shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I get a schlumberger x band copy (if that's possible)?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So, after being on this forum I've come to realize that it is possible to get an exact replica of items and not pay the brand name price!

I will ask you folks to lend me your sleuthing skills!
I'd like to get this ring as my wedding band:
schlumberger.jpg
Does anyone know a good jeweler who can do an exact replica? I'd prefer to have it as close as possible. The old me would have said that the brand does it best and a copy wouldn't come close. But now, I'm sure there's a jeweler out there who can make a copy close enough to maybe even fool the Tiffany staff :D

Thanks!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may be able to locate a ring that is similar, but it is not fair to copy a current setting. You should seek to change at least 20% of the design. Its infringement (whether a legal issue or not) and bad form. You can, however, find lots of designers that will make settings inspired by others. What aspects of the design could you adjust to make it not a replica? Looking online, Tiffany has made this ring in rounds and cushions and gemstones; all one metal color and mixed metal.

Custom designers include David Klass, Brilliantly Engaged, Mytal Hannah (hand-forged), and Steven Kirsch (hand forged).

@kspoll Welcome to PS. We welcome any information or content you can offer, but it is bad form to post messages with the primary intent of driving traffic to your blog.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second everything that @rockysalamander said.

@tfc_diamondlvr instead of looking to replicate such an iconic band, I would honestly just look for a pre-loved option. It might take some time, but to me knowing that you have an original piece will be more valuable than having one replicated. Sites that I would browse through are: LT, DiamondBistro, RubyLane, eBay, idonowidont, therealreal, tradesy, etc

Here is one on eBay for example: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Auth...ond-and-Platinum-Ring-Size-5-25-/263010314748

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget and size? Maybe we can find a preloved one for you?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, after being on this forum I've come to realize that it is possible to get an exact replica of items and not pay the brand name price!

But now, I'm sure there's a jeweler out there who can make a copy close enough to maybe even fool the Tiffany staff :D

I very sincerely hope this is not, in fact, your takeaway from your time on this forum.
This is stealing, plain and simple.

Yes, there are vendors who steal other vendors’ designs, who ignore cease and desist orders... but do you really want to enable an operation of that amoral calibre?

Your old you was right: the brand is going to make it best. If you can’t stomach the premium for the name (and here I can’t blame you), then go for an inspired by - take the elements you love, change the design enough that it’s not a clone attempt, make it uniquely yours.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can change it a bit like others have said and have DK do it... his new(ish) uber bench is very good!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I very sincerely hope this is not, in fact, your takeaway from your time on this forum.

Yes, there are vendors who steal other vendors’ designs, who ignore cease and desist orders... but do you really want to enable an operation of that amoral calibre?

Your old you was right: the brand is going to make it best. If you can’t stomach the premium for the name (and here I can’t blame you), then go for an inspired by - take the elements you love, change the design enough that it’s not a clone attempt, make it uniquely yours.

Agree with this advice for all the reasons stated. Do a custom “inspired by” or get the real thing.

There are about a dozen of these rings on truefacets website right now, about $7-8K. TF authenticates and has a good return policy on most items so low risk for pre-loved.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You may be able to locate a ring that is similar, but it is not fair to copy a current setting. You should seek to change at least 20% of the design. Its infringement (whether a legal issue or not) and bad form. You can, however, find lots of designers that will make settings inspired by others. What aspects of the design could you adjust to make it not a replica? Looking online, Tiffany has made this ring in rounds and cushions and gemstones; all one metal color and mixed metal.

Custom designers include David Klass, Brilliantly Engaged, Mytal Hannah (hand-forged), and Steven Kirsch (hand forged).

@kspoll Welcome to PS. We welcome any information or content you can offer, but it is bad form to post messages with the primary intent of driving traffic to your blog.

I second everything that @rockysalamander said.

@tfc_diamondlvr instead of looking to replicate such an iconic band, I would honestly just look for a pre-loved option. It might take some time, but to me knowing that you have an original piece will be more valuable than having one replicated. Sites that I would browse through are: LT, DiamondBistro, RubyLane, eBay, idonowidont, therealreal, tradesy, etc

Here is one on eBay for example: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Auth...ond-and-Platinum-Ring-Size-5-25-/263010314748

What is your budget and size? Maybe we can find a preloved one for you?

You can change it a bit like others have said and have DK do it... his new(ish) uber bench is very good!

Agree with this advice for all the reasons stated. Do a custom “inspired by” or get the real thing.

There are about a dozen of these rings on truefacets website right now, about $7-8K. TF authenticates and has a good return policy on most items so low risk for pre-loved.

Thanks so much PSers for your feedback!
I guess I misinterpreted some of the threads on this website. I remember reading threads that talk about certain e-rings being replicated so I thought that was a standard thing.
I would definitely love to find something 'inspired' by that looks just as fun (maybe even better looking!). If you folks have any ideas, feel free to send some concepts my way!

