shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I get a schlumberger x band copy (if that's possible)?

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
So far as I know (my niece worked at the Tiffany flagship store during the holidays the past couple of years) & based on what we've heard here in the past 5-8 years, @Pinot Noir , Tiffany policy is -- and has been for some time -- that they will issue a Retail Price Update to only an original purchaser/owner who can provide documentation of that status. (Altho' I imagine they make exception for a Very Important Piece specially designed and fabricated for someone)

Am curious to hear what she comes up with next! :think:

Just realized I'm not certain of something: does this eBay seller have a "no returns" policy?

@MollyMalone
Yes I also was surprised how come they took it in for inspection and appraisal! Honestly...
The seller has "no returns" policy yes, but she immediately agreed to take the item back in when I received it and complained. Now the order is in the status of "cancelled" but I still can leave feedback. I still have all the proof including original listing where you can see the problematic cross pattern.
I am seriously thinking whether I even should continue arguing with the seller but to take it to the resolution center of PayPal.
I want to report this to eBay but want to make sure they actually take action. My experience is that they see that the item was returned, buyer refunded and then they don't care anymore. I really want to make it right given such blunt lies of this seller.

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I reported the seller to Tiffany with all the details and photos. I hope they will actually get back to me. That would be fantastic if they did!
And here's my new ring which just arrived and looks like it's okay :))) IMG_20200224_135954.jpg

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Hi all, here is another ring from the same seller currently for sale. Please let me know if you also think that the engraving is dodgy or am I being picky?? This is not "Jean" but "Lynn" model.

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 8.24.48 AM.png

EC8

Shiny_Rock
I own an authentic 16 stone T&Co. Schlumberger ring, the “Studios” part of the hallmark is not part of my ring’s hallmark and is unfamiliar.

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
I own an authentic 16 stone T&Co. Schlumberger ring, the “Studios” part of the hallmark is not part of my ring’s hallmark and is unfamiliar.

Thanks @EC8 - when did you buy the ring? is it laser engraved or embossed?
I'll go to Tiffany's today and have a look at the rings for sale over there as well.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @EC8 - when did you buy the ring? is it laser engraved or embossed?
I'll go to Tiffany's today and have a look at the rings for sale over there as well.

My ring is older, so it is embossed; Tiffany & Co. Schlumberger 750 on one gold insert, PT 950 on the platinum insert with another gold insert that is blank.

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks @EC8! I will also go to Tiffany's today and check out/try these rings. What I don't like in that Lynn ring is actually uneven letters of the engraving.

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Hi all, just an update...
So I went to Tiffany's today with my new ring and necklace just for routine cleaning and everything seems to be ok.
My new band has lasered markings inside. What was interesting is that people in the shop didn't even look at the markings inside the ring. They looked at the setting itself, from the outside. Which made me wonder what exactly they are looking at of course! Although I'm sure no one would have told me if I asked :)))
I also had a look at the newest bands and they all seem to have embossed markings. Very interesting...

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, just an update...
So I went to Tiffany's today with my new ring and necklace just for routine cleaning and everything seems to be ok.
My new band has lasered markings inside. What was interesting is that people in the shop didn't even look at the markings inside the ring. They looked at the setting itself, from the outside. Which made me wonder what exactly they are looking at of course! Although I'm sure no one would have told me if I asked :)))
I also had a look at the newest bands and they all seem to have embossed markings. Very interesting...

I'm happy to hear that Pinot Noir! I have been following your thread. You new ring is beautiful! Did you ask them to just clean the ring while at Tiffany, or did you ask for a polish? Did they do it while you waited or was it sent away for service? Did you tell them you bought it previously owned?

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
I'm happy to hear that Pinot Noir! I have been following your thread. You new ring is beautiful! Did you ask them to just clean the ring while at Tiffany, or did you ask for a polish? Did they do it while you waited or was it sent away for service? Did you tell them you bought it previously owned?

