shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Pic of OEC, please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''m thinking about buying this little OEC. What is that in the upper left, just before noon time? An inclusion? A chip? It''s an SI1.

Thank you so much!

little oec dec 10.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It looks like either a chip or a natural in the girdle. Something like this is not unusual in a vintage stone. Check to make sure the vendor has a good refund/return policy and then you can assess it in person. It should be set in a way that protects the girdle. Looks like a beautiful stone, and that bump wouldn''t be enough to dissuade me from buying the stone!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks like a chip.
What is the girdle rated at?

1little oec dec 10.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have more pictures available? Hard to tell if this OEC has nice clean crisp facets and the picture is bad or if it''s not the greatest cut...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl, that photo is really good. I never know what I''m looking for in inclusions.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl, Thank you for marking up the image like that! There is no report, so I don''t have the girdle rating.

Upgradeable, Thanks for your reply. It''s a really small stone and very inexpensive too. I liked the faceting, but now I''m wondering if it might be too small.

Neatfreak, Sorry, no other pics. I like the chunkiness of the facets though, no? And, congrats on 10,000!!!!
36.gif

It is .28 and 3.49 mm Dia. That''s not too small for a pendant, right?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 3:53:10 PM
Author: Addy
Karl, that photo is really good. I never know what I''m looking for in inclusions.
I know, same here! That mark-up is really helpful!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:53:41 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Karl, Thank you for marking up the image like that! There is no report, so I don't have the girdle rating.

Upgradeable, Thanks for your reply. It's a really small stone and very inexpensive too. I liked the faceting, but now I'm wondering if it might be too small.

Neatfreak, Sorry, no other pics. I like the chunkiness of the facets though, no? And, congrats on 10,000!!!!
36.gif

It is .28 and 3.49 mm Dia. That's not too small for a pendant, right?
put it into a small bezel on a thin chain and it would make a kicken everyday pendant.
In a bezel the chip wont matter one bit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 4:00:27 PM
Author: strmrdr

Karl, Thank you for marking up the image like that! There is no report, so I don''t have the girdle rating.

Upgradeable, Thanks for your reply. It''s a really small stone and very inexpensive too. I liked the faceting, but now I''m wondering if it might be too small.

36.gif

put it into a small bezel on a thin chain and it would make a kicken everyday pendant.
It would make a kicken pendant!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

36.gif

Not too small at all! Here is my .25 OEC pendant in a super thin bezel. The stone looks horrible in this picture, but I took the pic for the setting. It looks really nice as an everyday pendant as Storm said:

IMG_0723423.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

36.gif

Storm,

You enabled me!!! I just bought it!!!

Thank you!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:10:08 PM
Author: neatfreak

36.gif

Not too small at all! Here is my .25 OEC pendant in a super thin bezel. The stone looks horrible in this picture, but I took the pic for the setting. It looks really nice as an everyday pendant as Storm said:
yep like that except I would turn the rings on the bezel sideways (personal preference)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 4:09:24 PM
Author: Lorelei

36.gif

Ahhh, thank you, dear Lorelei! You''ve affirmed my decision!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:12:29 PM

Storm,

You enabled me!!! I just bought it!!!

Thank you!!
congrates!!!!!
Don''t forget the pics when you get it :}

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 4:13:44 PM

Date: 12/10/2008 4:09:24 PM
Author: Lorelei

36.gif

Ahhh, thank you, dear Lorelei! You''ve affirmed my decision!!
Most welcome! And as Stormy would say, congrates!!!!
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 4:10:08 PM
Author: neatfreak

Karl, Thank you for marking up the image like that! There is no report, so I don't have the girdle rating.

Upgradeable, Thanks for your reply. It's a really small stone and very inexpensive too. I liked the faceting, but now I'm wondering if it might be too small.

36.gif

It is .28 and 3.49 mm Dia. That's not too small for a pendant, right?

NF, Thanks for the pic! That's a lovely bezel.

I was actually thinking of finding a flowery, vintagey type setting (with the curvy edges), but no idea where to look for one . . . yet. I'm not describing it very well, but saw a post on here maybe a month or so ago.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:19:36 PM

I was actually thinking of finding a flowery, vintagey type setting (with the curvy edges), but no idea where to look for one . . . yet. I''m not describing it very well, but saw a post on here maybe a month or so ago.

http://www.stuller.com/products/product.aspx?gid=18557
Careful placement of the chip next to a prong would be required but it would rock.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:22:47 PM

I was actually thinking of finding a flowery, vintagey type setting (with the curvy edges), but no idea where to look for one . . . yet. I''m not describing it very well, but saw a post on here maybe a month or so ago.

Careful placement of the chip next to a prong would be required but it would rock.

That would be gorgeous!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! You''re good!

Am I able to order from them directly? Or should I bring this to my jeweler? Am I good with the .25 setting?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can''t order directly, but almost any jeweller can. I think Wink can if you''re looking for someone to set it for you.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:30:10 PM

Wow! You''re good!

Am I able to order from them directly? Or should I bring this to my jeweler? Am I good with the .25 setting?
They don''t sell direct go by the nearest MM size over the size of your stone.
So you would use the .18 size for 3.49MM.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
L O V E the buttercup!!! That is a perfect stone for a pendant and the setting that Karl posted is a perfect choice!! Please, make sure to post pics for all of us vintage lovers!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, great! Then, I think I will take it to the estate jewelry shop where we found my engagement and wedding rings, and I'll have them do the setting. A stone came out of my wedding band right after we got married, so I'll bring that in at the same time!!

Oh, and can I just tell you all that it was $160 on ebay (no shipping charge.) I did good, right?!

Oh, and I will post pics too!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:49:43 PM
Ok, great! Then, I think I will take it to the estate jewelry shop where we found my engagement and wedding rings, and I''ll have them do the setting. A stone came out of my wedding band right after we got married, so I''ll bring that in at the same time!!

Oh, and can I just tell you all that it was $160 on ebay (no shipping charge.) I did good, right?!

Oh, and I will post pics too!
sounds good if the color is reasonable.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes, forgot to say that the color is listed as k, but who knows, right? My ring is icy white (a D or an E, I forget which), so I''m preparing myself for some warmth!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:55:26 PM
Oh, yes, forgot to say that the color is listed as k, but who knows, right? My ring is icy white (a D or an E, I forget which), so I''m preparing myself for some warmth!
kewl
sounds like you did good :}

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh, sorry for so many posts on this, but I thought this was interesting. I asked the seller if he had any history on the stone, and he told me that they purchased it from a "jewelry recycler," that it was in a solitaire engagement ring and judging by the cut, looks to have been cut in the early to mid 1960s.

The last part does not seem accurate. I'd think it's quite a few decades older.

ETA: And, thanks for your last post Karl.
36.gif

ETAA: Imagine if I bought a half carat . . . you guys would never stop hearing about it!!

This is too funny, I have this on my watch list too... I wanted it for a bezel pendant
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results