shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find a thin band w/high setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IHeartHandbags

Rough_Rock
m a newbie here and am just beginning my e-ring search. I think I''d like to look for a ~1.5 ct. asscher, square emerald, or princess cut solitaire set in a classic high setting. The thing is that I have a very thin, small finger (size 3.5), and don''t like the way most of the bands I''ve seen online; most of them appear wide to me and I''m afraid they would look thick and tacky on my finger, especially when coupled with a wedding band. Do any of you know of places that carry or can custom make very thin & delicate e-ring/wedding band sets? I''m going for the rock-floating-on-finger look :) , and would rather that the band not be very noticeable at all. Any suggestions = greatly appreciated!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to tell the real size of a setting from a picture when the width of the band is not given...
But from your description a knife-edge band comes to mind asap. Some are *very* knife edge: the profile of the band turns 90 degrees towards the stone with just a thin edge of metal showing. The receipe is not too common, but I think "Gliterata" (avatar name) has one like that.

And then there are the typical thin bands that tapper towards the diamond. Finely made ones definitely show the stone floating - as you say - without compromising safety and without placing the diamond unconfortably high on the finger.

How about THIS ? The diamond is a tad smaller than what you have in mind, and the band could reversed knife edge styel near the stone to make it even more subtle if you so wish. Since these settings are custom made, anything is feasible :)

By the way, the 'floating' effect has little to do with the height of the setting, but more with the size of the pronga and ring band. Actually, very high settings need extra strong prongs that are necesarly not all that dainty. One thing to consider, IMO.

gia12324161_ring4.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, and you may like to look down this thread for a certain design... LINK

esk3d.jpg

IHeartHandbags

Rough_Rock
Thanks. That is a beautiful ring! How thin can a band like that go (in a strong metal, say platinum) while still being able to support the diamond? I have not seen thinner than 2.5mm.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2004 6:52:45 AM
Author: IHeartHandbags
Thanks. That is a beautiful ring! How thin can a band like that go (in a strong metal, say platinum) while still being able to support the diamond? I have not seen thinner than 2.5mm.
Support is not just about the width of the band, but also the thichness. As long as there is enough metal to keep the ring''s shape, it doesn''t have to be very wide. Also, the width of the band does not have to be the same all over.

Meaning... lest''s say that the band is up to 2mm thich and tappers from 3mm in the back of the finger to less than 2 mm on the upper side of the finger and near the stone.The wider part of the band that does not show keeps the ring from spinning and tlting, and the thin part in the front dissapears from view near the stone.

Let me see if I can draw this quickly ...
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How wide ? Next to the diamond the band can be as narrow as a sturdy real knife edge - just wide enough not to actually cut! It would need to be a bit thick for support, but this is no problem since you wnat the diamond set higher anyway.

Not sure the drawing below shows well what I mean, it's just a trial (5 min of Excel, not 1 day of fancy design software...)

tapsq.JPG

IHeartHandbags

Rough_Rock
Hmm, I see. Thanks...your advice has been very helpful.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Valeria did a great job! Another thing you can consider is a thin band with with small melee or pave set diamonds in the band. That way you reduce the sight of platinum and just see sparkle.

There are some examples of these all over this site. Michael B. has a thin pave ring which is 2mm in width with pave set diamonds that go all the way around the band for a total carat weight of .44ct. Then I think ritani has a VERY thin band which I believe is less than 2mm in width and has diamonds all the way around the band. If you do a search Michael B and Ritani you will see these bands!

I hope this helps!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
val your grasp of excel is mind-boggling, i had no idea that you could create graphics with it and i''ve been using it for 10+ years!
emthup.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any time...

12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results