Hey @OdetteOdile! Yes I asked them to just clean because it actually didn't need polishing since it's actually in great condition. I live in Singapore and here they have those ultrasound cleaning machines right in the stores: vca, Tiffany, Cartier etc. So cleaning they do right on the spot and you wait.
However, before they take the item in, they thoroughly check it. I brought in my Schlumberger Lynn necklace (100% authentic) as well and the lady also examined it with the loupe on the front side. My guess is that when they take it inside they might also do some verifications, so that the customer does not see what they are doing.
I didn't say it was pre owned, just to keep the experiment clean. But from my experience with vca, Cartier, Hermes and Tiffany - their procedures are all the same, regardless. I remember coming into VCA with their ring together with certificate, receipt etc but the ring still was checked with the loupe from all sides.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine purchased October in US says “studios” - just fyi

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @OdetteOdile! Yes I asked them to just clean because it actually didn't need polishing since it's actually in great condition. I live in Singapore and here they have those ultrasound cleaning machines right in the stores: vca, Tiffany, Cartier etc. So cleaning they do right on the spot and you wait.
However, before they take the item in, they thoroughly check it. I brought in my Schlumberger Lynn necklace (100% authentic) as well and the lady also examined it with the loupe on the front side. My guess is that when they take it inside they might also do some verifications, so that the customer does not see what they are doing.
I didn't say it was pre owned, just to keep the experiment clean. But from my experience with vca, Cartier, Hermes and Tiffany - their procedures are all the same, regardless. I remember coming into VCA with their ring together with certificate, receipt etc but the ring still was checked with the loupe from all sides.

Interesting! Thank you for your reply!

maddydaddy

Rough_Rock
@Pinot Noir, I am glad to see my post helped someone. And glad you ultimately got the real thing! I wouldn't beat yourself much about "something so obvious" -- I looked at buying this ring for our 10th anniversary on and off for years in advance and never noticed until it was in my hands (at which point it WAS immediately clear). What's more, as you probably saw, there was NOWHERE to find any info on fake 16 stone rings, so this was all uncharted waters heretofore. As far as I can tell, NOBODY ever noticed. I'd be curious if even Tiffany's would notice -- whoever you get is an imperfect human being too.

Also, Lynn ring!! :kiss2: I'm also on the lookout!

Having read through the subsequent posts, I have a few things I'd like to add:

#1 the lack of alternating Xs is definitely, definitely the quick instant dead giveaway. Not even a 1% chance they are real.

#2 the hallmarks are NOT a giveaway -- they have changed throughout the years and the ones on the fakes match Tiffany's current markings. But any seller with too many (or all) of only the laser-marked hallmarks should be a warning flag.

#3. Not totally positive, but fairly certain the size and location of the gold plaque that the hallmarks are engraved on is also an indicator. I've seen it mounted so that it covers only an even number of stones, but always symmetrically. Either overlapping both pairs of stones from the back on both sides of the plaque, or I've also seen it covering only one of the pair of stones, but again on both sides.

See attached for pictures of the fakie. One side is mounted covering both stones (and not precisely), and the other side is mounted covering only one stone. Doesn't seem right. 2020-08-20 (1).jpg 2020-08-20.jpg

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
@Pinot Noir, I am glad to see my post helped someone. And glad you ultimately got the real thing! I wouldn't beat yourself much about "something so obvious" -- I looked at buying this ring for our 10th anniversary on and off for years in advance and never noticed until it was in my hands (at which point it WAS immediately clear). What's more, as you probably saw, there was NOWHERE to find any info on fake 16 stone rings, so this was all uncharted waters heretofore. As far as I can tell, NOBODY ever noticed. I'd be curious if even Tiffany's would notice -- whoever you get is an imperfect human being too.

Also, Lynn ring!! :kiss2: I'm also on the lookout!

Having read through the subsequent posts, I have a few things I'd like to add:

#1 the lack of alternating Xs is definitely, definitely the quick instant dead giveaway. Not even a 1% chance they are real.

#2 the hallmarks are NOT a giveaway -- they have changed throughout the years and the ones on the fakes match Tiffany's current markings. But any seller with too many (or all) of only the laser-marked hallmarks should be a warning flag.

#3. Not totally positive, but fairly certain the size and location of the gold plaque that the hallmarks are engraved on is also an indicator. I've seen it mounted so that it covers only an even number of stones, but always symmetrically. Either overlapping both pairs of stones from the back on both sides of the plaque, or I've also seen it covering only one of the pair of stones, but again on both sides.

