shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s your favourite Vintage ring style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This one has some amazing greek key piercing on it. Piercing is so amazingly delicate looking in real life, looks like platinum lace. Dunno where this one is from.

Ring_1_75ct_5535xxxxxx.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I love this one.

ring1.62xxxx.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Another all time favorite.

lantiquespretty.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
(nevermind the notes on the pic from a custom project that didn''t happen.) This is an example of some of the most beautiful antique engraving I''ve ever seen, and I still kick myself for not buying this eternity ring. Seriously. Would have been a perfect fit too... 2mm with single cuts.

theonering5.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This is my favorite halo setting ever. (This is a modern piece, I must admit, but it''s very well made.) I''ve been tempted to have Greenlake Jewelers remake it for my 3.55ct OEC. But, I''m wishy-washy.

2cthalo1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Again.

2cthalo2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
One more.

2cthalo3.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Final pic of this one.

I realize I didn't move the huge folder of antique ring pics I have over from my old laptop, I guess... will have to do that; there's a few others that would be fun to share I think. As if I didn't just overload this thread enough already...
3.gif

2cthalo4.jpg

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I love them all!
30.gif

Edwardian and Deco are at the top of my list now.
I would love to find a deco oec with onyx or french cut rubies.

Ring_1.87ct_6180.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 6:02:53 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
A Singlestone piece. I lovelovelove square heads on round stones... since princess cuts were not yet in existence, this is I guess what the answer was for women who loved square rings (other than Asscher cuts I guess).
LGK - This is my favorite of the ones your posted!! Love the square head. Gorgeous!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi AJ!
35.gif

Those pics are from this eBay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Estate-3-28ct-Platinum-Edwardian-Art-Deco-Diamond-Ring_W0QQitemZ370153550639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item370153550639&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1326|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

It''s funny that you mentioned the way the diamonds wrap up because he specifically mentioned that in his listing as evidence of the fact that the ring was designed around this particular stone.

My ER and WB are from Peter Suchy, so I guess I always gravitate toward his listings. I''m only about an hour away from his shop!
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 5:42:48 AM
OK, I''ll bite. I have folders and folders full of pics... hmmm, what to start with... OK. This is the very first ring that started my obsession with antique jewelry, probably about five years ago. I''d always liked the settings but I''d never realized that there was such a thing as an OEC, since most of the lovely settings I see at work are reset with cruddy RBs. I just thought I didn''t care for diamonds, just the settings
6.gif
so imagine my shock when I finally saw a gorgeous OEC. (This one, in fact.) It''s a bit over a carat, and it fit me exactly, and it looked amazing on my hand... absolutely beautiful and incredibly delicate. It was a freaking firecracker, and I was instantly in looooove. I visited this ring in it''s showcase for almost a year until it sold. After seeing it I desperately desired a 1ct-ish OEC in a fabulous delicate filigree platinum setting. Never thought I''d ever own one though- this one was priced in the (near) neighborhood of what I paid for my 3.55ct OEC *and* it''s setting! I had no clue how overpriced it was...

Seeing it again after some years have passed, I realize that although the setting is cool, the way the stone is set definitely isn''t flattering to it. I still remember thinking that this was The Most Incredible Ring I''d Ever Seen, though. And I still really love the setting, even with the weird demi-bezel thing. The pics kinda suck. I wish I''d taken better ones when I could have.

LGK, I have heard you describe this story before of falling for the first OEC ring you saw - I am so happy to be able to see the ring that stole your heart!
Thankyou for all your drool-worthy contributions to the thread - there''s no such thing as too much honey. I am just looking through them all now.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 6:12:38 AM
I love this one.

LGK, I love all the pics you posted, but especially this one, and the one you would like as a re-set - I can see why!
30.gif

That reminds me of the ring in purrfect pear''s av..