I'm also starting to look for preloved items. My budget is pretty low right now - looking around 4 - 6k.

Thanks for all of the help thus far! You folks are always so helpful and insightful!!!!!!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The boards are full of people who made copies of settings, only to find out they were too dissimilar to the original or poorly made. If you're set on that particular band, I would just get it pre-owned or new.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for pre-owned rather than copying this ring. I have seen a version with baguettes that Tiffany doesn't make anymore and is hard to find second-hand - that I could see copying. But if you want the classic round version, there are plenty floating around pre-loved.

Have you considered how you'll like wearing such a heavy band? I only ask because I remember a thread on here where a woman got a hefty eternity band made and then found it wasn't as practical or comfortable as she expected. I tried this same Schlumberger x ring on a couple of weeks ago and it was substantial. You could get a fakey from someplace like Eve's addiction to try it out and see.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered how you'll like wearing such a heavy band? I only ask because I remember a thread on here where a woman got a hefty eternity band made and then found it wasn't as practical or comfortable as she expected. I tried this same Schlumberger x ring on a couple of weeks ago and it was substantial. You could get a fakey from someplace like Eve's addiction to try it out and see.

I second that - it’s a seriously substantial brand. I tried it on and wouldn’t consider wearing it with another ring on the same finger

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, and also bear in mind - this ring is seriously uncomfortable - it is super wide between the fingers and pokes quite a bit the neighbouring fingers. Please try it on before commiting to be sure that this is something you actually can und want to wear daily

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium

What's your finger size, @tfc_diamondlvr ? I'm stuck in bed with stomach flu and would just as happily trowel through web sites looking for something for you as do anything else.

I'm so sorry to hear about your flu bug!
Feel free to scour the web for a preloved ring for me!
My size is around 4.5-5 (it's a true 4.5, but I guess it just depends on the ring?)

The boards are full of people who made copies of settings, only to find out they were too dissimilar to the original or poorly made. If you're set on that particular band, I would just get it pre-owned or new.

I agree. I think if I want that exact look, then pre-loved it is. Thanks for your advice!

Another vote for pre-owned rather than copying this ring. I have seen a version with baguettes that Tiffany doesn't make anymore and is hard to find second-hand - that I could see copying. But if you want the classic round version, there are plenty floating around pre-loved.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I never really thought about the every day comfort. I tried it on in the store and thought it was lovely, but maybe it's not a great everyday wedding band?
Thanks for your insight! I do love substantial jewelry though. I'm hoping to switch my e-ring from Tiffany's to something more substantial.

I second that - it’s a seriously substantial brand. I tried it on and wouldn’t consider wearing it with another ring on the same finger

It didn't look completely out of place with the e-ring, but it was quite 'busy'. So, perhaps it's not the best choice. Maybe the jazz band might be better (from Tiffany's). Or from somewhere else. I'm going to get (if everything works out) the tiffany setting with the channel set diamond band as my new e-ring.

Oh, and also bear in mind - this ring is seriously uncomfortable - it is super wide between the fingers and pokes quite a bit the neighbouring fingers. Please try it on before commiting to be sure that this is something you actually can und want to wear daily

I was worried about the poking. Perhaps I should go in and try on the ring again if I really get serious with everything!

Thanks everyone for your advice and insights.
I love how PSers take care of each other! Such a loving community!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried that band on as well and found it uncomfortable between the fingers. It wouldn't work for me on a daily basis but it might for you - just try it on again to be sure!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A number of preloved sites have that ring for sale. It depends on your size. True Facet has one that's a 6.5. 1st Dibs has one, and I'm sure there are more out there.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you are going to look for a pre-loved authentic one. The ring we talk most about making replicas of is the Tiffany setting, and that setting has been made for 100 years and really is no longer unique. So yes, many of us have 6 prong, knife edge solitaires made, but that has long been made in variations by a vast number of jewelers. Making replicas of an antique design is a little different than making replicas of a currently sold branded piece that has a unique design like the ring you are interested in. I think you'll get a lot more pleasure of having the real Tiffany ring in this case, and it would be difficult to find someone to replicate it anyway who also had the high level of skill to do it. I seriously doubt top ringmakers would even consider remaking a well known branded piece.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is the cut quality of the 16 stones though? I will try one on in NYC in December.

maddydaddy

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Sorry for raising an old post, but it is one of the few that show up very high on Google, so I figure it would be useful for anyone searching for anything similar.

I wanted to ask, are there known counterfeits of this ring? I am asking basically to know if it's safe to buy on the secondhand market. There are tons of articles out there that show the difference between real and fake Tiffany silver bracelets, but I've not see any information anywhere that ever shows a documented instance of a fake sixteen stone ring (with duplicated hallmarks etc.).