See attached for pictures of the fakie. One side is mounted covering both stones (and not precisely), and the other side is mounted covering only one stone. Doesn't seem right. 2020-08-20 (1).jpg 2020-08-20.jpg

Hi @maddydaddy
This is so interesting!
So far I've seen a number of rings already and this is what I think:
#1: yes, totally agree. No idea why they would even do it this way?.. If you are paying to much attention to the rest of the details when you are making a replica, why would you do this? Unless this is deliberate...
#2: hallmarks ARE a giveaway in my view. You just have to know where to look at. Currently what Tiffany is selling is embossed engravings but quite for some time they have been selling lasered ones. The older embossed ones are really older and vintage. What replicas can't do is crisp and clear engravings, consistent fonts and sizing. I would like to see more of the engravings of the ring you've attached - are they available? Very very curious.
#3: these may differ depending of the ring size, so not necessarily a giveaway. There has to be a hallmark with PT950 which has to be positioned on two stones exactly - this is true.
What I don't like in this ring in the photo are crosses which are very wide BUT - all Schlumberger rings are made by hand and after having a chat to few professionals, I've been told they've seen these kind of crosses on authentic rings as well. So I would have a closer peek into the insides on this ring to see what is going on here. Images are quite blurred, so it is difficult to make sense of them but I don't like the look and feel of 750 font on the plaque and it seems to be a bit off as well...

I just had a nice Lynn ring size 6. These rings in my view are even more intricate and harder to replicate due to the very specific pattern. It's also interesting how Tiffany manages sizing on both 16 stone and Lynn rings :)))

IMG_20200513_133033.jpg IMG_20200513_133008.jpg

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Going back to this topic: just recently went to Tiffany's and tried new Schlumberger rings. I own 5 pre-owned rings now and had in my hands a few more as well which I passed to the new owners. Almost all of them with the documents, some of them sent to Tiffany's just for cleaning, one of them sent for servicing and minor polishing. What can I say - the newer rings which are sold at Tiffany's are much more light in weight. They are MUCH slimmer as well. I weighed 16 stone pure platinum ring that I have and it turned out to be about 18 grams (I might post the photos tomorrow with the examples). Whatever I tried in Tiffany's yesterday was nowhere near that weight.
I took some photos and will try to show comparison between the one I have and the one I've seen in the store. Actually glad that I own those old used heavy ones....

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going back to this topic: just recently went to Tiffany's and tried new Schlumberger rings. I own 5 pre-owned rings now and had in my hands a few more as well which I passed to the new owners. Almost all of them with the documents, some of them sent to Tiffany's just for cleaning, one of them sent for servicing and minor polishing. What can I say - the newer rings which are sold at Tiffany's are much more light in weight. They are MUCH slimmer as well. I weighed 16 stone pure platinum ring that I have and it turned out to be about 18 grams (I might post the photos tomorrow with the examples). Whatever I tried in Tiffany's yesterday was nowhere near that weight.
I took some photos and will try to show comparison between the one I have and the one I've seen in the store. Actually glad that I own those old used heavy ones....

That is interesting! Looking forward to seeing photos

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
I've made some collages, not sure if difference is obvious in them - I could not take too many photos in the store of course...
I was eyeing these rings at Tiffany's for quite some time, unsure about what was going on: are they really different or not? After I actually took them in hand, I realised I was right...
The ring that I tried was with the pink sapphires - I do not have this one myself but I have others: with sapphires, tsavorites and rubies. So I know look and feel of these rings very well.
Basically, the new rings felt flimsy compared to the old ones.
Attaching my mockups.
The one I am holding in my hand is circa 2003 (I have the original Tiffany report) and these are the differences that I can point out quite easily:
- weight: older ring is much heavier. When you take it with your hand, you can really feel how heavy it is. New ring is much, much lighter
- crosses are "slimmer". Old ring: crosses are fuller, thicker
- rims (see second photo from the side): old ring is thicker overall, new ring is narrower in the rim area
- overall size: I know some people complain about Schlumberger ring that it's challenging to wear because it's so wide and it's"biting" into the fingers. It's true you have to get used to it but beauty is worth it. New ring is less "protruding" maybe because of the rims modification.

Overall conclusion: I would buy old pre-owned rings to be frank. Would not buy the new one from the store, not impressed at all.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 9.15.03 AM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 9.15.04 AM (1).jpeg

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
Two of these are up for auction on sothebys. Size Q.