Do you have plans to eventually re set your gorgeous big OEC?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Loves Vintage, cheers for the link! I must admit I'm also a regular visitor to Suchy's site, I just wish I had the right type of budget ..
40.gif
5.gif

Oohhh, so do you get to visit the shop in person? Very jealous!

iluvcarats, I luv this ring! I wasn't that familiar with the characteristics of each period (and admit I would love to learn more), but it seems most of the pieces I gravitate towards are deco.

That reminds me, LGK or other vintage lovers, any suggestions for good books (both educational and eyecandy), about antique jewellery?

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 5:05:01 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 2/2/2009 1:54:05 PM

Author: Loves Vintage

Trying again on that last one. Isn't it perfect? Is there a particular name for this prong style?

Gorgeous Loves Vintage! I adore the way the diamonds wrap over on the profile - reminds me of this one:

Yep, I believe they are ribbon or tab prongs - was never a fan before, but they are growing on me very quickly.

Where are your pics from LV?

AJ, where did you find this lovely??
30.gif

ETA: not sure why the picture won't show in the quote... i'm referring to the emerald ribbon/halo ring.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 10:38:39 AM
Hey Loves Vintage, cheers for the link! I must admit I''m also a regular visitor to Suchy''s site, I just wish I had the right type of budget ..
40.gif
5.gif

Yes! I''ve only been there a few times though. Peter himself helped me and my hubby with my E-ring. He is exceedingly nice and helpful.

I don''t have that type of budget either!! Fortunately, he has lower budget options available in the shop. I''m guessing they post only a fraction of what they have on eBay, which is how I originally found him.

I will go there in a few weeks to look for his assistance in setting my l''il OEC that I got from eBay a while back and posted about on here: Little OEC

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:40:49 AM
Author: chickpea
Date: 2/3/2009 5:05:01 AM

Date: 2/2/2009 1:54:05 PM

Trying again on that last one. Isn''t it perfect? Is there a particular name for this prong style?

Gorgeous Loves Vintage! I adore the way the diamonds wrap over on the profile - reminds me of this one:

Yep, I believe they are ribbon or tab prongs - was never a fan before, but they are growing on me very quickly.

Where are your pics from LV?

AJ, where did you find this lovely??
30.gif

ETA: not sure why the picture won''t show in the quote... i''m referring to the emerald ribbon/halo ring.

Hi chickpea, isn''t it darling?
I have to confess most of the objects of my affections are from Lang''s Antiques.
I don''t have the link handy, but it was under the Art Deco section.

Here''s another view, I can''t get past all these great lil details :
30.gif

L emerald ring side.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:56:19 AM

Hey Loves Vintage, cheers for the link! I must admit I''m also a regular visitor to Suchy''s site, I just wish I had the right type of budget ..
40.gif
5.gif

Yes! I''ve only been there a few times though. Peter himself helped me and my hubby with my E-ring. He is exceedingly nice and helpful.

I don''t have that type of budget either!! Fortunately, he has lower budget options available in the shop. I''m guessing they post only a fraction of what they have on eBay, which is how I originally found him.

I will go there in a few weeks to look for his assistance in setting my l''il OEC that I got from eBay a while back and posted about on here: Little OEC

Hey again LV,
ya, I wish I could see some of the range that isn''t online.
I remember your cute oec - have you taken any photos of it unset? They are really fun and easy to photo imo - how was the lil chip in person? I''m guessing fine as you''re keeping it right..
5.gif

Will it be going into a pendant hon? Can''t wait to see what you do
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 8:52:30 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 2/2/2009 8:43:54 PM
Author: coatimundi
Thanks for the links AJ! They are both gorgeous--I agree with you about the first one for my stones.

(and, I can''t wait to show ya.
2.gif
31.gif
13.gif
)

9.gif
I can''t wait either!!!
9.gif
ME TOO, wooooohooooooooooo
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 6:25:03 AM
This is my favorite halo setting ever. (This is a modern piece, I must admit, but it's very well made.) I've been tempted to have Greenlake Jewelers remake it for my 3.55ct OEC. But, I'm wishy-washy.

