no autographed but some limited editions from concerts

i was appaled when an older freind told me to just pin them up with drawing pins

my house is not a teenage bedroom !

I hang nic nacks on the wall
i like 3D
But im still learning how to display it so it doesn't look like a mad woman's breakfast

i have some nice carltonwear plates with flowers and fruit - Gary doesn't like them
I know they will be terrible dust collectors - but i want to hang a big swoop of them over the kitchen doorway

I need more practice with editing !

art is all in the eye of the beholder

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who is a high end interior designer. She frequents consignment shops and Goodwill in upscale neighborhoods. She snagged some nice paintings for me for peanuts. But that takes time and with Covid not so safe.
Look for high quality framing (with filets, for example)—-can indicate a nicer piece.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
We get art from Artfinder.com (lots of artists from around the world) as well as go to galleries or artists open houses/studios events. We actually have a mixture of paintings, drawings and photographs (and some ceramics and sculpture etc) but we just tend to group things around the house to keep it looking quite coherent. However, Pinterest proves that you can put paintings, photographs and drawings successfully together too but it just takes a better eye than I’ve got lol.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too collect original art. I inherited a few pieces from my family but have also added to my landscape collection by looking at charity/goodwill shops! You’d be amazed at what you find. :mrgreen:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I bought this house over 20 years ago I was confronted with this dilemma.
I was sick of cheapo posters from Ikea.
I wanted good original art, but couldn't afford it.

So I took some art classes at the local college, and discovered I had some talent.
People who visit can't believe I painted what hangs on the walls.

I think people should give it a try (after the pandemic of course).
Even if you don't want to hang it on your walls, art is a wonderful hobby.

would love to see some pics of your art.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my art is from dead relatives and travel. i love to pick up art from our trips abroad. All types including sculpture, paintings, textiles, glass, ceramics, etc. As the wall art is eclectic, I started framing everything in black lacquer frames to tie it all in. The framing always cost more than the art.... The only exceptions to the black lacquer frames are oil paintings, some watercolors and acrylics. I have framed really crazy stuff that would not be considered wall art such as tribal jewelry, crewel (sp?) work from a small village and other things. I have also displayed wooden, copper and lacquerware pieces on the wall. Each piece is unique and reminds us of our trips. I used to have all white walls but have branched out with color ( bucking the all greys trend which I love btw) and found choosing wall color is difficult to go with the art. Art is so subjective... buy what you lOVE. So , long story short, the art will find you when you search for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results