DrewLKO

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the in depth converstation here! I've been eyeing one of these for my wife for our 5 year anniversary. I just simply cant afford the 10k for a new one, but I've found several used for around 6.5 or 7k. Looking at these two on ebay Im assuming they are both fake? The first one, the placement of the "Tiffany & Co" on the inside of the ring covers 1.5 stones, the placement doesnt seem consistent with what is described above. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co...443169?hash=item5b71edf161:g:~nMAAOSwf71dEldF

The second one I cant get a good look at that placement but the banner that the "Tiffany & Co" is lasered on seems too wide? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co...443169?hash=item5b71edf161:g:~nMAAOSwf71dEldF

This one seems closer but the pics are bad :/

I'd really love and appreciate your input if you have the time!

DrewLKO

Rough_Rock
And this website Bonanza is selling a ton of them, decent quality but based on the emblem PT950 not covering two stones they seem fake as well!

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the in depth converstation here! I've been eyeing one of these for my wife for our 5 year anniversary. I just simply cant afford the 10k for a new one, but I've found several used for around 6.5 or 7k. Looking at these two on ebay Im assuming they are both fake? The first one, the placement of the "Tiffany & Co" on the inside of the ring covers 1.5 stones, the placement doesnt seem consistent with what is described above. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co...443169?hash=item5b71edf161:g:~nMAAOSwf71dEldF

The second one I cant get a good look at that placement but the banner that the "Tiffany & Co" is lasered on seems too wide? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co...443169?hash=item5b71edf161:g:~nMAAOSwf71dEldF

This one seems closer but the pics are bad :/

I'd really love and appreciate your input if you have the time!

The second link you gave is the same as the first one.

Personally I think all these rings look authentic. Schlumberger rings are handmade and as far as I've seen, there's actually no super precise requirement on the placement of this strip as long as it is in place roughly where required.

First ring even comes with the receipt. Engraving is nice and hammered. No other obvious flaws although it is hard to judge based only on 3 photos. The ring looks used which is good, brand new one would be suspicious.

Bonanza one - I also don't see anything particularly wrong with the ring. As long as they send you what is advertised of course.

However, still it is almost impossible to precisely authenticate the item without actually seeing it.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus one on everything Pinot Noir said!:wavey:

DrewLKO

Rough_Rock
The second link you gave is the same as the first one.

Personally I think all these rings look authentic. Schlumberger rings are handmade and as far as I've seen, there's actually no super precise requirement on the placement of this strip as long as it is in place roughly where required.

First ring even comes with the receipt. Engraving is nice and hammered. No other obvious flaws although it is hard to judge based only on 3 photos. The ring looks used which is good, brand new one would be suspicious.

Bonanza one - I also don't see anything particularly wrong with the ring. As long as they send you what is advertised of course.

However, still it is almost impossible to precisely authenticate the item without actually seeing it.

Sorry, this is the link for the second ring! It seems to be newer and in better condition, and cheaper. Only downside is no returns. But I plan to try to take it to Tiffanys to have them clean it and hopefully I can get some insight on its authenticity by trying that. Not sure what that process looks like, just ask them to clean it and if they do its probably real and if they refuse its because its fake? https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGI-Tiffan...953868?hash=item44472db4cc:g:vHQAAOSwA5Rdj18r

Pinot Noir

Rough_Rock
Sorry, this is the link for the second ring! It seems to be newer and in better condition, and cheaper. Only downside is no returns. But I plan to try to take it to Tiffanys to have them clean it and hopefully I can get some insight on its authenticity by trying that. Not sure what that process looks like, just ask them to clean it and if they do its probably real and if they refuse its because its fake? https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGI-Tiffan...953868?hash=item44472db4cc:g:vHQAAOSwA5Rdj18r

It looks newer because it is stated in the listing that it has been polished.

I've seen many listings on eBay and I can see that these are the photos that I previously seen elsewhere. Does not mean you will receive a fake ring but most likely it will not be exactly the one you see. One of the pics in this listing is the same as one from the other listing, for example. Sometimes people just take someone else's photos just because they look nice.

You can ask for photos of the actual ring and then study them.
Regarding taking it to Tiffany's for cleaning: we discussed it here before that this is not a 100% guarantee for many reasons: SA may not be skilled enough, or not attentive, or may not care too much.

Guaranteed authenticity would be some servicing like polishing by Tiffany or other services. This is where they would have to take the ring in, send it to the workshop where specialists would examine it with scrutiny. Cleaning is a nice method just for some inner peace but typically I rely on my own judgment here.

Another option for you is to try and look for the rings which come with the original Tiffany valuation reports.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results