Very lovely LGK! I love some of the Greenlake settings. I love their engraving.

(and--
9.gif
--Skippy!)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:02:21 AM

Here''s another view, I can''t get past all these great lil details :

30.gif

This is so stunning!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:35:03 AM

I love this one.

LGK, I love all the pics you posted, but especially this one, and the one you would like as a re-set - I can see why!
30.gif

Eventually... I''m not a fan of round halo settings or triple halo three stones (on me anyway), and so the setting it''s in isn''t my favorite; it''s just what came with the stone, yanno? But, my car went kerflooey so any "non-essential" money is marked for new car right now, not new sparkly stuff
7.gif
(God I hate car shopping- jewelry shopping is sooooo much more fun!!)

Coati- yep, Greenlake''s engraving is really just as good as genuine antique, which is so cool; I have spent a bit of time pawing through settings in their showroom, which is quite fun. They have this sterling cigarette case that they engraved like an antique one... it''s pretty fabulous. I''m definitely going with them when/if I manage to reset my OEC.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 3:37:26 PM
Date: 2/3/2009 10:35:03 AM

I love this one.

30.gif

Eventually... I''m not a fan of round halo settings or triple halo three stones (on me anyway), and so the setting it''s in isn''t my favorite; it''s just what came with the stone, yanno? But, my car went kerflooey so any ''non-essential'' money is marked for new car right now, not new sparkly stuff
7.gif
(God I hate car shopping- jewelry shopping is sooooo much more fun!!)

Coati- yep, Greenlake''s engraving is really just as good as genuine antique, which is so cool; I have spent a bit of time pawing through settings in their showroom, which is quite fun. They have this sterling cigarette case that they engraved like an antique one... it''s pretty fabulous. I''m definitely going with them when/if I manage to reset my OEC.

Hi LGK,
Sounds like a good idea, taking your time to find a setting you really dig. I agree, new car=not as much fun as new jewels.
I would love to be able to visit places like Greenlake in person !
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 11:09:37 AM

Date: 2/3/2009 10:56:19 AM

40.gif
5.gif

Hey again LV,
ya, I wish I could see some of the range that isn''t online.
I remember your cute oec - have you taken any photos of it unset? They are really fun and easy to photo imo - how was the lil chip in person? I''m guessing fine as you''re keeping it right..
5.gif

Will it be going into a pendant hon? Can''t wait to see what you do
1.gif
AJ,

If there''s anything specific you''d like me to look for while I''m there, just let me know what you''re looking for. I know it''s probably hard to articulate if you don''t have something specific in mind. Sometimes it''s just nice to look around a bit. Not sure when I''ll go. I keep putting it off, and Saturdays are the only day I could go.

I can''t really see the chip, so it''s no problem for me. It will be a pendant, maybe a thin bezel or the flowery setting or maybe they''ll have something at the shop that they could set it in. That would be fun! It is a little sparkler though, that''s for sure. I''ll try to take some pics this weekend!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi again LV, that is a very kind offer, thankyou!
At this moment, all my jewelry budget is going towards having my umbalite garnet set in a RHR - but TBH I''ve hit a bit of a brickwall. I can''t find a vendor I both want to use and is in budget, lol..

But I''ll keep trying.

I am planning on going custom, but if it doesn''t work out, a vintage setting would be fantastic..Hrmm..maybe you could message here next time you plan on going, and we could check if there''s anything suitable..? That would be awesome![:appl:

Looking forward to seeing how you go with your OEC - I''m sure whatever you decide will be beautiful.
1.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,

I''ll let you know the next time I will be there. How fun!

And, in the spirit of this thread, here''s another one I really like. Love the square head the little notch detail under the side diamonds.

abd81_1.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view. Love the character of the setting and its obvious handmade-ness!

a bdcc_1.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, from the top.

a bd1f_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results