shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s your favourite Vintage ring style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
With all the hype about vintage/antique jewellery lately on PS, I thought it may be fun to have a thread where we can list our favourite styles or pieces. I know the majority of us keep an inspiration or "want" file of pics from all over the place, and mine personally includes alot of vintage style lately.

I'm mainly talking rings, but feel free to post anything.

Which features do you love? Is it the engraving; filigree; pierced; five stone rings; side stones like emeralds and sapphires?
Do you like illusion heads, fishtail or ribbon prongs?

Please of course post pics of your fave pieces! And if you have info like period etc to discuss, than share that too
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I''m partial to 5 stones, this is my wedding ring, I don''t know it''s history, but another antique jewelry dealer told me it''s probably c. 1900-1910.

wring5678.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
These are earrings I had designed for my birthday, not antique, but this is a style I love, milgrain and filigree. I''d love a ring that matches, one day.

earrgs3245.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
This is a ring I adore, glitterata''s famous transitional cut!

glittran.jpg

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
I really liked miraclerule''s daughter''s e-ring:

cdubs%20ring.JPG

I suppose this is called filigree? I''m not sure if this is vintage, but it certainly looks to be that style.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou MishB for posting your goodies, they are both very pretty - a matching set with those earrings would be awesome.
I also love G''s rings, especially that trans - great photo too!
30.gif

Brooklyngirl, thanks for posting that pic, I had almost forgotten about that ring - you''re right, its a stunner!

Just to be clear, these don''t have to be things that you own, "dream pieces" are great too.

Here''s one of mine, from Lang''s site - I really dig this art deco style, and of course the bezel - yum!

L asscher deco.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And I would very much like to own a piece with really nice engraving - I have a major crush on vintage engraving lately, especially floral motifs..

SS blosson shank.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Not to mention three stones - I like pretty much any vintage 3 stone I see lately (I'm sure plenty of that can be attributed to Ms. Coati)
2.gif

I thought the profile on this one was a knock-out - I love how the baskets look like crowns
30.gif

L 3 stone1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Front view:

Still looking forward to hear others'' loves !

L 3 stone 2.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:14:06 AM
Author: MishB
These are earrings I had designed for my birthday, not antique, but this is a style I love, milgrain and filigree. I'd love a ring that matches, one day.
Gosh Mish, I loved those earrings the first time I saw them, and they STILL make me swoon!
30.gif

I don't really have a favorite piece/style, I don't think....

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 2/1/2009 9:27:08 AM
Author: Ellen
Gosh Mish, I loved those earrings the first time I saw them, and they STILL make me swoon!
30.gif

I don't really have a favorite piece/style, I don't think....[/quote]

Really Ellen? Is that because you like it all?
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:32:03 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 2/1/2009 9:27:08 AM
Author: Ellen
30.gif

I don''t really have a favorite piece/style, I don''t think....

Really Ellen? Is that because you like it all?
31.gif

lol I really DO like a lot of older stuff.
bat%20eyes3.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I love anything bead-set with milgraining. They are just so sparkly and eye-catching! I''m also partial to cathedrals and filligree carvings.

Let me see what pics I can find...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my grandmothers ring which was a round diamond set in an octagonal setting of platinum in 1926. Unfortunately for me, my cousin inherited it.
8.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I really love this 4.16 Edwardian Sapphire Ring from Fay Cullen. The details on the setting are amazing!
30.gif

Here is a full profile shot:

sapphire_1_1_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
You can see the bead-setting and milgraining up close:

sapphire2_1_1.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget''s milgrained, bezeled diamond stubs makes my heart stop every time I see them.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it all..............
9.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 8:55:48 AM
Thankyou MishB for posting your goodies, they are both very pretty - a matching set with those earrings would be awesome.
I also love G's rings, especially that trans - great photo too!
30.gif

Brooklyngirl, thanks for posting that pic, I had almost forgotten about that ring - you're right, its a stunner!

Just to be clear, these don't have to be things that you own, 'dream pieces' are great too.

Here's one of mine, from Lang's site - I really dig this art deco style, and of course the bezel - yum!
That's a pretty ring, however, I wouldn't have thought of it as vintage..more contemporary (in my mind). When I think vintage/antique, I think of older cuts (OEC/OMC), set into something with a lot of engraving, floral patterns, filigree. The ring posted right under this ring is what I would classify as vintage/antique looking. I specifically told the designer I didn't want ANY engraving on my new ring (or milgrain), because that would make it look antique, and I'm more a modern/contemporary gal! I sure hope he listens to me! lol
29.gif
Lang's site does have some great looking pieces though don't they?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:14:06 AM
Author: MishB
These are earrings I had designed for my birthday, not antique, but this is a style I love, milgrain and filigree. I''d love a ring that matches, one day.
Mish..those earrings are sooooooo FABULOUS!!
30.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s all in the details for me. I like different things at different times, but right now I''m going through a bit of phase of liking wider rings, wider than the diamond or stone, with sapphires. I really like this Single Stone ring. I have no idea on price, I couldn''t afford it, but if I ever thought I could I''d be on the phone so quickly I''d give myself whiplash.

SS antique sapphire ring.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking on Lang''s to find more examples of what I like, but their prices are so expensive that I couldn''t stay focused!

I''ve also always liked the boxy style of bands like this.

NY Estate box Edwardian band.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s been fun looking for stuff! This is my last one.

NY Estate OMC with sapphires.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 10:51:25 AM
Author: platinumrock
I love anything bead-set with milgraining. They are just so sparkly and eye-catching! I'm also partial to cathedrals and filligree carvings.

Let me see what pics I can find...

I too love pretty much anything with milgrain lately ptrock. Thankyou for posting those pics - and I love your new quote, that my makes me lol everytime, I love family guy !

I hear you Ellen, clearly I'm very partial myself
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 1:15:00 PM
Author: AprilBaby
I love my grandmothers ring which was a round diamond set in an octagonal setting of platinum in 1926. Unfortunately for me, my cousin inherited it.
8.gif

Hi Aprilbaby, I think those six and eight sided bezels are an timeless and gorgeous style - what a shame you weren''t able to receive it - here is a pic of a filigree six sided bezel I thought you may like.
5.gif

L bezel filigree.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:27:16 PM
Author: Addy
It''s all in the details for me. I like different things at different times, but right now I''m going through a bit of phase of liking wider rings, wider than the diamond or stone, with sapphires. I really like this Single Stone ring. I have no idea on price, I couldn''t afford it, but if I ever thought I could I''d be on the phone so quickly I''d give myself whiplash.

Thanks Addy for your contributions - lol, whiplash! I agree with you on the ring, its very pretty.
I''m also very much loving vintage bands. It would be awesome if a company could make them similiar for a more affordable price bracket than SS, don''t you think?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 4:08:03 AM

Thanks Addy for your contributions - lol, whiplash! I agree with you on the ring, its very pretty.

I''m also very much loving vintage bands. It would be awesome if a company could make them similiar for a more affordable price bracket than SS, don''t you think?

I feel so cheap. I can''t afford SS prices. Can reproductions just not be made any less expensively or is there a gaping hole in the market?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:17:33 AM
Date: 2/2/2009 4:08:03 AM

I feel so cheap. I can''t afford SS prices. Can reproductions just not be made any less expensively or is there a gaping hole in the market?

My point exactly Addy! I feel there is too..
Lol, don''t feel bad - not being able to afford SS is normal, not cheap lovey!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results