I have a really discerning eye for this kind of thing, but I know counterfeiters can be very crafty nowadays. Can anyone confirm either way?

Thank you!!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

Sorry for raising an old post, but it is one of the few that show up very high on Google, so I figure it would be useful for anyone searching for anything similar.

I wanted to ask, are there known counterfeits of this ring? I am asking basically to know if it's safe to buy on the secondhand market. There are tons of articles out there that show the difference between real and fake Tiffany silver bracelets, but I've not see any information anywhere that ever shows a documented instance of a fake sixteen stone ring (with duplicated hallmarks etc.).

I have a really discerning eye for this kind of thing, but I know counterfeiters can be very crafty nowadays. Can anyone confirm either way?

Thank you!!

I’m betting almost every Tiffany piece has counterfeits. If buying second hand, ask for proof of purchase (like original receipt) or buy from places like ‘the real real’ that guarantees it is authentic

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the op was talking about an "inspired by" ring (definitely exists) as opposed to counterfeit (also certainly exists). the proof of purchase and even packaging can be faked too, but you'd be able to have the stones and metal tested to at least make sure they match the specs.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes. There absolutely are copies. As far as I’m aware, none using diamonds.

maddydaddy

Rough_Rock
i think the op was talking about an "inspired by" ring (definitely exists) as opposed to counterfeit (also certainly exists). the proof of purchase and even packaging can be faked too, but you'd be able to have the stones and metal tested to at least make sure they match the specs.

Yes, I understand the OP wasn't looking to actively buy a counterfeit and did not mean to imply otherwise. But this thread came up when I searched to get info on the existence of copies, so I thought it would potentially help others in future.

Yes. There absolutely are copies. As far as I’m aware, none using diamonds.

Do you mean to say the overall design is copied into costume jewelry form, e.g. eve's addiction? Or are you saying that counterfeits are out there being represented as authentic Tiffany, but made with fake materials? Or even with real materials, but not really from Tiffany's?

maddydaddy

Rough_Rock
If anyone cares to see the ring I am looking at, this is it. I have examined the hallmarks and they look spot on, though from what I've seen out there, the hallmarks have changed over the years. The (c) before Tiffany and Co. is not always present, and the Schlumberger Studios text used to be in a different font. But I've also attached a photo of an actual Tiffany print ad, and it does match. 31_j-coll-201326.jpg IMG_1918.jpeg IMG_1915.jpeg IMG_1916.jpeg IMG_1917.jpeg

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What I’ve seen is costume exact replicas and one diamond replica (now that I think of it) but this one wasn’t pretending to be Tiffany.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The one you are looking at looks authentic, but so do some replicas. If you had a jeweler look at it would you be happy?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go a lot by the seller reviews. Have they sold other designer pieces and have high reviews? I've bought Tiffany pieces (not silver) from ebay and didn't really worry too much because I wasn't overpaying for the items' value. If the reviews are great, I'd probably buy it.

maddydaddy

Rough_Rock
The one you are looking at looks authentic, but so do some replicas. If you had a jeweler look at it would you be happy?

I would just really like to see a verified counterfeit (i.e. real materials, fake hallmarks), if they exist, to compare.
I think the design is straightforward and ubiquitous and enduring enough for there to be fakes out there, but if there are then I would expect I'm not the first to come across one and there would be examples out there. This is the first item where I've looked for counterfeit examples and not seen a single thread or conversation to date.

re: 'would I be happy?' Hmmm... I don't have the answer to that. If the materials, quality and build are identical and it passes a jeweler's inspection, then what's the difference ultimately, except for the Tiffany markup?

Like, if I got a certified 2CT F color triple X solitaire mounted in a plain six prong ring, I wouldn't care in the slightest if it were really from Tiffany or not (provided the price made sense). On the other hand, I do have Tacori rings and have paid the brand name markup, mostly because their craftsmanship is so unique and intricate that 1) it's very easily identifiable as Tacori and 2) I don't think the design can be counterfeited easily anyway.

I'd go a lot by the seller reviews. Have they sold other designer pieces and have high reviews? I've bought Tiffany pieces (not silver) from ebay and didn't really worry too much because I wasn't overpaying for the items' value. If the reviews are great, I'd probably buy it.

My honest feeling is that this item may be a high quality fake, i.e. real materials but not real Tiffany (despite my original post). This seller is from Poshmark (which will authenticate, how rigorously?), and while they have a long track record, they do have a few of this ring (different stones, different sizes etc), all with identical hallmarks. Given the variety of different hallmarks for this ring over the years, I don't feel it's likely that a second hand dealer would have only one type, without variation. And the price is very low, given the condition. But who knows... maybe this version of the hallmark is more common/widespread?

I probably will purchase, and take it to get authenticated/appraised, and overall rather confident I will be happy with it, but I don't think I will feel 100% it came from T&Co.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results